hulika

Author Topic: A simple home recording studio  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Zeignn

A simple home recording studio
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:14:15 AM »
Hello po. Hihingi lang po sana ako ng payo sa pagbuo ng recording studio dito sa room ko. Ang budget ko below $500 lang siguro muna to start off. Ano po bang mga needs? Salamat po. Ang balak ko irecord is instrumentals, mostly fingerstyles at minsan mga song covers na din. :) Salamat po!

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: A simple home recording studio
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:47:16 AM »
I think ok na ang USB Audio Interface + Condenser microphone para sa needs mo. Check mo yung Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4, balita ko maganda daw yan audio interface na yan then maganda din yung Audio Technica AT2020 condenser microphone :)
The blues don't change.

Offline Zeignn

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
I think ok na ang USB Audio Interface + Condenser microphone para sa needs mo. Check mo yung Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4, balita ko maganda daw yan audio interface na yan then maganda din yung Audio Technica AT2020 condenser microphone :)

IF ever mag upgrade po ako sir what things do I need na? and magkano ang budget price para sa upgrades?

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Also consider sa cost:
- Microphone cables and stands.
- Software that you'll use. Reaper is most affordable: free version is full-featured with enough plug-ins, pay $60 for eventual upgrades.
- Monitoring: Either good headphones or speaker monitors. But you can start with what you already have.

Should you want to upgrade your stuff:
- Better headphones or speaker monitors. Or have one of both.
- Interface (e.g., firewire, more inputs)
- Mic: More mics (the kind and number depends on what you need in the future). And more mic cables and stands for the mics.
- Room treatment (so you control recording your room's ambience)
- Room isolation (so you control recording outside noise)
- Hardware/rack gear: Optional na lang. A lot of it, pwedeng daanin sa plug ins.

Budget: bahala na kung ano ang definition para sa iyo ng "affordable" when you want to upgrade. Best to check out online prices. Popular "affordable" brands so far are Samson, Audio Technica, Behringer, MXL, CAD, Edirol, (ano pa ba?)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline kevzkie024

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
Also consider sa cost:
- Microphone cables and stands.
- Software that you'll use. Reaper is most affordable: free version is full-featured with enough plug-ins, pay $60 for eventual upgrades.
- Monitoring: Either good headphones or speaker monitors. But you can start with what you already have.

Should you want to upgrade your stuff:
- Better headphones or speaker monitors. Or have one of both.
- Interface (e.g., firewire, more inputs)
- Mic: More mics (the kind and number depends on what you need in the future). And more mic cables and stands for the mics.
- Room treatment (so you control recording your room's ambience)
- Room isolation (so you control recording outside noise)
- Hardware/rack gear: Optional na lang. A lot of it, pwedeng daanin sa plug ins.

Budget: bahala na kung ano ang definition para sa iyo ng "affordable" when you want to upgrade. Best to check out online prices. Popular "affordable" brands so far are Samson, Audio Technica, Behringer, MXL, CAD, Edirol, (ano pa ba?)
Sir I have questions too. For example I have xenyx audio interface and c3 condeser mic, kailangan ko pa po ba ng focusrite scarlett or mixer? And saan nakakabili ng DAW and rack gear? Thank you!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »
For example I have xenyx audio interface and c3 condeser mic, kailangan ko pa po ba ng focusrite scarlett or mixer?

For recording with 1 mic at a time, no.
For recording with 2 or more mics at a time, yes.

And saan nakakabili ng DAW and rack gear?

DAW: Sa website ng gumawa. For example, if you want to buy Reaper, just go to their website: www.reaper.fm. Google the different DAWs na lang so you can review and compare. There are also reviews by other people in various websites.

Rack gear: All major music stores in the Philippines carry rack gear. Pero to start off, wag muna kumuha ng rack gear. Daanin mo na lang sa plug in (software). Add later if you get more sophisticated in recording, buying only what you need as you go along.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline kevzkie024

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
For recording with 1 mic at a time, no.
For recording with 2 or more mics at a time, yes.

DAW: Sa website ng gumawa. For example, if you want to buy Reaper, just go to their website: www.reaper.fm. Google the different DAWs na lang so you can review and compare. There are also reviews by other people in various websites.

Rack gear: All major music stores in the Philippines carry rack gear. Pero to start off, wag muna kumuha ng rack gear. Daanin mo na lang sa plug in (software). Add later if you get more sophisticated in recording, buying only what you need as you go along.
So meaning, I can't record multi track kapag xenyx lang ang gamit ko even if I add mics?

I see. May suggested VST plug ins po ba kayo for drums, guitars and vocals?

Maraming salamat sir Inigo!

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
So meaning, I can't record multi track kapag xenyx lang ang gamit ko even if I add mics?

I see. May suggested VST plug ins po ba kayo for drums, guitars and vocals?

Maraming salamat sir Inigo!

If I remember correctly, yung output ng Xenyx via USB is just one stereo track, so if you want to record more than one track, you'd have to pan each of your two inputs (and two inputs only) hard left and right, record, then split that stereo track in the DAW into two mono tracks then pan accordingly. Medyo hassle.

Guitar Rig for guitar effects, Amplitube for amp sims, EZ Drummer is a favorite for drums though I'm happy with Independence Free. If you're on Windows the free version of SIR is awesome, if you plan to use impulse reverbs.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili