hulika

Author Topic: Laptop/Notebook Advise  (Read 9724 times)

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Laptop/Notebook Advise
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:35:30 PM »
Wassup ya'll!

im planning to buy a notebook...my budget is P60k

u guys got any advice???
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Laptop/Notebook Advise
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:33:36 PM »
your budget is more than enough for a gaming laptop already.

http://tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=591610 click mo yan and ull know what im talking about. :)

PEACE!!!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:49:39 AM »
im going to use it as a DAW

hehehe...for audio recording purposes...

tnx for the tip!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:54:43 AM »
ubra yan for DAW yang sinend ko sayong specs and link ng fs na laptop

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:17:19 AM »
wow!

gising kapa? tindi mo!

hahaha...i just learned na, OEM dnt make their own (based dun sa link mo)

kulit no, bumibili din pala sila...ahaha!

anywayz, im still reviewing it...

based on research, Pentium M is the best for notebooks...do u agree?

or should i go for the Duo Core 2?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:33:39 AM »
kung for DAW applications id go for core 2 duo pero still dont have budget for it heheh. kung may budget ka naman eh y not.

Yup even branded laptops dont really make their own stuffs. rebranding lang kumbaga.

hehe oo gising pa ako work mode eh... galit na nga misis ko bat di pa daw ako pumasok sa kwarto at matulog sabi ko inaayos ko pa report ko pero philmusic din at the same time hehehe

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 02:49:34 AM »
im reviewing the intel platforms...

ung nasa link, ay sonoma platform, 2nd generation centrino platform...

pentium m cia, with 533 FSB, pwede na  :lol:

sleep na rin ako...class ako tom eh.

nice video ng salo salo  :-D coolness!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 01:09:57 PM »
tnx bro :)

PEACE!

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 03:59:06 AM »
doesnt really matter what brand of laptop you have, just as long as you have the specs needed to run your software, ok na yun. for DAW, like gaming, the higher processor speed, the faster the hd, the larger the memory-- the better.  take into consideration the cdrw/dvdrw drive dahil you'd be making rough demos na pwede i burn sa cd. and also, a larger hdd if possible dahil malalaki ang mga raw sound files. are you going mobile? if yes, a laptop would be good. pag gagamitin mo for home studio, mas ok mag desktop ka na lang and buy other stuff you need for interfaces and controllers. just my 2c :-D

Offline soulshifter

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 01:17:50 AM »
Hi,... my friends and I own a recording studio and we can help you set up/find the right laptop for you as we also supply both desktops and laptops. First and foremost, we need to know which DAW software/programs you are planning to run (PROTOOLS, CAKEWALK, CUBASE, ACID etc...). It should be noted if you are to use the laptop for a professional recording studio (business) or just for personal use. You can reach us at lian.cayco@gmail.com or thru my cel 09209209196. We can answer all your queries regarding the laptop that you need. And I am sure that we can find a suitable unit for you.  :-D

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 08:08:46 PM »
Hi,... my friends and I own a recording studio and we can help you set up/find the right laptop for you as we also supply both desktops and laptops. First and foremost, we need to know which DAW software/programs you are planning to run (PROTOOLS, CAKEWALK, CUBASE, ACID etc...). It should be noted if you are to use the laptop for a professional recording studio (business) or just for personal use. You can reach us at lian.cayco@gmail.com or thru my cel 09209209196. We can answer all your queries regarding the laptop that you need. And I am sure that we can find a suitable unit for you.  :-D

may prof fee ba? hehehe

i have a desktop na,

P4 2.4
1GB DDR
two 80Gig HD
one 20Gig HD
Creative Soundcard
Asus Motherboard
Samsung CD-RW

pwede na yan???

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »

may prof fee ba? hehehe

i have a desktop na,

P4 2.4
1GB DDR
two 80Gig HD
one 20Gig HD
Creative Soundcard
Asus Motherboard
Samsung CD-RW

pwede na yan???

pede na yan... if you want to inquire more bout your DAW. feel free to post/ask your queries at Music Pro  and Audio Technology Thread :)

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 07:10:36 PM »
Guys!

ive already order my notebook

http://www.pccorner.com.ph/products.do?action=showproductdetail&categoryid=88&productid=3184

darating sa monday!

COMMENTS!?

Offline soulshifter

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 07:14:30 PM »
pwede na yan,..kaso i suggest na 2mb ung ram, and 120 ung extra mong hd,..... para walang problema lalo na if u upgrade and  Protools gagamitin mo pre. Pero if you're going to use cakewalk and other apps,.. ok na yang setup mo,.. may konting konting lag time lang talaga.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 09:33:13 PM »
pwede na yan,..kaso i suggest na 2mb ung ram, and 120 ung extra mong hd,..... para walang problema lalo na if u upgrade and  Protools gagamitin mo pre. Pero if you're going to use cakewalk and other apps,.. ok na yang setup mo,.. may konting konting lag time lang talaga.

im really excited!

monday, tagal mo naman!

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 10:21:20 PM »
Guys!

http://www.pccorner.com.ph/products.do?action=showproductdetail&categoryid=88&productid=3184

darating sa monday!

COMMENTS!?

ok na ok yan bro. what music are you going to with that? and what software are you going to be using? if youre gonna be running Sonar/Reason/Traktion/Ableton/FL, mag rarun ng smooth yan without hiccups. i would suggest tho that you get a usb interface para ok paren ang latency ng midi/instruments mo. :D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 11:19:24 PM »
I hope you don't have a pcmcia card ready for that laptop kasi it uses the newer expresscard slot. It has firewire and usb 2.0 ports, however, so if you're in the market for an audio interface, some of the firewire or usb offerings from M-Audio might fit the bill. Alternatively, there's also the Behringer BCA2000 which also functions as a moving fader controller.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 11:34:52 PM »
Guys!

darating sa monday!

COMMENTS!?

ok na ok yan bro. what music are you going to with that? and what software are you going to be using? if youre gonna be running Sonar/Reason/Traktion/Ableton/FL, mag rarun ng smooth yan without hiccups. i would suggest tho that you get a usb interface para ok paren ang latency ng midi/instruments mo. :D

ill use my laptop as an extension for my DAW

headphones or good speakers nalang!

yehey!

Adobe Audition kakamitin ko sir!

Kitc,

may USB interface ba ang M-Audio? alam ko mahal products nila eh...

ill check the Behringer...!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 12:41:11 AM »

M-Audio has the Fast Track which is their least expensive interface (P8.6k) next to their Jam Lab Guitar usb i/f which has more limited analog I/O. If your DAW has digital I/O, I suggest getting a usb interface that at least has s/pdif; more convenient if you intend to transfer audio between your laptop and DAW.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 12:44:07 AM »
Guys!

darating sa monday!

COMMENTS!?

ill use my laptop as an extension for my DAW

headphones or good speakers nalang!

yehey!

Adobe Audition kakamitin ko sir!

Kitc,

[/quote

there a few M-Audio usb interface try checking http://www.jbmusic.com.ph/search.php?sessid= . but if were you ill settle for firewire interface. My Alesis Multimix Firewire Mixer is really performing well.

PEACE!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 01:32:47 AM »

M-Audio has the Fast Track which is their least expensive interface (P8.6k) next to their Jam Lab Guitar usb i/f which has more limited analog I/O. If your DAW has digital I/O, I suggest getting a usb interface that at least has s/pdif; more convenient if you intend to transfer audio between your laptop and DAW.

Digital I/O - meron yata itong soundcard ko (creative audigy)
S/PDIF - meron din  :lol:

actually hnd ko cla alam gamitin, hehehe engots!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 01:52:35 AM »
guys...

i found a review on the cheapest M-Audio 2496

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/maudioaudiophile/

i thnk, ill stay with my creative for a while, its ASIO supported,

has Digital I/O and S/PDIF 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

its Full Duplex 24bit 96kHz,

24-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

but ill still research bout the M-Audio products...

yehey! sat na! then sun! then mon!

yipeey!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 01:07:38 AM »
dumating na ung unang laptop...

MSI S470 WHITE BOOK

im still waiting for the other one...

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 02:46:14 AM »
guys...

i found a review on the cheapest M-Audio 2496

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/maudioaudiophile/

i thnk, ill stay with my creative for a while, its ASIO supported,

has Digital I/O and S/PDIF 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

its Full Duplex 24bit 96kHz,

24-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

but ill still research bout the M-Audio products...

yehey! sat na! then sun! then mon!

yipeey!

for now ok na muna ang audigy (try using kx project drivers for that). but if ur gonna upgrade your soundcard soon the audiophile 2496 is a good choice, marami ng inputs, may built in mic pres, and offers lower latency compared to live/audigy.

goodluck on your new toy! :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 11:23:12 AM »
The audigy's biggest flaw is that it has a FIXED clock of 48kHz and it does sample rate conversion ON THE FLY in software if you use any other sample rate aside from 48 kHz. There have been reported sync issues when using other sample rates. Creative lost a class action suit because of their claims that the audigy can record at 96 kHz; unfortunately, the suit does not apply to cards bought outside of the US.

The workaround is to record ONLY at 48 khz and do SRC using audio editing software if you want to downsample to 44.1 and other rates. The Creative asio drivers are also not the best; like spazzkid says, kx drivers are better, but it still won't change the fact about the fixed clock.

I am not against Creative as I have used blasters before and my present Emu is under the Creative umbrella, but moving from a gaming card to an audio card designed for the purpose, I can personally say the difference is like night and day.