hulika

Author Topic: any SUBLIME - like pinoy bands here?  (Read 8449 times)

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
any SUBLIME - like pinoy bands here?
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »
guys,
i know a few, pero baka may alam pa kayong iba? thanks!!

-N

Offline nichteque

Re: any SUBLIME - like pinoy bands here?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:21:40 AM »
a lot, if not all of today's reggae bands, start out with sublime covers. only a few move on.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:56 PM »
a lot, if not all of today's reggae bands, start out with sublime covers. only a few move on.

yeah, i know some. but not all the reggae bands do sublime. i think that is one way to know if there are sublime-like bands.. by doing subime covers..

Offline nichteque

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:00:32 AM »
just a note...sublime isn't exactly reggae but more like a reggae-influenced group. they have reggae songs that get covered by a lot of reggae bands here in the philippines but in my opinion that isn't a sufficient reason for anyone to claim they are reggae.

i don't have anything against these southern california groups, and i enjoy some of their music...pero ang nakikita kong problema kasi dito...parang ito nalang ang gusto pakinggan ng ibang tao, lalo na yung mga baguhan sa reggae (madali naman kasing kagatin ng tao ang tunog) at ito nalang ang nagiging "reggae" para sa kanila. indeed, if one wants to be "like sublime", they should start listening not only to sublime, but also to what sublime listened to. and what's better...listen to what sublime's influences listened to. with that, one will get a deeper understanding of the skanks, the scats, the syncopations, the drums, the bass, and all the other elements which make up reggae music. it's like a never-ending process but the rewards are great.

absolutely noooooo offense to anyone. pa-share lang. peace.
(that wasn't offensive anyway, was it now?) :)

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:44:22 PM »
just a note...sublime isn't exactly reggae but more like a reggae-influenced group. they have reggae songs that get covered by a lot of reggae bands here in the philippines but in my opinion that isn't a sufficient reason for anyone to claim they are reggae.

i don't have anything against these southern california groups, and i enjoy some of their music...pero ang nakikita kong problema kasi dito...parang ito nalang ang gusto pakinggan ng ibang tao, lalo na yung mga baguhan sa reggae (madali naman kasing kagatin ng tao ang tunog) at ito nalang ang nagiging "reggae" para sa kanila. indeed, if one wants to be "like sublime", they should start listening not only to sublime, but also to what sublime listened to. and what's better...listen to what sublime's influences listened to. with that, one will get a deeper understanding of the skanks, the scats, the syncopations, the drums, the bass, and all the other elements which make up reggae music. it's like a never-ending process but the rewards are great.

absolutely noooooo offense to anyone. pa-share lang. peace.
(that wasn't offensive anyway, was it now?) :)

not at all, but all a mis-information:

i asked "any SUBLIME - like pinoy bands here?", and i said i know a few..

you said "a lot, if not all of today's reggae bands, start out with sublime covers. only a few move on."

than i said "yeah, i know some. but not all the reggae bands do sublime. i think that is one way to know if there are sublime-like bands.. by doing subime covers.."

hehehe, i particularly know that sublime is not really a reggae band.. they even do ska for that matter.. so far nobody in this thread is "claiming they are reggae". diba? hehehehe.. :-D

"indeed, if one wants to be "like sublime", they should start listening not only to sublime, but also to what sublime listened to. and what's better...listen to what sublime's influences listened to." very true. but why should someone limit themselves to listening to what they want?

"..parang ito nalang ang gusto pakinggan ng ibang tao, lalo na yung mga baguhan sa reggae (madali naman kasing kagatin ng tao ang tunog) at ito nalang ang nagiging "reggae" para sa kanila." pare, it's more than the "tunog na madaling kagatin ng tao".. i am 37 years old(medyo thanders na), way back high school n college, i have been listening to marley, ub40, shinehead, ziggy marley, some police, some men at work (i think you know what i mean), and listening to these "tunog" there is a feeling which only a few can feel and understand..  :wink:

i'm just worried that if other reggae/roots aficionados read this will definitely be... ouch. bro that's your opinion, you have the right, but believe me, that kind of opinion should be kept to yourself kaya... pero trip mo rin naman pala sila papa-dom eh, hehehe.. dun ka pala sa trop-dep akustikal jam, hehehe..  :-o

btw, what music do you listen to besides "some" of the reggae?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:52:57 PM by the_Nong »

Offline nichteque

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:00:53 PM »
hehehe, i particularly know that sublime is not really a reggae band.. they even do ska for that matter.. so far nobody in this thread is "claiming they are reggae". diba? hehehehe.. :-D
buti nga kung ganun ser. pero bukod po sa ating mga forumites, marami parin ang hindi nalilinawan. :)

very true. but why should someone limit themselves to listening to what they want?
konti lang kasi talaga ang kayang humakot ng malalim...if it's no longer a love song, or if it doesn't sound like the reggae they're used to...they won't even bother. this is a sad fact and sa aming paaralan lang eh napakarami paring ganito. sasabihin nila "dudeparetol adik ako sa reggae pare" when in fact sa marijuana lang pala sila hooked, listening to nothing more than "i shot the sheriff" and "jamming". hahaha.

