hulika

Author Topic: MARIA CAFRA  (Read 16116 times)

Offline Allan Roy

Re: MARIA CAFRA
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
Lusty cheers for one rare gig

By Antonio M. Maghirang
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 19:48:00 10/26/2009

Close this ALMOST 40 years ago today, Pinoy rock was young and popular, but with its rebellious stance and hopes daunted by martial law, overshadowed by disco, and chastened by a certain cough syrup. A return to traditional values was the operating social code and the happy-go-lucky sound of the Olongapo-based band Maria Cafra unintentionally fit the mood of the times. Its radio-friendly music offered a genial counterfoil to the restless blues of the scruffy Juan de la Cruz Band.

That hospitable vibe radiated throughout Maria Cafra’s rare gig at RJ Bar recently. It was the ’70s band’s first live performance 20 years after lead guitarist/vocalist Resty Fabunan threw in the towel in frustration over a once flourishing career that was going nowhere.

The jam-packed crowd exploded into lusty cheers as Resty launched into the opening chords to “Kumusta Mga Kaibigan.” Save for the eyeglasses and short hair, Resty still has the same build and the slight stoop that were his trademark posture all those years ago. Old reliable Rollie Averilla has returned on drums, but Resty’s deceased brother, Jun, has been replaced on bass by the latter’s own son.

Simple rock tunes

In a previous lifetime, Resty was a simple man who played and sang simple rock tunes. At the RJ Bar gig, he prefaced each song with, “Bahala na!” or “Pasensiya na kayo.”

He didn’t have to bother with apologies because his core audience understood. As the show progressed, Resty’s bashful stage patter contrasted with the fire and vim with which the reformed band tackled the Maria Cafra songbook.

On the fifth song, Resty told the crowd that he played just that—only five songs—in past concerts. This time, probably buoyed by the electric reception, he proceeded to unload a greatest-hits repertoire that spanned Maria Cafra’s debut album and its unreleased second LP. The band adeptly strung together hits like “Estranghero,” “Balatkayo,” and “Tala sa Umaga,” among others, into a seamless, rocking jam.

Resty introduced “Sarung Banggi” as an incomplete guitar overture, which turned out to be a monster progressive rocker. In today’s rock lingo, the band traipsed among the best moments of emo, new metal and hard-core to reach the ecstatic release of an explosive ending.

‘Exodus’

Follow-up song was the mighty “Exodus.” By then, the rusty band of an hour ago had reached a glorious momentum of sonic fury and technical dexterity. The only bummer was that Resty’s guitar did not light up in flames a la Hendrix due to a malfunctioning lighter.

Rod Stewart once sang, “The first cut is the deepest.” The Maria Cafra gig must have etched a much deeper memory on those who kept the faith through the last 20 years.

( Catch Maria Cafra on RJ Bar, Jupiter Street Makati City  on November 7 at 8 PM)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:26:35 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline playamoth

• Netizen Level
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
Originally known as the Psyclones in the sixties, they were doing covers of the late guitar master Jimi Hendrix playing Manilas' concert scene and Olongapo club gigs which was their base.  Resty Fabunan, brother Jun and Rolly Averilla were doing a fantastic job of playing Hendrix songs that got them in trouble when management insisted they not play their original music because the US military personnel on R&R from the Vietnam war wants to hear them play Jimi Hendrix covers.
Resty saw something on the horizon which was the dawn of Pinoy Rock.  He and his band threw their lot in Manila and changed their name to Maria Cafra, a bird native to the Philippines.  Signed to a recording deal with an unscrupulous record executive whose intention was to can them so his favored rock 'n roll band won't have competition. 
Resty and the band hit the recording studio not knowing that their recording was all for naught.  Nevertheless, he recorded Pinoy Rock classics Kool ka Lang Pare, Tayo'y MagRakenRol, Buhay 'Gapo, and Kapalaran which upon looking back mirrored his life story.  Although not available for sale, it got radio airplay via the seminal rock station of Manila DZRJ.
When his recording contract expired, he moved to JEM and recorded another cluster of songs that became Pinoy Rock staples. This album includes Kamusta Mga Kaibigan, Estranghero, Tala sa Umaga, Karanasan, Hatsing Hatsing, Balatkayo, Awit ng Pag-ibig and his version of Exodus where he showcases his mastery of the guitar and does his fire act which was a carry over from the Psyclone era.
Electrifying is the operative word in a live Maria Cafra concert.  In a show at the CYO Gym in Davao, their opening number Kamusta mga Kaibigan with its rising guitar crescendo and the cloud of incense that engulfed the venue and the audiences' olfactory sense sent the crowd into a frenzy where they lit up and spun their burning shirts over their heads.  Scary, scary,scary but that is what Maria Cafra brings to the plate.
Filipino musicologists have opined that if there is a Filipino Rock song it is Restys' anthem to his adoptive city 'Buhay 'Gapo.'  The strains of the Filipino music form 'Balitaw' is evident in his opus. To me, 'Buhay 'Gapo' is an electrified Filipino Karnabal in capsule captured from a circus that is Olongapo.
In a conversation with Resty, he claims that the conception of his songs are with an acoustic guitar and are really written like a 'kundiman.' When it gets the Maria Cafra treatment, it becomes a truly authentic Pinoy Rock or to be more precise, a 'Kundiman' rock song.
Resty might not have been financially rewarded with his music but he deserves the glory for enriching our lives and contributed to the development and advancement of Philippine music in particular and world music in general.  There may have been characters that bedeviled his success and luck was not in his fate but history will be kind and generous with praise to this Filipino original.

