The Musician Forums > Guitar Central

VOX AC and Hiwatt amps

(1/20) > >>

BAMF:
Been browsing my downloaded schematics for my first all-tube amp build. Looking at a 50 Watter.  I'm thinking of just going hybrid. Like tube preamp, solid state tone control and phase splitter, then tube power amps. I'll just adjust the voltage and impedance requirements closely. That way I can limit the tube count to just three.

It seems that the VOX AC amps and the Hiwatts are much simpler than Marshalls to build. Tube count is roughly the same for equal wattage, but the number of passive components are much less for those two amps.

Has anyone had any experience with those ? They're awfully rare in the RP. Will it approximate the "brown sound" that Marshall fans like me adore ?

BAMF

deltaslim:

--- Quote from: BAMF ---Been browsing my downloaded schematics for my first all-tube amp build. Looking at a 50 Watter.  I'm thinking of just going hybrid. Like tube preamp, solid state tone control and phase splitter, then tube power amps. I'll just adjust the voltage and impedance requirements closely. That way I can limit the tube count to just three.

It seems that the VOX AC amps and the Hiwatts are much simpler than Marshalls to build. Tube count is roughly the same for equal wattage, but the number of passive components are much less for those two amps.

Has anyone had any experience with those ? They're awfully rare in the RP. Will it approximate the "brown sound" that Marshall fans like me adore ?

BAMF
--- End quote ---

I'm not an expert but it seems building a Vox or Hiwatt are complicated for a first build?  Have you tried building an AX84?  I think they have different flavors naman -- or give one your own Vox/Hiwatt flavor.

Al_Librero:
OT: How's that solid marble electric guitar coming along?

BAMF:
Al : Gave it lots of thought. Figgers that natural marble will entail too much expense and time as I might have to travel to Romblon just for it.

I had a better idea. Cultured marble made from Resin and calcium carbonate. It won't need to be carved, it can be molded :D .  Mixture can even be modified so that the body will be cultured granite so I can have a "hard rock guitar" :D.

If you could help by donating a strat body that's lying around, I'd be much obliged. I need something to mold around.

Delta: Yup I've looked at the AX84 site a couple of times. Very interesting, but the power output on the original circuits are...well...kinda low. The expense between those and 50 Watt things won't be too great.

zook:
BAMF,

Will the parts be 100% locally sourced including the power and output transformers? I've been wanting to build the Ax84 P1 for ages but have given up on the idea because I don't think there is a local substitute for the Hammond output and power transformers listed on the bill of materials. I'm not planning to order online either because it's darn expensive.

I actually don't know anything about electronics but I think the AX84 schematics are simple enough for mere mortals to understand. Documentation is abundant as well. It would definitely be a great way to acquire a new skill  set. That is if I don't get zapped by 300 volts!

Anyway, good luck on your project. Give us an update once you've finished your 50 watt screamer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version