hulika

Author Topic: Quad core or Dual core???  (Read 13200 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Quad core or Dual core???
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »
Good luck, Haze!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »
ok, guys. here's the low down   i managed to crash the new pc. haha.:lol:

i suppose i WAS a little abusive on the new system but only because i wanted to see how far it can go.  i recently got a new demo activation from uad and tried EVERYTHING today, including the helios (niiiice), the 1081 (sweet), and the 3369, all of which are cpu hungry (the uad's cpu, i mean).  it's the first time i tried these out and they worlked pretty great UNTIL i noticed my tracks were going out of sync.  uh oh.  what the ?!?!  i couldnt figure it out at first until i deactivated the pultec and precision eq on my master bus.  then everything went back to normal.  weird.  cubase is supposed to have automatic delay compensation right? i dont know what went wrong there.  could it be that i was having issues because the file wasn't originally located on the sata drive but imported via dvd?

anyway, i hope you guys can give me tips on how to tweak the mobo, etc.  i havent touched xp yet and have not made the necessary adjustments.  thanks guys!

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2007, 11:09:41 PM »
Do the tracks start out right then slowly go out of sync? Did you check your sample rates? Is the dvd file data or is it dvd-audio? Remember that dvd audio is usually 48 or 96 khz. Also check if the dvd drive is operating in DMA, not PIO, mode (look in drive properties).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »
Do the tracks start out right then slowly go out of sync? Did you check your sample rates? Is the dvd file data or is it dvd-audio? Remember that dvd audio is usually 48 or 96 khz. Also check if the dvd drive is operating in DMA, not PIO, mode (look in drive properties).

yeeeeessss.  that was the freaky thing.  they start out wrong then catch up and then be all messed up again at some point.   :lol:  the tracks that did these were the ones with the NEW uad plugs.  maybe the new plugs and the card are still in getting-to-know-you-mode?  haha, is that possible?  sayang talaga because i was planning to pick up a couple of these plugs since i have a 150-dollar voucher (they did everything i wanted them to do effortlessly!) but if they will mess up my cubase file this way then it's not worth the trouble.  or maybe an additional uad pcie card will fix this?  :lol:  (*sits in corner and rocks gently* ... not more GAS, no more GAS, no more GAs ...)

kit, the dvd was data, but i havent checked if it's on dma or not (will do that in a few).  there were other weird stuff the new system  did like dropping the vocal buss and each time i reconnected bus 7/8 on my rme via "connections" on cubase, it put the vocal track on overdive mode (it was suddenly distorted and LOUD).  this was fixed by closing cubase and reopening the file.  that occured once and i was thinking maybe it was a "getting-to-know-you" quirk?  i have a strange feeling that this is happening because:

1) i used templates (i noticed that a cubase is less quirky if u start from scratch --- no templates!  :cry:)
2) the files originally came from another location

im hoping that these weird things will disappear when i actually record the tracks on the new system.

THE GOOD THINGS:
yes, it IS fast.  almost 100 tracks and a handful of cpu-hungry plugs and we're still going going going!  rewind, forward and playback is instantaneous.  no chocking to near death, no hiccups, etc.  loading of plugs are instantaneous as well.  opening HEAVY files are done in a matter of seconds, unlike in my old system where i can still pop something in the microwave, have a cozy little chat with the clients whilst drinkng tea, before the file actually loads ... and crashes.  :lol:

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2007, 08:27:29 AM »
i have a few suggestions, hazel.

try unloading some of the vst plug-ins you're not using in that project -- this is just to make sure that whatever problems are not being caused by those plug-ins that you're not using anyway. at least not for that particular project.

i usually enounter problems like that when i'm transferring my session from here in alabang (where i use a mac) to my studio in paranaque (where i use the pc). usually, just to unload the plug-ins i'm using on the mac, the unload all my vst plug-ins (by renaming my vst plugins folder), open the file, save it to another filename, close, cubase, rename the vst plugin folder back, open cubase, open that new file, and reload my plug-ins.

won't work with version 3 onwards though, where "phantom plug-ins" have already been implemented.

that weird thing that was happening to you happened very recently to me too. it was definitely a hard drive issue. i was streaming way too much data. i was using quantum leap's platinum orchestra xp, which had 24-bit samples to begin with (more data to have to stream), plus release samples (even MORE data to stream). that was the first time i've ever made a dual g5 with 4gb of ram choke.

