hulika

Author Topic: I NEED YOUR EARS!!! THE ACID TEST - Mastering Shootout  (Read 19406 times)

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I NEED YOUR EARS!!! THE ACID TEST - Mastering Shootout
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »
it's a good thing classical music refuses to be a casualty of the L1. well, that's also the reason why it's almost impossible for a classical CD to be played in a car and actually be able to find any real pleasure from that experience.  :-D sorry, medyo OT na.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
if they want it louder, why don't they just turn up the volume? it used to be that simple.

Because life is not that simple anymore.  And yes, PEOPLE ARE LAZY TO REACH FOR THE VOLUME KNOB.  Consider these:

1.  People like iPods.  So whether you are reading a book or using a dock in your car, when your mix is softer than the previous song, people don't like reaching for the volume knob while they're busy.
2.  Most people are NOT audiophiles.  This loudness trend is a product of a tyranny of majority preference (or should I say, brainwashing).
3.  People don't like hearing dynamic mixes in their cutesie mp3 cellphones.  :x
4.  People don't like to invest on great playback systems.  May iba nga. 5.1 or 7.1 pa, nakaharap naman lahat sa isang direction.
5.  People simply don't care... they want volume.  That is the average opinion.  They notice volume first.  They'd rather TONE DOWN than CRANK UP. 

I know the heart of the problem folks.  Hence the statement.. "We are officially slaves of compression..."

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 12:41:23 AM »
Mastering loudness? Watch this:

mode=related&search=
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 12:45:52 AM »
Mastering loudness? Watch this:

mode=related&search=

whoah!

Title pa lang ng video... yun na yung pinagtatalunan nila ah!

nice video!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 05:12:25 AM »
if they want it louder, why don't they just turn up the volume? it used to be that simple.

Because life is not that simple anymore.  And yes, PEOPLE ARE LAZY TO REACH FOR THE VOLUME KNOB.  Consider these:

1.  People like iPods.  So whether you are reading a book or using a dock in your car, when your mix is softer than the previous song, people don't like reaching for the volume knob while they're busy.
2.  Most people are NOT audiophiles.  This loudness trend is a product of a tyranny of majority preference (or should I say, brainwashing).
3.  People don't like hearing dynamic mixes in their cutesie mp3 cellphones.  :x
4.  People don't like to invest on great playback systems.  May iba nga. 5.1 or 7.1 pa, nakaharap naman lahat sa isang direction.
5.  People simply don't care... they want volume.  That is the average opinion.  They notice volume first.  They'd rather TONE DOWN than CRANK UP. 

I know the heart of the problem folks.  Hence the statement.. "We are officially slaves of compression..."

im currently mixing a band called kastigo and i explained to them the evils of the louder-is-better-trend. they instantly got that.  when they have their songs mastered, they will see to it that dynamics still plays a major role in their music.  i think it is still our responsibility to impart the right values to our clients.  hopefully impressionable pa sila at mapick-up nila yung tinuturo natin sakanila :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 05:37:16 AM »
i can only remember SADE's album which sold millions of copies.. nasa -6dB pa yata mastering nun..hayyyyy
WALA SA PALAKASAN YAN!!!! grrrrrrr~~~~!!!

i so loooooooove sade baldo! wala lang  :-D

maybe an A/B would help.  even when i do pseudo mastering, i still A/B between the unmastered version and the mastered version AT THE SAME AMPLITUDE just to  see what's getting thrown out the window (i have a feeling it's more a matter of subtraction than adding elements that are beneficial to a mix).  the funny thing is ... these days when i do that, i usually just ditch the mastering stage altogether.  parang lalong nasisira, so wag nalang.  i reach for the precision limiter nalang and raise the volume conservatively, just  slight limiting to ensure the mix does not clip at any point.  i find the precision limiter to be somewhat colorless, transparent.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 05:44:46 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »
you mean the precision limiter ng UAD ? i was just watching that dvd that they include on all UA products.. endorsement of the heavies ( bob ludwig , cuniberti etc) has made my GAS juices flowing again hehehe  8-).. UAD CARDS!!!
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 10:55:53 AM »
uad cards, yeah!!! go go go baldo!!! haha, im really really contemplating on getting a third kaso parang abuso na.  haha.  if i ever do it would be pcie this time.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »
Hazel wag kang ganyan..July 4th ngayon.. dinidemonyo mo ako hahaha  :evil:..hmmm UAD o Mackie control surface? hehehe...
Music is art in sound...

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »
actually, i'm quite happy with duende's bus compressor... haha. i can make pretty extreme settings and the compression can hardly be heard. you might wanna look into that as well, baldo. haha.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »
hahaaaay! baldo, wala kang ligtas dito!  :-D

sending ;) sige baldo work your magic!!! thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:00:07 PM by starfugger »

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
sorry skunk sobrang OT na kami. last OT nalang, hehe.  baldo, sent. :) inbox full na daw e.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007, 04:15:54 PM »
sorry skunk sobrang OT na kami. last OT nalang, hehe.  baldo, sent. :) inbox full na daw e.

I've been looking into UAD cards as well, the studio pack, but my GAS attack for a G&L ASAT ruined everything.   :lol:

Just bring on the comments.  OT posts are better than none.

Also, there is this mastering engineer I met through Harmony Central who might want to join the shootout. 

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »
duuhhh, i dunno ask rip rowan  :lol:  so many numbers, so little time no?

http://moozeek.de/mirrors/articles/over_the_limit.htm

anyway ive seen this happen. ive recorded some transients over 0dbfs thinking i MUST redo the parts... but i couldnt hear the distortion ... hmmmm...  maybe i need new ears ...

During tracking, if you do minimal clipping, say a kick drum going a bit over the limit, the distortion will not be that noticeable since the transient is so fast.  Even if you zoom into the waveform (where the clipped section seems squared off) you'd notice that the cursor glides through it so fast that you'd hardly notice the distortion. 

However, when the signal clips too often, that is when things go wrong.    You'll also be subject to fatigue.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »

anyway ive seen this happen. ive recorded some transients over 0dbfs thinking i MUST redo the parts... but i couldnt hear the distortion ... hmmmm...  maybe i need new ears ...

During tracking, if you do minimal clipping, say a kick drum going a bit over the limit, the distortion will not be that noticeable since the transient is so fast.  Even if you zoom into the waveform (where the clipped section seems squared off) you'd notice that the cursor glides through it so fast that you'd hardly notice the distortion. 

However, when the signal clips too often, that is when things go wrong.    You'll also be subject to fatigue.

oh right right that's it.  was looking for that yesterday.  well  youre right.  better safe than sorry.  hey i have an idea.  maybe we should all print this rip rowan article and hand them out to all the people who walk into our studios.   :-D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »

oh right right that's it.  was looking for that yesterday.  well  youre right.  better safe than sorry.  hey i have an idea.  maybe we should all print this rip rowan article and hand them out to all the people who walk into our studios.   :-D

Hazel, for the record, I have, and have always been educating people to recognize the value of dynamics. Maybe a bunch would grasp the idea, while the others would simply trash it.  It's no different than convincing your son/daughter that McDonald's and Jollibee does not serve healthy food.  People buy things because it's in, because it's the common thing, because it is appealing at first glance.

So now, as a studio engineer, what do you do?  My answer to that is, to be flexible, and always having myself ready to butt heads; and in the end, if the artists wants to have it "their" way, then I'll do my best to give what they want. 

Notice that my mixes cloud up a bit around 250-600Hz?  That is inherently the "punchless mud" area.  But that is where mastering engineers should be compressing/cutting but at the same time not sacrificing dynamics as much.  Since the dawn of loudness mastering I already gave up on mixing thinking of the full range approach.  My answer to that is bordering on mud so that when things are pumped up in mastering, HINDI MANIPIS.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »

Hazel, for the record, I have, and have always been educating people to recognize the value of dynamics. Maybe a bunch would grasp the idea, while the others would simply trash it.  It's no different than convincing your son/daughter that McDonald's and Jollibee does not serve healthy food.  People buy things because it's in, because it's the common thing, because it is appealing at first glance.

So now, as a studio engineer, what do you do?  My answer to that is, to be flexible, and always having myself ready to butt heads; and in the end, if the artists wants to have it "their" way, then I'll do my best to give what they want. 

Notice that my mixes cloud up a bit around 250-600Hz?  That is inherently the "punchless mud" area.  But that is where mastering engineers should be compressing/cutting but at the same time not sacrificing dynamics as much.  Since the dawn of loudness mastering I already gave up on mixing thinking of the full range approach.  My answer to that is bordering on mud so that when things are pumped up in mastering, HINDI MANIPIS.

well good to know you impart the right values to your clients.

all the things you said about mixing though ... hmmm ... i have to admit ... i dont get it.  sorry.  you mean you purposely put the mud there for the mastering engineer?  sorry if my feeble brain can't catch up.  i havent really worked with a mastering engineer before but as far as i know i have to make my mix as clear and as articulate as possible almost leaving nothing for the mastering engineer to do but raise the volume to a more "commercial" level.  i mean if he finds a better version of the mix then great for both of us.  but i will not put mud there to keep my mix from "thinnning" out during the mastering stage.  i have to asusme that a good mastering engineer would not ruin my mix that way.  parang mga doktor dapat sila, first do no harm.  diba?  im sure my mix can still improve in thousands of ways and maybe the best thing to do is to communicate to the mastering engineer what i think my mix lacks in the first place.  or leave a buffer somewhere.  when i first sent my mix to shinji, he said it was a little dark, which i thought would be great for the mastering engineer to work on.  anyway, i gave in to the temptation and finally applied a master buss eq (precision mastering eq), and voila ... it sounded nice right off the bat.  i could hear the wooden snap of the snare a lot better this time. in restrospect i didn't need to wait for the mastering engineer to make my mix sound satisfactory.  my values are still geared towards doing the best i could for the mix, starting at the tracking stage up to the mixing stage.  if i must slap a buss compressor and buss eq on the master channel then so be it :)

emily lazar is the mastering engineer and proprietress of one of new york's finest mastering houses. when asked about what kind of mix was best for mastering she answered "it should be deep, wide, and tall." 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 05:24:49 PM by starfugger »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »
uad cards, yeah!!! go go go baldo!!! haha, im really really contemplating on getting a third kaso parang abuso na.  haha.  if i ever do it would be pcie this time.

have you signed up for the UA newsletters? they have promos all the time for plugs and tradeins of older PCI cards for pcie. i took advantage of the pci offer and even got some nice vouchers.

I haven't found the need for a third UAD yet so ima lay off on that...however, with the trend of processor heavy plugs UA has been putting out so far, i dont know how long i can hold out.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »

have you signed up for the UA newsletters? they have promos all the time for plugs and tradeins of older PCI cards for pcie. i took advantage of the pci offer and even got some nice vouchers.

I haven't found the need for a third UAD yet so ima lay off on that...however, with the trend of processor heavy plugs UA has been putting out so far, i dont know how long i can hold out.

yeah i had vouchers too ... NGGGRRRRR! haha! the new plugs are so DSP hungry that i thought it would be insane to get them without getting another hardware.  abyss, helios69 sounds so pretty on bass  :cry: and i really like the la2a+la3a combo  :cry: plus i really appreciated the 88RS on acoustic guitars  :cry: plus the neve 1081 is just killer  :cry: tomorrow my carriage turns into a pumpkin.  demo expiration day  :cry:  :lol:  :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »

yeah i had vouchers too ... NGGGRRRRR! haha! the new plugs are so DSP hungry that i thought it would be insane to get them without getting another hardware.  abyss, helios69 sounds so pretty on bass  :cry: and i really like the la2a+la3a combo  :cry: plus i really appreciated the 88RS on acoustic guitars  :cry: plus the neve 1081 is just killer  :cry: tomorrow my carriage turns into a pumpkin.  demo expiration day  :cry:  :lol:  :-D
[/quote]

you're right. they do take a lot of DSP power. i picked up the helios, 88RS and 1081 after demoing them. i was sold on them things within a couple of days. i left off the la2a and la3a since i have the hardware versions so if i can save the DSP power for something else, I will.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »

i keep listening to damone.  they sound HUGE.  HUGE.  i just love that wall of guitar sound, the punch on the drums, the way their vocals perfectly fit the mix.  darn.  how do they do that?!?!?!  butter smooth but bites you straight in the neck.  think pitbulll, not vampire.  :-D

anyway, i think there is only so much a mastering engineer can do.  but i wonder how much of their music's magic came from the mastering engineer and how much came from the mixer ;)  seeing the differences in skunk's masters 1 2 and 3 clearly shows that mastering has a MAJOR effect on the mix. 

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2007, 07:29:16 PM »
Hazel, sinong Damone? Vic Damone?  :-D :-D :-D... OT na talaga.. pero ito ang OT na alang bayad.
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »
Hazel, sinong Damone? Vic Damone?  :-D :-D :-D... OT na talaga.. pero ito ang OT na alang bayad.

:lol:

hindi.  banda yon. babae vocalist.  trip sila ni wolf gemora na nirecommend sa kastigo na nirocmmend sakin.  wala pa atang album dito sa pinas yon. ang galing ng tunog. 

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

all the things you said about mixing though ... hmmm ... i have to admit ... i dont get it.  sorry.  you mean you purposely put the mud there for the mastering engineer?  sorry if my feeble brain can't catch up.  i havent really worked with a mastering engineer before but as far as i know i have to make my mix as clear and as articulate as possible almost leaving nothing for the mastering engineer to do but raise the volume to a more "commercial" level.  i mean if he finds a better version of the mix then great for both of us.  but i will not put mud there to keep my mix from "thinnning" out during the mastering stage.  i have to asusme that a good mastering engineer would not ruin my mix that way.  parang mga doktor dapat sila, first do no harm.  diba?  im sure my mix can still improve in thousands of ways and maybe the best thing to do is to communicate to the mastering engineer what i think my mix lacks in the first place.  or leave a buffer somewhere.  when i first sent my mix to shinji, he said it was a little dark, which i thought would be great for the mastering engineer to work on.  anyway, i gave in to the temptation and finally applied a master buss eq (precision mastering eq), and voila ... it sounded nice right off the bat.  i could hear the wooden snap of the snare a lot better this time. in restrospect i didn't need to wait for the mastering engineer to make my mix sound satisfactory.  my values are still geared towards doing the best i could for the mix, starting at the tracking stage up to the mixing stage.  if i must slap a buss compressor and buss eq on the master channel then so be it :)

emily lazar is the mastering engineer and proprietress of one of new york's finest mastering houses. when asked about what kind of mix was best for mastering she answered "it should be deep, wide, and tall." 

First of all, here are some points I wanna raise:

1.  One man's (or in your case, woman's) warmth is another's mud.
2.  Monitoring environments vary so greatly that some can or cannot feel the warmth that boosting lower frequencies can do.
3.  Analog days are over, so that inherent fatness around the low mids and compression around 2KHz is not the thing anymore.  Ika nga, "2k is the new 10k".
4.  When I say "mud" up, what I really mean is fatten up the low mids because once you raise the volume to a more commercial level, what I notice is that the highs and high mids get more pronounced, but due to this loud mastering trend, a lot of lows and low mids get cut.

I do track WITH compression AND EQ, boosting around 250Hz and 500Hz because they seem to give a little buffer for the mastering process.  During mixing, I also add a tad more of those frequencies then send them to more soft-knee compression.  In the end, I hear the tracks more integrated, and not very separated. 

I also like to add: "MASTERING IS THE ART OF COMPROMISE..." - Bob Katz

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2007, 01:08:48 PM »

First of all, here are some points I wanna raise:

1.  One man's (or in your case, woman's) warmth is another's mud.
2.  Monitoring environments vary so greatly that some can or cannot feel the warmth that boosting lower frequencies can do.
3.  Analog days are over, so that inherent fatness around the low mids and compression around 2KHz is not the thing anymore.  Ika nga, "2k is the new 10k".
4.  When I say "mud" up, what I really mean is fatten up the low mids because once you raise the volume to a more commercial level, what I notice is that the highs and high mids get more pronounced, but due to this loud mastering trend, a lot of lows and low mids get cut.

I do track WITH compression AND EQ, boosting around 250Hz and 500Hz because they seem to give a little buffer for the mastering process.  During mixing, I also add a tad more of those frequencies then send them to more soft-knee compression.  In the end, I hear the tracks more integrated, and not very separated. 

I also like to add: "MASTERING IS THE ART OF COMPROMISE..." - Bob Katz

now i get your point, BUT the question is ... why boost the low mids ... can't the mastering engineer do that too?  it would be nice to have a mastering engineer in the forum wouldn't it?  must we really send muddy/warm mixes to you guys so you have a decent amount of buffer to work with?  am i being naive to think that a mastering engineer does not have a fixed template for all the mixes that fall on his lap?  say your mix is warm and mine is shrill, would he not treat our tracks differently?

i personally have a problem with the low mids and i find that BOOSTING it alone is not the solution (now i am only talking about MY recording system).  i am still searching for some way to get that kind of analog warmth ever present in mr angee's work.  it probably will take a very very long time or a lot of DSP power.  but im placing my bet on technology.  it won't be many years from now i think. 

i don't get that whole 2k is the new 10k thing sorry. 

to compliment your attention to the low-mid frequencies, i do like the chugga chugga guitars in the stanza parts.  master 3 took out that mid-range edge on the guitars and made it gentler to the ears.  but the bass was almost totally cancelled out, thanks to the stereo enhancement.  why? the bass was too low or indistinct to begin with.  you can hardly make out the notes even on masters1 and 2.  perhaps it would be a good way to bring out the low/low-mids mids via the bass guitar as well? 

anyway, these are just suggestions.  i don't claim to be master of anything here.  just going by what i hear. 

good luck and have fun with it :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:41:01 PM by starfugger »