hulika

Author Topic: Please advice : Celestion Rocket 50 Speakers...waste of money???  (Read 3015 times)

Offline rapunzalan

Hey Bros,

I am contemplating on purchasing a Laney 2x12 cab with Celestion Rocket 50 speakers (60W each).  I read some reviews and they say they are crap.  I really wanted An Orange open back with Celestion V30s but price is a big factor (difference of 13K). Is this worth it? or the Rocket 50 will do fine?  I am using a Carvin Steve Vai Legacy Tube amps, with a pedal board (Ibanez Ts9 & TK999HT) and playing Classic Rock, Jazz and Blues through a vintage strat. Any advice masters?

Thanks a lot   :)
Psalm 33:3 Play Skillfully for Him on the strings, with loud shouts...!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Please advice : Celestion Rocket 50 Speakers...waste of money???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
Is that a Laney Cub 2x12? Rocket speakers are not too bad, but certainly not the best Celestions.

How much is your budget? Try a Blackstar HTV 212 (Celestion 70/80).. I heard they go for about 20k new..  :-)

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
Is that a Laney Cub 2x12? Rocket speakers are not too bad, but certainly not the best Celestions.

How much is your budget? Try a Blackstar HTV 212 (Celestion 70/80).. I heard they go for about 20k new..  :-)
Thanks for the reply, yup, A laney cub cab.  I can get a laney around 9k+ and an orange for around 24k.  But I need to allocate budget pa to other stuff... like ISP decimator, noisless pick-ups, diapers ... etc  :eek:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply, yup, A laney cub cab.  I can get a laney around 9k+ and an orange for around 24k.  But I need to allocate budget pa to other stuff... like ISP decimator, noisless pick-ups, diapers ... etc  :eek:

I personally don't like the Cub cab. It's too shallow. Not much depth from the cab. Parang madali tumbahin (no offense sa users) saka wala masyadong body yung tunog. Tried it with a Laney cub head sa JB dati. (I did not measure it. It just looked shallow/thin.)

Factor din yung mismong material of construction at design ng cab sa tunog, not just the speakers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:28:58 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
I personally don't like the Cub cab. It's too shallow. Not much depth from the cab. Parang madali tumbahin (no offense sa users) saka wala masyadong body yung tunog.

Factor din yung mismong material of construction at design ng cab sa tunog, not just the speakers.

Thanks for the reply.  Regarding "too shallow" and "body", Do you think I can compensate that with my amp and pedals???

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
You get what ypu always pay for. Save up ur money nalang for what you really like
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »
You get what ypu always pay for. Save up ur money nalang for what you really like

Well noted sir thanks,   One word GAS.  :-o

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Regarding "too shallow" and "body", Do you think I can compensate that with my amp and pedals???

Pedals, no.
Amp....hmm.. your amp is at the mercy of your cabinet.. You can only shape it so much before being affected by the overall quality (and capability) of the cab and speakers..

@rapunzalan
Get alvinratsim's Blackstar S1 4x12.

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:59:19 PM »
Pedals, no.
Amp....hmm.. your amp is at the mercy of your cabinet.. You can only shape it so much before being affected by the overall quality (and capability) of the cab and speakers..

@rapunzalan
Get alvinratsim's Blackstar S1 4x12.

Thanks sir, I'm thinking, would it be wise to purchase the Laney for the meantime and change the speakers to V30s or eminence if the "commander" does not notice it anymore (lets tag this as Plan B)? Is this possible? This is for "musical" serenity and peace at home na rin  :-\ Titigasan ko sana yung "Orange" but on second thought, baka possible itong Plan B.  I don't want to play my music on the streets with my luggage.  :mrgreen:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:59:39 AM »
Thanks sir, I'm thinking, would it be wise to purchase the Laney for the meantime and change the speakers to V30s or eminence if the "commander" does not notice it anymore (lets tag this as Plan B)? Is this possible? This is for "musical" serenity and peace at home na rin  :-\ Titigasan ko sana yung "Orange" but on second thought, baka possible itong Plan B.  I don't want to play my music on the streets with my luggage.  :mrgreen:

That's a tough choice. I'm biased with the Blackstar HTV 212 for a budget 2x12 cab since it has better speakers and seems really well built.

Even if you go for the Cub2x12 and swap out the speakers later on, the cab dimensions, construction, and design will still play a role on the overall sound.

If you can bring that awesome Legacy in the store to try if it will work with the Cub cab, that would be better. Para mas makapag decide din kayo if ok yung makukuha niyong tunog doon and kung mas magiging ok magpalit nalang ng speakers next time.  :-)

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »
That's a tough choice. I'm biased with the Blackstar HTV 212 for a budget 2x12 cab since it has better speakers and seems really well built.

Even if you go for the Cub2x12 and swap out the speakers later on, the cab dimensions, construction, and design will still play a role on the overall sound.

If you can bring that awesome Legacy in the store to try if it will work with the Cub cab, that would be better. Para mas makapag decide din kayo if ok yung makukuha niyong tunog doon and kung mas magiging ok magpalit nalang ng speakers next time.  :-)
Thank you sir, i will do that.  Quality is always cheaper in the long run anyway  :-D

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Done, reserved the orange 2x12 with v30s  :cool: Openly and honestly spoke and negotiated with the commander, said yes yahoo! Honesty is the best policy pa rin,... plus begging  :-D

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »
Done, reserved the orange 2x12 with v30s  :cool: Openly and honestly spoke and negotiated with the commander, said yes yahoo! Honesty is the best policy pa rin,... plus begging  :-D

Good call. Did you get to try the Cub 2x12?

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
There ya go! Congrats. Better please her tonight
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
Good call. Did you get to try the Cub 2x12?

Checked it out, incomparable to the orange 2x12 cab.  Those V30s and cab construction makes way significant differences in tone, volume, ergonomics, aesthetics etc.

Thanks very much for the advices  :wave:

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:28 AM »
There ya go! Congrats. Better please her tonight
Hahaha, did already.  Cleaned the whole house and cooked dinner.  :-D If I got the Laney instead of the Orange, it would be a different story of "pleasing" hehe  :-D

Offline rapunzalan

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:30 PM »
Here she is....

Salamat mga sirs  :wave:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »
Congrats man!  :wave:

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »
There ya go

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
i love happy endings
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html