hulika

Author Topic: Maya's New Album: Rico Blanco on Steroids  (Read 4578 times)

Offline JQuiz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Maya's New Album: Rico Blanco on Steroids
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »

Before i get burned, might as well put the disclaimer on the first line. Excuse above all, explain later: i am not a music expert; nor i admit i know my music as much as the next real musician. What i am though is a music fan; what i once was was a big-big-big Rivermaya fan since the yellow self-titled album in 1994. Quick rationale on that last line: Out of 48 students in our second year high school class roughly five were Rivermaya fans; the rest were Eraserheads fanboys--- you have to be there to understand how a 14-year-old defended his favorite band, which he thought was the best in the Philippines (Try telling that to 'heads supporters...) In short, i don't believe i know my music like the any expert or average music fan. What i know is i know what it's like to be a 'maya fan over the years. Over the seemingly constant band roster changes... Over the evolution of the 'maya music which i dearly love. And all that said, here's a review of Rivermaya's latest album.

Rivermaya's Buhay (2008)

Rico Blanco on steroids. Squeeze the juice up because that's what first came to mind. In rather normal terms the effort is too much of an attempt to retain the Rivermaya identity rather than create one of its own. A poorman's version of any Rivermaya album of the past, especially the Blanco-fronted years...

Continued here: http://cheezepaper.blogspot.com/2008/05/mayas-new-album-rico-blanco-on-steroids.html

i don't know which RP forums are great for amateurish reviews as this. Please do comment either here or follow the link. Thank you.

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Maya's New Album: Rico Blanco on Steroids
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »
I am totally with you bro...

was definitely hard during those times to defend why you think Rivermaya is a better band than the Eraserheads (don't get me wrong, I love their music as well and Ely's songwriting) I just feel that Rivermaya during those times was better in everything, musicality, songwriting, performing, etc...)

In my opinion, everything the Eheads released after Stickerhappy was a huge stinker.

Rivermaya on the otherhand just kept topping the previous albums they released. They just got better and better. It was just great.  Rivermaya was king.

Up until they released Between the Stars and Waves.

Man oh man what the heck happened with them during that album?!  Rico just gave the other two WAY too much freedom i think with their own compositions.

I guess they forgot the magic formula:

GOOD RIVERMAYA = let Rico do most of the songwriting and producing.

So now that Rico's out of the picture... we have a new album.

My verdict..... refer to the formula above.  :wink:

Offline chip

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
GOOD RIVERMAYA = let Rico do most of the songwriting and producing.

+ 10000000000000000000 :-)

Offline JQuiz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply, guys. Not sure if you followed the link but here's the full review. i was indeed burned by Maya fans (well, the Maya mailing list) for i posted it there. Gahd, to think i am a fan and now i can't even see my posts.

Was it too honest? Any re-posting, now the entire thing..

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Before i get burned, might as well put the disclaimer on the first line. Excuse above all, explain later: i am not a music expert; nor i admit i know my music as much as the next real musician. What i am though is a music fan; what i once was was a big-big-big Rivermaya fan since the yellow self-titled album in 1994. Quick rationale on that last line: Out of 48 students in our second year high school class roughly five were Rivermaya fans; the rest were Eraserheads fanboys--- you have to be there to understand how a 14-year-old defended his favorite band, which he thought was the best in the Philippines (Try telling that to 'heads supporters...) In short, i don't believe i know my music like the any expert or average music fan. What i know is i know what it's like to be a 'maya fan over the years. Over the seemingly constant band roster changes... Over the evolution of the 'maya music which i dearly love. And all that said, here's a review of Rivermaya's latest album.

Rivermaya's Buhay (2008)

Rico Blanco on steroids. Squeeze the juice up because that's what first came to mind. In rather normal terms the effort is too much of an attempt to retain the Rivermaya identity rather than create one of its own. A poorman's version of any Rivermaya album of the past, especially the Blanco-fronted years.

Just a little revisionist history; when Bamboo left Rivermaya in 1998, i pretty much gave up and gave in to the idea that my favorite band would never be the same again. That what was left behind was just a collection of musicians, which will be good but not as great in the long term as i hoped they would. (Actually, going a little further back, i never had these worries when Perf left 3-4 years earlier) i was correct on the first thought that they would never be the same again... But was wrong on the next; the 1998-2001 Rivermaya actually matched if not was even better (Don't get us started on this one for this will turn out to be another Rico vs. Bamboo debate) considering the changes that was happening to the band.

Why and how could the triumvirate of Rico, Nathan and Mark match/outdo the foursome which includes the vocal power of a Bamboo? Simple. When Bamboo left, Rico did not miss a beat and just started doing what he do best; Create music with reckless abandon, [strawberry]-the-critics-and-forget-about-the-fans because i am here to experiment and just make MY music.

This raw passion was clearly seen on the freedom of a Nathan and a Mark; both guys clearly HAD their freedom to input their genre of music (Nathan's funk and Mark's jazz) This raw passion and very honest take on their music resulted in Rivermaya's best albums to date post-Bamboo era: It's Not Easy Being Green featuring Nerbyoso as it's carrier single (Worst song of the album by the way) and the classic Free album.

Why and how could the triumvirate of Rico, Nathan and Mark match/outdo the foursome which includes the vocal power of a Bamboo? Simple. Rico, Nathan and Mark did not try to duplicate their previous attempts rather they tried to create a sound that could be unique between the three of them and which they can call their own. Not to say they created their own genre but rather that they redefined a Rivermaya sound--- ultimately as fans, we can adapt to roster changes especially when we see what changed.

This is where my criticism of Rivermaya's new album comes in. The five new guys (Yes, including Mark unfortunately) did not attempt to make new music rather rehash what they knew as Rivermaya. Sure sure, maybe they want to respect the Rivermaya tradition and all, but where does that put you as a musician? What does that tell you about being an artist?

And if we want to get too technical here, the real Rivermaya tradition is being able to welcome change and risk it all to create a new sound--- a new identity. What is missing is the reckless abandon attitude that made Rivermaya... Well, Rivermaya.

Buhay came way, way too lifeless for that basic requirement. It's simply Rico Blanco on steroids, you might get a few good performances here or there but in the long run the real product will show itself.

Maybe i just have to listen to it another 30-40 times like i already have? Will it change a thing? What happens to MY band now; is it still MY band? Well, like a good old Rivermaya fan, i'll probably just hang around and see what happens with this Rivermaya. Who knows, i might even watch a live performance and maybe that could change a thing... or could make the criticism even worse.)

After all, we 'maya fans know the word, "change."

Until then i delay my personal wish for the band to drop the name, Rivermaya because where's justice in using the name if you are just squeezing up the juice?

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
Huh! There's a new Rico Blanco solo album out on Warner! Single is called "Yugto". Guess we were all taken for a ride there heh.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
yUGTO? wow, wait ko lumabas..

Offline raimunsky

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »
kahapon ko pa pala naririnig yuing kanta ni Rico sa NU, ngayon ko lang nalaman na sa kanya pala yun.

:-D
start with the end in mind

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »
opinion lang hga...i really dont like the idea of Japs Sergio taking over the "Rico" duties.

lets face it...when nathan left in 2002 , Rico was the last straw.(well, if he left before nates did, thats a whole different story din)

a few years from now...after some reunion concerts et all....this era would probably be reviewed as the worst part of their history.
life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

Offline raimunsky

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »

si rico, rock boss sa NU. pano na rivermaya ngayong may single na rin si rico!?
start with the end in mind

Offline Stompbox

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
Well, 6 months ago pa lang I heard Rico was with Warner already.

If I heard correctly, Roca Cruz is also handling him.
Stompworks Studios :: motion graphics.visual effects.web design.print     http://www.stompworks-studios.com

STEREODEAL  http://www.myspace.com/stereodeal

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »
I miss the Early RICO ERA ng rivermaya.

check out this 1999 concert with nates martin & jayjohn

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:20:43 PM »
I honestly think Rico packed a good punch against his former band with his new album.  It sounds like it was his answer to "Maskara".  More like an uppercut from Rico after blocking a jab from Maya.

Musically, it is ingenious.  :-o

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »
i am way way excited for his album to finally come out...

i've only heard good things about it so far.  :-)

haven't been this excited about an album launch ever since Between the stars and waves (man! was that a big let down. well except for 241 and Balisong)

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
I honestly think Rico packed a good punch against his former band with his new album.  It sounds like it was his answer to "Maskara".  More like an uppercut from Rico after blocking a jab from Maya.

Musically, it is ingenious.  :-o

Actually, the MASKARA song is like a recording for ABS-CBN/A.S.A.P song numbers ng mga artistang pinipilit kumanta.

imitating the old rivermaya sound.

if ever in the future Escueta leaves RIVERMaya...medyo OA na if they carry on pa.

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »
about sa new album ng rivermaya i think 2 songs lang nagustuhan ko sugal ng kapalaran and maskara....im looking forward sa album ni rico for sure ok din un

Offline veronica

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »
just heard rico's "yugto", i think its very good.. i was taken away by a lot of experiments but somehow, some parts reminded me a bit of joey ayala's style  :|