hulika

Author Topic: DIY Cab Build # 5 (1x12 Mesa Recto style)  (Read 18905 times)

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: DIY Cab Build # 5 (1x12 Mesa Recto style)
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2016, 12:25:42 PM »
SIDE PROJECT...

I have a 10-watt Blackstar ID Core which I use in my shop and find to be decent sounding for the price.. However, I'm being limited by the small 2.5" speakers. Next to my trusty Roland JC-20 with 5.25" speakers, the Blackstar sounds too small.

Thanks to Mark (piekey) for the assist with the new speakers.. I opted to replace the stock 2.5" speakers with bigger 5.25". I didn't want to massacre the original MDF baffle in the process so I decided to just make a new baffle for the Blackstar.

Night and day difference with the sound dispersion. It sounds a lot bigger and fuller despite the low wattage. Not much cone cry and speaker breakup as well. :)

This now has a bass response similar to an 8-inch speaker (average size of speakers times the square root of the number of speakers: (5.25 × 1.4142 = 7.42)
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »
This now has a bass response similar to an 8-inch speaker (average size of speakers times the square root of the number of speakers: (5.25 × 1.4142 = 7.42)

Thanks for the info bro. I wasn't aware that there was such a computation, but yes, the bass response was bigger and fuller by a mile compared to the stock uber small speakers. :D

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »
Update..

Since I planned on wrapping the boxes with tolex later on, I needed to apply sanding sealer so the wood won't absorb my adhesive..... While I was at it, I thought to myself, it wouldn't hurt to add the extra effort of staining the wood before applying the sanding sealer. This way, the cab won't look as plain as it was when bare.

I rubbed the first coat of red mahogany (which was actually more brown than red) on the cabs.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
After half a day..... I applied the second coat of red mahogany stain.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
The following day, I applied a different stain, this time, an ebony stain. This would provide me with a brown-black mixed look. Dark on some spots but with a nice touch of brown..

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 09:24:55 PM »
Finally, I applied my first coat of sanding sealer... This sealed in the stain, ready to be clearcoated....or I'll just go ahead and cover it with tolex. However, I'm really liking how the cabs look now. Dark and has that antique furniture vibe. I'll probably clear coat it just to preserve this look..

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 10:22:58 AM »
Ako rin, Chino! Gusto ko magpagawa ng combo amp shell sayo for a 4x10! :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
Ako rin, Chino! Gusto ko magpagawa ng combo amp shell sayo for a 4x10! :)

Feeling ko malapit niyo na ako mapa-oo. Haha! Just sorting out the stuff and costing siguro, tapos pwede na natin pag usapan. :)
Curious ako bro, anong 4x10 combo yan? Fender Bassman? Peavey Classic 50?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »
Well, I'm building a D-style amp that i'd like to house in the said 4x10 open back. I like the projection kasi of Fender Super Reverb cabs kasi e.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »
Chino, how about modding a class5 to have a 12"? :)

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:49 AM »

mukhang may malalapitan na ako pag nagka budget na rin ako pang cabinet.  :wink:
Shot na!!!

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »

Greg, pasabay kung pupunta ka kina Chino! Wala akong tsikot e, lol!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »
Well, I'm building a D-style amp that i'd like to house in the said 4x10 open back. I like the projection kasi of Fender Super Reverb cabs kasi e.

Nice! That sounds like fun. Dapat yata jan pine cab/enclosure na open back. :D :D

Idol Greg, tingin ko possible yan. Pero sukatin muna natin just to be sure. In some cases, marami room sa baffle at sa mismong enclosure para yung butas na lang ng baffle ang lakihan. Or pwede rin gumawa ng bagong baffle to accomodate the 12" speaker. Pero yun nga, sukatin muna natin. Di kasi ako familiar sa positioning ng insides ng Class 5. :)

mukhang may malalapitan na ako pag nagka budget na rin ako pang cabinet.  :wink:

Ok siya if you have a spare speaker that needs a cab. :) or if you need a cab with a particular dimension na wala sa mga readily available cabs natin dito sa Pinas. :)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »
Update...

Countersunk a portion of the baffle to flush mount my t-nuts for mounting the speaker. :)

Test fitting.....

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2016, 06:35:10 PM »
Almost there..... not yet decided on how I'll mount my 1/4" jacks so I haven't routed holes on the back panel yet.