hope this helps.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »
yep, marvin.  i havent checked if there were plugs not in use.  this also happened to me once, the file was choking way before i have beaten it to death.  got me scratching my head, then i found the culprit.  7 instances of amp sims!  i forgot i plugged something on the track and everytime i duplicated the track to record a new set of guitars, another instance of the amp sim was created.   :lol:

ako din i suspected it was a hard drive thing.  but why??? im on sata now which is supposed to be faster than my old IDE drive (and that one didn't give me any of these sync problems).  any suggested tweak guys? did i get the worng drive speed?  diba standard 7200 rpm ang sata?  or it could be just the uad plugs getting weird on me ... which would make it a pci issue right?  ok have to tweak the uad perhaps.  havent done that yet.

again, thanks!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »
well, uad cards have their share of pci issues, and since i don't have one, none of those horror stories are mine, but i've read a few. :-)

100 tracks might be torture for your drive, especially if it's severely fragmented. you might be streaming samples too, and that could be worse if it's on the same drive streaming your audio. and a cpu upgrade helps very little in this department. would your budget allow for a raid drive and a fw800 card? i have a 1TB drive (2x 500gb drives in a raid 0 configuration) that i got for 18k. (no, it's not for sale. haha)

(*) then again, if it was working fine on your old system, maybe it's not a hard drive issue.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:38:24 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
my (not-so-elegant) solution to that, at least for the time being, would be to render the audio files to free up cpu resources (which should be pretty abundant considering you're using a core 2 duo, and 2 uad cards). if it's indeed a hard drive issue, well, try rendering your audio files into submixes (or stems, as some people - like BT -  would call them). not only will it tidy up your session, your hard drive will thank you for it. :-D
============
Marvin Querido

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »
"now i read somwhere that u need 3 drives: one for the OS, one for data, and hmmm what was the third for? can't remember, sir, gimme 2 drives please. thanks."  haha!  seriously that was how it went down in the shop.  

i do make use of drum samples sometimes in lieu/on top of the snare/kick drum tracks.  pwede pala i-slave daw yung ide drive sa mobo through the cd-rom cable.  i'll try that later.  thanks marvin :)

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »
the 3rd drive is for samples.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2007, 09:54:22 PM »
hayyy after several attempts to load drivers and programs, tweak xp and format the HD.. finally EVERYTHING works.. voila!!! my pc now works.. quad core  ddrs 800 4 gigs ram, HD 150 and 300.. after so many hours of carpentry work and wiring of equipments, the studio is now ready to accept clients..!!
now what i only need is MORE AUDIOENGINEERING knowledge and ...  musical talent  :-D :-D :-D.. hmmmm para makagawa ng kahit isa man lang song.. otso otso o itaktak mo? hehehehe  :-D  :-P
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2007, 10:43:43 PM »
congrats:) masarap pag seamless ang trabaho sa gear ano? as far as clients, i guess word-of-mouth works best. musical talent? cultivation at practice lang yan 'pre. ako pa sa 'yo...balik ka sa pag gig, maski basics lang like acoustic one-man show. I've gone back to doing acoustic shows kase kelangan mo talaga ma-develop at ma-maintain ang chops when it comes to musicianship. no shortcuts:(
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »
oo nga..kaso ala naman ako TIME right now.. home improvement naman ako..kakatapos lang ng studio improvement ( carpentry ).. nag pass nga ako sa isang party na me tugtugan kasi matagal na akong hindi nakakahawak ng guitar.. :oops:..  sana magka time ako kahit sandali lang hehehe..
Music is art in sound...

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
hayyy after several attempts to load drivers and programs, tweak xp and format the HD.. finally EVERYTHING works.. voila!!! my pc now works.. quad core  ddrs 800 4 gigs ram, HD 150 and 300.. after so many hours of carpentry work and wiring of equipments, the studio is now ready to accept clients..!!
now what i only need is MORE AUDIOENGINEERING knowledge and ...  musical talent  :-D :-D :-D.. hmmmm para makagawa ng kahit isa man lang song.. otso otso o itaktak mo? hehehehe  :-D  :-P

lupet sir!4 gbs!!!
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
hindi pa naman Bindoy..pag me pambili na ng Vista at pag na upgrade na sa 8 gigs siguro ok na ako dun hehehe.  8-) pero oo nga pala wala pa drivers para sa Vista kaya hasta la vista muna ako hehehe..
Music is art in sound...