hulika

Author Topic: John McLaughlin's 'My Favorite Things'  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
John McLaughlin's 'My Favorite Things'
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:15:30 PM »
Wonders never cease!

Never thought we'd get to see one of these rare clips of JML live playing stuff from his 'After The Rain' CD - a transition period which saw him shifting to a less-aggressive approach to soloing. He seems to be using more effective use of space between his notes.

And the tone! Well, some critics assailed him for 'that' chorused sound. Well, it ain't Metheny. Neither is it Sco or Stern.

Maybe he was just finding another tonal perspective. Sounds good though. Refreshing, for a change..

mode=related&search=
"No static at all ..."

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:57:05 AM »
i like his right hand, pano kaya maperfect ala mclaughlin picking?hmmm :D  :?  :P

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:28:02 PM »
nice stuff! i like his chorus sound ;) it's good to hear him play standards.

oh, that organist is smokin'! galing ng organism ;)
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 12:54:02 AM »
I don't know enought about McLaughlin's career to know where this fits in his timeline, but that is a killer band he's got on the clip - the John McLaughlin Trio - Joey deFrancesco on Hammond organ and Dennis Chambers on drums!! I wish the camera could have shown more of these two guys, especially Chambers going silently nuts during McLaughlin's solo... I also concentrated more on Defrancesco's organ solo which I think really made the performance more than the guitar solo. Imagine playing those killer organ lines while pumping out the bass on pedals! Yup, no bassist in sight once again, this was really a traditional organ trio like they used to have in the old days.

Jazhombie - magandang jam piece din ito - "My favorite things"

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 01:36:29 AM »
Jazhombie - magandang jam piece din ito - "My favorite things"

sir jim, we can add dis to our jam on october, sakaling mag-click yung pag org ni sir BAMF! kip in ouch, mganga nga to 3/4 swing feel!aus! :D