hulika

Author Topic: Shoegazer music  (Read 27990 times)

Offline karlo

Re: Shoegazer music
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 12:59:13 PM »
I saw Jesu co-headline with Sunn 0))) last November.  I had to bring earplugs.

This may tie-in with the post-rock thread, the opener of the show for that evening was Eluvium.

Wuah!  :-D You've seen some of my favorite acts na, and always right by the stage too...

I'd heard that earplugs are available at the door for Sunn 0))) shows. How loud are they really, (for someone whose only been to gigs in Manila so far)?

How was the concert? Which of the three put on the best show?

And have you seen MBV since they started gigging again?  :-D
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline lennon_reincarnate

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
BUZZNITE

THU DEC.2
CLUB DREDD EASTWOOD
10PM

LAZY LORELIE
SOFT PILLOW KISSES
THE CAMERAWALLS
YOUR IMAGINARY FRIENDS
SONNET58
CANDY AUDIOLINE

SUPPORT THE INDIE SCENE!

Offline woodstockintheattic

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »
I saw Jesu co-headline with Sunn 0))) last November.  I had to bring earplugs.

This may tie-in with the post-rock thread, the opener of the show for that evening was Eluvium.

I was closer in location to bassist Diarmuid Dalton in this photo of the band live

Is that Ted Parsons on drums?
Go beyond what has already been written.

www.myspace.com/barbaromusika

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 01:53:17 AM »
san city and state ka sir?

Seattle

Wuah!  grin You've seen some of my favorite acts na, and always right by the stage too...

I'd heard that earplugs are available at the door for Sunn 0))) shows. How loud are they really, (for someone whose only been to gigs in Manila so far)?

How was the concert? Which of the three put on the best show?

And have you seen MBV since they started gigging again?  grin

Posible nga na may earplugs sa venue tuwing may tugtugan ang Sunn 0))) pero ako n'un, may sariling dala sa bulsa k'se sadya ko talagang sa harap ang pwesto.  Amps are definitely cranked to the max.  Most venues in the US are equipped for soundproofing so that they can't disturb the nearby housing areas.  Kaya lang meron at meron pa ring tumatawag sa pulis tuwing may tugtugan sa mga venue na malapit sa mga condo/bahay.  Out of the three, talagang ang nasakyan ko, yung set ng Jesu.  I liked them perhaps because I was most familiar with their music out of the three acts.  It was only my first time then to see Eluvium and Sunn 0))) who were also quite impressive but I have to admit that I've got to dig into their recorded catalog a bit more.

Pangarap ko nga ring makita ang MBV, pero wala silang tugtugan na malapit sa atin--mahal na nga air fare ngayon kaya pass muna ako sa tour nila.  I heard they played a blistering set at the annual All Tomorrow's Parties concert in New York the other week.  Check out the lineup that performed:

My Bloody Valentine
Dinosaur Jr
Mogwai
Mercury Rev
Yo La Tengo
Lilys

Check Youtube with the key search "All Tomorrow's Parties" and "My Bloody Valentine" for some uploads from the show.  Mababa nga lang ang mix ng vocals ni Kevin tsaka ni Bilinda (short hair na siya!) tapos full-blast sila sa gitara tsaka samplers...basta, search niyo na lang!  I think I also posted a link earlier in the thread of them performing in Japan at the Fuji Festival too.  Mas klaro yung vocals sa clip na yun.

Is that Ted Parsons on drums?

Yup, that's Parsons on drums.  This was the first time that Justin was able to bring the original Jesu lineup to the US.  I think for that tour last November, they only played 5 cities on the west coast, so it was pretty rare to even see all three acts (Eluvium, Jesu, Sunn 0))) )together.

Offline woodstockintheattic

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »
Great lineup indeed. You are a lucky guy! Parsons is a legend.  I was also amazed to find out that Danny Walker of Intronaut would drum for Jesu occassionaly. He's one of my drumming influences as well.
Go beyond what has already been written.

www.myspace.com/barbaromusika

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2008, 01:15:49 PM »
One of my favorite shoegaze bands is Portland, Oregon's own The High Violets.  Their sound isn't that far different from Sugar Hiccup back in the 90's.

Here's the music video to the band's song Chinese Letter as  remixed by Ulrich Schnauss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKf_7Xvg28

Offline karlo

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
[strawberry]-[strawberry]-buttons-part-1-of-2/sweet-love-for-planet-earth[/url]

Highly recc'd. Not shoegaze per se, but it's got that rising, epic, super-romantic feel that we all love, and the noise is there in spades.

Love the F*ck Buttons. Their brand of  noise is the polar opposite of Merzbow's.
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline Paosin The Well

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
uy shoegaze thread! big fan! hehe.. may banda din ako ngyn na shoegaze and post rock ang main influences eh.. hehe..
"so crucify the ego before it's far too late... before we pine away." - MJK

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 06:22:08 AM »
Check out Ben Curtis (former Secret Machines guitarist) and his new band School Of Seven Bells:

http://www.myspace.com/schoolofsevenbells

Offline karlo

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »
yeah heard about this, sounds pretty good.

speaking of the secret machines, hows the new one working out for ya. Havnt really dug into yet, didnt really grab me off the bat

Love Never Dies

Offline obedtron

• Netizen Level
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
check out The Slavedrum
Reference:
Fernando Electric Guitar bought from phat_boi http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,189622.0.html

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:31 AM »
Holy &#!@!!!

