hulika

Author Topic: 4GB RAM not fully read by Windows XP and Vista  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
4GB RAM not fully read by Windows XP and Vista
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
I recently upgraded to 4GB of RAM and I noticed that Windows Vista only reads 2.8GB while the BIOS reads the whole 4GB. After some testing, I then discovered that the higher 1GB or so is reserved for address mapping that's why a chunk of the whole memory isn't read by the OS. This is applicable to 32-bit operating systems; even if the theoretical maximum address lines tally to 4GB (2^32 = 4,294,967,296), there are still processes that diminish the total readable RAM. I was very irritated at first but then I realized that due to computer architecture limitations, it's something that we have to accept for now.

Read this article to know more:

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

One way to partially rectify this problemis using PAE and booting up using /3GB. But there are still hardware requirements before PAE could actually be used.

Comments or alternative solutions, anyone?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: 4GB RAM not fully read by Windows XP and Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »
ganun ba yan? e pano pa kung 64 bit?
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
check ur motherboard specs, if it can load a maximum of 4gig of RAM.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »
some asus boards need a bios update.  it's an issue with some.

i recently did the /3g switch, but it only changes the way "virtual memory" is allocated - regardless of physical ram.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:44:50 PM »
check ur motherboard specs, if it can load a maximum of 4gig of RAM.

My motherboard (an EVGA nForce 680i SLI) can run up to 8GB of DDR-2 RAM. I did mention that my motherboard's BIOS can recognize the full 4GB but it's the OS part that doesn't see the 4GB completely. From what I've read, the 64-bit XP/Vista can go well above 4GB RAM.

Yup, only the memory allocation is changed. The normal allocation would be the lower 2GB for applications and the upper 2GB for hardware mapping and for the OS itself.

I hope this technological ceiling can be rectified soon..
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:46:20 AM »
My motherboard (an EVGA nForce 680i SLI) can run up to 8GB of DDR-2 RAM. I did mention that my motherboard's BIOS can recognize the full 4GB but it's the OS part that doesn't see the 4GB completely. From what I've read, the 64-bit XP/Vista can go well above 4GB RAM.

Yup, only the memory allocation is changed. The normal allocation would be the lower 2GB for applications and the upper 2GB for hardware mapping and for the OS itself.

I hope this technological ceiling can be rectified soon..

64 bit lang po talaga ang solution, architecture na po kasi ng OS ang problema jan. it's like nung 16 bit pa lang po ang architecture ng systems, shifting to 32 bit was the only way to expand the capabilities of operating systems (nung mga panahong iyon yung 768MB  pinakamalaking capacity na ng hard drive ngayon memory na lang ng 8800, at nung mga panahong iyon tuwang tuwa pa ang dad ko nung na-upgrade to 2MB yung memory ng terminal nya sa saudi  :-D..). BTW nice mobo, pareho tayo  :-)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:58:52 AM »
64 bit lang po talaga ang solution, architecture na po kasi ng OS ang problema jan. it's like nung 16 bit pa lang po ang architecture ng systems, shifting to 32 bit was the only way to expand the capabilities of operating systems (nung mga panahong iyon yung 768MB  pinakamalaking capacity na ng hard drive ngayon memory na lang ng 8800, at nung mga panahong iyon tuwang tuwa pa ang dad ko nung na-upgrade to 2MB yung memory ng terminal nya sa saudi  :-D..). BTW nice mobo, pareho tayo  :-)

True, technological barriers talaga. Funny you mentioned the meager specs of ancient PCs, naalala ko tuloy na proud na proud na ako dati sa 80486 DX2-100MHz (overclocked) with 8MB SIMM RAM and a 1MB Cirrus Logic VESA video card that can run Doom and Dune 2 without a lot of slowdowns :lol:

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »
True, technological barriers talaga. Funny you mentioned the meager specs of ancient PCs, naalala ko tuloy na proud na proud na ako dati sa 80486 DX2-100MHz (overclocked) with 8MB SIMM RAM and a 1MB Cirrus Logic VESA video card that can run Doom and Dune 2 without a lot of slowdowns :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 08:02:42 AM »
diba dapat supported na ng vista ultimate yan? may option ba para mag 32 at 64 bit sa installation? maguupgrade pa naman ako from 2gb to 3 or 4.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:49:39 AM by jun_gats »

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 12:47:31 PM »
diba dapat supported na ng vista ultimate yan? may option ba para mag 32 at 64 bit sa installation? maguupgrade pa naman ako from 2gb to 3 or 4.

Wala akong nakitang option nung nag-install ako ng Vista Ultimate eh.. There's a separate 64-bit Windows Vista OS being sold. Pera-pera ang usapan syempre kaya ihihiwalay ni Bill Gates yun :)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
mag 64 bit winxp ka na lang...
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »
Wala akong nakitang option nung nag-install ako ng Vista Ultimate eh.. There's a separate 64-bit Windows Vista OS being sold. Pera-pera ang usapan syempre kaya ihihiwalay ni Bill Gates yun :)

+1, gahaman yang chonggo na yan e  :-D

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 07:55:14 AM »

Oo nga e, meron ngang hiwalay na 64 bit para sa Vista at XP din pla. Try ko ngang mghanap.

+1, gahaman yang chonggo na yan e  :-D

Oo, kaya sobrang yaman na nya.

Wala naman kayang problema yung yung mga installer para sa 64 bit?