Offline ebeseyes

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
here are the last three songs they performed during their first reunion concert in rj bar last oct. resty and rolly played like they were still the young rockstars that they were in the 70's. playamoth and i were lucky enough to have worked with them during their jem years. long live kundiman rock!!!

:<)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:30:41 PM by ebeseyes »

Offline dennsio

• Netizen Level
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
Watch Maria Cafra live on April 16 @ 19th east iin Sucat pque.. See you!!

Offline sOnicmArk

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
i was in teresa rial yesterday, when i saw maria cafra's gig poster (malaking banner sa poste)...nakakatuwa buhay pa pala sila...
at first i thought it was meant to be a joke...mabuhay ang maria cafra...

Offline xxxtian

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
katutugtog lang nila dito sa amin kagabi
isa kami sa front act. fiesta kasi dito
astig nga eh 

Offline xxxtian

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

eto oh
kami ung dos pares

Offline Mocho

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
They also came up with one of the best and most memorable cover artwork back then. How I miss the LP years... For those not yet born or too young at that time, here's a look:

It may look cheesy by today's standards but back then it was like WOW...

Cheesy! Ganda nga, eh  :-D. LP records ay parang mga painting, gumaganda habang tumatanda. Namiss ko pagkabata ko, eto yung mga pinapatugtog ng mga tito ko.

Offline Eddie1968

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 07:46:18 AM »
I remember going to see the Psyclones at the Sierra Club in Olongapo in 1968-69 and Maria Cafra also at the Sierra in 1974-75 (I was stationed in the Philippines). I was very impressed, especially by Resty Fabunan, and enjoyed hearing them play very much. I still have the single with "Kool ka Lang Pare" and "Kapalaran". Sometimes Resty would play "Kool ka Lang Pare", but I never heard him play "Kapalaran". If the hostesses requested "Kapalaran", he would ignore them! I am glad that he is still playing!

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »
Buhay pa sila at dito ang tugtugan nila sa rizal, sa may bandang tanay rizal (cafe pranjetto yata!) pati si madam lolita carbon nag gig din dun..

PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »
bote dyaryo is abrakadabra

anak mahirap is judas

anak mahirap is actually titled DUKHA.

Abrakadabra recently reunited with the drummer now its singer. The Boyfriends were very very close friends of Abrakadabra and 2 of their ex members are now with Abrakadabra. Abrakadabra and the Boyfriends were both signed to OcoArts in 1978.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline sherry roadie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
Psyclones never played at Sierra Club.
You must have mistaken it for Sherry
Club and Hotel where they alternated
with Our Daily Bread and before that
was Drug Cult(tropang tecavits). Sherry
Club was the heaviest rock club then
because of Psyclones. Some of you might
have remembered Manok, Drug Cult's
keyboardman. This is the same person
who became Jovials' keyboardist. You
put together Jon Lord, Ray Manzarek and
Keith Emerson then you got them all in
one person! If you have missed the time
rock and roll was played at Sherry then
you have missed a big chunk of what
rock and roll is in Olongapo! We're so lucky
Jimi, Eric, Jeff, Jimmy, Duanne, JoeWalsh,
LeslieWest, heck even Ritchie has a
contemporary at Gapo in Resty's representing
what is happening in the States and London playing
what we could not hear live from them but
here you have Psyclones who night after
night rip your body, soul and brains apart
into pieces. "Morning Star" was just a pure
Beck influenced solo instrumental then that turned
into a pinoy release now called Tala sa Umaga!
Res' Exodus rock rendition came way before
Leslie started it to become a short Mountain
regular jam every night. When I first heard
a non-Jimi Voodoo Child (Slight Return) on the
radio in 1980 I had to call the station to ask who that
motherF playing it bcos i couldnt believe
that a third person from jimi can play it
that good. The DJ answered me "a slinger
from Texas StevieRayVaughan!" When l first
saw SRV played infront of me at the Greek Theatre
in LA they encored the show with the famous riff
and guess who came up to play drums? I was in shock when
Mitch Mitchell exploded at his
beat and wrapped the set just like
how he always does it with jimi and noel. that
was the best i could afford that evening
and i got out of there shaking my head
bcos i know i have to tell Res somebody
followed him to do the tune. Through the
entire song listening watching stevie and
mitch and tommy shannon akala ko nasa
Sherry Club ako watching listening res,
jun and rollie chopping down Voodoo Child
note for note and a bit more like the good
ol' nights just before closing time at midnyt!

Offline ritchieblackmore

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »
I used play some of Resty Fabunan's songs..Estranghero, Exodus, Sarumbanggi, Kumusta mga kaibigan...This guy from Olongapo a brilliant guitar player during early70's..Naglabas din cla ng album early 80's featuring Sarumbanggi instrumental...Hats of to Resty and his Maria Cafra...Pioneer of Pinoy Rock..

"Estranghero"
feature=player_detailpage

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
legend
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline vitek

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »

Favorite kong kanta nila "Kumusta Mga Kaibigan"

The Legendary Pinoy Rock Icon :mrgreen:
♫ Transgression and Instrumental Virtuosity ♫                                                             

Offline arvin19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
Resty Fabunan is one of the best Pinoy guitarist...He may not be exploding fast shred type of player pero he is very smart in the preference and usage of notes  :)

Offline harm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
mas malupit ang exodus kesa sa wally's blues.

peace!!!

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
Link naman ng Exodus sa youtube please...

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
panalo ang maria cafra, isa sa mga hinahangaan kong gitarista si sir resty fabunan. lalo na yung sarung banggi at exodus - hindi nga super shred pero feel na feel ang tugtugan!  :-D
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com