hulika

Author Topic: SoundKitchen Recording Studio  (Read 25165 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
SoundKitchen Recording Studio
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2006, 03:53:02 AM »
Honga no. Ang galeng ! Ang [chewbacca] ko ! :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2006, 04:11:35 AM »
Quote from: BAMF
Honga no. Ang galeng ! Ang [chewbacca] ko ! :D

No way, pare! just looking at the diezel thread, I can tell otherwise.

Mas masahol pa nga when you part.i.t.ion a drive. I have an 80 gig seagate as my system drive na pinart.i.t.ion ko into 2 40 gig 'drives'. When adding the total bytes of the 2 part.i.t.ions together, total size was 81.956 gigs!  :shock: WTF?! No way am I going to find out why! I'm just gonna enjoy the 'extra' bytes. 8)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2006, 04:16:40 AM »
(/me still pounding himself in the head) ironic lang. I teach computers and computer networking in the LaSalle system. I should be one of the first to know (or remember) that 1 kilobyte is actually 1024 bytes. UGH !

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2006, 06:54:26 AM »
yes i remember reading about this when learning about networking.  that's why we have to compute for the most efficient sizes, i think. but as for Kit's extra bytes ...hmmm ... weird.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »
i'm uploading the preliminary mix of a song i recorded for a christian band (Pillars).  we really had to work very fast as their budget for all 10 songs was very limited. a challenge indeed.  i thought, as long as i can surpass the quality of their previous album (which costed them over a hundred thousand) for about a quarter of the price then i'm halfway there.

recorded and  mixed in 24-bit, 48Khz.   encoded at 192 kbits/sec, the file is 1.5MB large as it spans about 1 minute and 7 seconds of the whole song. this one is still up for mastering though.

right click and select save as :)

http://geocities.com/soundkitchen_ph/ikaw.mp3
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2006, 03:36:56 AM »
the file is corrupt, i think, have another file?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:23 AM »
hmmm. i didnt try to download it. i think i'll mastert that one first.   it's the first time i brought it out of the studio yesterday and heard it elsewhere.  noticed a couple of things that needed adjustment :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2006, 10:43:31 AM »
Hazel,

Did you check the UAD site? I think you might find this interesting:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2006/april/text/content5.html
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »
mine is the FET based model. LOL.

i'm uploading the same clip that i eq'd and optimized.  still havent mastered. mastering is a totally different can of worms.  multiband compression can make or break (meaning, if it ain't makin', it's breakin  :lol: ).

anyway, still encoded at 192 kbits/sec.  

http://geocities.com/soundkitchen_ph/ikaw2.mp3

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2006, 06:06:11 PM »
Quote from: starfugger
mine is the FET based model. LOL.

Don't you just love April Fools jokes?  :lol:   Gotcha!

Hey! Something's wrong with the download! Suggestion: try yousendit.com or even rapidshare.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2006, 06:13:11 PM »
yep, i saw a post the other day on the UAD forums by some other user asking if this was for real. hehe.  electronic musician magazine has their version of this and they publish at a certain date once or twice a year.  try looking for presta products.   :lol:

i'm still uploading Kit. should be done in a bout a couple of minutes.

Offline jplacson

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2006, 04:11:15 PM »
as i stated in my other posts... instead of going DIY with a SB Audigy... support your local studios... :)

what are your updated rates?
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2006, 09:26:23 PM »
DIY and pro studio have their places in the scheme of things :D .

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
indeed. the DIY approach has its place for those that, I think, want to learn more about the technology aspect of the studio. I don't rent my equipment out at all (use it as a business) and mainly use my studio for personal work and collaborative sessions, and that was the original intent of having my own studio: to be able to roll out of bed run into a room that had what I needed to make music and....not come out for hours on end:)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2006, 08:49:06 AM »
ditto, BAMF and Abyss.  the reason i got into this is because i had my own band way back and wished to make better demos for us.  the band broke up and i surprisingly found myself hooked on this even more than playing the drums.

jplacson, yes we really need to support eachother if we want to grow as an industry.  right now the recording scene in philippines is still at its teething stages. i for one am still learning to get a grip on all this technology. anyway, the updated rates are 600 per hour.

abyss, are you in the states?  i downloaded some mp3's from a guy who makes home demo's there in the US.  i was pretty blown away by the quality of his work. it is a lot better than even the commercially (local) recorded cd i compared it with. have you ever done a recording here in the philippines?  if so did you notice any difference in the quality of your work here and there (using the same equipment)?  

thanks.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2006, 09:14:45 AM »
ditto, BAMF and Abyss.  the reason i got into this is because i had my own band way back and wished to make better demos for us.  the band broke up and i surprisingly found myself hooked on this even more than playing the drums.

jplacson, yes we really need to support eachother if we want to grow as an industry.  right now the recording scene in philippines is still at its teething stages. i for one am still learning to get a grip on all this technology. anyway, the updated rates are 600 per hour.

abyss, are you in the states?  i downloaded some mp3's from a guy who makes home demo's there in the US.  i was pretty blown away by the quality of his work. it is a lot better than even the commercially (local) recorded cd i compared it with. have you ever done a recording here in the philippines?  if so did you notice any difference in the quality of your work here and there (using the same equipment)?  

thanks.

starfugger, I am. i didn't get into recording before leaving the phils but I did have an idea aboout how records between the US and Phils sounded since my Dad has always been an audiophile. i grew up around hi fi equipment so, although I didn't have a good background with the music technology aspect growing up, I was able to contextualize how records sound the way they do once I got deeper into music production and engineering mixes. for the most part, I don't think the equipment used between DIY people in the US and in the Phils is the one-all-end-all in the grand scheme of things. Rather, the main difference is in the actual engineering of the music and the performance. a lot of home studio owners in the states - at least the ones that spend a lot of time in the music scene as DJs, producers, and engineers - spend a ton of time with sound design aspects of music production such as EQing, learning the limitations of the gear, and how to get as close to a solid  commercial sound with the most basic off-the-shelf gear. in a lot of cases, playing out a lot here lets you cut your teeth in a large part of music production mechanics because they have a lot of sound engineers that don't just work clubs, a lot of them work in professional studios as well or are gigging musicians too. through this scene, an emphasis on sound and tone is emphasized because the audience (the music market) are very fickle and, unless you have your sound together, you aren't going to get very many gigs and you will be criticized for your poor sound quality.

when I first started posting around here on Philmusic, one of the first things I noted was how the sound in the Philippine produced CDs kind of sounded unfocused or not punchy enough in comparison to some of the imported UK and US records I eventually grew up listening to. This does not go on to say that the Philippine sound is bad - just different - especially since the "sound" seemed to be how a majority of the records were mixed down - but in comparison to records from labels in the UK and in the US, the Philippine "sound" always sounded like it needed a lot of work to bring out the best in the different aspects of the mix. I later found out that it wasn't in the equipment since a lot of the places had comparable gear to a lot of homsestudio owners in the states...the difference was in the knowledge behind the engineering of the mix - the usage of frequency differences, the exploitation of space in the mix to create ambience, and the use of the song's mood to arrange a mix to suit its genre.

If I had the chance, I would love to have the chance to record back home and just see how people are doing music recording in the Philippines. I would love to share tips, gain a bit of knowledge from fellow music enthusiasts, and just help spread things over from what I've learned working with producers and studios here. Moreover, I think the musicianship is, and has always been, top notch at home but a lot has to be done to show the world that Philippine music can hang with the best of them in the world. To accomplish this, I think its just a matter of time.

I've always dreamt about working with local musicians such as Joey Ayala and Freddie Aguilar and maybe collaborating with them on some downtempo track for a neo-soul kinda vibe. Our country has such a rich heritage that it is sad to see people aren't sharing it a lot more...in fact, I am really aching to collect indigenous Philippine instruments to use in tracking such as the kulintang and those other interesting instruments from Baguio.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »
that's good news abyss.  it tells us that there's room for improvement.  although i think are some engineers here who really went abroad and studied the art of recording and mixing. but so far the sound is the same.  maybe it will really take a lot of time.  i do hope audio engineering as a course can be offered locally.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2006, 08:07:44 PM »
that's good news abyss.  it tells us that there's room for improvement.  although i think are some engineers here who really went abroad and studied the art of recording and mixing. but so far the sound is the same.  maybe it will really take a lot of time.  i do hope audio engineering as a course can be offered locally.

oh yes, there is room for improvement, always - even here in the States - but I think in our case, the Philippine sound just needs a bit of work to compete on the global audio engineering scene. we have good gear, we just need work polishing our tracks consistently.

i was just surprised to find the amount of emphasis music engineering classes here put on the theoretical knowledge of frequencies, arranging, and tweaking. at least at Berklee, they break everything down to its most simple components so students don't just "know" what makes up a good mix from the basic building blocks of harmonics, levels and whatnot, they are able to tell you what a mix may be missing just from listening to it on a wide variety of home speakers/ monitors. I think that sensitization conditions us behind the board much better and gives us a more complete view of the mix and how to enhance it constructively.

I am looking forward to audio engineering being formally offered in the Phils and making good, world class gear available to students in those programs. Once you know the ropes on those, translating the work to a smaller DAW is much easier because you have the fundamental parts of the system to work with - the EQs, the recording resolution, the methodology of how to record properly, and how to arrange everything so it sounds appealing in a mix.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2006, 12:59:26 PM »
Berklee offers online courses that are still very expensive for your average pinoy.  and i don't think it would be same as hands on training on big world class gear.  but then again im not even after world class gear anymore after hearing that foreign-mixed home studio song.  i would be quite happy just to get the same upfront punch and overall clarity.  

about indigineous instruments, i'd also like to collect some myself. i figured if you left those lying around in the studio the bands will get curious and creative.  it's one good way to inject our Filipino heritage back into pop music, and ultimately help mainline it into the consciousness of our generation.

Offline audioslave

« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »
hi hazel i read that you have a joemeek vc1, i also have a joemeek vc1 but i bought this used and its a single channel vc1 in a half rack space do you know any info about this i bought this for only 5k four years ago and i cant find any info about this half rack space vc1. do you have any?
bleh bleh bleh

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2006, 03:10:26 PM »
wow! that's a steal!  that one's THE original brick audioslave.  hang on to it for dear life :)

Offline iguana

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2006, 01:18:58 AM »
THE PRICE IS RIGHT

While other digital recording studios charge not less than P500/hr, we at SoundKitchen remain dedicated to our commitment in giving you excellent quality CD's at the most affordable rate in the market.  do you just guess where to put the mics and hit RECORD?compress the hell out of it with pirated plugins.True, it IS a difficult situation but i manage. but  i'm not very brave (nor very rich) to use condensers on all toms.  instead i will be using good ol' sm 57's on tom and snare top, then a pair of AT 4040's (large diaphragm condensers) as overheads, a KSM32 on hi-hats, and RE20 on floor tom, and an AKGD12E on kick, and if everything falls according to the new plan, a dual valve condenser (the SE Gemini) as room mic.

- - - www.yafll.com - - -

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2006, 01:32:07 AM »
ummm, huh?  the new rate is 600 per hour.  micing begins with a good idea of where to put the mics, then experiment, not very difficult since there's another room now. no pirated plug ins or software here (the OS,  DAW, and all plugins are licensed and paid for). the Gemini and the other UAD-1 card are on their way, by the way. :)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
finally the Gemini arrived the other day.  the package weighed about 10.5 kilos.  most of that is the flight case, though.  the mic itself weighs around a kilo (according to the salesguy).  i've had the chance to test it on female a capella and compared it side by side to the Shure KSM32.  they are both very sensitive mic's, but the main difference is that the Gemini sounded more "open" and had a more natural frequency response.  with the KSM32 there were several undesirable buildup around the low-mid frequencies.  the Gemini remained flat in this area.  well that's about it so far.  

pics!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
wrong post
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2006, 03:34:54 PM »
hi hazel..nice studio and gear..
Music is art in sound...