hulika

Author Topic: Do it yourself guitar setup/intonation  (Read 11008 times)

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do it yourself guitar setup/intonation
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »
no problemo senor! :-D

napaisip tuloy ako,

gano kadalas nyo i-intonate ang gitara nyo?

only when needed  :wink:
This is a forum siggy.

Offline yurinal

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 02:39:29 AM »
master grasyaps di na ko manonood ng telenovela dito na lang ako, very informative, parang ating alamin ni gerry geronimo, ang lupet!

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Once in a blue moon!   :lol:

Di naman ako papalit-palit ng string gauge these days.  Ok pa naman eh.

so kung pag check siguro after a week hindi na ulit naka-intonate may problema po ba sa truss rod yung gitara?

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 05:58:14 PM »
so kung pag check siguro after a week hindi na ulit naka-intonate may problema po ba sa truss rod yung gitara?
Nawawala kaagad sa intonation?  Baka kaka-adjust mo lang ng trussrod (remember we have to let it settle)?  Or bad neck (poor wood that deforms easily)?

The thing is, intonation is about varying the length of the string from nut to bridge saddle.  So yes, it could be a neck thing (trussrod), because it affects the scale length, although minor lang, since maliit lang curvature ng guitar neck.

Let's see what the others have to say also.  Not too sure what causes your problem.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »
ituloy natin ang ating alamin section heheheh

tama si siore about intonation. to be intonated, your OCTAVES should be, well, an OCTAVE.

for example, your open E, when fretted on the 12th fret should give you the exact same E (mi) note on the higher octave. if there is a difference, then youre guitar is not properly intonated.

as mr siore said, "... intonation is about varying the length of the string from nut to bridge saddle"

let me do a simple illustration:

SAY this is an intonated E string.

NUT_____________________/________________________SADDLE                        open E                            E (12th fret)

it will be sharp (#) if you bring the saddle closer to the nut.

NUT_____________________/____________________SADDLE
open E                           #E(12)

it will be flat (b) if you bring the saddles farther to the nut.

NUT_____________________/__________________________________SADDLE.
open E                           bE(12)

GETS?

so if youre in tune on the open E string, and fretting it in the 12th fret gives you a note below E, you need to sharp (#) it so you bring the saddles closer to the nut.

vice versa, if your open E string in tune, then gives you a note above E, you need to flat (b) it so you bring the saddles farther from the nut.

you see the screws that go thru the saddles, behind your electric guitar bridge butt? n(strats, teles... traditional bridge constructions)

turn it clockwise to flat (b) it. because youre bringing the saddle close to the bridge butt, farther away from the nut.

turn it counter-clockwise to sharp (#) it. because you are bringing it farther from the bridge butt, towards the nut.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
FOR LES PAULS with TUNE O MATIC BRidges, do the opposite! because the screws are oriented that when you turn clockwise, you bring saddle closer to nut. counter brings it father.

now how do you know how much?

tanchan. but to lessen the repeating the process, use wise estimates. depends sa tuner mo.

whether its the TUNE HAND tuner or it utilizes leds, you could make a wise estimate how far you are from the SWEET SPOT.

ex. you fret the e string on the 12th fret...

b0 - 0 - 0 - X - E - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0#

X meaning the LED lit up.

so means your string is flat (b). so you need to___________?

you need to bring the saddle closer to the nut to sharp it.

contra-contra yan., if its flat, sharp it. sharp? flat it.

so you turn the screw ___________ wise?

counter-clockwise. start with half a revolution of the screw. and see. from there you could start to have a feel how much the intonation changes with every turn. if you ask me, you just have to do it again and again.

so now that saddle is a bit closer to the nut.

your open E string will be out of tune after doing so because the tension changed.

so retune your open E then try the 12th fret again. if its still sharp, repeat process. if its flat, sumobra ka na. now you have to take the saddle a step back by turning the screw the opposite way... clockwise to bring it away from the nut.

repeat process til you find the open E '"rymes" with the fretted E on the 12th.

do the same thing with other strings.

now on the question whether its better to do the OPEN note or the harmonic equivalent...

you see, there is what you call ATTACK and SUSTAIN.

attack is the immediate moment after you pluck the string.

sustain is the note it holds after sometime it is plucked.

the tuner reading is sharper than the sustain. vice versa. why? because the tension is greater when you excert pressure on the string right after you pluck it. so right at the moment of attack, it tends to give a # reading. now while the string settles down, the sustain gives a flatter reading because of the dropping tension.

so how you going to tune? attack o sustain?

that is why experts suggest the HARMONIC. because the harmonic greatly reduces these factors in tuning.

o testing na!!!  :-D
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »
I adjusted my trussrod from yesterday thru today.  Medyo malaki na yung nakikita kong relief eh, and I just got myself a new set of strings (courtesy of crack123  :-D ), so I might as well set it up.

Kahapon, hinigpitan ko by 1/8 turn.  After roughly 24hours (11am yesterday, so about 8am kanina pwede na cguro!), I checked my relief again.  I'd like to try a straighter neck this time around, and I think kulang pa, so hinigpitan ko ulit by 1/8.  Then D & G strings back to their nut slots, tightened to standard pitch uli, then I check again.  It's looking good so far.  But let me get back to it and check again tomorrow.  Tapos isusunod ko na yung action tsaka intonation.

DIY rocks.   :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »
I'm a bit scared about tinkering with my truss rod. I wouldn't go there muna. So far ayos pa naman ang guitar ko. Nag-iba yung feel nya, pero sanayan lang. Many thanks sir grasyaps.

Offline elmusikero

• Netizen Level
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

tama si siore about intonation. to be intonated, your OCTAVES should be, well, an OCTAVE.

for example, your open E, when fretted on the 12th fret should give you the exact same E (mi) note on the higher octave. if there is a difference, then youre guitar is not properly intonated.

as mr siore said, "... intonation is about varying the length of the string from nut to bridge saddle"

NUT_____________________/________________________SADDLE                        open E                            E (12th fret)

GETS?

so if youre in tune on the open E string, and fretting it in the 12th fret gives you a note below E, you need to sharp (#) it so you bring the saddles closer to the nut.

vice versa, if your open E string in tune, then gives you a note above E, you need to flat (b) it so you bring the saddles farther from the nut.

you see the screws that go thru the saddles, behind your electric guitar bridge butt? n(strats, teles... traditional bridge constructions)

turn it clockwise to flat (b) it. because youre bringing the saddle close to the bridge butt, farther away from the nut.

turn it counter-clockwise to sharp (#) it. because you are bringing it farther from the bridge butt, towards the nut.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
FOR LES PAULS with TUNE O MATIC BRidges, do the opposite! because the screws are oriented that when you turn clockwise, you bring saddle closer to nut. counter brings it father.

tanchan. but to lessen the repeating the process, use wise estimates. depends sa tuner mo.

whether its the TUNE HAND tuner or it utilizes leds, you could make a wise estimate how far you are from the SWEET SPOT.

counter-clockwise. start with half a revolution of the screw. and see. from there you could start to have a feel how much the intonation changes with every turn. if you ask me, you just have to do it again and again.

your open E string will be out of tune after doing so because the tension changed.

so retune your open E then try the 12th fret again. if its still sharp, repeat process. if its flat, sumobra ka na. now you have to take the saddle a step back by turning the screw the opposite way... clockwise to bring it away from the nut.

now on the question whether its better to do the OPEN note or the harmonic equivalent...

the tuner reading is sharper than the sustain. vice versa. why? because the tension is greater when you excert pressure on the string right after you pluck it. so right at the moment of attack, it tends to give a # reading. now while the string settles down, the sustain gives a flatter reading because of the dropping tension.

that is why experts suggest the HARMONIC. because the harmonic greatly reduces these factors in tuning.

Ito na mismo yun...the reason we have to adjust string length is because, once we put pressure on the string, we tend to stretch it a bit and hence it will be slightly out of tune once pressed, that's why we compensate this event by adjusting the string length thru saddle adjustment. 

Basic steps in intonation:
1.  Tune the string to pitch.
2.  Check 12th fret harmonic it should be tuned to pitch
3.  Check the 12th fret fretted note.
4.  If the fretted note on the 12th fret is lower than the 12th fret harmonic, move the bridge saddles closer to the nut, if the fretted note is higher, move the saddles farther to the nut...move the saddles little by little, turning the screws in minimal rotations, take your time, don't rush. Once the 12th fret harmonic and the fretted note is in tune, you have attained perfect intonation...

in my eyes, i see a redhat...redhat...redhat...red hat red...hatred... hatred...hatred.

