hulika

Author Topic: Quad core or Dual core???  (Read 13199 times)

Offline stanley

Re: Quad core or Dual core???
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 07:49:25 PM »
sir kitC, say something about my mobo its ASUS P5P800-VM, di ko kasi alam ang kalibre nito. Im using Sonar's PE.
In God We Trust, In Gold We Trash

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 08:22:30 PM »
sir kitC, say something about my mobo its ASUS P5P800-VM, di ko kasi alam ang kalibre nito. Im using Sonar's PE.

Uses intel 865G chipset plus ICH5 southbridge. The 865 is a mature chipset and it used to be the most stable for audio on the Intel side. Superceded now largely by the P975 chipset. Your mobo is one of the small form factor boards (SFF) with only 3 pci slots so getting a free IRQ might be harder. In general, you have nothing much to worry about your mobo except maybe expansion capability.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline stanley

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 08:43:03 PM »
glad to read my mobo, thanks sir kitC for the review, pwede po ba isa pa.  what IRQ stands for?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 08:54:50 PM »
glad to read my mobo, thanks sir kitC for the review, pwede po ba isa pa.  what IRQ stands for?

IRQ = Interrupt ReQuest line, kinda like a channel for peripherals and devices to talk to the cpu. More here.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline stanley

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 09:22:37 PM »
very helpful info, thanks again sir KitC.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 09:11:17 PM »

IRQ = Interrupt ReQuest line, kinda like a channel for peripherals and devices to talk to the cpu. More here.

aha!!!napaliwanag to nung workshop ah!!!hehehe...."REMEMBER!!! slot 2 and 3 ang the best!!!" ayus sir kitC..maapply ung turo nyo.. :) hehehe
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2007, 01:06:22 PM »
@bindoy - depende yan sa design ng mobo. Some mobos  have slot 4 free naman, it all depends on the IRQ allocation table included in the manual. Usually, Asus and MSI have these tables, pati ata Gigabyte has this. The more 'affordable' mobos do not have this data kaya you will have to go through the process manually, meaning, install the card and drivers, then check in Device Manager if it doesn't share an IRQ.

Do not rely on windows telling you that no conflicts are occuring since it will usually say that everything is ok even if the card is sharing. Some cards are more tolerant of sharing, but it's better to be safe than sorry in my book.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2007, 12:42:24 PM »
@bindoy - depende yan sa design ng mobo. Some mobos  have slot 4 free naman, it all depends on the IRQ allocation table included in the manual. Usually, Asus and MSI have these tables, pati ata Gigabyte has this. The more 'affordable' mobos do not have this data kaya you will have to go through the process manually, meaning, install the card and drivers, then check in Device Manager if it doesn't share an IRQ.

Do not rely on windows telling you that no conflicts are occuring since it will usually say that everything is ok even if the card is sharing. Some cards are more tolerant of sharing, but it's better to be safe than sorry in my book.

tiwala din talaga ako dito sa sinabi nyo sir.kasi ang windows ganun talaga magsasabi...kasi testify ko yan sa CPU cooling system...kahit sabihin nila ok kelangan mo talaga trial test para makita mo ung totoong takbo  talaga e...

ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline nongx

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 03:47:11 PM »
mga sir, tanong ko lang ok ba ang Dell PrecisionTM  690
ito specs. n

Operating System:
Genuine  Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Genuine  Windows Vista™ Business
Genuine  Windows® XP Professional
Genuine  Windows® XP Professional x64 Editioniya:

Processor
64-bit Dual and Quad-Core Intel®  Xeon®  Processors 5000, 5100 and 5300 series

Memory
Up to 64GB1 quad-channel2 architecture DDR2 Fully-Buffered DIMM 533 and 667 MHz ECC memory

Graphics
High-performance graphics cards up to 512MB and 150 watts5 in x16 PCI Express slot with optional dual-graphics

Storage
Up to 2.0 TB6 of SATA storage or up to 1.2TB6 of integrated SAS storage, both with integrated support for RAID 0 and 1; up to 1.7TBTB6 of storage with 500GB2 SATA boot drive plus 4 SAS drives, Optional PERC 5/i PCI-e RAID card supports RAID 0, 1, 5,

thanks
nongx

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 10:52:49 PM »
is that your DAW rig nongx?

grabe ang ganda ng specs!

well... if you ask me... thats more than enough to feed all the requirements needed for a DAW

$3000 ?
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 11:35:12 PM »
3K? I don't think I ever spent that much on a DAW. Think that might be too much? If you build your own, it would come out way cheaper so you could put your money more towards a quality preamp, some EQs, maybe a couple of new UAD-1s. My PC was built with a combination of OEM and Retail boxed parts; whatever I could find from suppliers that I knew were of good quality. If you are a student or a faculty member of a university, take advantage of your academic discount.

