hulika

Author Topic: large address aware hack LAATIDO  (Read 3237 times)

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
large address aware hack LAATIDO
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:22:21 PM »
laatido => http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe

has anyone tried this?  my softsynths usually top out at 1.7 gigs in standalone.  feels like i've wasted ram.  i'm pretty sure my sequencer's large address aware.

by the way, emu patchmix rules! can run a standalone softsynth and route it back to my sequencer.  but i still use real midi cables to route midi between applications.  at least it's one way to maximize ram usage.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: large address aware hack LAATIDO
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »
but i still use real midi cables to route midi between applications.  at least it's one way to maximize ram usage.

Try experimenting with MidiOx's midi routing options. Kinda like the ol' Hubi's Midi Loopback but way more powerful, IMO.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »
Try experimenting with MidiOx's midi routing options. Kinda like the ol' Hubi's Midi Loopback but way more powerful, IMO.

midiox messes up my midi timing when im triggering my hardware sampler from cubase :x stutters (not the trendy bt kind), lags etc

hubi's never did that on my old k6II-450 machine, what to tweak?

[/threadjack]
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »
The thing that peeves me about Cubase is that it's great at processing audio but poor with midi, ever since they did the SX version. Part of the problem can be traced to those emulated ports (windows midi and direct music protocols) and how the midi interface hardware uses those protocols. Maybe the reason why they eliminated DX support in C4 in order to make midi timing tighter.

I've used MidiOx's midi routing briefly and it did what I wanted it to do. But I'm kinda spoiled in terms of midi I/O... got a total of 7 separate ports that I can access if I wanted to, and yet I'm going virtual more and more.  :|
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »
i hate to say it as sx is awesome, but i think youre right...ive been using cubase since 3.75 to v5, then now sx2 and i never noticed midi problems running external gear with the older versions...and my config before was really patched together with spit and mud

imagine an amd k6II450 with 128mb ram running cubase 5 triggering a hw sampler, a drum module and 2 analog synths, all chained via the "thru" ports through a midi joystick cable...smooth na smooth

but now sx2 on an amd 2000xp triggering ONE hw sampler...stagger city...granted im still using either the midi/joystick interface or the audiophile midi port...

so you think its cubase and not midiox?
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »
First time I fired up SL2 then played my keys, all played midi notes were bunched up at the first tick! After checking and updating ALL drivers, all my played midi notes were playing AHEAD of the beat. In other words, Cubase was recording all my notes BEFORE I even played them! Holy Midi Timewarp, Batman!!!

I picked up on the fix by going to Jay Levitt's site and using his Miditime utility. All this time, Sonar was chugging along and giving me no problems with midi. The only thing I didn't like at the time was that Sonar 4 did not mixdown properly (not a problem with Sonar 5 and 6). So I took a 2 pronged approach to midi recording, I would do midi in Sonar and track each individual synth as a wave file, then transfer the wavs to Cubase for final mixdown. Since the advent of the later Sonars, I saw no need to continue with the 2-pronged approach as mixdown was what I heard during playback.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »
Strange... I used miditime successfully with SL2. I was able to measure the amount of compensation to something like 48 samples IIRC.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »
Coffee, Vince... more coffee!!!  :lol:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
First time I fired up SL2 then played my keys, all played midi notes were bunched up at the first tick! After checking and updating ALL drivers, all my played midi notes were playing AHEAD of the beat. In other words, Cubase was recording all my notes BEFORE I even played them! Holy Midi Timewarp, Batman!!!

I picked up on the fix by going to Jay Levitt's site and using his Miditime utility. All this time, Sonar was chugging along and giving me no problems with midi. The only thing I didn't like at the time was that Sonar 4 did not mixdown properly (not a problem with Sonar 5 and 6). So I took a 2 pronged approach to midi recording, I would do midi in Sonar and track each individual synth as a wave file, then transfer the wavs to Cubase for final mixdown. Since the advent of the later Sonars, I saw no need to continue with the 2-pronged approach as mixdown was what I heard during playback.

yup. and you aren't alone. there has been a small exodus of longtime Cubase users going to Sonar for better integration of audio and midi. from the sound of the reports on the Cubasenet boards, people are finding it hard to maintain an allegiance to Steinberg because they are dropping the ball on so many levels...people say that C4 is worse than SX3 in stability. I haven't jumped ship because of my longtime usage of Steiny products........yet :evil: Good thing PT is chugging alone fine.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »
Well, I'm still a Cubase user especially where it comes to vst plugins. I like the way Cubase handles vst automation and in some cases, I will mix down a project in Cubase. It's only in midi that I feel a certain apprehension, even though I've already corrected the timing problem in Cubase. Sonar's midi timing has been rock solid for me, period! There are some things in terms of midi editing that I wish I could get from Cubase and integrate into Sonar and vice versa, but from the midi enhancements I hear are included in Sonar 7, I may not have to wish for that.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »
heeeeeyyyy.... i wasn't imagining things after all. yup, that's right, midi timing has started becoming an issue ever since sx1. and i've been using cubase since v.3 -- a little before vst came out. timing was very good back in those days .. v.3xt, which used together with my audiomedia 3.... although i should mention too that the timing has never been as stable as when i was sequencing on an mc500mk2.

... i might be revealing to much about my age than i would like to... haha. (should i even mention that i used to sequence on an mmt8?)
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============