hulika

Author Topic: Howlin Dave Passed Away ....So Long... Salamat Sa Pinoy Rock....  (Read 9303 times)

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Howlin Dave Passed Away ....So Long... Salamat Sa Pinoy Rock....
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 12:02:28 AM »
thank you for the music!  :cry:
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline aleck_p

In the 70's, it was Howlin' Dave who gave the much needed exposure to the obscure music of local rock bands in his acclaimed radio program, "Pinoy Rock and Rhythm". He was an active rock DJ until his demise... proof of his undying dedication to spread the gospel of Pinoy rock thru radio.

Howlin' Dave (Dante David) has made the trip to rock n' roll heaven recently...

There will be a tribute /fundraiser event for Howlin' Dave on:

JUNE 7, 2008 (Saturday)
19 East
Sucat Paranaque
9pm

featuring Wally Gonzalez and Friends, Razorback, KOJones, Gary Perez, DRT, Sinosikat, Crow Jane  and more.

entrance P150 only.

Proceeds will be given to the late rock DJ's family.

Pls. spread the word and go ... let's ROCK together! thanks!

-Aleck

information from Sir Wally Gonzalez &  www.wallygonzalez.com

Offline toybitz

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 02:25:42 AM »
Dante was given a tribute the other night in Benguet..

a mestizo guy, lighted a tobacco and sang in indian.."for Dante's crossing over"...
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline oldskul

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 11:15:11 PM »
INGGAT NA LNG SAU

8-)

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 02:29:59 AM »
Mga bro salamat sa inyo ngayon ko lang nalaman about Howlin Dave.. Very memorable sa akin yang Rock & Roll Machine & Pinoy Rock & Rhythm ng RJAM noon.. Dyan ako nagsimula mahilig sa rock noon.. Nakaka-miss ang voice ni Dante.. & yung mga series of New Moon Concerts noon na siya ang emcee..
I remember the first rock concert na napanood ko yung Pinoy Rock & Rythm Live noon sa Loyola Center featured Harrison Livewire, Florante, Banyuhay, Petrified Anthem, Pepe Smith, Mike Hanopol Band with Wally on guitar.. Si Howlin Dave ang emcee dun. Kumanta pa sya with his guitar accompaniment.. di ko lang alam ang title ng kinanta nya, ang first line ay: "This is the end..my friend..."
yan ang na-recall ko.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:43:20 AM by guitarpie »
(",)

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:26 AM »
Though it's been decades (and I mean "decades") since I last listened to the old RJ station on the radio, the tag line still runs through my head now and then"

"Pinoy Rock 'n' Rhythm...Sariling Atin!"

Godspeed, Dante!  You will be missed.

Yes nakaka-miss yang line na yan.. The program started as a daily segment lang nung late 70s, every 6 to 6:30pm Mon to Sat. Tapos ginawa nilang every Sat & Sun na lang 12noon to 1PM.. up to the early 80s..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:01:34 AM by guitarpie »
(",)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
Dante was given a tribute the other night in Benguet..

a mestizo guy, lighted a tobacco and sang in indian.."for Dante's crossing over"...

Maybe that tisoy guy was Ramon Zialcita ("The Doctor"). He lives in Baguio.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
Dante - Thanks for sharing the music.  I can't begin to describe how much I owe my musical awakening to you (and Bob Magoo). I literally woke up to, "Gising na, RJ naaaaa!!!"  Pinoy Rock honors you, and YOU bring honor to Pinoy Rock.  I'm sure you'll teach the angels up there to rock and roll.  Sign off for now, but resume broadcast up there, ayt?!! 

Allan - I'm glad I got to see him again several times the past months from the 'events' you cooked up at UR and RJ bar.  I will never forget his appreciation and wonderment for what we played at the radio show.  Pati yung 'owner-type' resonator guitar ko, tuwang tuwa siya.  :-D   Thanks, bro.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:45:52 PM by deltaslim »

Offline jay martin

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
R.I.P. brother

Offline toybitz

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
Maybe that tisoy guy was Ramon Zialcita ("The Doctor"). He lives in Baguio.

nope Boss Jim..

I know Ramon.  Natawa nga ako nun nagkita kami.  We both wore black shirt and fatigue pants.

the chanter's name is Mario. short, stout guy.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline avery97

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 02:45:00 AM »
raming alam ni howlin dave tunkol sa roots ng Pinoy rock sana hukayin pa ng generation ngayon ang roots ng Pinoy Rock, yun ata ang gusto ni Dave na ibahagi sa generation na to

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »

Allan - I'm glad I got to see him again several times the past months from the 'events' you cooked up at UR and RJ bar.  I will never forget his appreciation and wonderment for what we played at the radio show.  Pati yung 'owner-type' resonator guitar ko, tuwang tuwa siya.  :-D   Thanks, bro.

Dante really enjoyed that jamming with you and the rest of your band and with Bob Magoo at the UR Booth..... He was always talking about that jam even weeks after that event. Thanks Delta Slim.

Check this one out, In Memory of  Howlin' Dave

Offline greatwolf

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
My condolences...

I could never forget, "Gising na RJ na!" with my uncle being a fan of the station.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 09:59:05 PM »
Growing up as a Pinoy rocker under Howlin’ Dave

-June 6, 2008

By Rhony Laigo
Balita News Service

EVER since Uncle Sam came to the Philippines, the country has always been a follower of anything that happens on U.S. soil. Not only do we accustom ourselves with western culture, we even make our own Filipino version as long as its origin is “stateside.”

As a person who spent his teens in the 70s, Manila was in the midst of a cultural revolution, or so I thought. This is because the Rogelio dela Rosas, the kundimans and the hi-fi stereos were being replaced by “Charlie’s Angeles,” “Eight is Enough,” Grand Funk, Black Sabbath and of course, Deep Purple. Quadrosonic speakers became the trend. Radiowealths and Zeniths were dumped for the more expensive, more powerful and clearer sounding Akai stereos and Sony televisions.
This was also the time when the early part of the decade saw daily street rallies in Manila, where Molotov cocktails and pillboxes, policemen with truncheons dispersing demonstrators in violent fashions were the order the day. That was before martial law was declared (but that is another very long story). Years later, with all the members of the opposition either in military detention cells or in the U.S. where they fled, the Philippines transitioned to become a “more normal society” – again or so I thought – as we went back to our ways of living our lives. And the change continued.

In GSIS Hills, Barrio Talipapa, Novaliches, Quezon City, a few miles north of Manila where I grew up, this “newfound” rock culture became more pronounced because many teenagers, among them my older brother, had a special neighbor. His name was Dante David, son of Uncle Nick, who used to work as a broadcaster of the old ABS-CBN radio network. By the way, the younger Dante, was Howlin’ Dave. A Filipino rock icon who passed away last Sunday (Monday in the Philippines) after suffering a stroke. He was only 52.

For those who didn’t know Howlin’ Dave, he hosted the weekly Pinoy Rock & Rhythm on DzRJ, an AM station, in the 70s. Every Sunday, at noontime, listeners of the Rock of Manila tuned in to the program that played Filipino songs and when in-house ads were also in Filipino. Howlin’ Dave used to announce his program in his booming voice by telling his listeners this aptly translated line: “Ito po si Howlin’ Dave sa DzRJ, Ang Bato ng Maynila.” Prior to the program, many Filipino rock bands played American rock songs and many of them were based in Angeles and in Olongapo, home of the U.S. military bases. Thanks to Howlin’ Dave and DzRJ, some of them became famous for their Filipino original songs.

As we look back, even before the OPM acronym (for original Pilipino music) was coined, we already had Pinoy Rock at that time. It was a period when Juan dela Cruz was arguably the Number 1 Pinoy Rock band, composed of the legendary bassist Mike Hanopol, drummer Joey “Pepe” Smith and guitarist Wally Gonzales. They were the Grand Funk of the Philippines. Copycats, yes, but at least they sang their original compositions.

It was in DzRJ where we first heard of Sampaguita (her famous singles were “Bonggahan” and “Tao”), Petrified Anthem, the jazz music of Boy and Eddie Katindig, Tito Mina, Bong Gabriel and Bong Peñera. But just like in the U.S., where rockers hated disco and pop music, so did Pinoy rockers and DzRJ which deliberately did not play the likes of Rico Puno, Hotdog, and other Filipino pop artists. If not for playing a sitar, Boy Camara would also not have landed a number at DzRJ.

And who could forget Maria Cafra, Edmund Fortuno and his Anakbayan, Heber Bartolome and his Banyuhay, and most especially, Florante De Leon? It was on this station where the song “Pinay” became the most popular song of all Filipino professionals who found themselves immigrating to the U.S. – the heart-ripping folk song by Florante that made many a Filipinos cry for leaving their loved ones back home. It was also through DzRJ that Florante’s “Ako’y Pinoy” became the alternative national anthem – the song that gave birth to many other songs that talked about being a Pinoy.

Now based in Rancho Cucamonga, Florante recalled how Howlin’ Dave became the instrument for which all alternative bands back then made a name for themselves. “Utang naming lahat ng alternatives bands kay Dante ang aming career, ang aming popularity. Siya ang sumuporta sa amin. Hindi kami lalaki kung hindi dahil kay Dante,” Florante told this writer.

According to Florante, only Howlin’ Dave and DzRJ played their kind of music. “Kasi, ang mga producers, ang sabi nila nuon, wala raw market sa mga tugtog namin. At DzRJ lang ang nagpapatugtog ng hindi commercial at bakyang musika.”

Florante also told this writer that it was DzRJ which introduced him to the national music scene with Howlin’ Dave giving him live interviews. His friendship with Howlin’ Dave through the years was solidified when Florante became a godfather of one of Howlin’ Dave’s sons with his wife, Delilah.
The folksinger said it was in 2002 when he last talked to Howlin’ Dave. According to Florante, Howlin’ Dave was already a victim of stroke and had brain surgery that led to his “forced retirement” and from ever speaking on a microphone.

As he paid his respects to the legendary DJ, Florante sadly shared that his wife, Ruth, also suffered a stroke last October and is under rehabilitation. Florante disclosed to this writer that Ruth lost sensation in half of her body. He said he now spends more time with his wife that, according to him, he sometimes has to reject offers to do concerts from other states, even if these would help them in their medical bills.
I remember Howlin’ Dave as a towering figure (he stood more than six feet) who used to wear an afro. His tall and lanky built made him more than just a fashion icon in his American bell-styled Levi’s jeans and cowboy boots – he was of course Howlin’ Dave who for us was like a prophet. Though arguably one of the most popular rock DJs then, I never saw him drive a car, which didn’t matter to most of us (not to many had cars then anyway). Whenever we saw him walking as he went to work, we would automatically always had to stop and talk about him, and appreciate his presence. He wasn’t a rock star, but he looked better than most of them.

I also remember Howlin’ Dave building his “Bahay Kubo Beer House” in GSIS Hills – a compound of several nipa huts – two blocks east of where he lived with his dad and siblings that also served as his dwelling and scenes of several private parties characterized by booze, drugs, beautiful women and of course, rock stars. It was in front of Howlin Dave’s kubo, in my best friend’s house, where our band used to practice – Howlin’ Dave influenced me to pick up a guitar and sing with a band. At that time though, Howlin’ Dave had already moved out, but left a legacy among us to compose and belt out our very own Filipino rocks songs the way we thought Howlin’ Dave would have wanted it.

Allow me, fellow Pinoy rockers, to pay tribute to the man who wrote a chapter in Philippine music history. To me, siya “Ang Bato ng Maynila

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »

Florante also told this writer that it was DzRJ which introduced him to the national music scene with Howlin’ Dave giving him live interviews. His friendship with Howlin’ Dave through the years was solidified when Florante became a godfather of one of Howlin’ Dave’s sons with his wife, Delilah.
The folksinger said it was in 2002 when he last talked to Howlin’ Dave. According to Florante, Howlin’ Dave was already a victim of stroke and had brain surgery that led to his “forced retirement” and from ever speaking on a microphone.

Florante got it wrong, no? Dante was speaking into microphones way after 2002.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »
Here's another good tribute video - this one's by Heber Bartolome of Banyuhay ni Heber:

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »
Pati Jerks saka yung Chaos Band nung early 80s, si Dante din nagbigay ng break sa kanila by airing their songs sa Pinoy Rock & Rhythm
(",)