hulika

Author Topic: Dunlop MXR pedals. Worth it?  (Read 9143 times)

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
Dunlop MXR pedals. Worth it?
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
I saw these pedals in some of the guitar shops here in QC and it was tagged at P6,000++. I was like... wtf?!? Parang gusto kong sabihin sa salesman na $79 lang 'yan sa states! Grrr.. but, of course I'm here in Manila and we should also take into consideration of tax and all that but for 6K? Isn't it too much? I've been ''GAS-ing" with these cute little pedals for weeks now. I don't know if I'll be needing an extra Phaser & DIRT box in my rig.

What do you think guys?

wobbly tone!

lil yellow DIRT box! :wink:
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:27:14 AM »
bro go second hand. Si dubista may binebentang boss ph1r which is a good deal Japan pa if your lookin for a phaser. I had a MXR Zack Wylde od and pinamigay ko lang sa pinsan ko. May issue sa footswitch, pumapaltos. I had a dynacomp tri-nade ko na. I had a vintage MXR phase100 and dont miss it at all, it bumps up the high end when engaged.
I guess i dont like MXR. The dyna was pretty good though, solid tone at ma-aasahan 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline .bong.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »
sa JB ba? kung sa JB, hingi ka na lang ng discount, ok naman mga tao sa JB eh..

meron din akong gustong pedal less than $40 lang ang price, pero binebenta dito ng 5k!  :shock:  kaya kinalimutan ko na lang ung pedal na yon... :lol:
.bong.

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
Quote from: pallas

I guess i dont like MXR. The dyna was pretty good though, solid tone at ma-aasahan 8)

Thanks for the reply bro. What's the use of a Dyna Compressor?  I also saw that priced at 6K as well.  How about the MXR Dist ++? It it good? I'm looking for an overdrive kasi for the melodic rythms.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 10:40:32 AM »
evens out the attack and volume or squashes and sustains the signal. You have to try it out with your gear EXTENSIVELY these pedals. They do look cute but you have to get your moneys worth and be happy sa purchase mo 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 10:58:16 AM »
Yes bong, I saw it in JB Music Shop. Nice place actually. They have stufs that AudiopHile doesn't and vice versa. Discount you say... hmmm...  :lol:

@pallas - this GAS is killing me badly. hehe  :twisted:

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 11:04:24 AM »
here is more to feed your GAS :twisted:

[/

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 11:11:33 AM »

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AaaaRRrRrrrRRGgGggGghHHHh!!  The yellow pedal!! not that one !!

hehe!  :twisted:  :shock:

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »

[/

Are you serious!?  :lol: Nakakapanlaway naman YAN! :lol:

Anyway, i've been GASing for an MXR Stereo Chorus. Mukhang ok naman.
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 01:50:18 PM »
anak ng... san namomod yang Dist+ na yan??? gusto ko nyan!!!

hehe mark ganda yang Stereo Chorus... natry ko na yan sa Guitar Center dati pero nagtitipid ako kaya bumili na lang ako ng DigiTech XMC.

anyway, MXR pedals are very good but the prices here are quite high. mas magaan-gaan nang konti sa bulsa pag humingi ka ng discount sa JB Music. kakabili ko lang ng Dyna Comp with a 15% discount sa JB and it's been great so far. Phase 90? panalo din yan as long as bagay sa tugtugan mo. Van Halen afficionado kasi ako so i really had to buy one to emulate EVH's sound. Distortion+ is has more of a booster/fuzz type sound pero di ko trip pag solo lang. may nakuha akong setting na malapit sa tone ni Eric Johnson using a Distortion+ cascaded with a TS808. i hope this helps dude! :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 02:27:54 PM »
HEY GUYS may zwod 2500 lang sa buynsell

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »
Whatta coincidence. I was looking at some of the schems I got for tube preamps...I have one using a 12AX7 but with a plate voltage of only 12 Volts :D . Whew...tama na nga I'm talking greek to many. Just to say...that mod with a tube is very much possible so long as you put it on the very first stage of the pedal. Yun nga lang, you can't operate out of batteries anymore...the filament will take too much juice. Just when you thought it's an April Fools joke :D .

BAMF
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 04:05:54 PM »
I was about to go commercial with this one. It's a clone of the MXR Distortion +. Was darned ready for it, had the PCB's and case design silkscreened. But when I was about to go semi-mass prod, the cases went out of stock. Oh well. Maybe on a better time.

This should retail for less than half what you get the MXR Distortion + for.

Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »
yung disto + ng mxr, TOTOO BA YON? (with tube sa ilalim?)

i have a Micro Amp, galing eBay. kuntento aco. boosts my leads/solos whenever i need it.

next stop: Smart Gate.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline kuyaneo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 07:48:26 PM »
Quote from: sushiboy
yung disto + ng mxr, TOTOO BA YON? (with tube sa ilalim?)

i have a Micro Amp, galing eBay. kuntento aco. boosts my leads/solos whenever i need it.

next stop: Smart Gate.

totoo siya sir. mod siya sa mxr distortion +. ang ginawa nung nag mod ay halos pinalitan na niya ung components para makuha ung gusto niyang sound at saka para sa bass siya

Sir BAMF, wala nga akong makuha nung ginamit mong box sa alexan.. out of stock parati

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 12:09:34 AM »
I'm an MXR/Dunlop fanboi. So far my experiences with MXR have all been good. Pero ang mahal naman ng pasahan sa atin.

Offline Tube

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 12:40:18 AM »
:D same here. I'm planning to buy MXR disto +. Ok pla sir yung dyna comp nila. Close good deal na yung sa JB xe may discount. Pricey nga talaga MXR dito. Well the usual dahilan, xe made in USA compared sa iba.  :? Good simple design and sound naman pro sana hustisya sa presyo..  :P  Hehe

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 01:02:49 AM »
wag kayo mag-alala, quality products ang MXR.. ayos yun! :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Tube

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 01:13:32 AM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
wag kayo mag-alala, quality products ang MXR.. ayos yun! :)

Sulit na ba sir yung disto + na ranging 4.3k to 4.5k yung price? Brand new  :D  M really GASsing for it!  :?  Thanx  8)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »
oo ayos na yun pre.. $80 ata yun sa US ngayon so good deal na rin :)

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 10:29:51 AM »
all i can say: "BUILT LIKE A TANK!"
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline Tube

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 11:08:41 AM »
Quote from: sushiboy
all i can say: "BUILT LIKE A TANK!"

+1  :D

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
i tried the double shot... i didn't like it. i'd take my jackhammer over it anytime anywhere.

the zakk wylde OD is exactly as advertised... a hot rodded SD-1.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
huwaw
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 12:55:04 PM »
Quote from: BAMF
I was about to go commercial with this one. It's a clone of the MXR Distortion +. Was darned ready for it, had the PCB's and case design silkscreened. But when I was about to go semi-mass prod, the cases went out of stock. Oh well. Maybe on a better time.

This should retail for less than half what you get the MXR Distortion + for.

Sir BAMF,

GANDA!!!

GO!!!

Sana ne chance ako makabili ng isa nito...
Kuha ba sir yung tunog ng MXR dist+?
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »
Quote from: fretburner
i tried the double shot... i didn't like it. i'd take my jackhammer over it anytime anywhere.

the zakk wylde OD is exactly as advertised... a hot rodded SD-1.

sir ano feedback nyo sa DoubleShot? planning to get one pero hesitant ako baka waste of money lang.
soylent green is people.