Offline mawts_gwaps

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 02:11:28 AM »
sir may tanong ako. what am i supposed to do pag todo na yung saddles pero flat parin ako?

parang hindi kasi nagbabago yung intonation eh. or may setting time ba yun?

thanks
"OUIDO", hindi "WIDOW"

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »
sir may tanong ako. what am i supposed to do pag todo na yung saddles pero flat parin ako?

parang hindi kasi nagbabago yung intonation eh. or may setting time ba yun?

thanks
Could be the tuner you're using bro.  Pag todo na yung saddles, paktay.   :-D

Pwede mo reverse pag tune-o-matic bridge.  From this:

|\

Babaliktarin para maging:

/|

Para may extra length ka.  Pero di ko pa na-try.  Hehehehe
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline mawts_gwaps

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 04:07:44 AM »
Could be the tuner you're using bro.  Pag todo na yung saddles, paktay.   :-D

Pwede mo reverse pag tune-o-matic bridge.  From this:

|\

Babaliktarin para maging:

/|

Para may extra length ka.  Pero di ko pa na-try.  Hehehehe

naka strat modern 2pt trem bridge ako sir.

pero ang weird dahil yung HIGH E string ko lang ang ganito. yung ibang strings, ok naman, sumusunod sa intonation if i adjust the saddles. pero sa HIGH E string, parang hindi sumusunod even if i adjust the saddles.. pero gumagalaw yung saddles. naka-todo na nga ngayon eh

has anybody encountered this? ano kaya ginagawa sa ganito?

and yeah, napansin ko yung HIGH E string ko, mas mababa ang string height compared sa other strings..

hala.. what to do.. what to do.. luthier na ba ito? :?
"OUIDO", hindi "WIDOW"

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »
naka strat modern 2pt trem bridge ako sir.

pero ang weird dahil yung HIGH E string ko lang ang ganito. yung ibang strings, ok naman, sumusunod sa intonation if i adjust the saddles. pero sa HIGH E string, parang hindi sumusunod even if i adjust the saddles.. pero gumagalaw yung saddles. naka-todo na nga ngayon eh

has anybody encountered this? ano kaya ginagawa sa ganito?

and yeah, napansin ko yung HIGH E string ko, mas mababa ang string height compared sa other strings..

hala.. what to do.. what to do.. luthier na ba ito? :?

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

tagal na pero buhayin natin!

i asked arie about this: does the saddle height affect the intonation? AND you know what he told me? NO. BECAUSE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE NUT AND THE SADDLES DIDNT CHANGE.

PERHAPS, YES. BUT I DISAGREE. BUT WHAT CAN A LOWLIFE LIKE ME SAY AGAINST THE MASTER?

I DISAGREE because:

1. my first inclination is derived from my knowledge of trigonometry. that as the angle of inclination is increased, it also increases the length of both the sides (triangle planes) adjacent to the angle which was increased and the one that is opposite to it.

vice versa, increasing the height of one side (plane), increases the angle opposite to it.

now in increasing the height of the saddle (PURPLE), you are in essence increasing;

a.the angle of inclination between the imaginaryfretboard plane ((YELLOW GREEN) which is, from the nut to the bottom of the saddle leveled to the top of your last fret) and the string plane (your string, BLUE GREEN) from nut to saddle top.
b. the string length.

hey, last time i heard, trigonometry was a proven science. cant argue with that, can we?

and 2nd reason why i disagree with arie was because, i've tried it. try it with your guitar. adjust saddle height and see if you can live with the sharpness in intonation. if you can and still play along, then you have to use a precise tuner so you can see it with your own eyes.

i know its only a miniscule value but it does affect the string length and inevitably, your intonation. this is true specially with acoustic guitars with higher tension strings. string tension multiplied by the string length equals to a value which can be felt by your hands and heard by your ears.

dont tell me its a negligible amount and agree with luthiers when they gauge string height by 2 decimals of a mm.

Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

tagal na pero buhayin natin!

i asked arie about this: does the saddle height affect the intonation? AND you know what he told me? NO. BECAUSE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE NUT AND THE SADDLES DIDNT CHANGE.

PERHAPS, YES. BUT I DISAGREE. BUT WHAT CAN A LOWLIFE LIKE ME SAY AGAINST THE MASTER?

I DISAGREE because:

1. my first inclination is derived from my knowledge of trigonometry. that as the angle of inclination is increased, it also increases the length of both the sides (triangle planes) adjacent to the angle which was increased and the one that is opposite to it.

vice versa, increasing the height of one side (plane), increases the angle opposite to it.

now in increasing the height of the saddle (PURPLE), you are in essence increasing;

a.the angle of inclination between the imaginaryfretboard plane ((YELLOW GREEN) which is, from the nut to the bottom of the saddle leveled to the top of your last fret) and the string plane (your string, BLUE GREEN) from nut to saddle top.
b. the string length.

hey, last time i heard, trigonometry was a proven science. cant argue with that, can we?

and 2nd reason why i disagree with arie was because, i've tried it. try it with your guitar. adjust saddle height and see if you can live with the sharpness in intonation. if you can and still play along, then you have to use a precise tuner so you can see it with your own eyes.

i know its only a miniscule value but it does affect the string length and inevitably, your intonation. this is true specially with acoustic guitars with higher tension strings. string tension multiplied by the string length equals to a value which can be felt by your hands and heard by your ears.

