hulika

Author Topic: Guthrie Govan appreciation thread  (Read 107137 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guthrie Govan appreciation thread
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »
Not liking the bridge at all  :-(  Maybe an Ibanez SynchroniZR bridge would look good on his Charvel.

They look fine on that particular Charvel. GG was after the classic or generation one Floyd Rose, thus, the bridge. I, too, love Ibanez's SynchroniZR. But, for me, a real Floyd still has quite the upper-hand when it comes to stability and sturdiness. The Wilkinson VS100 would also be a great substitute, though. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dq-G5qzf8Y
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:13:18 AM by guitarwiz02 »
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline mojoefly

• Veteran Member
« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
GG was after the classic or generation one Floyd Rose, thus, the bridge. I, too, love Ibanez's SynchroniZR. But, for me, a real Floyd still has quite the upper-hand when it comes to stability and sturdiness. The Wilkinson VS100 would also be a great substitute, though. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dq-G5qzf8Y
  Definitely the Floyd is more stable.  Hopefully the Charvel is closer to the guitar he has always envisioned and heard in his head. Suhr most likely had limitations so as to keep things uniform. Specifically the gotoh bridges. Since Guthrie obviously had the freedom and time to experiment with all his proto's, I am sure we are gonna get a great sounding and versatile guitar. I will get one when I come into terms with that Floyd bridge. I do have his Suhr sig and I can definitely say that the 510 bridge is not perfectly stable. So I'm sure that's the reason he opted for a truly more stable bridge. I guess I  just don't want to see old school appointments on a modern guitar. But hey, we do know the design has never changed because it does work  :)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:56:30 AM by mojoefly »

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #452 on: January 24, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »
  Definitely the Floyd is more stable.  Hopefully the Charvel is closer to the guitar he has always envisioned and heard in his head. Suhr most likely had limitations so as to keep things uniform. Specifically the gotoh bridges. Since Guthrie obviously had the freedom and time to experiment with all his proto's, I am sure we are gonna get a great sounding and versatile guitar. I will get one when I come into terms with that Floyd bridge. I do have his Suhr sig and I can definitely say that the 510 bridge is not perfectly stable. So I'm sure that's the reason he opted for a truly more stable bridge. I guess I  just don't want to see old school appointments on a modern guitar. But hey, we do know the design has never changed because it does work  :)

True. Guthrie, actually, had pointed that out quite a few times in some of his live performances. John Suhr should've just slapped-in a VS100 on GG's signature 'coz in my oipinion, the Wilkinson VS100 is waaayyy stable and better than the 510s.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline mojoefly

• Veteran Member
« Reply #453 on: January 24, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
True. Guthrie, actually, had pointed that out quite a few times in some of his live performances. John Suhr should've just slapped-in a VS100 on GG's signature 'coz in my oipinion, the Wilkinson VS100 is waaayyy stable and better than the 510s.
ya agree. The Wilkinson would have been a better choice  :) 

Offline jovanlorenz_torres

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #454 on: March 31, 2014, 06:04:24 AM »

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #456 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
He might be coming soon https://www.facebook.com/thearistocratsmanila/posts/829672617061288

for what i've heard from a friend, Hard Rock Cafe will be the venue of this event...

intimate night with GG...
To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline klaide92

« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »
Wow .. Guthrie Govan fan here.  :wave:  And also Alex Hutchings. Two fantastic guitarists for me. I wonder how will it sound like if they jam together.  :-D

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #458 on: March 31, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
Wow .. Guthrie Govan fan here.  :wave:  And also Alex Hutchings. Two fantastic guitarists for me. I wonder how will it sound like if they jam together.  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuZmW6a0USc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL3i2sn-2fA

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #459 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
It makes me drool when I see superstrats with less pointy headstock, that is, strat-type headstock to be specific.

I also admire the caramelized maple fretboard!   :drool:  :cry:
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline klaide92

« Reply #460 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuZmW6a0USc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL3i2sn-2fA

Oh .. I think 2nd video was a good conversation O_O .. but probably not the best jam yet, hahaha

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
ITS OFFICIAL. ITS HAPPENING. AUGUST 15!!!!!!1!!! :drool:
https://www.facebook.com/thearistocratsmanila

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #462 on: April 11, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »

Offline politicalparty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »
Official na ba na magto-tour sila sa Pinas?
"Like a mermaid falling into a black hole."

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2014, 04:12:49 AM »
Yup official. They'll pass by for a concert and band masterclass. Video message by guthrie will be posted, theyre just busy as of the moment wrapping up the european tour

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »
Nasa magkano din kaya ang ticket?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #467 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »
Goodnessgraciousgreatballsofmine! Kita-kits dito! At long last!

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #468 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
Guys, it's happening! Here's the official announcement from the band members themselves! :)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
Guys, it's happening! Here's the official announcement from the band members themselves! :)

Yezzzzz! I cancelled my out-of-the-country trip just for this! See yah, guys! :razz:

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #470 on: April 23, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
It makes me drool when I see superstrats with less pointy headstock, that is, strat-type headstock to be specific.

I also admire the caramelized maple fretboard!   :drool:  :cry:

same here, i dig those san dimas charvels and now this! amazing!

are the tickets available already?  :?
AMMK!!!

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #471 on: April 23, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »
Guys, pa post naman kung nasa magkano yung ticket at ng mapag-ipunan namin. Hehehe.  :)
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline ejecruz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #472 on: April 24, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »

HAHAHA.. panalo to... see you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joshua 1:8

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Offline electromark

• Veteran Member
« Reply #473 on: April 25, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »
 :cry: :cry: gusto ko manood. magkano kaya ticket?

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #474 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
50 to 60 dollars daw yung ticket. Hard Rock Cafe, Makati yung venue but still subject to change with prior notice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:15:11 PM by tonwins11 »
Do-it-yourself tirada!