hulika

Author Topic: USB and Firewire Mixers  (Read 24389 times)

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
Re: USB and Firewire Mixers
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »
It's a problem with your routing but I also think you've stumbled upon the limitations of USB mixers. Jeps! Help me out here!

yes sir jepoy, I saw your setup in the forums.  you have the firewire versions, and I think you mentioned that you had the USB versions as well.

Make sure your track 1 and 2 are in mono not stereo. Good luck!

did that meyng. still the same.  thanks though. 

The problem with the hum is, it's only when I attach the USB cable to the mixer/when I use the mixer as the sound card.  When I record, the hum is recorded too.  Like I said earlier, people in other forums have said that that's natural and that it would disappear when mixed down.  However, it didn't happen with mine.  As I said, it's a high pitched hum that's hanging around in the background but noticeable enough. 
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 04:58:55 PM »
Directly connected ba ung Alesis sa pc mo? Desktop or laptop? Do you have access to a powered usb hub? Sounds like a kind of groundloop problem, pero I think it's otherwise.

As for your routing, kill all the aux and fx sends muna. You are returning the main mix into your software that's why it's recording previously recorded material or the playback tracks are also being recorded. How do the inputs appear in your software anyway? Are you using asio or wdm?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »
sir kit,

I get the sound when I connect the mixer via USB.  It's in a hub, pero the kind of hub that's directly connected to the motherboard.  So it's not external in anyway nor is it connected as an extension to the USB. 

ASIO? WDM?  sorry, pretty much a newbie...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »
Methinks you have a noisy power supply. Are you using a generic PSU? Cheap AVRs are also notoriously noisy; one of the reasons I use a UPS and grounded all my gear to a good earth ground.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »
grounding?  you mean simply attaching a wire from the mixer to another metal object? 

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »
grounding?  you mean simply attaching a wire from the mixer to another metal object? 

I buried a 6-foot long ground rod and ran heavy gauge, thick copper wiring from the rod to my UPS grounding. simply attaching to any metal object will not do. Check your pc power supply, madalas nandun ang problema especially if it's generic.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »

It's a problem with your routing but I also think you've stumbled upon the limitations of USB mixers. Jeps! Help me out here!

@KitC
juuujooong!!! im here sensei!

@demet
Like what my SENSEI Master KitC posted in different threads before USB is somewhat limited unlike the firewire versions. USB is is 50% slowers on the transfer rates.

actually pretty much covered lahat ng sinabi ng Master KitC ko.

Im gonna share a tru to life story.... hehehe

I Use to have a PC that doesnt have a USB 2.0 port and i get the same problem as yours using my USB Mixer. When i upgraded my PC and used the 2.0 port all the noises was "reduced" not totally gone. Thats the time i decided to go firewire. When the guy who bought my mixer is already using the mixer iwas really surprised why he aint getting that problem (without him knowing what im looking for and without him knowing why ireally sold that to him). I Checked his settings (chain, mics, adn applications) and found nothing special about it. When i checked at the back i saw that he used a different USB cable (brand New) and he said he had to buy a new one coz the one i gave it to him is causing hums and grounding. I said to myself it doesnt really make sense coz a USB cable is only transfering data to pc.... NOTHING MORE.

Then after a month he gave me a call and he said he's getting those noises. I told him to call Alesis about it and what the support told him is to use the application budled with the mixer, check any groundings in the PC, Check if the PSU is regulated....

He then bouaght himself an HEC PSU.

AND WALAH!!! no more problem!

a silly story pero thats what really happened ;) hehe

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 11:02:22 PM »
sir kit,

I get the sound when I connect the mixer via USB.  It's in a hub, pero the kind of hub that's directly connected to the motherboard.  So it's not external in anyway nor is it connected as an extension to the USB. 

ASIO? WDM?  sorry, pretty much a newbie...

One Major RULE on Video and Audio!

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use a USB HUB for your gears.

Lets talk about videos.... if you have  a camcorder and you cant get the videos out to you computer... 1st question that will asked you by customer relations is "Is you camera connected to a USB HUB?" Hardware and Software Developer disagrees on using USB Hub coz it divides the speed on one USB port to the computer. This rule is also applicable to Audio stuffs also.

Like most of the people here... they use their DAW PC for Audio recording only. My Workstation is used for Video and Audio Stuffs only... You DAW should be dedicated on Audio recording only... thats why i have other pc for gaming and other stuffs also.

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 11:07:06 PM »

Like most of the people here... they use their DAW PC for Audio recording only. My Workstation is used for Video and Audio Stuffs only... You DAW should be dedicated on Audio recording only... thats why i have other pc for gaming and other stuffs also.

very good point sempai. 

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »
Glad to help bro...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2007, 12:23:11 AM »
Just a small comment on the hub.

There are cases where a usb device has the potential to draw more power than a mobo usb port is typically capable of giving out. Usually we see values like 500 ma per HUB (not per port). Although a mobo may have as many as 6 to 10 usb ports, they are usually grouped into 3 or 4 ports per hub (virtual hub on the mobo itself) and  that 500 ma of current is distributed among the ports.

There are usb devices that draw out more than 500 ma of current. Tascam usb devices are among some of those identified (sorry, Phil). Normally, these high current/power devices come with their own power adaptors but some do not and rely on bus power to drive them. That's where the problems start...

The workaround is to use a powered usb hub, but ONLY dedicate that hub to that device. That way, you avoid the usb bus bandwidth contention when several devices are connected and you assure that device of sufficient power and current. You can check in device manager which devices are sharing which hub by checking the properties of the usb root hub. It even shows you power consumption (although I'm constantly perplexed why my M-Audio Midisport 2x2 uses 0 ma  :| ).

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
One good example, my external 2.5" HDD doesn't work when I plug to USB Hub.
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »
walang kuwenta lahat yan mapa USB o Firewire kasi GAStos lang yan hehehehe.  :-D. JK.. kita mo Jepoy tahimik ako at walang binibili hehehehe  :evil:.. di ba kitC ?
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »
Medyo OT na to pero walang tatalo sa yo pagdating sa GAS, pareng Baldo. Kapag napaglumaan at napagsawaan mo na yung Grace 201 mo, isama na yan sa mga balikbayan box ni jeps! hehe  :wink:

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2007, 10:40:09 AM »
pareng kitC..mukhang sa yr 3000 pa yun hahahaha..  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2007, 05:11:05 PM »
...so should I get the TASCAM FW-1082?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »

ikaw din makaksagot nyan pareng phil eh. kung masaya ka na naman sa current setup mo no need for upgrades... yun lang ang sakin. One more thing... dapat iniisip din natin ang ROI natin di palaging gas ng gas tulad ni ng iba dyan... diba Pareng BALDO? nyahahahaha Infairness kay BALDO bigtime mga clients nyan hehehe

cyah on the 24th BALDO! dont 4get yung headphones ko ha nyahahaha

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2007, 12:00:27 AM »

From what I can tell in the Sonar forums, you should be ok with the 1082. Check out  this post for configuration options.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2007, 04:34:12 PM »
Jepoy..akala ko ba drum set di ba? yun ang gusto mo..sabi ko nga sa iyo meron dito 1:1000 na scale eh.. :lol:.. sige sticks na lang pwede? see you sa 24th man..kita kits
Music is art in sound...

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2007, 02:51:57 PM »
Hunter,

That's a very low latency figure; even lower than the RME's Fireface800's 1.5 ms. What DAW and pc specs are you using?

Guys, I just built a new PC for DAW with Asus board, AMD AM2 Athlon 3500+, 1 Gb of DDR2. I tried straight away the AA2 with 0.5ms latency tracking 2 tracks... heeew! no pop no clicks on my recording.

By the way my Asus board is a fanless design so I plug only the small chasis exhaust fan. The board comes with a remote control to enable the "noise off" function. When the noise off function activated the fan speed slowed down. So quiter tracking!  :-)

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
Hunter,

That's a very low latency figure; even lower than the RME's Fireface800's 1.5 ms. What DAW and pc specs are you using?

Guys, I just built a new PC for DAW with Asus board, AMD AM2 Athlon 3500+, 1 Gb of DDR2. I tried straight away the AA2 with 0.5ms latency tracking 2 tracks... heeew! no pop no clicks on my recording.

By the way my Asus board is a fanless design so I plug only the small chasis exhaust fan. The board comes with a remote control to enable the "noise off" function. When the noise off function activated the fan speed slowed down. So quiter tracking!  :-)

OT: peace sir THeHunter...ganda naman ng board nyo po...anu po model?tingin tingin lang po ako sa mga asus boards... :-)
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »
Mga sir.  Salamat ng marami sa advice.  I recorded a few days ago and tried all your ideas.  It worked.  Goit a new USB cable and malinis na yung sound.  In addition, na track ko na rin ng maayos yung left and right niya.  Here's a sample of my work:http://images.meydjazz.multiply.com/song/1/9/full/U2FsdGVkX18OdM1KKIr3Lvcy5Xn7k7lyF82cwtsRZ83nMT6Q0Z,s2A==/01%20Tunay%20mp3.mp3

pagtripan niyo naman and give me your opinions.  This is a song I wrote for my wife for our upcoming wedding.  Thanks!

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »

OT: peace sir THeHunter...ganda naman ng board nyo po...anu po model?tingin tingin lang po ako sa mga asus boards... :-)

Asus M2N-VM DH, here's the link http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=345&model=1343&modelmenu=1

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »
This is a song I wrote for my wife for our upcoming wedding.

Aba! Congratulations, demet!

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
Thank you sir KitC!  Maraming salamat!