hulika

Author Topic: Laptop/Notebook Advise  (Read 9725 times)

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Laptop/Notebook Advise
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »
The audigy's biggest flaw is that it has a FIXED clock of 48kHz and it does sample rate conversion ON THE FLY in software if you use any other sample rate aside from 48 kHz. There have been reported sync issues when using other sample rates. Creative lost a class action suit because of their claims that the audigy can record at 96 kHz; unfortunately, the suit does not apply to cards bought outside of the US.

The workaround is to record ONLY at 48 khz and do SRC using audio editing software if you want to downsample to 44.1 and other rates. The Creative asio drivers are also not the best; like spazzkid says, kx drivers are better, but it still won't change the fact about the fixed clock.

I am not against Creative as I have used blasters before and my present Emu is under the Creative umbrella, but moving from a gaming card to an audio card designed for the purpose, I can personally say the difference is like night and day.

wow,

based on your words...

i wonder, how long have u been in this recording business

years, i suppose?
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 01:41:14 PM »
About a decade now... started delving into pc recording as a hobby since '95 using an AWE32, before that, I used to play keys and sometimes front for the office band. After losing my day job in '97, things just sort of fell naturally into place; but it was no picnic. Good thing I invested in some good equipment early on and those are still working to this very day.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline djspit

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 03:46:06 AM »
60k? id go with a white macbook=)
http://www.facebook.com/djmyke/pages#!/pages/DJMYKE/255868169639 IMAC 24" core2duo Logic Pro 9, Ableton Live 8, Reason 6.0, Apogee Duet2, axiom49,Keystation 88es, Yamaha dx100, Rode NT1a, Yamaha HS80m,Taylor 614, Taylor GS Mini, Fender Telecaster USA. ban