hulika

Author Topic: Tower of Power Appreciation Thread  (Read 6298 times)

Offline Teja

• Forum Fanatic
Tower of Power Appreciation Thread
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »
Diadem and I were just chatting about this band and how influential they are to us...

I wanna know what you guys think of this band...their albums, songs, members, comments...

post away... :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:32:07 PM by Teja »
If cows could fly, would we still say "herd" or "flock" of cows?

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tower of Power Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:48:27 PM »
oh yes Tower of Power... oakland stroke was the first song ive ever heard, and was from a bass day 98 pirate dvd  :evil: ... from that song it was all good  :mrgreen:

its hard to get those 16th note in the pocket grooves... freakin hard  :x

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:01:40 PM »
sali din ako...  from the classic lineup in the 70's up to the present remaining originals...too bad yung dvd concert in germany did not have those classic songs pero pwede na rin... a rare glimpse to see them in action....

you're still a young man, what is hip?, sexy soul, souled out, below us city lights, how could this happen to me, a little knowledge... etc it goes on and on...

any musician should have at least an album or two of this group in his/her CD collection...  along of course with Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears...

roco prestia is in a league of his own...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:13:40 PM by 3650guy »
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline serpentboy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:28:02 PM »
Hey guys!

Bruce Conte was here in cebu 2 weeks ago and played with a local band (The BLues Bonanza) at a cool hangout, The Outpost. I was fortunate enough to jam with him in a blues number, Hoochie Coochie Man.

He did the lead gtr for about 10 songs - including Beep Beep and Yano's Banal na Aso!

What a night that was!!!  :mrgreen:

Offline bugoy_king

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:54:10 PM »
It's a must-listen for drummers and bassists who want to greatly improve their groove. Ang hirap ng mga ginagawa ni Garibaldi at Prestia sa ibang mga kanta nila, pero kahit mahirap, tight parin ang tugtugan nila.

I think I have most, if not all, of their albums (download lang  :evil:). Even if you listen to them everyday, you will always get new ideas.

Tower of Power isn't limited to drummers and bassists. All musicians would benefit from listening and/or studying their music.

Offline Teja

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:51:04 PM »
that is so very true my friend...

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 01:54:21 AM »
TOP is hip!

:mrgreen:
John 3:16

Offline Teja

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:01:22 AM »
TOP is hip!

...and as simple as that...mismo ka rodney!kayo nila jr!ahehehe

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 03:43:46 AM »
what is hip?

hehe .. actually masakit ang mga ballad ng top para sa aken.. kase nung time na nanliligaw ako, your still a young man soundtrip ko.. tapos ganon din nangyari saken parang yun kanta! haha.. pero steady yungbelow us all the city lights.. una ko atang napakinggan na top yun . soundtrip ko nung nakatira ako sa makati, call center days haha

you got to funkifize!

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:01:13 PM »
Yeah!  Soul..with a capital "S"!!!

I love the TOP!  three drummers have drummed for TOP and all of 'em were great.

The funk, the soul!  whoo!!

Ang ganda nun Soul Vaccination live!
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 03:13:35 PM »
Oh man!  Great topic!  I dig Tower Of Power too.  One of the funkiest, tightest, most soulful bands on earth.

David Garibaldi is one of the smoothest and grooviest drummers around.His technique is impeccable.  He should make it in Modern Drummer's Hall Of Fame soon (in my opinion, I think it's long overdue).

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
super!!! dave garibaldi is the best drummer ever lived  :mrgreen:

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 03:11:08 AM »
TOP is hip!

...and as simple as that...mismo ka rodney!kayo nila jr!ahehehe

thanks very much sir!  :-) 

i also dig their song "So Very Hard To Go"...i recall the days when things were so cool! the good 'ol days, the analog days...may mga plaka at stereo with turntable pa kami nun...at yung tv na rotary pa...at old school na telepono with a dial...so funky!  8-)

Offline cofibreyk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 10:51:52 AM »
Rocco slaps like hell! :-D he's groove drives me crazy!!!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 06:52:18 PM »
Hey guys!

Bruce Conte was here in cebu 2 weeks ago and played with a local band (The BLues Bonanza) at a cool hangout, The Outpost. I was fortunate enough to jam with him in a blues number, Hoochie Coochie Man.

He did the lead gtr for about 10 songs - including Beep Beep and Yano's Banal na Aso!

Bruce playing banal na aso :-o :-o.....lupit :-D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 07:55:20 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeaaahh!!  "there's no instant replay,except on TV.This is not a football gaaaaame!"

I have 3 of their albums, Oakland Zone, Back to Oakland, and self-titled Tower of Power!

super!!!!.....dont change horses in the middle ohohovda streehheeet!!!  :lol::mrgreen:
So Be It.

Offline serpentboy

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 10:10:39 AM »
Hey guys!

Haha, unbelievable but true! He even gave the lead vocalist an autographed copy of his solo CD... nanakawin ko nga sana e hehehe...

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 12:21:26 AM »
Hey guys!

Haha, unbelievable but true! He even gave the lead vocalist an autographed copy of his solo CD... nanakawin ko nga sana e hehehe...

Astig!

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
sali din ako...  from the classic lineup in the 70's up to the present remaining originals...too bad yung dvd concert in germany did not have those classic songs pero pwede na rin... a rare glimpse to see them in action....

you're still a young man, what is hip?, sexy soul, souled out, below us city lights, how could this happen to me, a little knowledge... etc it goes on and on...

any musician should have at least an album or two of this group in his/her CD collection...  along of course with Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears...

roco prestia is in a league of his own...

ei.

exactly.

The DVD at Ohne Filter lacked some songs but, it is indeed a rare chance to catch roco and the guys. 

TOP is Hip indeed.  way up there with BS&T, EWF (old) and CTA.
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 08:15:39 AM »
lagi ko silang pinapanood sa channel 9 dati... ngayon di na pinapalabas... what is hip? funkifize!
Surf's Up!

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 09:07:45 AM »
ei.

i'd bank Soul with a Capital S.

Soul Vaccination!!!
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 01:17:14 AM »
lagi ko silang pinapanood sa channel 9 dati... ngayon di na pinapalabas... what is hip? funkifize!

yup i remember that video. it was not really a concert but more like a practice session... i remember seeing nick milo on a yamaha DX7 doing funky organ licks... or could you be referring to something else? around the mid 80's eto. actually filler material lang in the afternoons...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline tono440

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 09:00:24 AM »
i Like the Horn Section........great harmonization.... :-) Busog ang 2nog..... :-D

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 05:41:35 PM »

yup i remember that video. it was not really a concert but more like a practice session... i remember seeing nick milo on a yamaha DX7 doing funky organ licks... or could you be referring to something else? around the mid 80's eto. actually filler material lang in the afternoons...

yep, same thing. pero re-runs na lang yung napapanood ko. galing!
Surf's Up!

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »

yep, same thing. pero re-runs na lang yung napapanood ko. galing!

Yep! Same here! Watched it during the lazy hours of the afternoon. Walang pera e kaya channel surf na lang. It was back in high school. Never got the chance to borrow their album from Reli, though. Pero di bale, I'll get me their first album one 'o these days...

Ibang klase yung tightness nila. Actually, I listened to them as one whole unit. Jaw dropping, man. Simply jaw dropping.  :-o
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro