hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296962 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »
ano po yung pron?

pron is webspeak for P--N (invert pron's 2 middle letters). Amateur productions of this video 'artform' have greatly increased since they introduced webcams into most peoples bedrooms (or kitchens or living rooms or bathrooms, basements, trees in backyards...  you get the picture).

so i still need to buy a video capture software? o kasama na yun nung uninstall ang A4TECH webcam ko sa pc?

Depends if the camera came with some rudimentary video capture software. Windows usually has Movie Maker which can capture video and audio (look in the Accessories folder).

Is "SOUND RECORDER" a name of a software? san binibili ito? mga how much? o downloadable ba ito? how about yung KRISTAL? Me nadownload ako eh. free daw. legal naman ho yun right? di ko lang alam gamitin pa.:)

You can find Sound Recorder in the Accessories folder; it is a very rudimentary audio recording program built into windows. You can also use Kristal, Audacity and any other software as long as it can access the webcam mic via windows drivers. Usually you will have to assign the mic as the default audio input device in window's Sound Control Panel.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marikukuk

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »
sir what kind of software the name exactly would you recomend? and where can i score one? can i download it from the net? pls tell me how tnx!

Offline wannabeguitarist

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »
Hi Sir KitC,

question...I was able to record using my g7.1, pc and cubase, but when i played it via my pc or ipod, the sound volume is low. What do i need to adjust duirng recording to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »
question...I was able to record using my g7.1, pc and cubase, but when i played it via my pc or ipod, the sound volume is low. What do i need to adjust duirng recording to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

Well, one thing you should always do is check levels prior to pressing the record button. Normally, I like to set levels to 0 dB for EVERYTHING, including the soundcard's control panel/mixer, then adjust things from there. If you have the volume faders slammed full on and you're still getting low levels, then it's time to check your signal chain - most likely you have external equipment that is outputting low levels or even a defective cable.

Another thing to check is your monitoring; you might have your monitors at too loud levels forcing you to overcompensate your recording levels. I will repeat, set your soundcard to 0 dB for both input and output, then adjust your monitors and your preamp levels from there.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
sir KitC...newbie po in home recording...i just wanted to have some "demo" recordings as my equipments are very limited;

PC w/ jamlab installed
tube amp
guitar effects

>how can i connect  my tube amp to my PC in order to record it decently?
>which "affordable" software can you recommend for a hobbyist like me?

i'll mostly record guitar tracks lang naman...thanks in advance... 8-) 8-) 8-)

black moon creeping...

Offline diosa!

« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »
sir KitC...newbie po in home recording...i just wanted to have some "demo" recordings as my equipments are very limited;

PC w/ jamlab installed
tube amp
guitar effects

>how can i connect  my tube amp to my PC in order to record it decently?
>which "affordable" software can you recommend for a hobbyist like me?

i'll mostly record guitar tracks lang naman...thanks in advance... 8-) 8-) 8-)

pm me and ill give you free basic tips. :oops:

sino katabi ng dios? ang diosa!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »
@haey - Sorry if I haven't replied sooner... I can see that a goddess has decided to advice you via PM.

Anyway, from what I know about Jamlab, you connect your guitar directly to the interface without any need for an amp. This is advantageous in that you don't have to go through the motions of miking an amp (and possibly disturbing the neighbors or other members of the family), and secondly, you have a potentially quieter signal path. Disadvantages are that you cannot record a direct signal and an amp at the same time... you are forced to use amp sims with Jamlab to get your tone. At least it has a headphone/line out giving you low latency monitoring although I'm not exactly sure if it is hardware monitoring.

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »

@diosa! - sent you a pm....thanks in advance 8-)

@KitC - no worries sir...the guitar recording that I get thru the "jamlab" seems to be decent enough for me to use as a demo... I was just thinking if I could record the tone that I get from the tube amp, as it sounds better in my ears...thanks again sir KitC... 8-)
black moon creeping...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »
I was just thinking if I could record the tone that I get from the tube amp, as it sounds better in my ears...

I'm thinking it would since the Jamlab amp sims aren't it's strongest suit.

I would recommend getting a multiple input interface if you want to simultaneously record the guitar direct signal plus your amp. This would entail adding equipment like a DI, mixer and mic if you're going for a miked setup. The DI will serve as a splitter allowing you to send a direct signal to your interface while another goes to your amp.

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2008, 07:55:13 AM »
Just a little newbie question sirs, can I directly connect a balanced dynamic microphone to my computer's line-in?

Offline blueweller

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »
Hello everyone!

Here's my newbie question:

Since last year I've always wanted to start and learn recording music via my pc. But because of budget reasons it was delayed. Now that I feel I can pursue (and afford) this dream/goal I want to know what are the basics that needs to be attached or installed to my pc before I begin? I've heard so much about the m-audio interface (fastrack) but is this enough to start recording? What about where to plug in the guitar, mics, bass, etc...? I'm also planning to use Abelton live 7.0.3 is this any good? I was able to download the demo and I find it ok but if you have something else let me know too. What else do I need? Nothing complicated just something to produce good music will do but I'm very much open to alot of suggestions. Sorry to ask so many questions and I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before but I just wanna learn this so much.

Thanks in advance.
Bring back that spark!

Offline sound formula

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
good day! i am bothered by pops from the monitor speakers that occur when we play the recorded tracks when we mix. it happens especially when we play the mix of songs with relatively more tracks (say, more than 20) and songs in which we use more plug-ins for. I recently added 1GB RAM because i thought this will solve the problem but unfortunately, it didn't. my present set-up is an Intel dual core processor 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64MB Video Card. I use an M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI Recording Interface and my software is Sony Vegas 6. It really bothers me when the pops occur. Could you please help me remedy this? Thank you.

Offline diosa!

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »
guys, ongoing is the clearance sale on all m-audio products at jb music. for more info call or text 09272008383/09186106561/09228171590. :oops:
sino katabi ng dios? ang diosa!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »
@pizarro84 - No, you cannot connect a balanced mic directly to your pc's line ins.

@blueweller - the fasttrack can be good if you are recording a stereo track or 2 mono channels simultaneously. Anything more than 2 channels and you will need a multichannel soundcard or use a mixer to submix everything to stereo. I also use Ableton Live but if you intend to treat your computer as a sort of tape recorder, Ableton Live may be not what you need. I like Live for the fact that it's very easy to make rearrangements, but it has a tendency to shorten audio clips to fit the tempo of your project unless you set Live's preferences properly. You can use Live similarly to Sonar and Cubase although it's working paradigm is different from either program.

@sound formula - ram isn't so much a factor during recording, your processor is more than enough for the task. One thing to look at would be your hard disk; either it's fragmented or too slow for the job. Another thing is to record with as little plugins active as possible. Also, check your soundcard latency settings - it might be set too low even for your cpu.

hth,

Offline blueweller

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2008, 05:55:59 AM »
Thanks sa advise Sir Kit! But for a novice like me and who's just starting from scratch will you recommend the fast track right away?

Thanks!
Bring back that spark!

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
@blueweller, I'm no KitC but I can recommend you the Fast Track Pro. Like you I'm a newbie as well in the audio recording field and I'm getting good results with my Fast Track.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »
Thanks sa advise Sir Kit! But for a novice like me and who's just starting from scratch will you recommend the fast track right away?

I'd say it's a safe bet to go with known brands. One more thing, make sure that the inputs (and outputs) are sufficient for your needs. The new Fast Track Pro looks like a good multi-input card but I'm thinking it's pricey.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »
Help!

I'm planning to run the following software on my PC using a Delta 44 Soundcard:

Sibelius 4
Reaper + A lot of freeware softsynths and VST effects
Sound Forge
Cool Edit Pro

all of which would be running on Windows XP.