Of course, this doesn't apply to Mac.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 11:45:32 PM »
hehehe

mikey... i went to dells website kasi then theres this customize your pc there, then it'll compute for you.

with nongx's specs... almost $3k came out :D

haaayyy.... the best parin talaga to build your own pc rather than getting a branded one.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
guys thanks for all your help.  just got me an e6600 on a p5w dh board last night. the other specs are 2x1GB kingston 667, 40GB sata, 250GB sata, hec 550W,lightscribe dvd-r, and a PATI pcie 128 video card.  i havent tried it yet  :lol: im really crossing my fingers that i don't bump into any problems.  will update you about it soon :) im really hoping i don't bump into any problem  :|

again, thanks for all the recommendations :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2007, 07:48:32 AM »
Computer prices never goes up so dont spend that much. Only buy what you need, it's not a piece of land that's going to be valuable anytime soon.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007, 07:52:08 AM »
true. nakakahinayang nga isipin that in 6 months my new pc will cost just half of the what i purchased it for  :lol: oh well.  if it weren't for the time factor i would hold out and wait for the quad core. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:12:48 PM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 09:56:37 AM »
guys thanks for all your help.  just got me an e6600 on a p5w dh board last night. the other specs are 2x1GB kingston 667, 40GB sata, 250GB sata, hec 550W,lightscribe dvd-r, and a PATI pcie 128 video card.  i havent tried it yet  :lol: im really crossing my fingers that i don't bump into any problems.  will update you about it soon :) im really hoping i don't bump into any problem  :|

WHOAA!isang makapangyarihan na PC to...hehehe...no recommendations na mam...GO lang ng GO!!!hehehe..this is it...hehhe..
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »

WHOAA!isang makapangyarihan na PC to...hehehe...no recommendations na mam...GO lang ng GO!!!hehehe..this is it...hehhe..

salamat ng madami bindoy!!!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 01:14:29 PM »
My Core 2 Duo 6600 with 2GB Corsair DDR2 6700 is quite fast.  I can use a bunch of plugins without slowing down.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 01:35:27 PM »

congrats. the core 2 duo chips are really good bargains and should tide you over for quite a while. My pc was almost 5 years old before i upgraded to the core 2 duo 6700s but even then I was able to do all of my audio work on my P4 machine without too much problems.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline nongx

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:54 PM »

well... if you ask me... thats more than enough to feed all the requirements needed for a DAW

$3000 ?

not yet jepoy im just planing to buy and i want to know first here in our forum if this model is good or not

regards

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »

$3000 ?

not yet jepoy im just planing to buy and i want to know first here in our forum if this model is good or not

regards

ang tindi ng specs nyo nong..

grabe..supremo!hehehe...astig!
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2007, 01:43:52 AM »

$3000 ?

regards

yeah ... like what i said... panalo na specs... pero try considering to get the same specs kung ikaw mismo or ipapaassemble mo na lang yung pc. mas makakapamili ka pa ng mas magandang motherboard and brands ng mga ikakabit mo para sa rig mo :)

Offline nongx

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2007, 02:51:34 PM »

$3000 ?

thanks jepoy fo the suggestion!

REGARDS
NONGX

regards

yeah ... like what i said... panalo na specs... pero try considering to get the same specs kung ikaw mismo or ipapaassemble mo na lang yung pc. mas makakapamili ka pa ng mas magandang motherboard and brands ng mga ikakabit mo para sa rig mo :)

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
true. nakakahinayang nga isipin that in 6 months my new pc will cost just half of the what i purchased it for  :lol: oh well.  if it weren't for the time factor i would hold out and wait for the quad core. 

well, hopefully when the time to upgrade comes, there would have been enough earnings to make an upgrade. :-D mine is an e6600 on a p5b deluxe mobo with 4gb corsair ddr2 667 ram, and 3 320gb sata drives. most of my problems have something to do with the 4gb ram, coz not all applications are large-memory-address-aware (and the problem will not go away even if you employed the /3gb  or the /pae switch. however, you shouldn't run into those problems with 2gb of ram, which xp can address pretty consistently. good luck on your new pc, hazel. wishing you lots of projects. :-D
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2007, 08:22:26 AM »
thanks marvin :)

it's true about the 4gb problem.  aside from budget constraints (hehe) the reason why i went with 2GB is i didn't want that kind of problem, specially with my uad's (they are notorious for this).  it can be fixed with the switch they say, but i don't think i can afford that kind of complication in case things don't go as expected :)

btw, today is the day i will be testing the new pc.  i have a hundred track song (more or less including fx channels and busses) which made my old system choke and sputter to near death.  im wondering how the new system would handle it ;)  *crosses fingers*
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:03:10 AM by starfugger »