pare, it's more than the "tunog na madaling kagatin ng tao".. i am 37 years old(medyo thanders na), way back high school n college, i have been listening to marley, ub40, shinehead, ziggy marley, some police, some men at work (i think you know what i mean), and listening to these "tunog" there is a feeling which only a few can feel and understand..  :wink:
well, yes, in the end it's all about how one feels about the music. kawalan nalang ng ibang tao yun kung lilimitahan nila ang sarili nila.

i'm just worried that if other reggae/roots aficionados read this will definitely be... ouch. bro that's your opinion, you have the right, but believe me, that kind of opinion should be kept to yourself kaya... pero trip mo rin naman pala sila papa-dom eh, hehehe.. dun ka pala sa trop-dep akustikal jam, hehehe..  :-o
forums are forums, we speak out ideas and not everyone will agree on it. buti nga at maganda yung pinag-uusapan natin, hindi tungkol sa kung saan lang. diba?

btw, what music do you listen to besides "some" of the reggae?
wala ring boundaries sa genre ser, i don't like putting things in boxes. post-hardcore, one of the many genres inappropriately tagged as "emo"..underground rap, trance at iba pang electronic.

:)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 10:02:35 PM by nichteque »

Offline paperlungs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:25:52 PM »
sir, freefish... :mrgreen:

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
 :roll:

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
Sa pinoy kung anu ang uso yung ang kinakagat kung saan sila magmumukhang cool dun sila yan ang majority attitude natin im not pertaining to all di ba... not so long ago nauso ang rap metal madami ang na hooked dun then yung trend naging emo so on and so forths.
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »
sabi nga ng linkin park:

in the end it doesnt even matter..........(teng nen neng teneneng.....one thing...blah blah blah...!) :-D
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »
i tried so hard and ......... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline Speed_Kills

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »
 :-) :-D

itchybrain

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »

Aaahhh.. Learning  new things each day. :)

Offline redslim08

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
hmmmmm PLACID <------------ROCK/REGGAE

may mafefeel ka na SUBLIME :D

mapapakinggan nyo sila sa:
http://myspace.com/bastaplacid
http://bastaplacid.multiply.com
http://friendster.com/bastaplacid

ETO MGA GIG NG PLACID KUNG GUSTO NYO SILA MAPANOOD LIVE:
May 16   -   May 16 - Als Bar (iScream Productions) w/ paramita

May 17   -   May 17 - Mayrics, Espana w/ Neruda, Maryzark, Subscapular, Hotsipatootsi, Wav, Lysosome, Moonflowers

May 21   -   May 21 - Dayo Bar

May 24   -   May 24 - Cafe Saguijo w/ Pack Of Wolves, kampai, Dahon

May 27   -   May 27 - Route 196 w/ Cambio, Pumping Pluto, and Cherry Cornflakes.

Offline alwaysdready

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »
mga tol baka may kilala kayong reggae or ska bands na gusto tumugtog sa ONELUV REGGAE BAR sa paranaque or sa XAYMACA timog, txt nyo lang ako

thanks mga kapatid!
ALWAYSDREADY PRODUCTION:
REGGAE, SKA, DANCEHALL, DUB, ROOTS, and other genre
09274908382 - jigz Parañaque-based production

Offline seven_segment

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 01:27:29 PM »
Sa pinoy kung anu ang uso yung ang kinakagat kung saan sila magmumukhang cool dun sila yan ang majority attitude natin im not pertaining to all di ba... not so long ago nauso ang rap metal madami ang na hooked dun then yung trend naging emo so on and so forths.

yeah but not all sir...

dami dito sa Cebu...really indie...weird but lots of skills...hehehe
http://www.facebook.com/OLBOmusic

thanks to ---> bumbum, balakubak33, vp-rakista, incubus32, mondemonle, tackielarla, sbalbaguio2006, the_Nong, obetski...waaa nakalimutan ko yung iba..but anyway, thanks for the good transaction

Offline princess_irie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
have you heard CBI or coffee break island?

Offline mike santos

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
have you heard CBI or coffee break island?

NAMAN!!! :-D
//sining para sa panlipunang pagbabago//
SIR MIKE

Offline mike santos

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
sabi nga ng linkin park:

in the end it doesnt even matter..........(teng nen neng teneneng.....one thing...blah blah blah...!) :-D

AHAHAHAHAHA,,, AHAHAHAHA,,, AHAHAHAHA!!!!

KULIT EH NOH,,, PUNTO ITO,,, :-D
SIR MIKE

Offline mike santos

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
eh mejo matanda na din ako weh, pero yung usaping "pagkakahon" ng sining ay usapin nadin nuon, at patuloy na magiging usapin sa mga darating na panahon,,,

at sa huli mamatay din tayo lahat,,, hahaha,,, :-D
SIR MIKE