What specs should I look for? I'm off to go to Gilmore to get the following:

Processor
Motherboard
RAM
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2008, 12:16:52 AM »
@titser - if budget isn't much of a problem, Intel is the better bet in terms of performance. You have a choice from the E21xx series up to the quad core Q6xxx series. The Delta 44 is a pci card so you need a mobo with at least 3 pci slots. Right now, the Intel P35 chipset is proven for DAW use so that leaves you with the Gigabyte GA P35-DS3, Abit IP35 and MSI P35 Neo3. Get at least 1 gig of ram, preferably dual channel. 2 gigs of DDR2 800 ram cost P2.3k - cost effective and high performance at the same time.

hth,

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2008, 04:02:30 AM »
Salamat po sir kit  :-) ngayun ko lang nabasa

Offline Peter North

« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
Sir Kit,

I'm planning to record my band. I have an ASUS laptap, core 2 duo, 2 gig of memory, 160 gig hard disk. I'm planning of buying an Alesis Firewire Multimix 12, would this be enough to record drums? How many tracks will appear on my laptap?

pasensya na po, bagito pa ako sa larangan ng recording.

Salamat ng marami.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
You can get up to 12 tracks with the Alesis FW Multimix 12. Just make sure your laptop's FW chipset is up to the task since some onboard FW chips have issues with audio - verify first with Alesis for possible compatibility problems. If so, you might have to invest in a pcmcia or expresscard firewire expansion.

If you use a 4-mic setup for drums, you should have no problems recording an entire band. Note that the Multimix's other channels are ganged to stereo faders as well as being line level inputs only. Unless you have additional preamps for mics, you are limited to the 4 mic preamps in the multimix.

Offline britesynth

• Veteran Member
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »
kung may 15k ako at gusto ko sana mag upgrade ng pc, alin po kaya dapat ko unahin palitan?

(specs???)
motherboard?...
processor?...
memory?...
soundcard?... (alin mas ok internal or external? - kung external ano advisable?)
15k lang muna po ah ang budget, wala po kasi ako mashado alam pag dating sa specs ng mga pc o laptop,

vocals lang halos ang kelangan irecord ng live (kahit home recording lang o pang demo lang shempre mas maganda kung malinis) yung music sa softwares na, suggestions?  :? thanks!  :-D 
"never lose groove even if the beat goes out of time and the song goes out of tune"

Offline Peter North

« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2008, 01:14:36 PM »
Thanks a lot Sir Kit!

I've read some infos about alesis multimix firewire products and it appears that there are many issues about them. I'm having second thoughts of acquiring one. Anyway, right now i have a mixer with 24 mic preamps (China made mixer). How can i make use of this  mixer to record our songs to my laptap? what would be the minimal interface (don't know if its the right term) that i should buy?

Thanks ulit sir.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »
@britesynth - 15k will not get you very far since a mobo and cpu will already set you back about 9k. That leaves you very little for other peripherals unless you are going to re-use some peripherals like drive/s, burners, and the case. It's often recommended to use at least 500w PSUs with the newer boards even though they are energy efficient; most audio computer have at least 2 hard disks and burners as well as lots of ram and an efficient fan system, so the PSU wattage is justified.

@Peter North - it depends on your mixer configuration. Some 24 channel mixers come in 4-buss or 8-buss configurations which can help you with your soundcard choice, e.g., pair a 4-buss mixer with a 4-input soundcard. I still maintain that if you can afford an interface with at least 8 inputs, the better - you never know when the additional inputs will come in handy. There are loads of firewire interfaces out there from Presonus, Focusrite... even A.R.T. has the Tubefire which pairs 8 of it's TubeMP preamps with a firewire interface. Even Phonic has a firewire mixer similar to Alesis. For the record, we have used an Alesis FW Multimix8 with no problems other than 8 channels is too limiting for our needs - ask xjepoyx for our experience with the Multimix.