hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 310921 times)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
I would so much to learn the following:

* proper equalization settings techniques for certain instruments (e.g. electric guitar, bass, drums, etc) while mixing/mastering
* panning/stereo separation for instruments on mixing/mastering
* sound compression, limiter, normalization how to techniques

buy charles dye's dvd - Mix It Like A Record

Offline renkai0218

« Reply #701 on: August 28, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
I am currently using Protools SE. Are there any softwares out there that you can recommend that are easy to use? Probably, yung "free" din.  :eek:

I have a Zoom G9.2tt as well. Mas maganda sana yung pwede ko din siya incorporate dun sa software na yun?

Please help.  :oops:
Succesful transactions with: brown, jem, followtheReaper, piekey, mzik_man, exia, sundayhigh, Sir Alex, peter_alistair,GAP,doc_12,josephrave,akosijm,diancarlo,caloy the man,Eraseyourhead,relyeboy,gitaristadaw,nickson

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
I am currently using Protools SE. Are there any softwares out there that you can recommend that are easy to use? Probably, yung "free" din.  :eek:

I have a Zoom G9.2tt as well. Mas maganda sana yung pwede ko din siya incorporate dun sa software na yun?

Please help.  :oops:

Reaper!

www.reaper.fm/download

Offline renkai0218

« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »
Reaper!

www.reaper.fm/download

Uy thank you Sir Skin! Downloading now. Does this Reaper eats a lot of your pc resources compared to Protools? :) I can test naman, I just want to know your opinion. By the way Im using an i5 processor. 16gb na ram and 1TB na hard drive.

Can I use incorporate my Zoom dito sa reaper? I mean can I just directly record from my Zoom? Para I can still use yung isang input from my interface?

Succesful transactions with: brown, jem, followtheReaper, piekey, mzik_man, exia, sundayhigh, Sir Alex, peter_alistair,GAP,doc_12,josephrave,akosijm,diancarlo,caloy the man,Eraseyourhead,relyeboy,gitaristadaw,nickson

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
Uy thank you Sir Skin! Downloading now. Does this Reaper eats a lot of your pc resources compared to Protools? :) I can test naman, I just want to know your opinion. By the way Im using an i5 processor. 16gb na ram and 1TB na hard drive.

Can I use incorporate my Zoom dito sa reaper? I mean can I just directly record from my Zoom? Para I can still use yung isang input from my interface?

It's not CPU intensive.  Your computer can handle it for sure.

You can use your Zoom as your audio interface on Reaper.

Offline renkai0218

« Reply #705 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »
It's not CPU intensive.  Your computer can handle it for sure.

You can use your Zoom as your audio interface on Reaper.

That's good to know Sir Skin. Sige I will study this app then will let you know.

Maraming salamat!  :mrgreen:

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »
I'm planning to record my band's songs with the most minimal setup. (We record live with an ipad haha)

So far we have a laptop and the instruments.
Wala kaming magandang amplifier so i'll depend on amp sim softwares.
I will be using Reaper.

For recording the guitars/bass:
Guitar/Bass -> Stompbox -> AUDIO INTERFACE -> Amp simulator -> Reaper -> Monitoring? (Headphones or yung Speakers?)

For recording the vocals and drums:
Drums/Vocals -> Mic -> AUDIO INTERFACE -> Reaper -> Monitoring (Headphones or yung Speakers?)

So ang bibilhin ko is mic and audio interface lang muna. I'll start from there. How about yung monitoring? Ok lang kung headphones lang muna?
Makakaproduce ba to ng much better output than our live recording practice?

Thanks.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #707 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
I'm planning to record my band's songs with the most minimal setup. (We record live with an ipad haha)

So far we have a laptop and the instruments.
Wala kaming magandang amplifier so i'll depend on amp sim softwares.
I will be using Reaper.

For recording the guitars/bass:
Guitar/Bass -> Stompbox -> AUDIO INTERFACE -> Amp simulator -> Reaper -> Monitoring? (Headphones or yung Speakers?)

For recording the vocals and drums:
Drums/Vocals -> Mic -> AUDIO INTERFACE -> Reaper -> Monitoring (Headphones or yung Speakers?)

