hulika

Author Topic: GRETSCH Drums thread  (Read 77316 times)

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: GRETSCH Drums thread
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »
You we're at stage right diba? Kami sa left... It was the blue Nighthawk that was set up there. I think the drumkits came from JB mismo. Kaya nakaparada sa likod yung container van with the picture of Vic . Exile was the one who provided the sound system. Nagpahiram lang ng konting gamit yung PMX.  I believe the Gretsch kits that PMX has are all Renown kits (Natural Maple and Green Marine Pearl)... and a Vinnie Colaiuta Signature kit!!! (which can be seen used by Mark Escueta in their 'Bandila' video)

Nung Muziklaban 3 days before Myx Mo!, the two Gretsch Renown kits were set-up at the Marikina Sports Complex... Grabe... Nabugbog yung mga yun... The whole day binabakbak e...

Naawa ako...

Oo bro sa right ako! Iniintay nga kita sabi ni Allan 9pm pa daw kyo. Nighthawk ba yun? Kala ko Renown? Ganda ng kulay eh. Onga pala pare pinakita ni Zach yung Worldmax from MarvsQ pare ang ganda!! Hehehhe!! Ay OT Gretsch thread nga pala to! Hehehe

@Sir Eleven

The two are good kits pero if i were you, dagdag lang nang onti then go for Gretsch Catalina Ash or Pearl Exports.

Well as of gretsch Mas warm sound nya compared to Pearls IMHO. Kasi Gretsch's shells are thinner than Pearl's. Warmer mas easier to tune in small venue settings.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline treb 821

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »
I agree with Sir Sandy, I got my Catalina Ash more than a month ago and it sounds pretty good, stock heads pa yun pero na re seat ko na.

Catalina Ash is still advantageous compared sa Pearl Export in terms of the wood since poplar/basswood lang yun Export while yung Ash is a higher quality wood and it is the emerging wood being used for musical instruments in North America, even the higher end kits of DDrums has started using the Ash wood for their shells.

Offline eleven

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 10:21:19 PM »
@ sandy = thanks bro, kaya pala mas marami akong nababasa na magaganda na comments/reviews ng gretsch drums, at maganda din yung mga stands na kasama sa kit.

@ treb = salamat din bro for your advice.

ipon muna ako ng konti, tapos testing2x muna kung magugustuhan ko ang tunog ng gretsch drums.

salamat guys!

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 11:24:34 PM »
Eto lang advice ko sa mga bibile ng kit.

1. Consider the Brand. Trip mo ba yung Brand? Or nagustuhan mo lang kasi sha lang yung swak sa budget mo? Kasi actually you're buying the brand name. Your buying the quality and craftmanship. Will you buy a much cheaper no name brand over Catalina Maple? If so are you confident with your purchase? So choose the brand you like. It's like you're wearing a Michael Jordan Jersey over a Purok kwatro Jersey when playing basketball.

2. Consider your Budget. Study the Margin.Example a generic kit with brass cymbals costs 14k then a sonor 505 with brass cymbals 18k. Do you think the 4k margin is worth it? Kung malapit lang eh bakit hindi na lang yung Sonor kunin mo diba?

3. Your purchase should be for long term. Hindi ba dapat ganun?

Anu paba? :mrgreen:
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2007, 02:26:35 AM »
Eto lang advice ko sa mga bibile ng kit.

1. Consider the Brand. Trip mo ba yung Brand? Or nagustuhan mo lang kasi sha lang yung swak sa budget mo? Kasi actually you're buying the brand name. Your buying the quality and craftmanship. Will you buy a much cheaper no name brand over Catalina Maple? If so are you confident with your purchase? So choose the brand you like. It's like you're wearing a Michael Jordan Jersey over a Purok kwatro Jersey when playing basketball.

2. Consider your Budget. Study the Margin.Example a generic kit with brass cymbals costs 14k then a sonor 505 with brass cymbals 18k. Do you think the 4k margin is worth it? Kung malapit lang eh bakit hindi na lang yung Sonor kunin mo diba?

3. Your purchase should be for long term. Hindi ba dapat ganun?

Anu paba? :mrgreen:

the sound..... which i believe is most important... ;-)  (I can still hear the sound of my dream drums in my ears and keeps me awake at night wondering when I'll be able to justify buying it :-) )

as for clothes, i guess medyo weird ako kasi i always go for comfort than brand (at the risk of being baduy)... usually, sa akin, function over form... pero syepre, iba ang "comfort" sa drums :-)

one more thing to consider -- which is also very important -- after sales support for the product... yung tipong kapag nagkaproblema ka eh alam mong may mapupuntahan ka at matutulungan ka...

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »

the sound..... which i believe is most important... ;-)  (I can still hear the sound of my dream drums in my ears and keeps me awake at night wondering when I'll be able to justify buying it :-) )

as for clothes, i guess medyo weird ako kasi i always go for comfort than brand (at the risk of being baduy)... usually, sa akin, function over form... pero syepre, iba ang "comfort" sa drums :-)

one more thing to consider -- which is also very important -- after sales support for the product... yung tipong kapag nagkaproblema ka eh alam mong may mapupuntahan ka at matutulungan ka...

You're right bro but come to think of it, you can't have the full sound of the drum kung sa store mopa sha kukunin so what's possible is check the components 1st then read reviews about it.

Anyways watch out guys coz Sir Jecster might get a Gretsch Virign Bass Drums!! Saya nun!

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 02:52:27 PM »
Post ko lang yung New Gretsch Kit ko! Hehehe

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 03:13:02 PM »
OT: jb has been bringing in a lot of new stuff... naalala ko dati I was told by jb staff na magpapasok sila ng separate fernando drums, toms, basses and snares... whatever happened to that?
matututo kaya ako magdrums? kelan kaya iyon...

need gear: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28593

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »
Meron diba?

Fernando Released 8" and 10" Concert toms years ago pa and shempre mawawala ba yung Fernando Snares? Siguro Bassdrums lang ang wala.

But i heard Sir Jecster will bring Gretsch Add ons. I'll ask him.

Offline eleven

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 11:27:26 PM »
ang ganda naman ng drums mo bro sandy, tanong ko lang bakit isa lang ang floor tom? nakita ko kasi sa website ng jb music na dalawa yung floor tom. dba 6 piece yun dapat?.

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2007, 11:47:15 PM »

You're right bro but come to think of it, you can't have the full sound of the drum kung sa store mopa sha kukunin so what's possible is check the components 1st then read reviews about it.

Anyways watch out guys coz Sir Jecster might get a Gretsch Virign Bass Drums!! Saya nun!

medyo malaking pera din ang drums so talagang research.. aside from reading reviews, I try to search sa forums, read about other "real owner's " reviews, look for videos sa youtube (trying to analyze how it was recorded), watching other artists with the sets they have and use...

it would really be nice kung masusubukan ng prospective buyer ang drums.. sa US, you can try whatever you want to buy... kaya alam mo kaagad if that is the sound that you are looking for (of course, you'll need to consider the room acoustics where the set is placed and ung tuning). For me, napakaraming oras ang  binibigay ko in looking for the set/sound I want.. kaya eto, hanggang ngayon, wala pa rin talagang set kasi hindi ko pa nasusubukan / naririnig in person ung ibang sets na kinokonsider ko... hirap din kasi na pag nabili ko na ung set tapos biglang narinig ko ung isa na nasa listahan ko na hindi ko narinig, laking pagsisisi non :-)

ayos, virgin bass drum :-) I myself would like to have a virgin bass drum on the kit para at least kahit paano sigurado ako na walang pressure na na-aaply sa kanya that would cause an out of round drum shell :-)

Offline treb 821

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
Gretsch virgin bass drums, sana sooner than we expect!  Gretsch Drums is really proving their worth, I saw last Saturday the Myx Mo Concert on cable, Gretsch Kits nga ginamit, Catalina Birch and if I am not mistaken a Blackhawk EX, though I'm not sure, sabi ni Sir Dindin Nighthawk daw.  The point is more than 50 acts played that night and surely binakbakan nila yung dalawang kits, and it sounded really good!

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »
Gretsch virgin bass drums, sana sooner than we expect!  Gretsch Drums is really proving their worth, I saw last Saturday the Myx Mo Concert on cable, Gretsch Kits nga ginamit, Catalina Birch and if I am not mistaken a Blackhawk EX, though I'm not sure, sabi ni Sir Dindin Nighthawk daw.  The point is more than 50 acts played that night and surely binakbakan nila yung dalawang kits, and it sounded really good!

