hulika

Author Topic: wah with fuzz.  (Read 2094 times)

Offline ebacoids

wah with fuzz.
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
ive been using a wah before the fuzz face. and it really sucks. hindi ko ma pull off yung mga hendrix sounds. pano ko ba ito ma rremedyohan? ayoko naman tunog nung wah after nung fuzz face. i've read na if you mod the wah or the fuzz face that it will help, has anyone tried that? thanks po :)

Offline qwi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: wah with fuzz.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
you'll need to modify the wah to add a buffer circuit. just google 'wah buffer mod', you'll get tons of info
for sale jim dunlop univibe & Epi chet atkins
also available PIO caps 22nf & 47nf @150pesos

Offline IncX

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
i noticed that fuzz face types want to be first in the chain... they don't like dealing with buffered or affected signals

Offline ebacoids

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
thanks for the comments. i checked out the mods, pero the thing is i dont understand any of these electronic stuff. mayroon bang pwede magmod nung wah ko para sakin?

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »
ive been using a wah before the fuzz face. and it really sucks. hindi ko ma pull off yung mga hendrix sounds. pano ko ba ito ma rremedyohan? ayoko naman tunog nung wah after nung fuzz face. i've read na if you mod the wah or the fuzz face that it will help, has anyone tried that? thanks po :)

As far as I know, Hendrix did not get the wah and fuzz face to play well together too. Most of his wah tones that sounded 'good' were just played with a wah straight into an overdriven Marshall. I have listened to a lot of Hendrix's live recordings and whenever he engaged the wah with the fuzz, I heard lots of noises, oscillation, etc. The wah also lost its sweep and just sounded very washed out.

There are rumors that say that Roger Mayer modified Hendrix's wah pedals with a buffer in the circuit that made it work well with fuzz faces. But there's no proof regarding that.

If you want the wah and fuzz face to work well together, look into the Foxrox or Area 51 buffers.  :)

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
To the OP: yung bang fuzz ini-i-stack mo sa isang base tone pedal(better kung Marshall-y)? As for the fuzz-wah or wah-fuzz, hindi rin fixed yung  pagamit ni Jimi as far as I've read. Depende lang siguro sa mood niya or tugtugan.

Pag fuzz-wah may tendency na sumobra yung "woosh" sound lalo pag malaki yung sweep nung wah. Pag wah-fuzz naman, minsan kulang sa sweep.

Incidentally, last night lang talaga ako naconvince to go the wah-fuzz route. Iba kasi talaga yung feel at yung bigness nung tone compared pag fuzz-wah. Mas reactive sa volume pot changes at mas madali dalhin sa controlled feedback.

Offline ebacoids

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »
well, i sometimes stack it with a BD-2. medyo hindi ko gusto yung mix so paminsan ko lang ginagawa. most of the time pure fuzz lang siya.

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
May gain ba sa amp? Kung wala maganda na meron kang pedal na parang Marshall Plexi(JTM 45) style, hindi yung JCM or hotrodded Marshalls style. So open-sounding yung pagkakavoice para mas malalim yung travel nung wah sa bass frequencies as opposed to compressed.

Yun kasing bd-2 di ba halos walang gain?

Offline ebacoids

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »
i see. knda like TS-type pedals or something like Timmy? well konti lang gain nung BD-2. dapat beyond 12o'clock yung gain knob para magkaroon ng talgang gain.

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »
Yung mga hotrodded TS siguro pwede na pero Timmy baka sobrang bright na sa end ng travel ng wah. Yung Voodoo Chile(Slight Return), based sa issue ng GP mag, nirecord using a Fender Bassman, not a Marshall Plexi as most has thought of before.

Offline rubis915

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
thanks for the comments. i checked out the mods, pero the thing is i dont understand any of these electronic stuff. mayroon bang pwede magmod nung wah ko para sakin?

you just need to mod the wah to true bypass..
thats all.. ano palang wah mo?
"double shot triple espresso with a black coffee chaser without the 'frying bacon sound' tone'..."

Check this band: https://soundcloud.com/mad-love-misery

Offline ebacoids

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
VOX V847 wah. so pano kung lagyan ko ng gain yung amp ko orange amp ko mismo?

Offline rubis915

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
better ..  hiram ka muna ng modded na wah (true bypass)
pag ok..  tsaka ka pa-mod...

with amp gain naman.. medyo mas harsh na fuzz
pag meron... to taste nalang "syempre"
"double shot triple espresso with a black coffee chaser without the 'frying bacon sound' tone'..."

Check this band: https://soundcloud.com/mad-love-misery

Offline ebacoids

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Its better kuhng hindi transparent OD yung od after nung wah ko?