hulika

Author Topic: Your Own Franken-guitar  (Read 2491 times)

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
Your Own Franken-guitar
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
the idea of buying a cheap strat then modding and upgrading it to death has been lurking in my head for a few months now. Sino po dito may kanya-kanyang version ng franken-strat (or any guitar shape)? post naman kayo ng stories, details, pictures or links to videos...para makakuha ng idea :)
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your Own Franken-guitar
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
A cheap strat that is modded and upgraded will still feel like a cheap strat, though it may sound better. If you really want to go that route, try looking for an MIJ body and neck at least. However, don't expect to recover your investment if you decide to sell it later. I believe most buyer will hesitate to pay big bucks for a franken guitar. You would be better selling the individual parts instead.

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:34 PM »
A cheap strat that is modded and upgraded will still feel like a cheap strat, though it may sound better. If you really want to go that route, try looking for an MIJ body and neck at least. However, don't expect to recover your investment if you decide to sell it later. I believe most buyer will hesitate to pay big bucks for a franken guitar. You would be better selling the individual parts instead.

+1. get a strat that is atleast decent in terms of construction and playability, ang idea kasi e, maguupgrade ka ng hardware diba. so the body and neck should be
decent to begin with.

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »

Eto po yung akin, yung body galing sa X-Trek na guitar tapos yung neck galing sa JS30RR na jackson
             Yung pups GFS Power Rails

Shot na!!!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »

Eto po yung akin, yung body galing sa X-Trek na guitar tapos yung neck galing sa JS30RR na jackson
             Yung pups GFS Power Rails

NOW WE'RE TALKING! NICE GUITAR SIR! did you have trouble with the fit of the neck sa neck pocket nung body?

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »

thanks sa comment sir but selling a guitar is out of my mind whenever i'm planning to get one. I buy to play and enjoy....not to invest.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »
+1. get a strat that is atleast decent in terms of construction and playability, ang idea kasi e, maguupgrade ka ng hardware diba. so the body and neck should be
decent to begin with.

yeah...i'm thinking of getting a squire bullet or hunt down Japanese surplus shops. my goal is to come up with a decent player guitar...and learn how to do most of the setups.

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
hmm wala po ata. kasi si mang max ang nagkabit. ang mahirap lang siguro kasi ung neck galing sa non floyded na guitar
Shot na!!!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
yeah...i'm thinking of getting a squire bullet or hunt down Japanese surplus shops. my goal is to come up with a decent player guitar...and learn how to do most of the setups.

Exactly what I did with my strat.

Got the guitar for cheap (neck and body only) at a local japanses surplus shop. Upgrade and parts will cost roughly 10 times the price I paid for the guitar. Was it worth it? If you have cash to burn, plus the fun factor, then yes!  :-)

New pickup, new pickguard, new electronics, newley refretted, new nut, refinished neck, new grovers, schaller locks, new SS saddles and an old bridge, etc... it's a beater and i love it!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Exactly what I did with my strat.

Got the guitar for cheap (neck and body only) at a local japanses surplus shop. Upgrade and parts will cost roughly 10 times the price I paid for the guitar. Was it worth it? If you have cash to burn, plus the fun factor, then yes!  :-)

New pickup, new pickguard, new electronics, newley refretted, new nut, refinished neck, new grovers, schaller locks, new SS saddles and an old bridge, etc... it's a beater and i love it!

EMG bridge humbucker?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »
EMG bridge humbucker?

Nope, on the V, it's an EMG 81/85 set.. on the strat, it's just some covered high output HB which sounds nice.. :)

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
nice...medyo ganyan din gusto kong gawin na cheap-super-strat project. pang-bahay-beater guitar. although I wanna go all the way with a Floyd rose hehe.

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »

my main gigging guitar since 2009. I named it Frankie actually.

bought it in 2008 from the classifieds for dirt cheap. spent a butt load on upgrades which amounted to about a brand new US highway 1 strat. I upgraded it to a point wherein the body was the only thing left from how it was in 2008.

loved it and abused it on and off the stage. took it apart only recently since I felt I had too many guitars to maintain and I wanted to experiment with mixing up parts with another treasured guitar. It was great fun putting it together and modding the hell out of it until I found nothing more to upgrade.

Offline opencoke

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Before I saved up for a nice guitar, i used to modify my fernando strat a lot.

i started from this:

then:

to this:(well this is the only latest pic that I can found online I already installed a black grover tuners)
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 10:43:20 PM »
Nice Guitars, Sana magka budget din ako para mapaganda ko yung akin .
Shot na!!!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
sarap sana kung available warmoth parts locally :/ gaganda ng diy-superstrats nyo mga sir!