hulika

Author Topic: Best Hip Hop Artist  (Read 25607 times)

Offline Black.gh0st.Knife

Re: Best Hip Hop Artist
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
No one could be the best for me. But there are A LOT of music from Hiphop artists that are worth listening to. The best produced hiphop music are from the golden age era, with artists like:

Nas
Biggie Smalls
Wutang Clan
Killarmy
Sunz of Man
Krs-One
Gangstarr
Marley Marl
Jeru da Damaja
Afu Ra
Az
Canibus
Mobb Deep
Big L
Mood
Kool G Rap
Gravediggaz
Heltah Skeltah
OGC
Black Moon
Das Efx
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Hieroglyphics
Cypress Hill
De La Soul
Grand Agent
House of Pain
Jurassic 5
Dilated Peoples
Large Professor
MC Lyte
Blackstar
Tribe Called Quest
Smiff n Wessun
Souls of Mischief
People Under the Stairs
The Roots
The Firm
Roots Manuvah
MC Supernatural
Digable Planets

and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
this was the vibe before: now you have emcees who dress like ladies, trying to look cute, putting fashion first before lyrical intricacy.
Enough of the colorful/crunk/south/chicken dance/auto-tune garbage.
The culture needs 'ethnic cleansing'.
"i don't have butterflies in my stomach, it's infested with bats!" - Plazma

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »
@Black.gh0st.Knife: great list, you have all the classics covered...but no public enemy, dr. dre and snoop dog? "the chronic" and "doggystyle" are classics...and p.e./hank shocklee is simply unparalleled for sheer sonic onslaught..apocalyptic stuff it is...

there's also the fairly quirky/"avant garde"/fringe stuff from the era like deltron3030 (with del tha funkee homosapien who later on went to join the gorillaz), dr octagon, boogiemonsters, channel live (they have a killer track "mad izm" with krs-one)

im also partial to the golden age/90s and i dig many of those artists you mentioned, but there's still some good stuff out today like antipop consortium, aesop rock...and you must check out the freehoudini album by themselves. its free for download somewhere on the web, its pretty insane and as far removed from the souljaboi/autotune bullsh*t as you can get

im digging the new jayz "death to autotune" hehe...nice and dirty and how often do you hear a hot jazz trumpet on the radio nowadays?

also obsessing over this track:
mos def is one suave motherf*cker
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline Black.gh0st.Knife

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 02:08:32 PM »
@chuck sabbath:
Yeah, i forgot to mention them. Cut me some slack. I kinda overlooked them. Personally, I listen mainly to east coast emcees coz for me, they're much grittier and harder than their western counterparts. But yeah, those albums definitely add to the list.  :-D

You're definitely right, though hiphop has been infected by crappy artists, there are still a lot good [gooey brown stuff] coming out. New school artists still preserve the culture of the music, in terms of beat production and lyricism, and is continuing to progress as time goes by. New breed of artists like Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, Non Phixion (now disbanded), Immortal Technique, Warcloud, Snowgoons, Eyedea, Rhyme Asylum, Necro, Q-Unique, Mr. Hyde, Mr. Lif, Swollen Members, Atmosphere, 7L & Esoteric, Lost Children of Babylon, Remedy, Timbo King, Royal Fam, Brother Ali, Rjd2, Mr. Dibbs, Sound Providers, Binary star, Jean Grae, Planet Asia, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, etc., still keep the culture sacred. Nowadays, it's the lyrics and skills that will define your wackness or dopeness, that's why hiphop is considered a true test of mind.

For those who haven't seen the hiphop documentary "Rhyme and Reason" watch it here:

Highly recommended and it'll definitely broaden your perspective about the music.

BTW: It's really rare nowadays to hear some jazzy horns or soulful breakdown samples, so that's something fresh from the radio. And yes, Mos Def is an ill mofo.  :mrgreen:
"i don't have butterflies in my stomach, it's infested with bats!" - Plazma

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
hey no problem just have a soft spot for the west coast 90s stuff cause thats how i got into hiphop in the first place back in college..amerikkkas most wanted by ice cube is the best of both worlds in a sense with a west coast mc (ice cube) and east coast production (hank shocklee/pe production team)

New breed of artists like Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, Non Phixion (now disbanded), Immortal Technique, Warcloud, Snowgoons, Eyedea, Rhyme Asylum, Necro, Q-Unique, Mr. Hyde, Mr. Lif, Swollen Members, Atmosphere, 7L & Esoteric, Lost Children of Babylon, Remedy, Timbo King, Royal Fam, Brother Ali, Rjd2, Mr. Dibbs, Sound Providers, Binary star, Jean Grae, Planet Asia, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox,

damn the only one i know there is aesop rock and immortal technique! have some catching up to do...
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis