hulika

Author Topic: Snark Super TIGHT SN-8 Durability Issues  (Read 10209 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
Snark Super TIGHT SN-8 Durability Issues
« on: January 17, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »
First off, I had a Snark SN-2 before, the red one. Back when that tuner was still new in the market and a forumer brought those in. Had no problems with it whatsoever. Brought it to practice sessions, gigged with it, lent it to my bandmates and to other bands during gigs. Really a solid performer.

Unfortunately, that unit was bought from me by a guy that came all the way from Alabang to my area. Our deal was supposedly a guitar only, but when he saw my Snark SN-2, he insisted on buying it too. I was really hesitant and did not want to sell that tuner since it was already tried and tested. Again, solid performer. Being a sensible and considerate guy, I gave in. He took the trouble of going to my place anyway.

So I had to buy a new clip-tuner. Checkout out the Korg Pitchclip, but ended up buying the newer Snark Super Tight SN-8. I bought the unit at Lyric Trinoma. When I got home, I tried the tuner but the display was really dark. It's like the battery was close to dead. Went back to the store and they replaced my battery with a new one. Didn't had the chance to test it thoroughly since it was already closing time. Tried it again as soon as I got home. Same problem. Dark display even with a new battery. So I went back to Lyric and the guy told me that he'll just replace the unit. Okay, now the new unit I got was working. Took good care of it, never gigged with it, kept it mostly inside the box, and even rarely used it to keep the unit "fresh" and as "brand new looking" as I can. Usage was probably around 5 minutes in total. (Yes, TOTAL.) But the issues doesn't stop there.

Earlier today, the "claw" of the tuner's head that holds the ball for rotation broke. See the photo below. What's the point of advertising a tuner that can rotate its display for 360 degrees that can't even function the way it was advertised? Total BS. Anyway, I didn't bother to check if I can do something about it since it's too much trouble for a single unit of clip-on tuner. So I took a photo to share with you guys. Another thing I noticed about this new model/unit was it had some salt-looking material between the claw and the ball. You can clearly see it on the photo. My previous red Snark didn't have this salt thingy before. This could have contributed to the breakage of the unit. Snark's quality is obviously not improving.

I'm not satisfied with the current "batch" of clip-on Snark tuners. Now I have a clip-on tuner that is practically useless. I hope Lyric can do something about these. Both the durability issues and my broken tuner. Thumbs down for Snark.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:40:54 PM by gunslinger13 »
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Snark Super TIGHT SN-8 Durability Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
my SN-2 actually broke like this few months ago and it's not totally useless. it still detects the pitch when you place it on top of any vibrating instrument  :) . still trying to find a way how i can make a DIY mount for this.
doh!!!

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
More than a year na yung sn-1 ko replaced the batt a few months ago.
Almost dead accurate with the snark pedal.

Sn-8 nabili ko sa bassist namin, una kong tip kumuha ng tin can na lalagyan,
Gamit ko yung sa mooncake.

Pero kung yung 'claw' sira agad, nakow baka natsambahan ka lang?
Wala pa naman na encounter kakilala ko

Si jmorrero yan di gamit ngayon

Offline jajacabel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
nagkaganyan din ung head ng snark tuner ko na color red  :cry: inilalapat ko na lang sya sa body or head ng guitar para ma-tune  :-(

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Im thinking break off the remaing ball socket clamps..sa head unit and sa clip...sand it flush..tapos epoxy mo nalang or mighty bond yung head unit sa clip...di lang nga 360 deg pero I guess it will work fine .pero Im sure papalitan naman yan ng Lyric..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
More than a year na yung sn-1 ko replaced the batt a few months ago.
Almost dead accurate with the snark pedal.

Sn-8 nabili ko sa bassist namin, una kong tip kumuha ng tin can na lalagyan,
Gamit ko yung sa mooncake.

Pero kung yung 'claw' sira agad, nakow baka natsambahan ka lang?
Wala pa naman na encounter kakilala ko

Si jmorrero yan di gamit ngayon

Baka nga. Kasi maingat naman ako sa gamit, especially tuners. When at home, I engage my pedal tuners with my fingers. I don't step on 'em. Sana may magawa pa din ang Lyric about this. Maiintindihan ko pa siguro kung used to kaso brand new ko binili eh. So it has to function properly and hindi dapat sira na ganun.

Im thinking break off the remaing ball socket clamps..sa head unit and sa clip...sand it flush..tapos epoxy mo nalang or mighty bond yung head unit sa clip...di lang nga 360 deg pero I guess it will work fine .pero Im sure papalitan naman yan ng Lyric..

Sana nga. They haven't let me down naman ever since.

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
ganyan din naging sira ng red snark tuner ko... kumakapit pa din naman kahit 2 na lang yung claw. i put red electrical tape na lang para medyo mas stable. ayaw ko kasi i-glue dahil di na maiikot yun pag nilagyan ng glue.
To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
Baka nga. Kasi maingat naman ako sa gamit, especially tuners. When at home, I engage my pedal tuners with my fingers. I don't step on 'em. Sana may magawa pa din ang Lyric about this. Maiintindihan ko pa siguro kung used to kaso brand new ko binili eh. So it has to function properly and hindi dapat sira na ganun.

Sana nga. They haven't let me down naman ever since.

call the manager nalang and talk to him/her nicely and explain their options..Lyric has great service..I hope hindi masira ang faith ko sa kanila sa "customer satisfaction"..update us what will happen..bago pa naman and it wasnt abused..Lemon lang talaga..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline guitarpraise

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
Ganito rin yung Snark na nabili ko. Bumagsak pa nga sa sahig, pero okay pa naman. Nagkataon lang siguro na ganun yung unit na napunta sayo.  :?
ako kasi kala ko kaboses ko si john lennon noon, pero marami nagsasabi na mas kaboses ko si dolphy.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
call the manager nalang and talk to him/her nicely and explain their options..Lyric has great service..I hope hindi masira ang faith ko sa kanila sa "customer satisfaction"..update us what will happen..bago pa naman and it wasnt abused..Lemon lang talaga..

Got 2 out of 2 lemon units. Yung una, dark display kahit brand new battery. Etong pangalawa, sira agad yung claw.

Ganito rin yung Snark na nabili ko. Bumagsak pa nga sa sahig, pero okay pa naman. Nagkataon lang siguro na ganun yung unit na napunta sayo.  :?

Sakin hindi naman bumagsak eh. I was about to use it pa lang nga. Buti pa yung nabili kong SN-2 dati, sobrang tibay. Etong SN-8, di pa nga nababagsak, sira na.

Offline guitarpraise

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »

Sakin hindi naman bumagsak eh. I was about to use it pa lang nga. Buti pa yung nabili kong SN-2 dati, sobrang tibay. Etong SN-8, di pa nga nababagsak, sira na.

Saang branch niyo po ba nabili Sir? Para maiwasan hehe joke :lol: Tama si Sir Gandy kausapin na lang yung manager para malaman kung bat ganun. Yung sakin sa Cubao ko nabili, okay na okay pa rin siya ngayon  :wave:
ako kasi kala ko kaboses ko si john lennon noon, pero marami nagsasabi na mas kaboses ko si dolphy.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
Saang branch niyo po ba nabili Sir? Para maiwasan hehe joke :lol: Tama si Sir Gandy kausapin na lang yung manager para malaman kung bat ganun. Yung sakin sa Cubao ko nabili, okay na okay pa rin siya ngayon  :wave:

Read my post above. I included all the details. To save you time, Lyric Trinoma.

Offline nlsn

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 01:52:47 AM »
mukhang kaylangan ko na rin ingatan yung sn-8 ko, never pa naman siya pumalya sakin kahit almost a year na ata? basta pagkalabas niya sa lyrics bumili ko kaagad, medyo nababato bato ko pa pag nagmamadali magligpit,
and nabagsak na din ng maraming beses.

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:46 AM »
yung akin naputol yung parang neck. nakaduct tape na lang ngayon pero accurate parin. yun parin gamit ko sa live gigs.

Offline doubletrouble

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
another issue of some of the units is they eat batteries fast. twice ko din pinapalitan sa lyric yung nakuha ko na ganun.
Lyrics...wasted time during solos

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:11:13 AM »
Yung parang asin kamo is actually mold that makes plastics brittle.  Nagkakaganyan pag natatago sa humid places or alternating cold and hot environments without the moisture evaporating fully. 

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »
yung akin naputol yung parang neck. nakaduct tape na lang ngayon pero accurate parin. yun parin gamit ko sa live gigs.

Pano naputol? Nabagsak ba or something?

another issue of some of the units is they eat batteries fast. twice ko din pinapalitan sa lyric yung nakuha ko na ganun.

Ganun siguro yung una kong nakuha. Dark display agad when replaced with a brand new battery. lol

Yung parang asin kamo is actually mold that makes plastics brittle.  Nagkakaganyan pag natatago sa humid places or alternating cold and hot environments without the moisture evaporating fully. 

I got the tuner that way. So that means I got a brittle-bodied SN-8? I'm switching to Korg Pitchclip.

Offline IncX

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
oh you know those music stores. they resell defective products. they resell it until one of the buyers wont complain or they can come out with an argument that would make it look like your fault.

i know cause i bought an SX Acoustic with a dead 11th fret... i returned it, and just a few days ago, i saw the same guitar, being advertised for sale... same price too

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
oh you know those music stores. they resell defective products. they resell it until one of the buyers wont complain or they can come out with an argument that would make it look like your fault.

Really? 'Coz I received a message saying that I can bring my broken Snark to Lyric Main Office and talk to CJ Cristobal about this issue. He will then bring the unit to NAMM and discuss with Snark regarding quality issues. Looks like I'm not the only one who bought an SN-8 with quality issues.

i know cause i bought an SX Acoustic with a dead 11th fret... i returned it, and just a few days ago, i saw the same guitar, being advertised for sale... same price too

Same price? But technically it's not a brand new unit anymore. Sheesh.

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »
Pano naputol? Nabagsak ba or something?

naiwan ko na nakalagay sa headstock after tugtog,kinabukasan pagkuha ko putol na.

Offline IPGTR

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »

If this is the real reason, lalabas na hindi naging maganda ang storage ng Lyric Trinoma, or prior sa delivery ng item sa lyric nag occur na yung molding that made the item brittle.

gunslinger galing ng photography mo ah, kahit sira yung item ang ganda tignan  :-D
Hammer down the nails

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »

OT pero date my friend bought a faulty JOYO AC tone at lazer cubao. The good thing was that he received a replacement pedal. The bad thing was, when i returned to that branch 2 weeks after, i tested the SAME faulty AC Tone pedal (merong super liit na dent at palatandaan dun sa pedal, same issues din nung tinest ko) na nakadisplay pa talaga sa store nila. PFFT
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline IncX

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »
i think snark is bound to get into some QC control probs because the design itself isn't very strong. it's like those Nokia 6150, 5110 battery packs ... the design is not bound to last.

i own an SN 8 but i dont use it as much, so its still good. my cousin has an SN2, one of his bandmates played with it (twisting and pivoting the tuner out of boredom) and it broke. he glued it, so now it doesnt pivot, but it still works.

i am thinking i should buy 2 more Snark clip-ons, cause i know sooner or later this one is gonna break, either the clip or the pivoting ball on the tuner

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:43 AM »
I'm probably done with Snark. Might go for Korg Pitchclip or the new Planet Waves Mini Headstock Tuner.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Gunslinger..

I got to use the Snark again(same model as yours)..hahaha havent used it since October..and now i saw some of those white stuff..kaya ingat nga ingat ako..hahaha siguro dapat lagyan ng wd40 yun para smooth yung pag glide..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *