hulika

Poll

Who best represents PINOY rock and Roll?

RJ Jacinto
Pepe Smith
Others... Who? Please Leave a Comment?

Author Topic: Gandy's Rockstar Deathmatch #3: RJ Jacinto Vs. Pepe Smith VOTE NOW!  (Read 5130 times)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus

VS.

FIGHT!!!!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Gandy's Rockstar Deathmatch #3: RJ Jacinto Vs. Pepe Smith VOTE NOW!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Pepe Smith ftw!  :mrgreen:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »
This is unnecessary warfare with a too-obvious casualty  :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »

ill go for Miniong  :lol:
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
that picture alone testifies to his "rock and roll" nature.

i heard from someone tell me that when pepe was told he was the mick jagger of the philippines and he replied back, "no mick jagger is the pepe smith of england".

i dont know if this is true, but heck its a great story and that makes me idolize him more.

I remember him playing really high on a up fair night and you know what he is playing?

" like a rolling stone" by bod dylan/rolling stones. i think i just witnessed a great man perform a  great song that personified what he is, what we are actually. it was another persons song but he couldve just as easily wrote it himself as he has done almost everything. Yun tingin ko ang passion ni pepe, yung ini express nya, na experience na nya. Never a poser. Never one to pretend.

Just him, a tele and the mic.... So yeah how does it feel?

Man o man. I doubt RJ Jacinto could evoke such emotion from me. Let alone make the hair on my spine tingle like that night when Pepe sang that song.  It was, one of the moments when I decided Id like to get a guitar and just play. Haha.
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
that picture alone testifies to his "rock and roll" nature.

i heard from someone tell me that when pepe was told he was the mick jagger of the philippines and he replied back, "no mick jagger is the pepe smith of england".

i dont know if this is true, but heck its a great story and that makes me idolize him more.

I remember him playing really high on a up fair night and you know what he is playing?

" like a rolling stone" by bod dylan/rolling stones. i think i just witnessed a great man perform a  great song that personified what he is, what we are actually. it was another persons song but he couldve just as easily wrote it himself as he has done almost everything. Yun tingin ko ang passion ni pepe, yung ini express nya, na experience na nya. Never a poser. Never one to pretend.

Just him, a tele and the mic.... So yeah how does it feel?

Man o man. I doubt RJ Jacinto could evoke such emotion from me. Let alone make the hair on my spine tingle like that night when Pepe sang that song.  It was, one of the moments when I decided Id like to get a guitar and just play. Haha.

:wave: nice!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline starkiller

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
IMO, rock n roll is different things to different people.

If its classic swing-type rock n roll where the audience boogies, then RJ is the Chuck Berry of the Philippines.  He does the most authentic rendition of Johnny B Goode.  This kind of music will just look off/pilit if other people performed it.

If rock n roll is about being a rebel, personifying a lifestyle, and performing songs more Filipinos can identify with, then Pepe Smith hands down.

Demographics and preferences.  Its obvious which of these guys this forum, especially this sub form, will prefer.

But at the end of the day, everyone can get along:

Offline NomisNivra

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »

If its classic swing-type rock n roll where the audience boogies, then RJ is the Chuck Berry of the Philippines.  He does the most authentic rendition of Johnny B Goode.  This kind of music will just look off/pilit if other people performed it.

If rock n roll is about being a rebel, personifying a lifestyle, and performing songs more Filipinos can identify with, then Pepe Smith hands down.

Demographics and preferences.  Its obvious which of these guys this forum, especially this sub form, will prefer.

But at the end of the day, everyone can get along:

Agree with your statement sir! Kuhang kuha mo :)
David Grohl: Why can't it always be this easy?
Paul McCartney: It is.

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:33:42 AM »

If its classic swing-type rock n roll where the audience boogies, then RJ is the Chuck Berry of the Philippines.  He does the most authentic rendition of Johnny B Goode. 

agree on this bro...

but to put my beef in this taco, pepe smith!  :razz:
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
the title says "represents". as rock and roll is inclusive of the music and persona, i think there should be one clear answer. otherwise we would have the star for all seasons, megastars, the star anises of rock and roll.
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Nung martial law , Piyaps stayed while RJ ran to the US. Clear winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
Nung martial law , Piyaps stayed while RJ ran to the US. Clear winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all the more reason. cant really compare them. one is a privileged, rich man indulging in his "rock and roll" lifestyle. slumming i think is the word. the other, living it.

its the difference between a hardcore kid wearing the hardcore shirt and the hardcore kid, living the hardcore life and singing about it. someone is being a poser and someone is expressing his heart out.

Completely.

Offline opencoke

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:32 AM »
pepe smith all the way. pamumuhay pa lang eh rock and roll na rock and roll na.

Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:44:19 AM »
Both are bluesman, can't compare, pwede pa siguro kung wally gonzales vs rj
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Pepe Smith. Pag sinabing Pinoy Rock, si Pepe na yun.