hulika

Author Topic: Whats better???.....help me  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Mahineman

Whats better???.....help me
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:34:39 PM »
I have a mesa v-twin.  But Im buying a real tube amp which I will bring to all my gigs.  Which is better, relying on my preamp or bringing a real amp to gigs.  Im planning to but a 20-30 watter. tnks guys
DESTROY!!! DIY Guitar/Bass/Amps/effects Repair and maintenance. 09178742102 www.facebook.com/BLASTERSTUDIO
Endorsements: Xotic effects, Draven Shoes, Superlux Headphones http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413
www.blasterteam.com

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Whats better???.....help me
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
Quote from: Mahineman
I have a mesa v-twin.  But Im buying a real tube amp which I will bring to all my gigs.  Which is better, relying on my preamp or bringing a real amp to gigs.  Im planning to but a 20-30 watter. tnks guys

well it depends ... if you like the OD/distortion you are getting from your tube amp, maybe..just maybe you dont need your v-twin anymore.

if I were you,wait for your tube amp muna and hear out the differences. I am sure the type of distortion you will get from your amp and the v-twin will be somehow different.

you can also use the v-twin for different applications, like driving/pushing  the tubes of the amp further OR also maybe a volume boost.

sa case ko, I too am using the OD/Drive channels of my amp, but I also have an SD1, DS1 and a Tonebone in my chain, which serves different purposes and gives out different sounds.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Whats better???.....help me
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »
Quote from: Mahineman

If you want to rely the OD from the amp, I would suggest looking for one that will allow you to switch channels with a footswitch. That way you can use your stomp boxes for other effects. Also, if you have a distortiion pedal which gives a particular tone, you can use that with the clean channel. Bring your gig guitar when shopping around for the amp, don't use the guitars from the music store.

Also, think about whether the gig setup with run a mike or use a direct box. If it is the latter, then the amp would be useless. A 20 - 30 watter would be light, so I am sure that hauling it around would be fine.

Good luck!
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera