hulika

Author Topic: Fuzz in worship?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
Fuzz in worship?
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:09:52 PM »
Hi, I have been thinking about this lately and a bit curious. I have played P&W for almost 12 years but never in my mind choose to add or even to use a fuzz pedal in my board. I have usually played stacking od/drives or distortion and what not. But fuzz..nope. Tried a muff before but doesn't work for me maybe its because it sounds like a speaker is about to explode. Too gnarly for me, I guess. I know some hillsong sounds use fuzzes in their board and so other bands like delirious.

So do some of you use it into an extent that it becomes your main drive for rhythm/solos etc? What kind of fuzz are you using btw? Does it work well with your amp or do fuzzes chooses amps?

Thanks and God bless everyone!  ^-^
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Fuzz in worship?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
I'm a low gainer type of guy. So mahilig ako sa low gain Overdrive lang. Ayoko ng Distortion lalo yung Fuzz. Pero minsan gumamit ako ng Fuzz during solo, ok naman..hahaha. pero isang beses ko lang ginawa, sa isang kanta lang na tingin ko babagay..hehe Tingin ko kasi mapili ang Fuzz, sa kanta, sa part ng kanta, lalo na sa style ng music natin which is sa church.. though wala namang rules na BAWAL gumamit ng fuzz pero it's just it doesn't fit well. :)
"Accomplishing the impossible is all about seeing the invisible."

- Sun Stand Still

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:16:42 AM »
I'm a fuzz user! Regularly kong nagagamit mga fuzz in worship. Once played an entire set using only my musket fuzz and played with the volume control on my guitar to get different levels of dirt.

I suggest looking for the fuzzes that actually play well within the praise and worship context. Madalas yun yung mga versatile na fuzzes. Nasa board ko po ngayon is the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz and the ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory. Both are very versatile and allows you to dial in or dial out the crazies. Minsan, binabagsak ko yung mids sa musket fuzz to disappear in the background and take on the parts of the pads. Also, I once used the siren setting on the Fuzz Factory during a crazy moment in our church. Worked out great with just a couple of people wondering where the sound was coming from. Btw, ang amp ko is a Laney Cub 12R at yung sa church naman is a Peavey Valveking 112.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
I'm a fuzz user! Regularly kong nagagamit mga fuzz in worship. Once played an entire set using only my musket fuzz and played with the volume control on my guitar to get different levels of dirt.

I suggest looking for the fuzzes that actually play well within the praise and worship context. Madalas yun yung mga versatile na fuzzes. Nasa board ko po ngayon is the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz and the ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory. Both are very versatile and allows you to dial in or dial out the crazies. Minsan, binabagsak ko yung mids sa musket fuzz to disappear in the background and take on the parts of the pads. Also, I once used the siren setting on the Fuzz Factory during a crazy moment in our church. Worked out great with just a couple of people wondering where the sound was coming from. Btw, ang amp ko is a Laney Cub 12R at yung sa church naman is a Peavey Valveking 112.

Thanks for the share sir voidmain and NTM, Ive been thinking of adding a fuzz to my board as of late pero pinagiisipan ko pa. I'm curious about the zvex fuzz
factory. Do you guys know a cheap fuzz I could buy to just experiment with? Don't want to buy boutique and sell it after testing, gusto ko muna magtesting sa mura pero
ok na pedal. Mooer Triangle buff? something similar in terms of price ? :)

Hendroff uses a Cusack scruzz pedal which I just assume is fuzz pedal. Jad Gillies, Michael Guy Chislett and many more used fuzzes too. But I dont hear it sa records nila?
Gusto ko din sana gawin like if they use it in this part of the bridge or chorus gusto ko din sana gawin.

Do worship leaders complain if they hear a fuzz distortion in the background? For me fuzz sounds can sound really heavy more like a stoner rock, sludge etc.or depende
pa din? How about mixing fuzz with delay does it work out well naman?     
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
Thanks for the share sir voidmain and NTM, Ive been thinking of adding a fuzz to my board as of late pero pinagiisipan ko pa. I'm curious about the zvex fuzz
factory. Do you guys know a cheap fuzz I could buy to just experiment with? Don't want to buy boutique and sell it after testing, gusto ko muna magtesting sa mura pero
ok na pedal. Mooer Triangle buff? something similar in terms of price ? :)

Hendroff uses a Cusack scruzz pedal which I just assume is fuzz pedal. Jad Gillies, Michael Guy Chislett and many more used fuzzes too. But I dont hear it sa records nila?
Gusto ko din sana gawin like if they use it in this part of the bridge or chorus gusto ko din sana gawin.

Do worship leaders complain if they hear a fuzz distortion in the background? For me fuzz sounds can sound really heavy more like a stoner rock, sludge etc.or depende
pa din? How about mixing fuzz with delay does it work out well naman?   
Di naman sila nagrereklamo. As long as pasok sa song, ok naman. One of our worship leaders actually encourages me to use one of my fuzzes when he wants to rock out.

As for a cheap, useable fuzz, suggest ko yung Mooer Grey Faze. I can make my standard fuzz (from the fuzz factory) setting on it if that's what you're looking for. Also, try rolling back the volume just a hair to get a more biting tone out of it.

Ok sana yung Triangle Buff kaso I'd still want a mids knob for it as medyo mahirap gamitin ang scooped na fuzz in praise and worship.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Di naman sila nagrereklamo. As long as pasok sa song, ok naman. One of our worship leaders actually encourages me to use one of my fuzzes when he wants to rock out.

As for a cheap, useable fuzz, suggest ko yung Mooer Grey Faze. I can make my standard fuzz (from the fuzz factory) setting on it if that's what you're looking for. Also, try rolling back the volume just a hair to get a more biting tone out of it.

Ok sana yung Triangle Buff kaso I'd still want a mids knob for it as medyo mahirap gamitin ang scooped na fuzz in praise and worship.

I see.. Thanks for the shout out Voidmain! I guess I'll research about the mooer grey faze. Mids are important to me and don't want scooped fuzzes. It can't stand out in a band setting.

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
I see.. Thanks for the shout out Voidmain! I guess I'll research about the mooer grey faze. Mids are important to me and don't want scooped fuzzes. It can't stand out in a band setting.
Btw, try all the fuzzes you can. Sobrang dami kasing choices at minsan magugustuhan mo yung mga cheap ones more than the more expensive ones. I had a standard US Big Muff before that sounded killer. Mali ko talaga na binenta ko pa yun. Also, if you have an issue with a fuzz being scooped, just place it after a mids-boosted od. I've had great sounds coming from my OCD (in hp mode) into my Musket Fuzz.

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 01:46:07 PM »
its always within how you will be able to blend the fuzz in the style of songs to play. I've tried it, and it worked.. Used it for a youth service, and it rocked.

But it didnt stay on my pedal board though. I've always been a light OD kind of guy. :-)
You don't choose the guitar, it chooses you.

If at any point in time you cannot afford a particular guitar, don't play it. If it chooses you, you have to buy it.  If you simply can't beg, steal, or borrow, you will eventually die of a broken heart..

Offline DonRomantico

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 10:19:43 AM »
Natry ko na gummit ng fuzz face type pedal sa isang Chris Tomlin song, volume max, fuzz all the way down with od and delay, parang Eric Johnson tone hehe OK din:)

Offline ray34

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
Fuzz is not a usual sound that you can find in Praise and Worship songs... interestingly enough, I was able to use it (EHX - Big Muff) for the song "Brighter" by Young and Free - Hillsong along with my bass. It actually sounded nice for the service...