hulika

Author Topic: Stories on Stage (may it be Sad, Funny, Weird, Freaky)  (Read 45286 times)

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Sad Stories on Stage
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »
happened to a friend of mine back in my high school days:

during our school's open jam night, they were set to cover a song from Typecast yung Boston Drama but he (my friend) forgot the lyrics sa 2nd verse. they were booed and my friend walked out on stage because of the humiliation he received.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
whoa sushi...that's not just sad...that's downright scary!

If I were your drummer, I would've dropped down and started crawling or rolling out of the stage...grabe ah.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline Mocho

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
Gig sa RJ, yung newbie rhythm guitarist namin naputulan ng strings during a song, malayo ako sa amp nya so di ko napansin yung putol nyang string at yung sound nya afterward, the thing is nung naputol yung string nya tumalikod lang sya at tinuloy pa rin yung kaskas sa gitara. Our song was video recorded and his sound from the video was awful, parang nilalagaring yero. Todo practice pa naman ako sa bahay only to be ruined by a broken string.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »
My band's equipment ALWAYS fails when Jason Caballa of Pedicab is in the audience.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
THIS -->

(OLD, BUT STILL FUNNY)

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »
My band's equipment ALWAYS fails when Jason Caballa of Pedicab is in the audience.

Wow! Some sort of a curse? Coincidence? Seems like this Jason Caballa is a jinx to your band hehe

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
curious, how so?

way way back, we got on the bill for one of those bahay ng alumni gigs with a lot of bands listed to play (i remember catching cynthia alexander and barbie and kikomachine iirc) mga 9 pa lang andun na kami but we kept getting bumped further and further down the order because the other bands, for one reason or another, had to leave early or maybe the organizers knew them (and there were some pretty well known bands on the bill) but didn't know anyone in our band until were listed 2nd or 3rd to last to play.

anyway, we got onstage past 2am, our friends had gone home na (5 hours is too long to wait, lalo na if you're sitting on the floor and hindi naman inuman yun), the crowd was thinned to just those who were probably too wasted to get home and by then the amps (i can't remember if they were mic'ed at all, probably not but i think they were valvestate marshalls) had been taking a beating for 5 hours non-stop. first verse pa lang ng first song namin bumigay yung amp ko. completely dead, the power indicator was lit but walang tunog. i switched it off and on and it sputtered on for a while pero wala nang clean tone and, before i can turn around to continue playing, nawala na ulit yung tunog.

within that same song, the amp for the our other guitarist quit na din. the bass amp was working but you couldn't get a clean sound out of it na. aahh the magnificent sound of flubby speakers breathing their last breath.

halos maiyak yung vocalist namin sa inis and we vowed never to play single day events with more than 5 bands listed on the bill, kahit sino pa yung kasabay (since none of us were really into this to "make it" or make a living out of it). and sa buong barkada ako na lang yung hanggang ngayon active pa din. that was the one of the many gigs that convinced them there are lots of easier ways to have fun. :lol:
I can relate to this, one time at a gig in UP, we got pushed back so far down the lineup coz the "sorta main act" wants to get on stage just right before we were supposed to setup on stage after our friends' band. I got so pissed coz they had a long set, IIRC it was around 45mins to an hour. but right after them, we were next, so I was anxious by that time but still kinda pissed, then suddenly their very pretty vocalist went down the side of the stage to approach me and whispered "uy thanks ah..." or something like that, I just smiled and said "ok lang..." since she was so pretty and is kinda popular.  :cute: ....nawala bad trip ko. then lahat ng bandmates ko nagtataka, bat naka ngiti na ko. my only answer was "ang bango bango niya".  :wave:

PART 2,

after that ordeal, setup on stage. that time, we only had one tuner for the whole band. so we all had to plug in (2 guitars, 1 bass) before going on stage. then we played, it was all going well but we noticed our vocalist was really having a hard time singing, he was really pushing it. after our set, when we checked our tuning, "ok naman ah, naka standard tayong lahat" only to find out later that night when we plugged in to another tuner, that we were tuned 1 whole step higher. the tuner we used at the gig was busted... :eek:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:47:17 PM by shodawmoon »

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
THIS -->

(OLD, BUT STILL FUNNY)

Oh! Sorry but I really don't find it as funny. This vocalist is a jerk as if he never commit mistakes or AS IF he is a damn good singer. Poor guitarist. S*it happens on stage, live eh!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:55:12 PM by techbp »

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
Wow! Some sort of a curse? Coincidence? Seems like this Jason Caballa is a jinx to your band hehe

curious, how so?

Jason is a friend of the band's and Diego is my labelmate so every now and then he'd be in the audience. Whenever he's there, something would go wrong with the setup. One time, we bombed a set because our bass player's tuners came loose. (as in please throw that bass away, it's falling apart kind of loose) Jason was there. Another time, we gigged in Saguijo and he was there. First time seeing him after a while. A beer spilled somewhere near the stage and one of the bar staff guys unplugged my amp while I was playing, so I spent the entirety of our last song's build-uppy closer figuring out what was wrong. Ended up throwing my guitar in frustration. There are other times, but those are the two I could remember off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:34:01 PM by treblinkalovescene »
Offset guitars for life.

Offline Shred_22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »
pa gig ng school way back 2008 ata nag front act kami sa kilalang metal band sa concert for a cause sa school pero dumating yung mga tropang banda ng organizer so inatras kami yun ang pinauna hanggang sa nag decide ng tumugtog yung main event band na metal band kasi may gig pa silang iba. nakatugtog na yung main act kami hindi pa na "FRONT ACT" dapat kami. tapos nag uwian na yung ibang tao dahil tapos na yung main act band. pero marami pang front act band ang hindi pa nakakatugtog kasama kami hanggang naatras ng naatras dahil palakasan sa organizer nakatugtog ata kami around 1am then nung kami na halos kami kami nalang mag babarkada yung tao kasi yung ibang band nag uwian na din di na kayang mag hintay so it turns out na kami na yung last kasi yung iba hindi na tumugtog nag sawa na mag hintay.

kami kami na nga lang mag babarkada tao, then organizer and staff then nung tumutugtog na kami pinatay na lahat. yung ampli nalang talaga namin sa stage tumutunog then yung ibang ilaw pinatay na then nung 2nd song pati yung mic pinatay na eh yung vocalist namin tuloy kanta parin high  na high na eh panay inom nung nag hihintay sa bwiset eh and some epektus. dapat 4 songs each band pero pag tapos palang ng 2nd song namin lumapit organizer samin sabi "ooh tama na yan wala ng tao oh saka gabi na uwian na tayo" ayun baba kami.  :cry: :cry: :x :-o :eek: <_< :oops:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
hmmmmm, mukhang ang dami ngang cases na ganito ah.."last to play".. true kakafrustrate nga lalo pag nawala na yung momentum..

kaya tama din si IncX eh, parang mas ok nalang mag organize ng sariling jam, and invite some friends over for tambay and inom sa isang convenient place..tapos tumutog kay ng tumugtog hanggang magsawa...mas sulit at mas enjoy..kesa na pilitin makisabay sa 30 band a night 3song line up ...productions..ganun din lang din...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
whoa sushi...that's not just sad...that's downright scary!

If I were your drummer, I would've dropped down and started crawling or rolling out of the stage...grabe ah.

hey bitoy!

i think there were 4 trails of piss from the stage.... hahahah

i remember talking to him right after, he was pretty stunned and shaken, i saw him freeze when the guy pointed the gun at him. in fact, we were all frozen, but since i was on the side of the stage area i had to force life into my legs and escape.

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline toybitz

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »
I hope someone reported the incident to the authorities...

I remember a neighbor who shared the same wall I think with 70s Bistro, would often come inside 70s and stare ferociously at the band playing...hahaha!

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
I hope someone reported the incident to the authorities...

I remember a neighbor who shared the same wall I think with 70s Bistro, would often come inside 70s and stare ferociously at the band playing...hahaha!

i overlooked mentioning that the guy was a cop!

and since we were all naive kids (3rd year highschool?) making it out unscathed was enough.

hahaha! I think i'd probably have a hard time suppressing a laugh if i saw someone staring ferociously at a band from a window or something. both creepy and funny at the same time.  :-P
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline IncX

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
hmmmmm, mukhang ang dami ngang cases na ganito ah.."last to play".. true kakafrustrate nga lalo pag nawala na yung momentum..

kaya tama din si IncX eh, parang mas ok nalang mag organize ng sariling jam, and invite some friends over for tambay and inom sa isang convenient place..tapos tumutog kay ng tumugtog hanggang magsawa...mas sulit at mas enjoy..kesa na pilitin makisabay sa 30 band a night 3song line up ...productions..ganun din lang din...

hell yeah!

one of the best gigs i had was playing in a rehearsal room, and this pretty girl watched us ... after the rehearsal she went to me and said "you are kinda good"

best gig ever! i couldnt sleep ... too bad, i never got her number lol

Offline duhve

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »
Kaya wag suportahan ang mga production na nagsasalpak ng lampas sa 10 banda sa isang gig, ebribadi happy, mga naguupisang mga banda ang madalas mabiktima ng bad slot scenario.

Offline IncX

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
Kaya wag suportahan ang mga production na nagsasalpak ng lampas sa 10 banda sa isang gig, ebribadi happy, mga naguupisang mga banda ang madalas mabiktima ng bad slot scenario.

hehehe, kahit nga 6 bands, sobra na eh... imagine the set up time and the equipment abuse.

im thinking, a decent equipment should only be used max of 2 hours, with 15-30 min rests in between. crappy, cheap equipment should be used 1 hour or less.

as for metal ... yun talaga pinaka demanding in terms of equipment. yun nga lang, in my experience, the cheapest ticket prices belong to the noisiest music genres.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
bad slot scenario

hahaha eto pala term dyan..hahaha nice!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline siopao69

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
Not really sad, medyo fun nga.

Did an all punk set at guijo.
Napansin ko while setting up, medyo grabe na ang pagka "octopus" ng power extension cables. ayun while in the middle of the set biglang nag usok ng malakas. di namin pinansin. astig nga eh may stage effects. feeling namin "we're on fire" tonayt! haha
nung nag amoy nasusunog na plastic na at maitim na usok ang bumuga, hala takbo na lahat sa labas.
we couldve been know to be the band that burned down saguijo.

Offline siopao69

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
Rewind naman. high school days.

Tagaytay- tugtugan sa piyesta. napag tripan kami ng mga lasing buong set nag rerequest ng "Chiquitita". sinisigawan na kami- kaya nag walk out bokalista namin sa takot.

Noong nag regular kami sa isang  bar sa makati- may lasing din nag rerequest- di makapigil inagaw sa akin gitara ko at yun. eh ako high school pa. walang nagawa... yan sad.  :cry:

Niregaluhan ako ng una kong gitara ng tatay ko- nagsisimula pa lang ako matuto- sumali kami sa battle of the bands sa guadalupe. napaka "Brand new" at pa kinang-kinang pa ng gitara -Ibanez sv470 ata. after ng set namin, sabi ng MC "oh kita niyo? wala sa ganda ng gitara yan"  :cry: - after nun, tinadtad ko ng stickers.

Nowadays:
I feel a tinge of sadness when I see bands that resort to doing Comedy/Gimmicky/ stuff onstage just to get attention.
- that's a reflection of the current musical landscape we exist in today.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
my story.

it was the second worship service. i just had breakfast after the first. in the middle of the set, (we usually play 6 songs, 3 fast, 3 slow) mga middle of the third fast song, i started feeling something in my tummy. sabi ko "oks lang yan, wag lang bumaba yung pakiramdam sa (you know)" eh nung start nung slow set, ayun na, bumaba na. i was enduring it for the next 3 songs. nung extro nung last song, as the people were clapping, i put my guitar down agad and left the stage, all sweaty, hehe. hindi ko na hinintay yung final bagsak nung band, hahaha! grabe, nakakanginig ng tuhod.

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
My sad story will always be about technical difficulties and heres one to share  :cry:

Octoberfest 2007 or 2008 i think I was using a Vox Valvetronix 2 X12 (its already on stage) and at the middle of the intro and it suddenly stop working. The amp is still on but theres no sound coming out. The Technical crew came on stage to check and it came back. After a few minutes theres no sound coming out again of the amp. I have no time to change to another amp. This happened again for three songs and I'm the only guitarist (rhythm and lead). Its the worst thing to happen especially if the songs are guitar oriented. Its one of the worst gig moments of my life.

One bar in Katipunan almost in front of Ateneo ( I forgot the name ) - Bad slot Scenario ( ^ found the term in some post hehe (salamat sa definition) ). our slot for the gig umurong ng umurong up to the point na hindi na kami nakatugtog. Dahil sa dami ng singit and our contact was barely able to do something about it. Waste of time, money, pagod, praktis and we have guests. Nakakahiya.

References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Not really sad, medyo fun nga.

Did an all punk set at guijo.
Napansin ko while setting up, medyo grabe na ang pagka "octopus" ng power extension cables. ayun while in the middle of the set biglang nag usok ng malakas. di namin pinansin. astig nga eh may stage effects. feeling namin "we're on fire" tonayt! haha
nung nag amoy nasusunog na plastic na at maitim na usok ang bumuga, hala takbo na lahat sa labas.
we couldve been know to be the band that burned down saguijo.

wow kung nagkataon ozone saguijo pala nangyari. Buti nalang it didn't went that bad

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Bad slot scenario..hahahaha

may napansin din ako sa last bad slot scenario namin..na may mga bands na same members din, pero different bands siguro pinalitan lang yung vox or guitar player...palagay ko yun ang pinakasulit  kasi kung may 2 bands ka di nakatugtog ka ng 6 songs instead of 3..hahaha..

pinaka peeve ko talaga is yung super tagal mag setup na bands..sayang oras..yung magtotono on stage na napakatagal..ang ginagawa ko with respect sa time eh..pag last song na ng band before us..maquick tune up na using clip on tuners and general check na ng gear..para pagakyat plug in lang ang konting amp tweaks nalang...

yung iba kasi..halos kasing haba ng set nila yung pag set up nila..kaya umaabot ng umaga yung tugtugan..lalo sa 20 band productions..hahaha
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline toybitz

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
my story.

it was the second worship service. i just had breakfast after the first. in the middle of the set, (we usually play 6 songs, 3 fast, 3 slow) mga middle of the third fast song, i started feeling something in my tummy. sabi ko "oks lang yan, wag lang bumaba yung pakiramdam sa (you know)" eh nung start nung slow set, ayun na, bumaba na. i was enduring it for the next 3 songs. nung extro nung last song, as the people were clapping, i put my guitar down agad and left the stage, all sweaty, hehe. hindi ko na hinintay yung final bagsak nung band, hahaha! grabe, nakakanginig ng tuhod.

kakaibang in-filling! hahaha!

imaginin niyo lang si McReady ng Pearl Jam...hindi na niya raramdaman ang pagbaba....basta lumalabas na lang...poor guy.