hulika

Author Topic: UPDATE: Let's Play!  (Read 4368 times)

Offline JDennis

UPDATE: Let's Play!
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »
Hello. I am a 47 year old professional graphic artist and a photographer who is into drumming. I am not a professional drummer though but ever since I got  my drum kit, I have been wanting to play music with fellow weekend musicians. So, I guess this is some sort of an invitation to form a group of amateurs/beginners to play on weekends just for fun and relaxation. I am partial to jazz music but also open to blues, light rock and funk. I am not a good drummer just to be clear on that. The plan is to form at least two or even three groups (we can mix and match) of drummers, bassist, guitarist (acoustic and electric) and keyboard players. We meet every weekend on a rented studio and we share the studio rental fee. Those who want to bring food, snacks and drink would be very much welcomed. :) Quezon City area would be ideal but I am still open for suggestions. C'mon guys, let's have some fun. Amateurs only but experts are also welcome provided they are willing to share their skills and talent. :) Let's get the ball rolling by coming up with a list.

1. JDennis - Drums
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:57:43 PM by JDennis »

Offline JDennis

Re: Let's Play!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
Anyone??  :mrgreen:

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
Hey! I'm interested, but we would seriously need a bassist. And a playlist. What songs do you have in mind?

BTW - I play the guitar, amateur level as well. :)

Offline JDennis

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
Hey! I'm interested, but we would seriously need a bassist. And a playlist. What songs do you have in mind?

BTW - I play the guitar, amateur level as well. :)

Cool, we now have a guitar player. We can come up with our playlist once we have formed a group.

1. JDennis - Drums
2. rjtorres - Guitar

Offline JDennis

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »
Welcome Fred!  :-)

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
Puro Guitarist na!!

But Count me in if you're ever in need

I live in Cubao

Offline divebomb

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
Pwede makijoin mga sir? Guitarist pla here. I can play rhythm or lead. And I can play bass if lahat guitarista na.   :-D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:00:04 PM by divebomb »

Offline JDennis

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Ok. I guess we are good to go. Two guitars, bass and drums. We can probably come up with a tune already. Let's set up an initial meet to talk about things like play list and get to know each other. We can use the Pasig studio and also check on the place. I hope we won't be charged too much. :)

Text me guys at 09185530063 and introduce yourselves.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »
This is great! If we're going to meet up already, then might as well let everyone know I play mostly standards, swing, traditional jazz type - not the jazz fusion type of music, hope that's fine.

Maybe we can jam some 12-bar jazz blues for starters, or some common standards. Konti lang bala ko eh, so I really need to have a playlist :)
Or yeah, we can come up with it once we've met already. :)

I'm available this Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon to evening.

JDennis - sent a text message already. :)

Offline fred

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
Well --got no replies to PMs. No additional posts.
Seems this thread is going to the way of many planned jams here.
I guess its no harm and no foul then. Peace to all.

Signing off from this thread.
 :-D
Singapore Tours start at US$ 130 per person
for 3 Days and 2 Nights until Dec. 2013.  Hong-Kong Tours start at US$98 per person. PM me please. =)

Offline JDennis

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »
Sorry folks. Been quite busy lately. Never had the chance to check on the thread. Fred, that is great news. We would love to meet with you. RJ already texted me and we are communicating. Please text me at 09185530063. If the other guys who signed up doesn't show up, maybe we can just do a trio for starter. I have to work this coming saturday..let me know your other available dates.

Dennis

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »
I'm a bassist, and love blues..I also have played drums and Blues leads on guitar Some jazz walking lines I know but if you give me a track I can figure it all outI have a fender stat for blue leads,,,it screams
kalspa

Offline JDennis

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »
I'm a bassist, and love blues..I also have played drums and Blues leads on guitar Some jazz walking lines I know but if you give me a track I can figure it all outI have a fender stat for blue leads,,,it screams

Hi Kalspa55, StratzkiBoy and divebomb. fred, rjtorres and I are communicating already and we have a tentative plan of checking out Fred's studio on Friday. Maybe we can even play already. If you are interested in joining, please contact me at the number posted above.

Cheers.

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
ok sana to kaya lang ang layo. post nyo jams nyo ha, mukhang masaya hehehe.
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
Let me know
kalspa

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »
Came from palawan hence no reply....

How About we post 5 songs we can agree upon to jam so that when we do meet up it wont be an endless noodling session?

Thoughts?

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »
ok post...I usually download a midi from vanbasco and then learn the bass line. then I mute the bass line and practice playing the song, Asawa ko ay kuripot tapos ganon I learn hahaha
kalspa

Offline JDennis

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »
Just waiting for RJ Torres to come back from Singapore. Fred is all ready for us. We can do it Friday evening or Sunday after lunch. My Saturdays are booked for my daughters' figure skating practice. Kalspa, why not start the list. Come up with your 5 songs. I will just play along. I am not good, just to remind you guys so you have to bear with me. :) This will just be a Jam, nothing really serious...but if we can jive, hey, that would be great! :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:04:54 AM by JDennis »

Offline palolo_worm

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 04:24:23 AM »
Jdennis, sent you an email on your posted gmail account.

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
OK 1. Stormy Monday either Gary Moore or Bobby Bland version ok lang. 2. The thrill is gone --BBking.  3. Chicken Shack 4. One Scotch, One Boubon, One beer--many artists 5. Keep your hands to yourself. Jazz--->nice and slow, too close,Joanna (kool and the gang), Youll never find---Lou Rawls...I am not the fanciest bass player in town but I have good timing I know the beats and have an extra sense in music. If you think that you are not good then chances are you really are and are more prone to learning than some of the others that think that they are God's gift for music. The most important thing is that we blend well together. (just my 2 cents worth)
kalspa

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »
Hi guys, I'm ready for this, but only on Sundays according to the schedule posted. :)

I'll try to look up the songs requested, hopefully I can learn them before we start. Please help set date! :)

Offline DanLasher

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Do you need a vocalist?

danny_95@hotmail.com

www.danlasher.com

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
good luck guys. looking forward to see you perform.  :-)
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »
when and where?
kalspa

Offline JDennis

Re: UPDATE: Let's Play!
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
Since this really didn't materialize, I am now updating the thread to a more realistic plan.

We at the Sax Society Philippines (yes, I started playing the Sax as well) started a Tuesday night open jazz jam session at Skarlet's Jazz Kitchen (formerly TEN02 Bar) located at Timog corner Sct. Ybardolaza Sts., QC. It is beside Buddy's restaurant and right across Shell gas station. You can come and jam with us. We welcome all jazz players amateurs and pros from bass, guitar, wind instruments, percussion, etc. Its a free for all jam session. No entrance fee Just bring your instruments and have fun. The Sax Society is headed by the great Tots Tolentino and Mel Villena.

Hope to see you guys there.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:08:51 PM by JDennis »