I just found out that My Bloody Valentine will be performing in Seattle.  Pre-sale tickets will be available next week.  I will kill to go to this event.

http://www.myspace.com/mybloodyvalentine

Offline karlo

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »
Jealous.. If anyone's in Europe, MBV will play two sets at the sound festival in barcelona in may.

Love Never Dies

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:20 AM »
Went to last night's final show of My Bloody Valentine's US tour.  It was one of the most amazing experiences of my concert-going life.  I doubt I'll ever hear any other band try to fill a cavernous WaMu Theater with decibels of pink noise.  When the band got to You Made Me Realise, the last song of the night (no encores), they blasted close to 20 minutes of what was something similar to a Boeing jet engine's noise.  It felt like the world was going to end.  I closed my eyes and let the noise waves wash over me.  It's such an unforgettable experience.

Here's the set list:

01 I Only Said
02 When You Sleep
03 You Never Should
04 (When You Wake) You’re Still in a Dream
05 Cigarette in Your Bed
06 Come in Alone
07 Only Shallow
08 Thorn
09 Nothing Much to Lose
10 To Here Knows When
11 Slow
12 Soon
13 Feed Me With Your Kiss
14 You Made Me Realise

Someone else managed to capture part of the sonic bliss last night and upload it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tTONFbFWXk

I'll post pictures later.  It's awesome to share this experience with old-guard alternative music fans, metalheads, ravers, and everyone else in between who were part of the audience.

Also, I now have a bigger crush on Bilinda Butcher.  Hottie.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:45:55 AM by Deadwing »

Offline rjthemute

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »
holy hell, i'm jealous as f***.

When the band got to You Made Me Realise, the last song of the night (no encores), they blasted close to 20 minutes of what was something similar to a Boeing jet engine's noise.  It felt like the world was going to end.  I closed my eyes and let the noise waves wash over me.  It's such an unforgettable experience.

This is just awesome, times awesome  :-o

Also, could be just me, but Bilinda looks like she hasn't aged at all, I think she even looks younger now for some reason

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »
Here are some photos taken from my vantage point plus one from the rear just to show the huge screen behind them.  Kevin and Bilinda seemed to have a different guitar for every song they performed.  I'm sure Kevin, being the obsessive-compulsive that he is, made sure the sounds coming from his guitar were very different from what Bilinda was spouting from her own set of amps.  Combined, they would both mesh to form a thick sheet of guitar textures.

More thoughts about this show could be found on my blog:
http://moopare.blogdrive.com

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:24:49 PM by Deadwing »

Offline negativeview

• Netizen Level
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »
omg..... first m83 now mbv... gawd i'm so damn jealous man  :-(...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:49:17 AM by negativeview »

Offline rubix cube

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
mbv
asasaasasasasasasasasa

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:55 AM »
you cal aslo check minus the bear and russian circles...ayus din...

Yeah, you can check them out all right, but they're definitely not shoegaze.  I've seen MTB and they play math-rock.  Russian Circles on the other hand is post-rock. 

Just trying to get the facts straight.  :-D

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
Just rediscovered Medicine.  They were representing the US at the time that the movement had bands like My Bloody Valentine, Curve, Ride, etc were representing the British Isles.  They did so with grace fitting into the genre.  Their debut record Shot Forth Self Living ranks as one of my personal favorite shoegaze records.

This particular track is from their second album Buried Life.  Here's The Pink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RUCbvONYCI

Offline Speed_Kills

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:03 AM »
Shoegazing?
ambient, electronica.. my bloody valentine da best, nasa avatar ko   :-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:03:52 AM by Speed_Kills »

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
A Place To Bury Strangers
http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers

These New Yorkers are loud.  They mix The Jesus and Mary Chains-influenced psychedelic surf with 80's new wave melodies.  If this fact doesn't arouse your curiosity, their vocalist/guitarist Oliver Ackermann also designs and manufactures his own effects pedals.  His client list includes U2, NIN, and Wilco.

http://www.deathbyaudio.net/

Can't wait to see them perform along side The Big Pink (my other favorite band right now) this coming March.

Offline sunkensinger

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »

legend has it kya shoegaze kasi may chain of effects cla sa paa..tpos nkaka bangag ung music nla...ung taong tumutugtog, he's like staring at hi's shoes like he's out of he's mind.......now we have " shoegaze".....taps pinanganak ang tinatawag na "postrock" after ilang years...nung hindi na tlaga nag ro-rock out ang rock with guitars, hence "postrock" ang tawag.

pls enlighten me whats this genre whats its root and history. is there any local artist of this genre. pls give examples of artist :-D :mrgreen: thanks

Offline echo_ikaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
A Place To Bury Strangers
http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers

These New Yorkers are loud.  They mix The Jesus and Mary Chains-influenced psychedelic surf with 80's new wave melodies.  If this fact doesn't arouse your curiosity, their vocalist/guitarist Oliver Ackermann also designs and manufactures his own effects pedals.  His client list includes U2, NIN, and Wilco.

APTBS...everytime i'm listening to this band.. i'll go "                      ".

Offline dj_flip03

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
Damn! I miss SHOEGAZE!!!  I got a whole discography of The Jesus and Mary Chain. Who wants a copy?  :evil:
Need a job?

My company is in need of Customer Service Associates (Eastwood City).   Offering competitive salary packages.  TXT or Call 0927-4918033