So ang bibilhin ko is mic and audio interface lang muna. I'll start from there. How about yung monitoring? Ok lang kung headphones lang muna?
Makakaproduce ba to ng much better output than our live recording practice?

Thanks.

Guitars - Audio Interface

Para tipid, kumuha ka ng Zoom H1.  Check mo sa Youtube mga recordings ng Zoom H1 and drums.  Unless bibili ka ng 8 track na audio interface.

You'll produce better recording compared to live practices.  You'd produce better recordings kung marunong kayo mag program ng drums using midi so no need to record the drum parts.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »

Samson Studio GT active studio monitors with USB audio interface

http://www.audiophile.ph/index.php/contact  :wink:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #709 on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:34 PM »
Sir and ma'am, especially drummers, I have a few questions here that I wish to know the answers. Kindly help me please. Thanks

1. What is a Reverb and its use?
2. What is a Compressor and its use?
3. Are numbers 1 and 2 really a must have?
4. Is this possible? I'll connect the mics to the mixer (mics are placed accordingly on the drums), and also an mp3 to the mixer for the play along, then from the mixer's output I'll connect it to the video recorder's input. Will it work? No need for editing and syncing of vid and sound on the laptop?
5. What's an Interface and its use?

Thanks
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline tobyhuyssen

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #710 on: September 19, 2013, 01:49:09 PM »
For great training in recording, check this out:

We are pleased to inform you that as of August 2013 TrueSound Recording Studio has become a certified Avid Pro Tools training partner.  TrueSound is the first in the certified training partner in the Philippines and one of only a few in Southeast Asia.   We believe it is time for new progress in the recording industry, so we have made the investment to develop skill and talent for everyone in the music community. 

We want to invite you to be a part of this new movement of quality and excellence.  We now offer two classes, Pro Tools 101 and Pro Tools 110, which are requirements to become a Pro Tools certified user.   Each class lasts for 3 days.  We have schedule classes we would like to invite you to be a part of:

Pro Tools 101 – November 3-5
Pro Tools 110 – November 6-8
Pro Tools 101 – January 3-5
Pro Tools 110 – January 6-8

We are currently running a promo for these classes where it is discounted from 65,000php  (for both Pro Tools 101 and 110) and is now for only 58,000php per person.  We are also flexible to work within your schedule if you have a minimum of 4 students for each class.

For more information about TrueSound and how we can help you develop your skills and become a Pro Tools certified user please check out our website: www.truesoundlive.com or email tobyhuyssen@truesoundlive.com or call +63 918 349 9856

Thank you for being a person who stands for excellence in the music community.

Sincerely,

Toby Huyssen
CEO / Co-Founder

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #711 on: September 21, 2013, 07:11:30 AM »

I think with your current PC set up you can already handle even 50 tracks with plenty of vst plugins running. I am mixing songs on a dualcore 8gb ram and 750g hard disk.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #712 on: September 21, 2013, 07:24:37 AM »
Here is a trick we did given  a limited resources in recording drums.

The place had a good sounding studio but they only have a two input interface and a zoom H4n.

We placed a mic on the snare (SM57) and a mic on the Kick (it was a really cheap mic). Then we fed it to the micpres of the interface. Balanced its volumes. Then we positioned the Zoom overhead.  Asked the drummer to click his stick once or twice for sync purpose before he play through the song. He was guided by a pre recorded practice of the song through his celphone via earphone. It was just as if the drummer was practicing the song alone.

After a good take, we imported the stereo track from the overhead, split it into two separate tracks. Now we have 4 tracks of drums. Do all the gatings, compression, etc. via plugns, You can send a bus from all 4 tracks to create ambience just put in a reverb on the bus track and adjust the volume. If you want a clearer hihats and crash you can clone an overhead track (that one from your zoom H4N) and eq them to high pass. Then you can adjust the volume of the highs.