Next step will be finishing the speaker grill mount.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 10:33:22 PM »
Update.. Almost done.. nearing completion.. :)

I opted to go for single input/output jacks for the cab. I checked the incoming head and it has a provision for two 8ohms cabs simultaneously. Since both of my speakers are 8ohms, I can just run them together with the head. :)

For this build, I'm using a stereo locking jack.

I used crimps for the ease of speaker installation and replacement in case I would want to. I really don't want to solder the wires onto the speaker tabs themselves.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:57 PM »
Yeey! Got me a Mesa CL-80 (Celestion Classic Lead 80)..  :drool:

The other cab will house my Hellatone 60 (Celestion Vintage 30).  :-D

A couple of back shots..

I don't mind them being "naked" cabs. I think they look alright.. But sooner or later, I'll still be covering them for a total clean look.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
Fully working and useable as of now. :)

Still trying to come up with a good design for the front grill....

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2016, 05:57:28 AM »
Fully working and useable as of now. :)

Still trying to come up with a good design for the front grill....

Aylabet! Those would sound sweet in stereo! Mesa wicker grill cloth would be the best choice for them I think.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2016, 06:12:18 AM »
Totally newbie question. Pwede bang rekta dyan ang mga amp sim, be it analog or digital? Ala Tech21 Power Engine.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
Thanks bro. Hope to meet you soon as well. You still have your DSR? I'm itching for a vintage Fender again.. Probably a 50w Blackface Bassman..  :drool:

Hey bro.. I only have one speaker in my reserve so it will most definitely go to one of the cabs.. The other one is an extra build.. A friend of mine has first dibs with it, pero no pressure kung kunin niya or not after ko matapos pareho.. If di niya kunin and you want to check it out, I'd be more than willing. :)

Yep still rockin' the dual showman.  T-nuts and spade connectors are a good thing for your builds, man.  On my cabs I remember they were hard to find, but once you have a source, you wonder how earlier builds went by without them.  Another thing is the speaker jack plate, making it look good is worth it, especially if you mix and match frequently.  It also helps if you want more than one jack so you have versatility with daisy chaining or different impedance wiring options.

BTW, if you were going for varnish, perhaps next time try hardwoods?  Makes for more beautiful joinery also if you're going for that look.  I always thought plywood, MDF, etc lends itself well to tolex, but you can get mixed results with finish.  Suggestion also, since some woods take stain rather unevenly and it's hard to balance out the color.  Try filling in the pores with a clear first, and apply stain as a glaze.  Concept is you have a barrier first then stain+clear mix goes over it as one color layer.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »

Totally newbie question. Pwede bang rekta dyan ang mga amp sim, be it analog or digital? Ala Tech21 Power Engine.

Walang power amp sir. Mahina siya.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »

Negative sir.. Walang power amp eh.. Kung sa PA terms, passive lang ito.. :)

Yep still rockin' the dual showman.  T-nuts and spade connectors are a good thing for your builds, man.  On my cabs I remember they were hard to find, but once you have a source, you wonder how earlier builds went by without them.  Another thing is the speaker jack plate, making it look good is worth it, especially if you mix and match frequently.  It also helps if you want more than one jack so you have versatility with daisy chaining or different impedance wiring options.

BTW, if you were going for varnish, perhaps next time try hardwoods?  Makes for more beautiful joinery also if you're going for that look.  I always thought plywood, MDF, etc lends itself well to tolex, but you can get mixed results with finish.  Suggestion also, since some woods take stain rather unevenly and it's hard to balance out the color.  Try filling in the pores with a clear first, and apply stain as a glaze.  Concept is you have a barrier first then stain+clear mix goes over it as one color layer.

Yup. T-nuts and spade connectors are heaven sent! :D

I'm going to cover them with tolex soon bro. I just tinkered with the idea of staining them before applying sanding sealer. So they won't look too naked.

Next time, I'll probably use hardwoods. Solid pine comes to mind for a nice open back 1x12. :)

Interesting that you mentioned applying the sealer first before the actual stain.. in my experience, pag na-seal ko na yung kahoy, ayaw n kumapit ng stain.. hahaha!

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »
Nice build! Congrats!

You have my address na, right?  :lol:

Offline LedZep

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »
Nice build!  Thanks for sharing!

BTW, Where will you be sourcing your tolex bro? Is it available locally?