hulika

Author Topic: worst damn blues i've ever heard (sorry, freedom of speech)  (Read 4326 times)

william251082

don't get me wrong, i can't play half as good as this guy, i love his heavy metal stuff and that strat tone is just awesome but if u wanna learn d blues don't take anything from this video!
mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:42:12 PM by william251082 »

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: worst damn blues i've ever heard (sorry, freedom of speech)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
Hehehe. You're right. That's gotta be some of the most tasteless excuse for "blues" I've ever heard -- a totally self indulgent wank. It's actually pretty funny. Why'd he even bother playing over a backing track?  :-D

william251082

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:46:48 PM »
i don't see where he's going from there, that's just some guitar noises. no soul, no story, no feel; he has d freedom to do his thing but blues is really more than speed picking. one blues box idea after another, it's like some crazy man talking to himself. we can really learn from everyone who plays d instrument, good or bad.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:49:19 PM by william251082 »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »
...well ...it's another way of playing the blues.

you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 03:33:21 PM »

its not really blues at all... it is yngwie malmsteem. he just calls it blues cause of the backing track.

the thing with yngwie is that whatever he plays, it sounds like him - squeezing in notes as much as possible.

that could be a good thing or a bad thing. self indulgent, yes, but that is him, and he is one of the mainstream pioneers of that school of guitar playing.

if i can play as fast as him, i would definitely play the blues the way he does *lol* the only reason why i play blues the way i do is because of technical limitations *lol*

well, at least, when he plays blues its not generic blues... like a lot of ppl ive seen and heard (including me, hehe).

i wont diss this guy yet.

william251082

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »
thnx for d reply, if i could play like that, i'd surely play d blues in a different manner, u're right about d personal style of course and if u also listen closely enough to those generic blues players (as u called them), u'll also hear some subtle differences, something that make them themselves...wow, i don't know, i'm not good in philosophical discussions, maybe 'we should just shut up and play our guitar'-FZ hahahaha peace!
gr,william
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:06:15 PM by william251082 »

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »
there are a few good licks in there......nawala lang ang taste.....

it's interesting to note that hendrix was a prime influence in malmsteen's playing.....but i think it's only the freakiness that he got and he never got the organic side of hendrix....which i love.

speed can be used in blues.....srv was considered a fast blues player....playing every lick as agressive as he can, like it was the last time he could ever get to play it all.

again speed is a good tool, but you got use it tastefully....and that's not just in the blues.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:48:31 AM »

maybe..it's just d way he wanted--and can express his BLUES.. kanya-knyang trip!! :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »

maybe..it's just d way he wanted--and can express his BLUES.. kanya-knyang trip!! :-D
believe me...a lot of guitar players out there think he's playing the blues.  I almost got into an argument about it in another website with "foreeenjers"

william251082

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 06:55:36 AM »
so who can play d blues then? kanya kanyang trip, d ko trip blues nya eh hahahha (yabang eh no?) but like i said i worship him playing his heavy metal stuff and i learned a lot about picking technique by watching him. peace on earth!
gr,william
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:12:42 AM by william251082 »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:58 AM »
so who can play d blues then? kanya kanyang trip, d ko trip blues nya eh hahahha (yabang eh no?) but like i said i worship him playing his heavy metal stuff and i learned a lot about picking technique by watching him. peace on earth!
gr,william
that  is why you have to be broad minded and open to anything in music. Someone's jazz or blues might be rock to you....or ....you know what I mean.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 11:49:37 AM »
Watched it again.

It is blues...and rock...and shred...and metal...and even fusion with a bit of neo-classic pyrotechnics thrown in. It even verges on technical virtuosity...kanya kanya nga talaga...

...but that's STILL gotta be some of the most tasteless excuse for "blues" I've ever heard -- STILL a totally self indulgent wank.

Hehehe -- Yngwie talaga -- even funnier the second time around. You could stick that in as a segment in the Spinal Tap movie. Right in between the "these amps go to 11 -- can you hear the sustain" scene and the "pretty chords on the piano" scene. It would fit right in. It would then henceforth be known as the "lemme play you some blues" scene.  :-D

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »
I like this a lot better:  :-D

I think it had already been posted somewhere in philmusic before but it's worth sharing again.  :lol:

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
mode=related&search=

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
there's alot of good blues player.. hehehe.. i don't want to post scott henderson agen hehehe.. :-D

is there such thing called, Blues shred?? :-D

william251082

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »
the argument is:
fast things are good if it's coming from your head/heart not from your fingers, all of those he did there are so motorical, he could still do that while having sex. it would've been better without d backing track too, he didn't play with it anyway. those were actually d lessons learned there, at least i'm open minded enough to learn those lessons and hope some other guitarists too, that's d reason i shared it but different people, different opinion, it really depends on how you look at it.
one more question: do u guys know a malmsteen tune in a major key?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:01:12 AM by william251082 »

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
I like this a lot better:  :-D

I think it had already been posted somewhere in philmusic before but it's worth sharing again.  :lol:

mode=related&search=

The thing with the two videos mentioned above is that they're funny because the guys doing it are being ridiculous to be funny -- tongue-in-cheek and nagpapatawa talaga -- doing parodies of some self-important guitar player.

Yngwie's is 10 times more hysterically funny because he's dead serious. He is, in fact, the parody itself.

In literary terms, the apprporiate term is "irony".  :-D

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »
the argument is:
fast things are good if it's coming from your head/heart not from your fingers, all of those he did there are so motorical, he could do that while having sex. that is actually d lesson learned there, at least i'm open minded enough to learn that lesson and hope some other guitarists too, that's d reason a shared it but different people, different opinion, it really depends on how you look at it.
one more question: do u guys know a malmsteen tunes in major a key?
meron pare, yung orchestral opus nya.. pero nakakasawa yung minor baroque style nya, unless yngwie will do a bebop gypsy album, bagay pa!hehehe :-D

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »
Hahahaha!  But we do have to respect his dedication to his style of playing.  Talagang pinapanindigan nya.  :-D

The sad part for me is that the producers of the video allowed Malmsteen's playing to be presented out of context.  It takes away from his awesome technique and fiery passion in playing the stuff he likes.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »
+1+1.

Gotta give it to the guy. No wishy washy relativistic attitude there. The diagram ALWAYS looks like two people kissing -- never a candlestick.

And at the end of the day, we all wank it.... it some form or another.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

william251082

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 07:07:40 PM »
There’s really so much more to music than putting on a great visual show. When u listen, really listen.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
There’s really so much more to music than putting on a great visual show. When u listen, really listen.
listen.. listen... that's wat ate amy told me... listen to sir dong! :-D