dont tell me its a negligible amount and agree with luthiers when they gauge string height by 2 decimals of a mm.

nice one! i've been wondering about this myself...
in theory, (assuming we're talking about ABSOLUTE values here) the fretted 12th will EXACTLY match the harmonic 12th if the nut, the bridge and the 12th FRET is the same height. other than that there will be a triangle that would create minute differences ... but thats not possible right? the bridge requires a certain elevation for the whole fretting system to work.
well, this is just theory. maybe someone here can give as the math for this?
by the way, i do my own intonation/truss rod etc...  and learned from trial and error. no busted neck yet from 5 guitars... i adjust it to the closest i can - meaning the tuner can probably hear the difference but i cant, - chances are no one in the audience can hear it too.. (unless someone out there carries a tuner that....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:51:15 PM by acidtest »
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
educational...
pag hindi sigurado at may takot... wag na galawin... no doubt  :lol:

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 12:31:23 AM »
Anyone tried doing their own fret leveling?  Or nut replacement?   :-)
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline rockman888

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 05:54:52 AM »
Kapag nag-setup ako ng guitars at intonation and action, naka tuner na at nakakabit sa amp para mababa ko yung action sa pinaka lowest.

*Lahat ng guitars ko may fret buzz* Except sa bass... :-)

Pero pag naka-amp na, walang buzz. Kasi naka-amp ako habang nag-sesetup. Syempre naka-off muna ang amp then on kung test na.

Pag Locking/floating tremolo like Lo-pro edge, edge 3 or any kind, hindi mo ma-adjust ang induvidual height kasi 2-point system db?

So, I add washers sa ilalim ng lock ng intonation. Aangat yon. (FLOYD ROSE is flat unlike Lo pro edge *btw meron na washers sa Lo pro edge, kasama talaga sa bridge). 

I do this kung hindi makuha "inside the box". I go "outside the box" sometimes.

Last:

Sa ngayon, refret palang ang napagawa ko. (3 frets sa luthier sa Sta Mesa for 350 rush pa from 1 pm - 3pm ok na)

Kailangan na madiskarte din tayo.Mahal sa luthier e. I want learn din sa iba. Keep posting...

Dito sa Olongapo may mga kapwa musikero nag-papaayos sa akin (ng guitara) pati mga musikero sa church.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
ang alam ko lang pagdating sa refretting, dapat alam mo kung anung type ng sandpaper gagamitin... dapat yung fine hehe  :-D

seriously, may nagsabi nga na dapat basic knowledge na ng mga gitarista ang makapag refret (which, i totally agree with)  :lol:

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
ang alam ko lang pagdating sa refretting, dapat alam mo kung anung type ng sandpaper gagamitin... dapat yung fine hehe  :-D

seriously, may nagsabi nga na dapat basic knowledge na ng mga gitarista ang makapag refret (which, i totally agree with)  :lol:

Offline elmusikero

• Netizen Level
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
in my eyes, i see a redhat...redhat...redhat...red hat red...hatred... hatred...hatred.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 02:16:30 AM »
Anyone tried doing their own fret leveling?  Or nut replacement?   :-)

me, i have tried nut replacement, nut filing, fret replacement, fret beveling, crowning, polishing, leveling

http://fretrefinishing.com/

never successfully painted one though  :lol:, but i have an ibby im willing to stain to see how it looks like,

also when doing intonation and tuning, roll of the tone knob, it helps even monteallums recommend that  :-)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 02:18:45 AM by bryanarzaga »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »
ang alam ko lang pagdating sa refretting, dapat alam mo kung anung type ng sandpaper gagamitin... dapat yung fine hehe  :-D

seriously, may nagsabi nga na dapat basic knowledge na ng mga gitarista ang makapag refret (which, i totally agree with)  :lol:

i agree with that too, good thing now i have the tools that make it easy and possible, the right brass hammer, fret puller, fret tang/nipper/cutter/, crowning files, thomas and genix fret level,pre crowner,polisher(cheapest tool ever), and steel wool(oh yes), i just borrow a bevel block fret filer sometimes(makes beveling alot faster),

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
may special tuner na ginagamit for intonation ba or chromatic lang ?

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »

GETS?

IMPORTANT NOTE:

sumaket ulo ko  :x daig pa mathematics

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
sir last question po kung ang harmonics in 12 fret ko ee flatted anu ang dapat kong gawin sa saddles ? i-attras or i-abante ?

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »
sir last question po kung ang harmonics in 12 fret ko ee flatted anu ang dapat kong gawin sa saddles ? i-attras or i-abante ?