hulika

Author Topic: Drum Sheet Music Transcription  (Read 5630 times)

Offline aldoomsday

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Drum Sheet Music Transcription
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
Hi. My name is Aldo and I play drums for Hansom. If you’d like to hear our music, check us out at www.youtube.com/hansommusic or www.soundcloud.com/hansomband.

I took up Michael Alba’s drum program late last year, which I strongly recommend for any intermediate to professional level drummers out there. Just search “Michael Alba Drum Program” on Facebook.

One of the things I learned there was how to score sheet music for drums. Previously, I had only a little bit of experience with sheet music when I dabbled for a short time in drumming for my school’s theatre org. When I took sir Mike’s class, I found that developing an understanding of sheet music actually helps you “visualize” the sounds and patterns you can make with a drum set – or any instrument for that matter, which is probably why classical musicians tend to be so precise with their craft.

Since I started playing drums at gigs eight years ago, I’ve rarely ever encountered drummers who weren’t self-taught. This is not to discredit self-taught musicians out there, since the local gig scene is full of incredibly talented self-taught artists, many of whom I look up to. With that in mind, I’d like to take this time to encourage any drummers reading this to give sheet music a try. For those familiar with reading music tabs, it’s actually not that different, although traditional sheet music gives you more versatility and can be read in real-time playing if you’re experienced enough. I’m nowhere near that point, but I’d like to be.

This is a particularly useful skill for session drummers who don’t have too much time to learn a song, but wouldn’t just want to “wing it” by gig time. On the flip side, for bands who may need to hire session drummers, it would be much easier for a drummer who's literate in sheet music to learn your songs if you already have a drum score of your songs prepared. Unfortunately, sheet music for drums is very hard to come by. Due to intellectual property concerns, you usually have to pay to acquire sheet music online.

My current objective for myself is to practice transcribing drum pieces to sheet music as much as possible. However, I never really know where to start and what songs to choose. I feel like it would be more of a challenge if I could try transcribing songs that I’m not too familiar with or songs that I don’t choose for myself.

So here’s my proposal. If you would like to have a transcribed copy of drum score for a song or music piece, I’ll try to make it for you. For now, I’ll probably keep this a free service since I’m nowhere near the caliber of people who score music professionally. Since I’m still learning, the pieces you get may not be perfect, but at least you’ll still have something.

Here’s how it’ll work:
1. You email me your request at aldo.vergeldedios@yahoo.com, preferably with an attached file of the song, or a link to the song via youtube, soundcoud, or other sites.
2. I’ll reply (hopefully) within a week or two with a PDF file of the drum score for that song. Naturally, more difficult songs will take longer to transcribe.
3. I’ll post a link to download the PDF of the score here for anyone else to download for free.

Don’t think that I should be the only one transcribing here! If anyone would like to transcribe music as well, please post here so that people needing drum scores can contact you. My only request is for other transcribers to share their work here as well.

I'll start by posting a legend for the corresponding sounds indicated by each "note" on a score very soon!

I’d like to encourage more sharing of ideas like these to contribute to the overall quality and culture among local musicians.

Please comment with any thoughts and suggestions to improve on this idea!

PS: For those looking for Music Scoring programs, I highly recommend Sibelius 7, which is what I use. I don't know any free downloads for it other than a sample version, but if anyone else knows any affordable/free scoring programs, please share a link to it so others can access it.

-------------
Update (July 29)

I'm still working on someone's request for Jesus The Same by Israel & New Breed. Medyo rusty nga lang ako at medyo nalilito ako sa bagsakan ng drums so it's taking some time. If anyone would like to try transcribing it as well, please feel free to give it a try.

Thanks to user harugrugrug for contributing Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5. I'm glad to see a list of scores starting to come together.

1. Breathe by Pink Floyd - http://www.mediafire.com/download/mec51hyd2oil8o6/Breathe.pdf

2. Time by Pink Floyd - http://www.mediafire.com/download/9p2tjwvbzc4drno/Time.pdf

3. Everything's Alright from Jesus Christ Superstar (1970 OST) by Andrew Lloyd Webber - http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae60a5so502b7qf/06_Everything's_Alright.pdf

4. Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 (from user harugrugrug) - http://www.mediafire.com/download/6xahn78hcvw923r/Moves_Like_Jagger.zip
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:37:21 PM by aldoomsday »

Offline brokensticks

Re: Drum Sheet Music Transcription
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
wow thanks sir! this is a nice thread!

Offline uglyguy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
sir pakita nga po ng sample .. thanks

Offline aldoomsday

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
sir pakita nga po ng sample .. thanks

Posted!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
nicely done!

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »

sinipra ko para sa student ko for recital namin,hehe. madami pang ganyan sa trabaho na kinapa ko,hehe

yan yung moves like jagger ni meytal cohen at jordan ruddess
hehe,nabaliw ako dyan,isang araw ko kinarir yan,at alam ko sira pa pc ko,namamatay magisa.hehe
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:17:40 PM by harugrugrug »
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline aldoomsday

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »

sinipra ko para sa student ko for recital namin,hehe. madami pang ganyan sa trabaho na kinapa ko,hehe

yan yung moves like jagger ni meytal cohen at jordan ruddess
hehe,nabaliw ako dyan,isang araw ko kinarir yan,at alam ko sira pa pc ko,namamatay magisa.hehe

Ayos ah! Nag-iiba pa yung time signature. Thanks for the share! Do you mind if I add this to the list on my initial post?

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
sige sama mo sa thread na ito,hehe. lost some of my files na nga e,those days i was using sibelius 5 pa,hehe. or i think 4.
challenge my friend na gumawa ka na unconvetional charts like jazz chart or samba charts. tapos lagay mo mga bagsakan as hits
lang pero you don't notate everynote. like play 4 bars tapos may bagsakan etc. :wave:
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
Ang hirap basahin nito.

Don't notate every bar.  Notate 1 measure tapos next measure may nakalagay play 6 bars.  Tapos next bar yung fill in or bagsakan as an example.

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »
Ang hirap basahin nito.

Don't notate every bar.  Notate 1 measure tapos next measure may nakalagay play 6 bars.  Tapos next bar yung fill in or bagsakan as an example.

hehe,this is a progressive tune kaya ni note per note basis ko din para machallenge ang students in reading skills,
mahirap magshortcut ng charts kung ala dream theater and areglo
pero when i use my own charts,i just use play 8,fill on 8th. hehe.it saves time

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »
hehe,this is a progressive tune kaya ni note per note basis ko din para machallenge ang students in reading skills,
mahirap magshortcut ng charts kung ala dream theater and areglo
pero when i use my own charts,i just use play 8,fill on 8th. hehe.it saves time

Maganda nga pang practice for reading.

Offline aldoomsday

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
Ang hirap basahin nito.

I actually get really OC when I transcribe and the drummer doesn't actually repeat the exact same pattern throughout that part of the song so I don't want to put "play X bars" if it's not a repetitive pattern.

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
I actually get really OC when I transcribe and the drummer doesn't actually repeat the exact same pattern throughout that part of the song so I don't want to put "play X bars" if it's not a repetitive pattern.

hehe.uu nga may mga makulit na drummer na hindi makaposte at nagkataon na OC din ako.hehe
pero kung nagttranscribe ka para sa isang tao na gusto e detailed e OC mode ka,pero kung specific fills lang naman at pinaka essence ng beat lang e it would be easier sa x bars na lang,hehe. control c and v lang yan sa sibelius :razz:

Offline aldoomsday

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »
hehe.uu nga may mga makulit na drummer na hindi makaposte at nagkataon na OC din ako.hehe
pero kung nagttranscribe ka para sa isang tao na gusto e detailed e OC mode ka,pero kung specific fills lang naman at pinaka essence ng beat lang e it would be easier sa x bars na lang,hehe. control c and v lang yan sa sibelius :razz:

Thanks for the tip bro! I guess basta magets naman ng nagbabasa, pwede na.

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip bro! I guess basta magets naman ng nagbabasa, pwede na.

at tip din bro,yung iba kahit marunong magbasa ng notes e di naman marunong maginterpret ng charts.
so when you do charts for someone you don't know e alamin mo din ang chart interpreting skills nila.
specially for jazz and big band,kasi noob ako dyan at napahiya pa dati kasi iba pala ang pag interpret ng jazz kesa sa normal na pop songs. :)

Offline bdacebedo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
I don't know any free downloads for it other than a sample version, but if anyone else knows any affordable/free scoring programs, please share a link to it so others can access it.

Hi there..

Try out these free softwares, Drumburp gamit ko yan pag gumagawa ako ng tabs ng grooves, fills at buong drums ng song. Lilypond naman kapag i-export ko na yung mga nagawa ko na tabs into music sheets (pdf) para lang mapadali at pwede mo na i-printout  nakatulong din sa akin ito para maintindihan ko ang mga note values and time signatures at magbilang at magbasa ng drum music sheet, kasi ang alam ko lang talaga nuon ay magbasa ng tabs at pumalo.

Ngayon medyo marunong na ako mag transcribe ng drum music sheet using these software at siyempre sa manual transcribing rin gamit lang blank sheet music at pencil.

Here are the links:

Drumburp  http://whatang.org/
Lilypond  http://www.lilypond.org/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:38:18 PM by bdacebedo »

Offline tawelwel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
san po ang skul ni sir michael alba?pwede po ba mahingi contact nya?salamat po