hulika

Author Topic: 64 bit OS for pc daw  (Read 2083 times)

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
64 bit OS for pc daw
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »
has anyone here used with success a 64-bit OS in a pc daw?

a friend's got an intel mac with 8 gigs of ram.  nalula mata ko when he showed me the amount of  ram he's got.  and he's only usin soundtrack pro for scoring.  short of gettin a mac, i'm curious bout how us pc users can get through the 32-bit OS 2 gig ram barrier for applications.  however, it's very prevalent that a lot of incompatibility problems are caused by 64-bit windows.  so i just wanna find out if you've had any success with x64 windows in the quest for more ram.

:-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:45:53 PM by x_taxi »
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: 64 bit OS for pc daw
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
Your biggest hurdle will be finding suitable drivers. Not only that, even Vista 64 performs worse than XP at this time. Macs have had it good with their 64 bit OSX but good luck trying to bootcamp your fave windows apps with it.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »
MOTU is having a download site for Vista 32 and 64 for their drivers on www.motu.com..also Nuendo CLAIMS vista WILL work BUT is yet supported hehehe  :-D.. hmmmm looks like there is hope for people like us ex-taxi ( i need more RAM !!!)
yaan mo ex taxi..kapag nagawa ko na yun babalitaan kita hehehe.. i will be running it on an intel quad core first with 4 gigs..it all is ok..i'll bump it to 8 gigs..lets keep our fingers crossed  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 03:02:13 PM »
pare..ok lang hindi ko pa nasusubukan yung convo reverb..pero dati kasi sa p4 na HP na 2 gigs madalas himatayin yung pc ko hehehe..ngayong 4 gigs na, ok lang kahit na 192k/32 pa nirerecord ko.. 8-).. hindi ko pa nasusubukan sa 24 tracks with plugins eh.. i will try to experiment..
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:17:54 AM »
pare ko.. me calculations ako sa isang thread at mukhang promising eh. hindi na kailangan yata mag experiment kasi yung mga files na tinignan ko at na compute e malapit sa actual disk usage... 8-).. the only problem i see is kung gaano kabilis yung hard disk magsulat ng data at paano nya mape play yung lahat ng wav kung maraming tracks.. no i take it back..kailangan ngang i "experiment" yung hard disk para makita kung ilang bit rate at sampling rate ang kaya nito at ilang tracks bago maghingalo o tuluyang ma cardiac arrest hehehe :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:38:08 AM »
@Baldo & x,

I think you should see my post here: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,57935.msg667501.html#new
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:20 AM »
i stick with what works for now which are: OSX on my G5 and Windows XP on my PC. The thing with XP, even the 64 bit version, the drivers are still shoddy from 64 bit stuff being so new. I would recommend keeping things simple, investing in good gear to record and focus your efforts on recording as well as you can with the existing OS on your computer.

Kit, Nuendo has been reported to work well with Vista but as others in the Steinberg boards are quick to report, the amount of bugs with Vista is too much liability to even consider a lot of core users to jump ship from XP just yet.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:42:23 AM »
Not only that, abyss. I absolutely hate how they put in so much DRM into Vista. Maybe that's why latency performance is so terrible. Plus, true 64-bit Vista drivers for a lot of soundcards have been delayed. I'm sticking with XP until the last possible moment.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:38:57 AM »
Not only that, abyss. I absolutely hate how they put in so much DRM into Vista. Maybe that's why latency performance is so terrible. Plus, true 64-bit Vista drivers for a lot of soundcards have been delayed. I'm sticking with XP until the last possible moment.

yeah, i was appalled why there was so much of a push on DRM to be a big part of Vista. I guess MS is trying to do the Big Brother bit. Fat chance. I swear, if my music programs ran on Linux, I would've jumped the MS ship a long time ago. And so far, Apple hasn't pi**ed me off with any annoying OSX tomfoolery......yet.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:25:55 PM »
A Few months ago when i started experimenting MAC OSX for pc with my AMD X2 4600+ and DFI mobo and i had problems activating my EMU but i was also able to activate the Nvidia Sound Card driver . Thats why i settled in using USB Mixer instead.

I was able to try Cubase 4 for OSX and twas smooth but i havent tried tons of plugins yet. :)
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »
A Few months ago when i started experimenting MAC OSX for pc with my AMD X2 4600+ and DFI mobo and i had problems activating my EMU but i was also able to activate the Nvidia Sound Card driver . Thats why i settled in using USB Mixer instead.

I was able to try Cubase 4 for OSX and twas smooth but i havent tried tons of plugins yet. :)

i dont have the guts to even try C4 yet.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »
Samplitude anyone?  :-D Supposedly the best summing engine on the planet. I'm still trying to get to grips with my Samp V8SE.