hulika

Author Topic: what 'bout EMO, EMO-PUNK?  (Read 19400 times)

Offline rockmyworld

• Philmusicus Noobitus
what 'bout EMO, EMO-PUNK?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 03:34:35 PM »
i think emo is one of the trends in music these days.. dunno, i just can't grasp the idea of bringing out a "new" genre..  and like most trends, this one will eventually fade away, i guess.. Ü

Offline Eagle Eye

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 10:43:06 AM »
Quote from: idespisehumanity
I **** hate emo...

Emo kids, or 'fags', as they're more commonly known, spend their youth [or more specifically ages 15-20] whining about ex girlfriends/boyfriends, and about how much life sucks. They dress like gay punks. They get dumped then they go and sit in a dark room without a light bulb and they sit and cry and write songs about it. They use stupid language, like "that is teh **** sex" and so on. They say they don't care what people think about them, yet they spend **** tons of money and time on hairstyling and clothes. They are spoilt little cunts, who, more often than not [but not always] are only-children, who then get all of their parents attention and a hell of a lot of money, so they can then carry complaining about how everyone hates them and they'd be better off dead, and they're so unloved, and "oh, I'm gonna go kill myself now" etc...
That is emo (a little stereotypical.. but **** it), the most superficial selfish bunch of cock-riders ever to grace this planet.

EMO EMO EMO EMO EMO EMO EMO!!!
I heard that they changed the name to heartcore.
underneath the storm, an eagle reborn

Offline idespisehumanity

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 08:13:18 AM »
Quote from: Eagle Eye

what the f_ck? really? ahaha t_ngina! they're really making a fool of themselves.. geez.
"Yeah, I play guitar and some bass"- Me
"Really? I love a guy with FAST fingers"- one of my chick friends

Offline Eagle Eye

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2005, 08:18:31 AM »
Well, yeah. Alternative Press (www.altpress.org) said so. They called Brand New "heartcore."

I just wish AFI was not boxed in that category, that was so [strawberry] stupid.
underneath the storm, an eagle reborn

Offline vinCe-uv7bk

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005, 01:30:29 PM »
i can sum it up in only 2 words. [strawberry] EMO enjoy :mrgreen:

Offline baby_poly

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 10:04:15 PM »

Heartcore? Dapat "Elmo" na lang... para pati sa mga bata sikat sila.
I'm living on the edge of a broken dream.

Offline idespisehumanity

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2005, 12:41:36 PM »
heart is red and elmo is red... it adds up! ang galing!!

(dont mind me tonight... high)

Offline humbucker7th

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 02:03:46 PM »
heartcore my f#ck!n a$$.. they just made it worse..  hehehe,,
you rock me,, i rock you,,

Offline fingerbleed

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2005, 03:52:19 PM »
let's say emo bands suck. but not all......
I play til' my fingers bleed

Offline idespisehumanity

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 11:22:11 AM »
I have a song for this situation...

download them!!!!:

F*ck emo by cheap sex
emo sucks/sux by anti flag

those bands are a punk rock band, and punk rockers DESPISES emo.. well, only the real ones atleast.. some people like emo and punk, but that's their case.

Offline kaliwete

• Philmusicus Noobitus
harsh...
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »
bago pala ako dito, first post! OPM forever!

yung sa emo/heartcore (bwisit yang pangalan ng genre, ang pangit), nakakapikon nga rin minsan, kasi parang lahat ng tao iniisip agad yung stereotypical na iyak-iyak, "chickrock". pero hindi naman lahat ganun. yung maganda kasi sa "emo", at kaya bakit emo ang tawag ay kasi when you listen to the songs, nadadala ka ng emotion. hindi siya parang heavy metal na mapapa-headbang ka, or yung parang mala sarah-geronimo na maapaiyak ka, pero pag pakikinggan mo, makaka-relate ka. hindi necessarily sigaw sigaw, or matinis na boses. medyo naging mainstream kasi siya ngayon, kaya hindi maiiwasan na maraming aayaw.  pero sa totoo lang kanya-kanyang taste lang yan. kahit gaano kapangit ang isang kanta, at least isang person sa buong mundo magugustuhan parin ito.

Offline eLScorcho

• Philmusicus Noobitus
on EMO and some on acquired foreign accent
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2005, 04:56:22 PM »
actually i didn't really know na EMO pala tawag dun sa ganong tugtugan until only recently, when a friend of mine had this prduction that featured one EMO band.

thing is, it was in a semi-residencial area. ok lang sana. they do production there all the time, alternative/accousitc shows, with the amps tuned down to "monitor" level. when this one EMO act did their set, tinodo lahat! amps, guitars, pati hampas sa drums.

the produciton people told them in between songs to tone down a bit, but they wouldn't listen. the only reason the prod people didn't turn off their power was because they (the prod people) didn't want to be rude. the EMO act finished their set, and alam nyo nangyari? the home owners from the place filed a complaint, and hindi na nagpapatugtog dun sa venue on weekend nights from that point on. that time lang nangyari yon, and it was just because of that one group of noisy, inconsiderate, pasaway EMO kids.

my friends from the prod were really upset about it. to think that they've been doing shows on that venue for quite a long time and wala namang naiingayan. and to think that they did that band a favor by giving them a chance to perform, then yun pa ang igaganti.

that is not to generalize or anything, i just shared that with you, kasi that was the time when i learned na EMO pala ang tawag sa brand na yon. it didn't make sense to me pa nga at first, eh. EMO? as in EMOtion? it didn't make sense to me, coz granted there's actual musical value in their brand of music, that there's really creativty involved there, the one thing na hindi ko makita don is emotion. ewan ko ha.

i've listened to a few rock music in my twenty something years of life, and kahit papano naman i know how to recognize emotion in a song. and i'm sure most of you guys do, too. remember listening to nirvana for the first time? kahit di mo naiintindihan yung lyrics, alam mo that emotion is there, and its genuine. hindi pilit.

which is what depresses me a bit about EMO. parang it's a regression. sana kung hindi na tayo dumaan sa grunge, post-grunge, and 90's alternative in general... and for that matter, sana kung wala yung mga classic rock pioneers na mapag-re-referan. but we have. maybe it's just my perception, pero para kasing naging immature.

then again, if you'll look at the age of kids getting into emo, bands and fans alike, mga teens pa lang sila. so i don't think we emo critics should be too harsh on them. these kids are just starting, they don't know any better yet. these emo bands most likely are just the first bands they've ever listened to, or have been in. let's give them a few more years, maybe their tastes will improve. as they say, kanya-kanya lang yan ng preference.

hopefully, this emo-phase doesn't stay for long.

p.s. oh, and an add-on on this:

Quote from: af_villaruel

kaya lang ang problema pag naggayahan na sila-sila mismo. un ung badtrip. for example, hindi naman manipis ung boses mo at hindi ka naman amerikano para mag-"slang" tapos pinipilit mo.. ah.. ibang usapan na yon. POSING na yun.

i know OnL also suddenly acquires british accent on some songs.  :p

Offline C-D-F

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2005, 06:33:11 PM »
let's admit it. music industry found new souls to sell. this time, they have their eyes on the EMO scene. the true essence of emo is probably not that bad. it is these annoying mass-produced and media hyped money makers that ruined everything. or should i say, yung "talent scouts" nung record companies? and to make it worse, they spawned these kids who got their hands on musical instruments  but never really got a hold of what music really is about. but i guess we'll just have to ride it out  for a couple more years.  :wink:

Quote from: eLScorcho
remember listening to nirvana for the first time? kahit di mo naiintindihan yung lyrics, alam mo that emotion is there, and its genuine. hindi pilit.

uplugged in new york? damn!!! hindi na siguro mawawala sakin yun :P siguro nga sa lahat ng genre may kaunting banda na tunay na nag rerepresent. nung time na sumikat ang Nirvana, lahat ng rival ng David-Geffen nataranta sa pag hhire ng kung sino sino para lang may pambala sila to the point na naging Grunge-Capital ang Seattle. kaya yun... madami ding "latak" na grunge band dati. pero ilan lang ba yung talagang lumutang? as far as i can remember, Nirvana lang talaga at Pearl Jam.

Offline whirpool

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:03 AM »
haha...i link kaya natin tong mga threads para one whole big thread sya..at ng magkita kita lahat ng emo defenders and how they

S U C K !

so eto pa lang nababasa ko...

bokalista -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=54039#54039

six cycle thread -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5078&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

EMO -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5352&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Emil thread -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=54038#54038

ang saya nito haha
ang maasar... talo !

Offline Triggerfinger

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2005, 04:35:55 AM »
EMO? Fad lang yan! lilipas din yan,mawawala at makakalimutan! unlike the classic stuff na hindi kumukupas at laging hinahanap-hanap.

Offline MR.WEDNESDAY

• Netizen Level
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2005, 08:10:51 PM »
Ito na ang kasagutan.Ang history ng emo ay nagsimula nung after Minor threat broke up in late 1983,Minor Threat's singer, Ian MacKaye's, sings for a band called Embrace (compare the band name to earlier DC bands Minor Threat, Void, and State Of Alert) whose lyrics are emotional and deeply self-questioning, but still clear and unambiguous. Musically, the group (formed mostly of ex-Faith members) writes midtempo, somewhat jangly music with a lot of pop guitar hooks. MacKaye's vocals retain his trademark bold enunciation, with only occasional sparks of emotive delivery.

These bands' sound eventually becomes known as the classic "D.C. sound." Some of it is derisively labeled "emo," as shorthand for "emotional." One account has this term first appearing in a Flipside interview with Ian MacKaye. Shortly thereafter DC bands aquire the tag "emo-core." HIndi nanggaling ang emo sa punk kung hindi sa hard core..Ang first form ng Emo ay "emo core" and then nag nagkaroon ng just "Emo" then "emo punk" then "screemo".Hindi sya trend matagal na sya Presidente pa si marcos may emo na..Pero may malaking gap between some emo's and punks.kasi wala naman talaga silang pinaglalaban and kadalasan medyo sexist ang mga lyrics nila laging mga females ang masama.Second madami silang ginaya sa element ng punk and halos ginagamit nila ang mismong scene ng punk para makalikom ng fan base.

Offline whirpool

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: on EMO and some on acquired foreign accent
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2005, 06:48:01 AM »
Quote from: eLScorcho

then again, if you'll look at the age of kids getting into emo, bands and fans alike, mga teens pa lang sila. so i don't think we emo critics should be too harsh on them. these kids are just starting, they don't know any better yet. these emo bands most likely are just the first bands they've ever listened to, or have been in. let's give them a few more years, maybe their tastes will improve. as they say, kanya-kanya lang yan ng preference.

I don't think some are kids....check this thread

ang defender nyan ay isang 35-y/o na!...matandang bobong [pichapie]!  :twisted:
ang maasar... talo !

Offline C-D-F

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2005, 08:31:59 AM »
wow, thanks for that info Mr. Wednesday. *enlightened* ahhh... ang tunay na essence ng emo... lost in time and space.... corrupted by money and media... as everything is. how sad  :(

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005, 06:54:48 AM »
Quote from: whirpool
haha...i link kaya natin tong mga threads para one whole big thread sya..at ng magkita kita lahat ng emo defenders and how they

S U C K !

so eto pa lang nababasa ko...

six cycle thread -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5078&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

EMO -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5352&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Emil thread -> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=54038#54038

ang saya nito haha

Bro ngayun ko nga lang narinig yang EMO na yan eh..............ang sinasabi ko lang sa thread ko at sa mga naka-jam ko eh........kung gumawa ka ng song eh katulad ng isang artist, painter, actor, etc. na dapat nakikita yung EMOTIONS sa mga song.....or any art that you make........even on the instruments that you play..........mafe-feel ng audience mo yun o kahit sinong tao na makinig sa'yo.............Kaya nga may mga artist na sinasabi na "maganda mag compose, mag pinta, umarte, kumanta kapag nasa MOOD ka" .......Yung mood na hinahanap nila eh yun yung pagiging emotional..........kaya nga dapat pag nag-compose ka eh personal experience mo para emotionaly attach ka.....

Botton line hindi ako EMO-GENRE defenders............hindi ibig sabihin I am talking about emotions eh EMO-PUNK na ako o EMO-HARDCORE............I would rather stand neutral.............wala sa genre yan..........BEATLES are known for their un-conditional type of sound because they don't care about genre's............

Dito sa marikina maraming HARDCORE & PUNKS, isa na ako noon dun......kaya yung sinasabi nilang punks daw yun SIMPLE PLAN..........Dun nagagalit ang mga PUNKS........kasi katulad din sila ng mga EMO noon na sumasamantala sa kasikatan ng PUNKS..........Yun din ang dahilan kung bakit nababansagang EMO ang mga nasasbing banda --> Blink 182, Greenday, Eraserheads, Sugar free etc..........

Nililinaw ko lang bro............kita-kits tayo sa jam......peace lng po ako dito  :wink:

Offline Revenge of The Syph

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2005, 06:23:31 AM »
Quote from: idespisehumanity
I f*ckin hate emo...

Emo kids, or 'fags', as they're more commonly known, spend their youth [or more specifically ages 15-20] whining about ex girlfriends/boyfriends, and about how much life sucks. They dress like gay punks. They get dumped then they go and sit in a dark room without a light bulb and they sit and cry and write songs about it. They use stupid language, like "that is teh f*cking sex" and so on. They say they don't care what people think about them, yet they spend f*cking tons of money and time on hairstyling and clothes. They are spoilt little cunts, who, more often than not [but not always] are only-children, who then get all of their parents attention and a hell of a lot of money, so they can then carry complaining about how everyone hates them and they'd be better off dead, and they're so unloved, and "oh, I'm gonna go kill myself now" etc...
That is emo (a little stereotypical.. but, f*ck it), the most superficial selfish bunch of cock-riders ever to grace this planet.

isa to sa pinaka emo na reaction na nakita ko.

/join www.xanga.com

Offline Revenge of The Syph

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2005, 06:27:15 AM »
sa akin, malaki similarities ng nu-metal sa emo, maagang namatay although hanggang ngayon uso pa din emo, pero.. patay na yung alternative 90's rock feel na ang tunay tunog, ngayon super cheesy na nilalagyan ng sigaw, rip off sa maiden, pop punk inspired un-original crap, pinaka pangit na nabuong banda ay hawthorne heights.

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2005, 08:51:52 AM »
EMO is POP trying to be PUNK, but just ends up as GARBAGE, just like POP.

EMO is MTV PUNK, but GARBAGE all the same.

EMO is NOT THE NEW GRUNGE.

EMO is just a lot of corporate tripe. Ear candy for a jaded generation.

plain and simple.
soylent green is people.

Offline free

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2005, 02:39:41 PM »
Quote from: vinCe-uv7bk
Quote from: jm
Quote from: Boy Sets Fire
Quote from: vinCe-uv7bk
as far as i know EMO = pOSsSSsSSerS  :?  :lol:

hey anyone is free to express their opinion  :wink:

Yeah I agree with the latter statement. But back it up with a reason. What makes you say that they're posers?

hey guys music got different styles...
datz y 'tis called music ayt???? :twisted:

cuz they dress up like old skul rockers they have EMO lyrics they pose as if they work rock bands they have all these tats and all that syet they have no talent at all i bet anyone can play what they play.... and they get big money...

oh well i guess its what the people want anyway music has become a market more like bussiness thing where corporates make bands like boi bands EMO bands to make money.

i guess its the new thrend. but to tell you the truth it just irritates the living hell out of me...... dunno i gues its their trying hard act.... i just hate it period...  :lol:

emo is a sub-genre of punk. which is why it is sometimes referred to as emo-punk. punk is 90% attitude and 10% skill. everyone who knows his punk ABC's know that. how did the punk culture start? the youth at the time just hated all the glam and all the shredding guitar solos. they were trying to stay away from what was then the mainstream. punk is not about the complexity of the song. heck, the simpler the better. the ramones hates guitar solos, which is why they just play standard riffs and broken down solos. this is probably why the masses have been able to accept punk. you no longer have to be a guitar god to be in a band. any joe-schmoe who knows his bar chords could be in a band and write what they feel.

agentx44: i don't think EMO wants to be the new grunge. i mean, who the hell would want to be the new grunge? grunge sucks. ooh i'm so getting flamed for this, but nirvana? remember them? yeah, i'd hate to break the news to you, but they suck too. i don't think there is anything wrong with pop. it's difficult to write a good pop song. keep in mind that the beatles is pop.

the similarities between NU-metal and EMO? perhaps the only thing they have in common would be that they are both sub-genres of a bigger thing. the purists are not ready to accept them. for that they would always be mistaken for someone who is a "fag" or a "poser". perhaps EMO will die the same death that nu-metal got a few years ago, but then again, which genre of music truly did last the test of time? nothing but POP. even classical has bowed down to pop.

hmmn..will have to return to this thread later on..work awaits.
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it". - Edith Sitwell

Offline nevermindemily

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2006, 10:43:54 PM »
the problem with emo is that half the people who claim to listen to emo don't know what theyre talking about. ang alam lang nilang "emo" is dashboard confessional, my chemical romance, the used. kung ano yung mga pinapalabas ng MTV. for anyone interested, heres a site that could explains what emo is.

http://www.fourfa.com/index.html
still insane...

Offline emo_bastard

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2006, 12:41:55 PM »
Quote from: agentx44
EMO is POP trying to be PUNK, but just ends up as GARBAGE, just like POP.

EMO is MTV PUNK, but GARBAGE all the same.

EMO is NOT THE NEW GRUNGE.

EMO is just a lot of corporate tripe. Ear candy for a jaded generation.

plain and simple.

no they arent POP. they're just intertwined coz MTV is so dumb. Thanks for branding my chemical romance as emo and their song got into the mainstream so people are like "Oh my god. I like this song so im emo" and personally, i think there's a hair difference between grunge and emo. EMO isnt so bad. It's just the POSERS who made it look like that.