hulika

Author Topic: MARSHALL AMPLIFICATION THREAD  (Read 82597 times)

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MARSHALL AMPLIFICATION THREAD
« Reply #425 on: November 28, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »

Go JCM 800. That amp can do everything, with the correct pedals. the old ones are better basta all stock and di laspag. If you cant find one, get a friedman. they're better at nailing that marshall tone even better than marshall nowadays.

DSLs suck.

So are MGs.

but if you happen to make the mistake of buying either of those. crank the master then use the preamp gain as the master volume. marshalls are known for their power amp distortion/overdrive. atleast youll feel the push of air coming from a real marshall.
Which DSLs?
What you own, owns you.

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »
Which DSLs?

The new ones and the low wattage ones.. too thin..

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:30 AM »
The new ones and the low wattage ones.. too thin..

at what volume level are you playing them? i have a dsl40c and it sounds fine to me.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
at what volume level are you playing them? i have a dsl40c and it sounds fine to me.

dsl40c's are fine cause theyre el34s they thicken up, when turned up.

but the 15h? and 5 watters nope..

go 800. or vintage modern pa din. Id even go for for a class 5 and turn them up to get that marshall sound.

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »
Can't blame you. I don't expect lower watters to keep up with the band, more so with a loud drummer.  Anyway, other guitarist in the band I'm in currently plays DSL100H (when he doesn't want to setup his rack), sounds big and I can hear him over my JCM2000 DSL. EQing is the key but cabs and speakers have a huge influence how you will sound in live setting.

I had a VM2266, sounds perfect for classic rock/hard rock applications. Just didn't have enough gain even when boosted (IMO). JCM800 is probably my next amp. If wasn't for $1,200.00 used price tag, I will snatch one up.
What you own, owns you.

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »
Can't blame you. I don't expect lower watters to keep up with the band, more so with a loud drummer.  Anyway, other guitarist in the band I'm in currently plays DSL100H (when he doesn't want to setup his rack), sounds big and I can hear him over my JCM2000 DSL. EQing is the key but cabs and speakers have a huge influence how you will sound in live setting.

I had a VM2266, sounds perfect for classic rock/hard rock applications. Just didn't have enough gain even when boosted (IMO). JCM800 is probably my next amp. If wasn't for $1,200.00 used price tag, I will snatch one up.

saw a JMP 50 watter on fb classifieds. looks like its in great condition. check it out bro. jmps are essentially 800's excep the name.

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
dsl40c's are fine cause theyre el34s they thicken up, when turned up.

but the 15h? and 5 watters nope..

go 800. or vintage modern pa din. Id even go for for a class 5 and turn them up to get that marshall sound.

ah ok. i am curious,  do you happen to own or used extensively any of the new dsl models or just base your review from watching youtube and reading online forums?

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
Marshall dsl15c user here! And i'm lovin the little critter. Crunches and bites like a boosted marshall! The gain knob has a weird taper though. I only have it at 10 o' clock and its very saturated. The digital reverb is just the right intensity IMHO. No complaints cause the tone just cuts through a dense mix of instruments playing at the same time. Definitely got that modern marshall tone.

If anyone bitches that marshalls suck, just turn it up so you cant hear the whinin'! Marshalls were designed and made as loud amps. Actually wanted to get that dsl50 head in the classifieds, but i knew i wouldn't be able to get those tubes cookin at the volumes i play. A 50 watt marshall is loud even with a full band. Mabubuwisit ka lang sa kakasenyas ng "sound engineer" to turn it down sa gig.. Unless i start playin those big venues that actually need the the 100 watt full stacks, im perfectly happy with my cute 15 watt small combo.
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #433 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
ah ok. i am curious,  do you happen to own or used extensively any of the new dsl models or just base your review from watching youtube and reading online forums?

Owned and sold. Like I've said dsl40s up are good.

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #434 on: December 13, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »
Owned and sold. Like I've said dsl40s up are good.

But if you just shoegaze, just buy pedals and turn any amp up.

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #435 on: December 13, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Marshall dsl15c user here! And i'm lovin the little critter. Crunches and bites like a boosted marshall! The gain knob has a weird taper though. I only have it at 10 o' clock and its very saturated. The digital reverb is just the right intensity IMHO. No complaints cause the tone just cuts through a dense mix of instruments playing at the same time. Definitely got that modern marshall tone.

If anyone bitches that marshalls suck, just turn it up so you cant hear the whinin'! Marshalls were designed and made as loud amps. Actually wanted to get that dsl50 head in the classifieds, but i knew i wouldn't be able to get those tubes cookin at the volumes i play. A 50 watt marshall is loud even with a full band. Mabubuwisit ka lang sa kakasenyas ng "sound engineer" to turn it down sa gig.. Unless i start playin those big venues that actually need the the 100 watt full stacks, im perfectly happy with my cute 15 watt small combo.

cool review dude!

post some pics na.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #436 on: December 13, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »
But if you just shoegaze, just buy pedals and turn any amp up.

yeah, sadly i just gaze at my shoes all day long, 24-7.  :lol:

and yeah, i do own a lot of pedals.

btw sir, what type of music do you play? if you don't mind me asking?

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #437 on: December 14, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
cool review dude!

post some pics na.

here you go bro!

all the EQ's are set at noon. reverb max. gain 10 o'clock. volume to taste. tone shift off since scooped mids suck for the music i play, IMHO lang naman. resonance on, then it feels like you have a bigger speaker than the stock 12".

i love the toanz i get with my fender fat strat with the dimarzio area 67's neck, 61's mid, and x2n at the bridge!

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
I think their lifestyle stuff are kinda overpriced..even their mini fridge.. :lol: especially those bluetooth speakers.. :-o
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #439 on: December 14, 2016, 09:30:37 PM »
all the EQ's are set at noon. reverb max. gain 10 o'clock. volume to taste. tone shift off since scooped mids suck for the music i play, IMHO lang naman. resonance on, then it feels like you have a bigger speaker than the stock 12".

Scooped mids sounds great when playing alone but when playing with a band, it gets buried.  Yan din halos settings ko in any marshall, I leave the bass boost on all the time pero depende parin sa speakers if I want to play with tone shift on or off.
What you own, owns you.

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #440 on: December 21, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »
here you go bro!

i love the toanz i get with my fender fat strat with the dimarzio area 67's neck, 61's mid, and x2n at the bridge!

panalo yan!

its a different breed from the array of high gain amps you have.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #441 on: December 21, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
Anyone got the Code 50 already? I auditioned it at JB music a few days ago and I must say it's ticklng my fancy in a bad way. Don't get me wrong, it certainly does not have the feel of playing a tube amp, but for the money I think it's a nice little toy to have around the house.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #442 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »
JCM 800 / JCM 900 all the way...  :)
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #443 on: January 04, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »
Jcm900 too thin, solid state rectifier over the tube preamp. Sounds ffuzzy. Dsl 100 england made is ok. Dsl 40 is crap. Jcm 800 is king
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #444 on: January 04, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »

Go JCM 800. That amp can do everything, with the correct pedals. the old ones are better basta all stock and di laspag. If you cant find one, get a friedman. they're better at nailing that marshall tone even better than marshall nowadays.

DSLs suck.

So are MGs.

but if you happen to make the mistake of buying either of those. crank the master then use the preamp gain as the master volume. marshalls are known for their power amp distortion/overdrive. atleast youll feel the push of air coming from a real marshall.
Do u know what your talking about? Have u even tried playing thru a dsl100 cranked?
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #445 on: January 05, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »
Damn! I missed my DSL 40C that i sold recently. I easily get bored with my Fender Deluxe Reverb, I missed the gainy classic sound of a Marshall amp. Plan ko pa naman kumuha ng 5 watter for my bedroom and living room practice, then mukhang puro negative ang review dito sa forum  :cry:
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #446 on: January 21, 2017, 12:17:09 AM »
This one sounds pretty nice. JCM2000 DSL50 + 2x12 (Vintage30 + GK12-100)

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #447 on: January 21, 2017, 03:15:46 AM »
This one sounds pretty nice. JCM2000 DSL50 + 2x12 (Vintage30 + GK12-100)

whoa! that is one sweet rig! bad@ss!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #448 on: January 21, 2017, 03:20:21 AM »
panalo yan!

its a different breed from the array of high gain amps you have.

thanks bro! its a marshall i can crank at bedroom volume level-ish!

Eto pa isa! Can't have too many amps. Doesn't have reverb which kinda bugged me at first, but i find that i actually prefer the tone without it. Gets a bit ice picky with bright geetars.. Now i need a 1936 cab...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:27:16 AM by x_taxi »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #449 on: January 22, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »
whoa! that is one sweet rig! bad@ss!

Thanks bro! Easy to nail Bonamassa, Slash, and Megadeth tones. Hehe.  :wave:

thanks bro! its a marshall i can crank at bedroom volume level-ish!
Eto pa isa! Can't have too many amps. Doesn't have reverb but i actually prefer the tone without it. Gets a bit ice picky with bright geetars.. Now i need a 1936 cab...

Yun na!! Anong cab/speaker nga ang gamit mo sa kanya ngayon?