You're right! Blackhawk brad! Grabe ilang taon na DW laging gamit sa mga malalaking events like that yun pala kaya na nang mga Midrange kits yung job!
Buhay na buhay yung mga kits brad! Yun kasi gamit ko sa isang Banda ko (Jaco Benin) when we played sa Eastwood last friday. Meron pang isang kit dun na YAMAHA kung san dun na pwesto yung set namin ni ACEL pero out of respect sa Sponsor(JB MUSIC) eh tinakpan ko yung Logo! Hehehehe.

Eto yung Gretsch na Kit kaso natakpan ako ng Guitarista
<a href=http://greatgenius10.multiply.com/photos/photo/79/37>DSCN2665.JPG</a>
Eto no bias ah. Pare Head to head, you'll never go wrong with Grestch. That's why i stick Gretsch brad. Our Studio Kit is a Maple Gretsch, My house kit is a Gretsch, Our churches are upgrading to Gretsch. May mga bars na nag upgrade to Gretsch. PMX Has Gretsch (Renowns and Colaiuta Sigs), 19 east has Colaiuta's kit and still counting. Parang premonition nung 90's where kahit san ka mag punta puro Pearl Exports makikita mo, but now halos puro Gretsch na makikita mo.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:37:31 PM by sandythedrummer »

Offline treb 821

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007, 07:38:19 AM »
It was really impressive seeing the two gretsch kits being played, it just proves that Gretsch mid level kits can withstand pounding and still sound great.  Imagine the difference in price of the DW's which they used to play in this kind of events.  Gretsch lang pala katapat...hehehe!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
OT virgin bass drum question:

bakit kailangan maging virgin yung bass drum kung bubutasan mo rin naman yung front head?

:-D

para di naman OT masyado: i used a blackhawk sa gig last friday its surprisingly easy to tune at open sounding kahit stock heads. happy ako sa tunog. comment ko lang, masyado ata mahal dahil di naman kagandahan yung hardware na kasama but still impressive sound-wise

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »
Pero sana i-redesign yung mga tom mounts ng Catalina Maples. Parang di ko type...  :-D

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
OT virgin bass drum question:

bakit kailangan maging virgin yung bass drum kung bubutasan mo rin naman yung front head?

:-D

para di naman OT masyado: i used a blackhawk sa gig last friday its surprisingly easy to tune at open sounding kahit stock heads. happy ako sa tunog. comment ko lang, masyado ata mahal dahil di naman kagandahan yung hardware na kasama but still impressive sound-wise

Pare! Tol mejo Mahal yung Blackhawk na made in Taiwan. Kung titingnan mo eh maganda yung Taiwanese made Gretsch. Kaya nga lumipat sila ng makers sa China to somehow lower the price. And the New Blackhawks doesn't have the 5600's Gibraltars anymore pero there are few upgrades. Naka GTS mounting na sha same as the Catalinas and Steel snare na Maganda IMO.

Offline dreamtheaterfan66f

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
wow ano sukat nyan sir sandy?6.5 deep ba yan?

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »
Diko nasipat. Baka 6 or 6.5 in deep. Never the less, Asteeg sha pag nakita mo in person :mrgreen:

Offline dreamtheaterfan66f

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
ganda nga e, my bnebenta yan separate?snare lng?

Offline MEGaKewl

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2007, 02:38:29 PM »
Question to sir Jecster:

Meron ba binebenta ang JB na expansion toms ng blackhawk? as in 8' halimbawa 16' and pede ba pumili ng kulay?
_____________________________________________<br I am MEGATRON!

Offline mariahcarey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2007, 08:47:48 PM »
sa JB they have the black hawk...and they have those parts...kc i have my set dn..which is gretsch..nga lng..d series is catalina ash..i bought all the parts needed @ jb..un..nga lng..medyo expensive sia....hardwares like gibraltar....bzta sa jb ka bumili..ng parts u needed

Welcome to Pinoydrums!
Please read our Forum Guidelines
NO TXT spelling in the entire website please.

Thank you and enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:08:20 PM by Akira JUMBO »

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2007, 12:27:55 AM »
Ganda ng New Classics, may sample dati sa site ng MD nung nireview nila! At mura pa benta ng JB dito!  Tapat nila mga online stores sa US pagdating sa price ng new classics

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »
Ganda ng New Classics, may sample dati sa site ng MD nung nireview nila! At mura pa benta ng JB dito!  Tapat nila mga online stores sa US pagdating sa price ng new classics

Really? How much yun sir? I didn't know JB had New Classics. Renown yung pinaka-high end na nasa website nila.

Offline Jecster25

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
Please call Park Square 1 branch for details. 8153949