hulika

Author Topic: playing it right or sounding right?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: playing it right or sounding right?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »
I prefer DOING it right.

IMHO, you don't have to nail the tone, or play the solo note for note.

You just have to do it right, and give justice to your interpretation of the song.
This is a forum siggy.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
playing it right or sounding right?
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
Glad to know that there are guitarists who remember that skills improvement should not take a back seat to gas. I believe that once you have acquired decent gears, you can no longer expect a significant improvement in tone unless you pair that with a major skills upgrade. I was guilty of this, gradually upgrading my gears, but too lazy to learn new things.

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
Glad to know that there are guitarists who remember that skills improvement should not take a back seat to gas. I believe that once you have acquired decent gears, you can no longer expect a significant improvement in tone unless you pair that with a major skills upgrade. I was guilty of this, gradually upgrading my gears, but too lazy to learn new things.
True, I can feel you too, when the GAS started, you`ll forget the things that you should learn, big regrets for knowing about gear and tone at my early age back then.
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline ejecruz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
Should be both... dapat malaman nang mga nakikinig (lalo na yung mga hindi musicians) na yung kanta na yun yung kino-cover mo..

Iba yung nag-cover ka nang song sa gumawa ka nung own version mo nung song....
Joshua 1:8

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
Playing it right and sounding as good as your gear can handle/produce.
"creeping deeaath"

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Minsan kailangan ng "right sound" para matugtog mo ng tama ex. kailangan sakto yung speed ng delay pag U2 songs ang cover.

All things taken into consideration mas appreciate ng audience yung tamang tipa kaysa magandang tone, so play right.
BLAH

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »

ako din, pag GAS ako, nawawala ang practice routine.  :eek:

Anyway, playing it right is the priority to me(I'm into details), copying the tone is just a bonus or afterwards.  :)

minsan dun ako nakakakuha ng style, phrasing, ideas, and different vibrato approach.

Offline Autoplay2009

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
IMO, you would sound right once you play it right. If you play a song (cover in particular), package dapat yung tamang notes at tamang tone to nail it. Otherwise, the song would just sound like your own 'version'.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

-2 Corinthians 5:17

Offline jhimmymatt

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Relate ako dito.for my opinion, in my skills of playing, meron laging limitasyon lalo sa pagcover ng solos.hirap ako sa speed. pero kung sa tonal medyo nakakahabol ako. before lumanog akustik lang gamit ko, mula ng matuto ako sa mga effects at analog at nagkaron ng purchasing power sa gear, lumawak ang experimentation at ang sarap pakiramdam kapag nakokopya mo mga tones..(e.g. Tom Morello, Greenday..etc.
At meron ako tropa na mahusay ang skills sa playing..pero poor sa timplahan. halos walang progress sa tonal skill in the years of playing. ewan ko baka kasi mas focused siya sa playing.so kelangan ko pa timplahan siya pag may jam session kame.

Sa tingin ko ,dapat laging balanse. 50/50.. to got it almost perfect.
--DOXOLOGIA 1914--