hulika

Author Topic: Dirty Power  (Read 1589 times)

Offline jgmredor

Dirty Power
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
Hi Everyone!

So I have this annoying noise in my home setup. All things being equal, guitar, board, power supply, pick. Pati shoes and clothes! Whenever I start playing hiss... it's frustrating.

Example, I got a THR (same issue with 3 other amps). Plug it in the wall outlet. Hisssy. Use batteries and dead silent (of course not applicable for the other 3 amps). I tried all outlets at home and the outlet in the garage doesn't give me noise problems. Go to my parent's house, silent! Go to my friend's house, silent!

Googled it and there were a few articles talking about a power conditioner.

Any of you have this problem? How did you solve it?

Salamat!

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Dirty Power
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Hi Everyone!

So I have this annoying noise in my home setup. All things being equal, guitar, board, power supply, pick. Pati shoes and clothes! Whenever I start playing hiss... it's frustrating.

Example, I got a THR (same issue with 3 other amps). Plug it in the wall outlet. Hisssy. Use batteries and dead silent (of course not applicable for the other 3 amps). I tried all outlets at home and the outlet in the garage doesn't give me noise problems. Go to my parent's house, silent! Go to my friend's house, silent!

Salamat!

Sounds like you need a Furman.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Salamat!

ganyan din sa condo ko papsi. dirty power. power conditioner nga ata kailangan mo. but its pricey and needs to be imported. AFAIK wala nito locally.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
Try mo mag inquire sa Audiophile regarding Samson power conditioners.

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
@Skybox - too expensive. Hahaha!

@Ralph - did you do something about it or let go?

@cayle - malamang madugo yan. Sana mga panther AVR price range lang.

Would it damage gear kaya since it's causing unwanted noise?

Would a noise suppressor (NS-2, Smart Gate, Noise Cmamp, etc) at the start of the chain help?

And btw, dead quiet on my fender noiseless pups but hissy on everything else. Hiss also increases as the amp wattage increases kahit same low volume.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
@Skybox - too expensive. Hahaha!

@Ralph - did you do something about it or let go?

@cayle - malamang madugo yan. Sana mga panther AVR price range lang.

Would it damage gear kaya since it's causing unwanted noise?

Would a noise suppressor (NS-2, Smart Gate, Noise Cmamp, etc) at the start of the chain help?

And btw, dead quiet on my fender noiseless pups but hissy on everything else. Hiss also increases as the amp wattage increases kahit same low volume.

Sudden spikes or surges can cause damage sa gear. Best if you use an AVR with fuse for every amp. Noisy or dirty electrical supplies are more likely to generate these sudden surges. Okay lang if fuse ng amp ang pumutok but if it hits the transformer, malaking problem yan.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Sudden spikes or surges can cause damage sa gear. Best if you use an AVR with fuse for every amp. Noisy or dirty electrical supplies are more likely to generate these sudden surges. Okay lang if fuse ng amp ang pumutok but if it hits the transformer, malaking problem yan.

+1

I let the noise go nalang. bahay lang naman eh, di naman ako nagma-mic ng amp hahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »
Question: is your house wired for a 3 prong ac cable? If so, are your amps also wired for thus grounding scheme? Amps I built typically are quieter when plugged in a 3 prong socket.

I do have an amp though that uses a 2 prong plug and when I plug it in a 3 prong socket, there is a significant hiss. The fix is simple: flip the plug so that the right prong now plugs into the left slot on the AC socket. This is what that old polarity switch in old fender amps was used for.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
Question: is your house wired for a 3 prong ac cable? If so, are your amps also wired for thus grounding scheme? Amps I built typically are quieter when plugged in a 3 prong socket.

I do have an amp though that uses a 2 prong plug and when I plug it in a 3 prong socket, there is a significant hiss. The fix is simple: flip the plug so that the right prong now plugs into the left slot on the AC socket. This is what that old polarity switch in old fender amps was used for.

Interesting... will try this later. 3 prong basically yung amps. Outlet is 2 lang. Hence the panther extension. When you say flip just reverse the way I plug it in the outlet?  :-D

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
To add:
Power conditioners will not work effectively if not grounded correctly. They may not work at all if the house's wiring is poor and/or with 2-prongs only. Power conditioners come with 3-prongs or a ground wire screw which should always be properly attached to a ground. 3 to 2 prong adaptors will not do anything either except lift the ground.

One affordable and locally available power conditioner brand is the Xindac. Depending on the number of outlets, it only costs between PHP5-7K.

The problem, however, is the power source. It may be due to the old and/or poor wiring of the house or area (blame MERALCO if you're in the NCR!  :lol:)  The solution is quite simple though - have a licensed (i cannot stress licensed enough) electrician wire at least one of your outlets to 3-prong that is grounded to earth and use that outlet alone for your amps.

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
It's almost the weekend. Wee! Will have the time to try this.

Thanks for the responses.  :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 03:24:19 PM »
Yes

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »
If amps are 3 prong and 2 prong yung house power mo this may not do much but try anyway

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
Bought a new Panther extension. The one with a couple of 2 prongs and a couple of 3 prongs. Individual switches. Reduced hissss SIGNIFICANTLY. It's now tolerable.  :-D

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:06 AM »
Bought a new Panther extension. The one with a couple of 2 prongs and a couple of 3 prongs. Individual switches. Reduced hissss SIGNIFICANTLY. It's now tolerable.  :-D

That's great! Try to check if the Panther has a screw at the back for ground. You could strip an electrical wire's end and attach it to that then strip the other end and attach it to the nearest outside of the house water pipe. Try to look for a pipe that has a portion of it buried, that would be best. It May reduce the hiss more. A few of my friends say that attaching the wire to those iron grills that protect windows from intruders also work. :)

EDIT:
Sorry, I may have misunderstood your post. :) The Panther is a power strip? If so, sorry. Got excited there. Hehe

Anyways, if you have one of those orange 3 to 2 prong converters with what looks like a tongue, you could attach the wire to the tongue with a hole (the ground lift) and the other end to  a pipe or grill just like above. Just make sure that your power cord's 3rd prong has not been removed for it to work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:08:41 AM by curiousdcat »