hulika

Author Topic: FOOTWORK TECHNIQUE thread  (Read 58034 times)

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: Which do you prefer Heel-Toe or Power Slide?
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006, 09:32:19 PM »
Off-topic...

Hyper0822 and Agent So, please introduce yourselves at the Pinoydrums Bio Thread sticky.

Hmm... you two will make a great couple.  We're keeping an eye on the both of you.

This goes to everybody...  Please don't waste the message spaces here if you're not going to post something related to the topic, or if you're just gonna post some senseless one-liners. 

Like what I said, I assume that everybody here is mature and civilized.  No more kiddie games here, aight??

Okay, enough intermission... Back to the topic...

I'm more of a slider when it comes to my technique.  It's very helpful especially on quick doubles on the bass drum.

When I'm already playing live, I really don't think too much about the technique that I'm using.  I'm more focus on the music and on the creative aspects.  I think I do some heel-toe motions occasionally.  I'll try to check my foot technique one of these days; or better yet, have a fellow drummer observe my foot technique.  But one thing I'm sure of, I do those slides.

8-)

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2006, 09:34:42 PM »
agent_so, idol ka lang nyan. although nakakainis nga... i saw rin his replies sa iba mong post... hmm, mr anthony dio, what to do??? to me this dude is going overboard...

thanks bro. buti napansin mo rin mga post nito... actually pang 3 na tong alternick nya.. and just doing this just to annoy me... pero sorry siya hindi ako naasar.. kundi, im exposing him.. kung sino talaga siya.. anung klaseng tao siya.. so guys beware.. sayang nabura na ng ibang mods yung mga post nya sa iba nya nick..para at least malaman yung history ng taong ito....

Off-topic...

Hyper0822 and Agent So, please introduce yourselves at the Pinoydrums Bio Thread sticky.

Hmm... you two will make a great couple.  We're keeping an eye on the both of you.

This goes to everybody...  Please don't waste the message spaces here if you're not going to post something related to the topic, or if you're just gonna post some senseless one-liners. 

Like what I said, I assume that everybody here is mature and civilized.  No more kiddie games here, aight??

I'm more of a slider when it comes to my technique.  It's very helpful especially on quick doubles on the bass drum.

When I'm already playing live, I really don't think too much about the technique that I'm using.  I'm more focus on the music and on the creative aspects.  I think I do some heel-toe motions occasionally.  I'll try to check my foot technique one of these days; or better yet, have a fellow drummer observe my foot technique.  But one thing I'm sure of, I do those slides.

8-)

ok sorry sir... ill just ignore this dude..
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2006, 09:58:31 PM »
Off-topic...

Apology accepted, Agent_So.  Yeah, that's the best thing to do...  Ignore.

I want to share this quote to all of you..... 

If somebody is pulling you down, it only means one thing...  You're above them.

Think about it. :wink:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:34:35 PM by drumster »

Offline marko21

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2006, 11:01:10 PM »
meron ba kayong video kung pano yang power slide na yan?

:-D

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2006, 11:21:11 PM »
watch dave weckl's "back to basics"
for the heel-toe technique..try warching Jojo mayer vids. Actually jojo calls this technique as the heel-knee, wanna know why?

Hello Mr Mayer

I recently attended one of your clinics in New Zealand and was totally blown away by your ability.I was also totally amazed with your pedal speed and was woundering if you would be able to describe to me how your foot technique works that gives you so much speed.Does your technique work on all pedal brands and what tension is best? I would be absolutly thrilled with any advice you could send me.
thanks for the inspiring clinic.

Dylan

Hi Dylan,

In regards to your questions about the "reverse stroke", Heel Toe,"push pull" or "watheverthef'#$%k" -Foot technique i would point out the following:
I like light, low mass pedals like the old flexi flyer or the old camco or gretsch floating action pedals ( all of 'em out of manufacturing) .In any case,I use very minimal spring tension on my pedal. The spring is real loose, so the beater almost falls back to me after impact (as opposed to snap back at me). Personally,I preferre longer footboards (tama iron cobra, Sonor phonic, the new Pearl pedal's good too), but you can do the technique on any pedal if executed the right way. I also HATE toe stops and i remove'em if neccessary. They reduce the aera of my foot's action.I need every inch of my footboard.
The basic idea is to generate the first "down"- stroke launched from your heel up position, generated from your knee, not your toes (important!).Followed by a 2nd " up"- stroke, generated by the calf. So your leg goes :
up-down, up-down,(bam-bam, bam-bam..).

It LOOKS's like a heel toe action but really it is kne (heel) -toe. That's the secret !

Experience the best way for you to push yourself. If you get cramps or pains, You obviously push yourself too hard or you did'nt observe the mechanics of your technique carefull enough.Therefore you have to "compensate" for the lack of agility, balance or training in a particular part of your body action, wich will result in "overemployed" muscular action hence cramps. I pay lot's of attention to the way i feel when i play. Dont' squeeze. If you "squeeze" when you practise, you will "squeeze" when you perform. Be patient let it grow naturally...experiment,observe yourself, use your immagination, relax, relax, RELAX, be patient! It took me a long time to cultivate and master this technique, and as im trying to improve it's still a work in progress to this day..
Learning a new technique is like growing a rare tropical plant. It requires sensitivity and all the above more than just hours of mindless shedding...
To conclude : wathever you do with your feet, allways be aware of were your balance and center is. Try to stay balanced and relaxed, it's important to every aspect of your playing and it starts with the way you sit and your pedal work. It's easy to loose center when getting into that kinda' right foot stuff!

Good luck,
Jojo Mayer

www.jojomayer.com
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2006, 12:51:07 AM »
meron ba kayong video kung pano yang power slide na yan?

:-D

bro eto watch mo sa youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjcyOAsvBeQ nandito yung power slide.. i hope this helps..
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »

I want to share this quote to all of you..... 

If somebody is pulling you down, it only means one thing...  You're above them.

Think about it. :wink:

Hehehe, thats right!  :evil:
------------------------------

Sakin dati nung hindi pa ko naka elims, since hindi ko magawang mag heel-toe sa pedal ko dati, slide talaga ako, pero nung nagka eliminator na 'ko, na realize ko mas ok pala mag heel-toe kesa slide kasi yung speed na nagagawa ng pag heel-toe ko hindi kaya tapatan ng speed pag slide. It depends on what pedal Im using.  :-D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:34:59 PM by drumster »

Offline ayoice

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2006, 08:59:11 AM »
power slide... if yo have elims or any pedal with a "non-slip" feature... like the elims have those rubber stops... its better to have those removed for better sliding... and if you wanna see a wizard sliding, go see mike alba do his solos... he uses the power slide at high speeds :-D although i really don't check if im sliding or what when i do doubles... but i did notice my foot goes a lot more "heel-up" during doubles... i hope im making sense here... hahaha!

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
heel toe na talaga ginagawa ko dahil heel down player talaga ako (may sense din ba?  :lol:)
hindi naman pwede mag slide pag heel down diba? napapansin ko sa mga tugtug namin sa school, ginagawa ko na yung heel toe technique..siguro dulot na rin ng stage fright oh kung ano  :lol:
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month

hyper0822

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2006, 10:22:21 AM »
agent_so, idol ka lang nyan. although nakakainis nga... i saw rin his replies sa iba mong post... hmm, mr anthony dio, what to do??? to me this dude is going overboard...

thanks bro. buti napansin mo rin mga post nito... actually pang 3 na tong alternick nya.. and just doing this just to annoy me... pero sorry siya hindi ako naasar.. kundi, im exposing him.. kung sino talaga siya.. anung klaseng tao siya.. so guys beware.. sayang nabura na ng ibang mods yung mga post nya sa iba nya nick..para at least malaman yung history ng taong ito....

Off-topic...

8-)

yan pikon ka kasi

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2006, 10:30:05 AM »
i use sliding technic na naka tip toe.. its easy to play doubles on single ped pag ganun..

Ditto. Plus constant release hehehe.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:33:35 AM by Gep »

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:22 AM »
question? ung pivot style ba same as sliding? i do sliding..mej mahirap nga lng kung puro grooves ang pedal..i usually prefer ped from ludwig and tama...madulas..pag di nmn i put a piece of bond paper sa peds..that does the trick..or play without shoes..socks lng.

dos sentimos! :lol:
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline ortigas

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2006, 10:51:32 AM »
Sliding or pivoting works best for me on kick double strokes.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »

Off-topic...

8-)

yan pikon ka kasi

I'm giving you a warning, Hyper0822.

hyper0822

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2006, 02:44:20 PM »
nakakalito yan

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2006, 06:37:14 PM »
thanks sa mga replies peeps...sana madagdagan pa at least we'll be more aware of other techniques when it comes to bass drum work. Actually marami pa iyan.
kaya lang may mga disadvantages yang mga techniques when it comes on playing the appropriate genre.

some famous drummers who use powerslide:

steve smith, dave weckl, akira jimbo, simon phillips, tommy igoe and so on.

on the other hand, some heel-toe drummers:

dennis chambers, jojo mayer, zoro, bernard purdie, jeff porcaro d. rodey and many more.

ok naman lahat ng techniques, kaya better to practice all of them...hehehe mahirap nga lang.

godbless bros and sis!

Offline manson

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2006, 08:32:10 PM »
I tried developing my heel-toe technique but I find it hard to practice constant heel-toe notes with slow speeds, it seems easier to play them fast. Am I the only one?

i use sliding technic na naka tip toe.. its easy to play doubles on single ped pag ganun..

Ditto. Plus constant release hehehe.

I also tried learning from Steve Smith's DVD, "constant release" I need more practice still though
power in numbers!!!

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2006, 08:38:53 PM »
btw..heel toe rin ba yung ginagawa ni Chris Adler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCAvvUgkNo
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month

Offline omnicloud7

• Veteran Member
how do you do 4 consecutive 16th notes on a bass drum?
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2006, 10:05:06 PM »
helo po sa lahat! may band po kasi akong sinalihan tapos gusto nila tugtugin yung
"sugar, we're going down" nung Fall Out Boy na band.
nung pinakinggan ko, ang ginagawa nung drummer is gumagawa siya ng 4 na consecutive hits sa bass drum. sa alam ko hindi naman naka-double peds yung FOB. i'm only using a gibraltar singlechain singlepedal eh, tapos yun yung tutugtugin namin sa isang party. help po kasi talagang nahihirapan akong gawin itong pattern, may maisusuggest ba kayo na mga techniques? hehe. thanks in advance! noob lang ako pag dating sa drums eh, especially sa bass drum!  :-D

Offline omnicloud7

• Veteran Member
Re: how do you do 4 consecutive 16th notes on a bass drum?
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »
hahaha, sa sori nakalimutan ko ito ilagay :)

para mas madaling maintindihan yung pattern na sinasabi ko, ganito pala siya:

dug-dug-dug-dug-pak, pak-dug-dug-dug-dug-pak.  :-D

i tried yung heel-toe technique eh, pero ang nangyari lang is

dudug-dudug-pak, pak-dudug-dudug-pak.

hehehe, para sakin ang awkward gamitin nung heel-toe dun sa song.

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »

uhmmm... im not a drummer, but i have a drum set here at home (i never practice with it though) ... i have an MP3 of that song... just to help you: ang count ng bass drum sa main verse is one-ee, and a two-ee... or tu-tug -(hi hat)- tu-tug ... hindi sya tug-tug-tug-tug na 16 notes.

post lang ako kasi alang nag rereply... pero hintayin mo talaga yung totoong drummer, hehehe.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:10 PM »
hindi nga siya naka double pedals.
i suggest wag (muna) heel-toe ang gamitin mo kasi medyo matatagalan ma-master yen (pero praktisin mo rin LAGI).
suggestion ko na gawin mo is try mo heel up (wag naman todo heel up, slightly lang) lahat ng bass strokes. mas makokontrol mo yung timing ng bass drum hits.
and as always, practice, practice, practice...
kaya mo yan...

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2006, 12:46:32 AM »
practice slowly, use a metronome
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2006, 03:56:45 AM »
i picked out these youtube videos of FOB sugar we're goin down where you get to see a lot of the drummer:

i hope by gettin a 'visual' of the drummer at it, you'll be able to emulate him more. ako rin kasi i learn faster by just watchin. pmack was right, you dont need dpedals for this, heel up ka lang.

tu tutug tupapak, tu tutug tupapak  <----thats the best i can do in describin it to you, sige listen to the kick and snare lang muna ng intro before the verse... yung mga "tutu-tug tu" for bass (4 strokes), yung "papak" for double snare strokes...wag mo muna i-drums, sing/beatbox the drum pattern to yourself, sabay kayo ng song...game!...tu tutug tupapak, tu tutug tupapak....if you can sing it, you can play it!...next use a drumpad or airdrums mo habang nagbi-beatbox ka with the song...with feelings ha! pwera biro, concert material dapat! be sure to lock the door ha, baka may biglang pumasok!

:mrgreen:

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
dayain mo... bass floor tom combo!!! yan minsan ginagawa ko. heheh
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....