Basically these are just what is needed for drum tracking if you have limited resources. But you will be surprised by the quality of drum tracks you will produce here.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #713 on: September 21, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »
just keep in mind that portable recorders like the zoom h1 , h4n and others are very sensitive. do not record with them if you dont have a reasonably quite room isolated from road noise. dont record while a fan is on or near the aircon. buy the cat fur to minimize wind noise.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #714 on: October 04, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
mga sir, sa vocal track ano basic or kumbaga madalas gamiting "plugins/effects" nilalagay niyo? hindi yung tunog robot hehe yung para lang hindi siya dry? nilalagyan ko reverb lang, may iba pa ba?
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #715 on: October 04, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
mga sir, sa vocal track ano basic or kumbaga madalas gamiting "plugins/effects" nilalagay niyo? hindi yung tunog robot hehe yung para lang hindi siya dry? nilalagyan ko reverb lang, may iba pa ba?

Usually compression, eq, reverb.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #716 on: October 04, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
Usually compression, eq, reverb.
Ok thanks sir..
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline martsss

« Reply #717 on: October 07, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
Hi mga sir, pano po ba dapat gawin para malakas ung audio ng guitara pero hindi sya sabog? kinukumpara ko kase un mga mix ko sa iba. halimbawa ung speaker volume ko is at around 12oclock. ung tunog ng mga pro mixes. oo malakas pero malinis parin. pero ung mix ko asa 10oclock palang ung speaker volume ko sabog na. wasak ung tunog tas parang grabe ung vibrate ng table bat po ba ganun un? sana po matulungan niyo ako salamat  :-P
praktis praktis hanggang maging matulis
wag kang aayaw think pasitib

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #718 on: October 11, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »
We all know that white light is made up of 7 colors of the rainbow. In essence, when all colors are at the same intensity, they all combine to form white light. How do you make it appear bluish? Reduce all other colors except, blue. Approach mixing using this same concept.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline martsss

« Reply #719 on: October 11, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
volume control po b yan or sa EQ? may nabasa po ako tungkol sa Spectrum analyzer nagamit po ba kayo nun pag nag EEQ? pra sa mga parehas at naglalabang frequency?
praktis praktis hanggang maging matulis
wag kang aayaw think pasitib

Offline prodigi

« Reply #720 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
Baka sobra sa lows... try mo gamitan ng hi-pass fillter (low cut) per channel mga 30Hz depende sa tracks... Iwasan mo mag-clip yung master bawasan mo muna levels ng individual tracks. Tapos hatakin mo na lang yung master level sa maximizer or mastering plugin.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:18:41 AM by prodigi »

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #721 on: October 17, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Hi! I have a four track MTR, tascam dp-004. I can record my guitar via the record out of my microcube. I've done research and it turned out that the record out of the micro cube has COSM speaker simulation. Oks naman siya, pero I'm not that quite satisfied. Ano kayang pwede ko magamit with better amp/cab simulation? Like a pocket pod or pandora mini pwede ba yun? Anong ibang devices ang kagaya nila?

A soultion without using computers sana. I was using Sonar with Amplitube plugins pero I'm just trying MTR. No problems naman ako sa ibang aspects, cab simulation lang talaga. Balak ko sana yung Boss BR-80 na multitrack kaso parang ang hirap gamitin.

Thanks!

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #722 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »
We all know that white light is made up of 7 colors of the rainbow. In essence, when all colors are at the same intensity, they all combine to form white light. How do you make it appear bluish? Reduce all other colors except, blue. Approach mixing using this same concept.
good analogy

Offline bulog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #723 on: November 22, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
I have a Samson USB mic, and problem ko is sobrang bilis nyang mag clip (peak) pag kumakanta ako, malakas po kasi voice ko.

Im using Audacity sa pag record ng vocals, naka set yung mic input to to 1 lang (e.g. vol 1-10), pag 2 to 4 soft voice ok sya, pag medyo mataas na yung tone nung kanta, mag peak/clip na yung mic & red na sa spectrum ng Audacity.

Di po kaya mabawasan yung quality kapag 1 lang po yung volume nung input ng usb mic ko.

What I do is put some compression sa voice track ko para medyo lumebel sa instruments.

Isang problem ko pa po is the inconsistency of the levels nung voice ko, humihina at lumalakas, di ko mapantay na same level yung voice ko from start to finish.

thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #724 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
I have a Samson USB mic, and problem ko is sobrang bilis nyang mag clip (peak) pag kumakanta ako, malakas po kasi voice ko.

Move farther.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire