hulika

Author Topic: ALUMINUM CASE AND LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline QBERT (BERT QUITEVEZ)

ALUMINUM CASE AND LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM?
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:24:40 PM »
IS IT NECESSARY TO USE AN ALUMINUM CASE AND LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM FOR OVERCLOCKING?
I'M PLANNING TO OVERCLOCK MY CPU, AND I WOULD LIKE TO SPEED UP MY CPU TO THE MAX!!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:26:19 PM by QBERT (BERT QUITEVEZ) »
IT'S NOT THE NUMBER OF STRINGS YOU PUT IN THE MUSIC BUT IT'S THE MUSIC YOU PUT INTO THOSE NUMBER OF STRINGS! (YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: ALUMINUM CASE AND LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Try reading this first so that you know what you are getting into.

You can get by with aircooling but you need sufficient crossflow of air thru the case to be effective. Heatpiped HSFs are often an effective aircooling system, the Big Typhoon, Freezer Pro, and CM GeminII are good examples. Also note that ram, the voltage regulators, chipset and vidcard may impose additional cooling requirements during overclocking, then there are the HDs that run hot. There are watercooling kits that cool the chipset and vidcard, someone also recently released heatpipe coolers for ram. Note that watercooling also imposes its own set of problems such as potential leakage and algal infestation. Additional fans also mean a higher noise environment, you might have to look for high cfm, low rpm fams to abate the fan noise. If you think fan noise is a non-issue, try living with a Volcano 6+ for a year.

Aluminum cases are not exactly necessary if you have good internal airflow, though the heat transference of aluminum is quite good. More often than not, ambient temps play an important role in cooling overclocked systems since even watercooling still relies on air to cool the radiator. An additional note is to replace your power supply with a more powerful one when OCing; generic psu's will just not do.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire