hulika

Author Topic: Calling all chess players here!  (Read 58733 times)

Offline Yakuza ヤクザ

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Calling all chess players here!
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »
lets play at chesshere.com, i do usually play 1 min blitz/bullet game.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »
Chess tayo minsan, bro :)

Same handle on chess.com?
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2014, 11:47:12 PM »

Same handle on chess.com?

ianbraza bro. But I seldom play there, mas madalas ako sa Yahoo! Games :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
ianbraza bro. But I seldom play there, mas madalas ako sa Yahoo! Games :)

Added (chess.com).  Hope to catch you sometime. :)
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2015, 01:03:09 PM »
http://www.chess.com/blog/siore/time-win-only

Time win only.  Analysis welcome from fellow chess lovers.  I'm one pawn down, and have lost the center.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline reno_of_the_turks

« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »

Time win only.  Analysis welcome from fellow chess lovers.  I'm one pawn down, and have lost the center.
re

Your opponent got a strong center that is rolling. But that will not happen if you did not blundered a pawn. Instead of 8.nxd4, you should have played 8.cxd4 to protect the e5 pawn from capture. Instead of 28 Qd3, you should have played 28 nf2 to prevent the e4 of black.If you want to improve you should try to eliminate simple blunders like this. Try to solve chess puzzles.

Below is good site for practicing tactics.

http://chesstempo.com/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:21:59 AM by reno_of_the_turks »

« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2015, 06:40:05 AM »
Here are list of good chess lessons. Studying them will help improve your game. Sa chess hindi pwede laro lang ng laro. Kung gusto ninyo mag improve you need to study strategy,endgames at tactics.

Tactics
http://www.chesstactics.org/
10 Basic Checkmates to know
http://chess.about.com/od/tipsforbeginners/ss/BasicCheckmates.htm

Endgames Basics.
King And Queen vs Lonely King
http://www.chess-insights.com/king-and-queen-vs-king-basics.html
King and Rook vs King
http://www.chess-insights.com/king-and-rook-vs-king-basics.html

King and Pawn vs King
Chess Endgame: Opposition & Pawn Promotion
Chess Lesson: Queen vs. pawn near promotion

Strategy
Chess Strategy- Good vs Bad Bishops
Chess Strategy- Outposts
Chess Strategy- Open vs Closed Games
The Bishop Pair
Pawn Sacrifices for the Initiative!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:22:57 AM by reno_of_the_turks »

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
lol
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
re

Your opponent got a strong center that is rolling. But that will not happen if you did not blundered a pawn. Instead of 8.nxd4, you should have played 8.cxd4 to protect the e5 pawn from capture. Instead of 28 Qd3, you should have played 28 nf2 to prevent the e4 of black.If you want to improve you should try to eliminate simple blunders like this. Try to solve chess puzzles.

Below is good site for practicing tactics.

Thank you for taking time to analyze that. I think nf2 is also weak since it blocks the rook file. But it's amazing you can call the early central pawn exchange a simple blunder, when the pawn storm came much later on. I don't think that was a matter of tactic. Strategy maybe, but the opponent might just be opportunistic with the positional weakness I developed. There is nothing simple about a chain of moves that happened 5-10 moves in after the crucial moment.

So I think you blanketed a bit over the game. And that's maybe why I'm a 1100-1200 and you are maybe 2500+.

lol

Why don't you try posting some of your games? We have a good coach here who's paying attention at least. :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
Thank you for taking time to analyze that. I think nf2 is also weak since it blocks the rook file. But it's amazing you can call the early central pawn exchange a simple blunder, when the pawn storm came much later on. I don't think that was a matter of tactic. Strategy maybe, but the opponent might just be opportunistic with the positional weakness I developed. There is nothing simple about a chain of moves that happened 5-10 moves in after the crucial moment.

So I think you blanketed a bit over the game. And that's maybe why I'm a 1100-1200 and you are maybe 2500+.

Why don't you try posting some of your games? We have a good coach here who's paying attention at least. :-D

It's a tactical blunder cause you lost a pawn. A tactical blunder is when you lose material. Since  you lost a pawn without compensation(and a center one) nagkaroon siya ng strong center. Kung tumira ka ng 8. cxd4 di sana hindi ka pawn down. Iyung pawn structure ng kalaban mo after your pawn blunder,with strong players such plan of pushing the center pawns is not really that hard to see.
Sa mga masters play nga nag sacrifice pa sila ng whole piece just to win center pawn, para makagawa sila ng strong pawn roller.Ung pawn avalanche/roller, alam nila na mangyayari kahit few moves away pa(pattern recognition and calculation).

Sample game sacrifice of a piece for pawn roller. At move 11 black sacrifice a whole knight for pawn roller.
http://chess-db.com/public/game.jsp?id=301116.14100177.46707200.27517

At move 24, white sacrifice his knight for pawn roller.
http://chess-db.com/public/game.jsp?id=1303422.8601283.166521600.27781

Anand sacrifice a rook against Kasparov for a pawn roller.
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1018624

Ung nangyari sayo ganun din. Usually mahirap na ang position kapag na blunder ang center pawn mo na wala naman sufficient compensation(unless of course your opponent makes a tactical blunder or misplayed his position).
I think iyung 13. nxc6 is not a good move. Natulungan nun na lalo lumakas center ng kalaban mo. Iyung nxc6, playable un in other position(gaya sa sicilian taimanov), pero sa kaso mo na pawn down ka sa center.

Nf2 is necessary to prevent e4 that will make his initiative even stronger. After his e4 kasi nabasag niya position mo.Just to make sure, I loaded your game sa computer chess program after move 28, un nga ang suggestion ng Rybka 2.3 ay nf2 as top move.But even with nf2 your opponent has a good advantage. Your opponent's center structure is common and with strong players it's not really hard to see the plan of center pawn push. In fact this center pawn push is a common plan in such structure.Mga masters minsan nagsacrifice pa ng rook for a knight or bishop or even a whole piece para lang makakain ng center pawn for a center roller. 

I look at one of your game like this http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1073827998. The usual culprit of your defeats are blunder(losing a piece or pawns). Do you solve chess tactics problems?

I think you are 1100 player because you don't study endgames, strategy and tactics from books and videos? Now kung ang gusto mo lang ay maglaro okay lang iyon kahit hindi mo na pagaralan ang chess. Pero kung gusto mo mag improve, you need to study chess.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:26:24 PM by reno_of_the_turks »

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
Hey reno, first off. Thanks for that in-depth analysis. Any chance you coach professionally? It's different playing games, studying tactics, revisiting games played by the masters, and studying openings and middlegames  on your own, than to actually have someone look at your games and point out your weaknesses. Kudos to you, and let me tell you firsthand I appreciate the effort.

Yes, I do study a lot when I do not play, usually after a string of losses. Some losses I know I deserve, some I just know I did well but somehow lost tempo and/or material. Some are just plain stupid. But after studying, I find I need to play otherwise it's just a mental note of the lesson easily forgotten. But you're right maybe I play too much.

I do remember that game of mine you posted. My oh my did I hate that 25.Qxe5. I felt it could've ended differently without it. No matter how any puzzles I solve, sometimes I just lose step or drop the ball like on that occasion.

About the other game, thanks for the advice, with emphasis on the central pawn. It's just something I read about, but only after that look you did at my game was I able to grasp it fully. Next time I'll be on the lookout, since as you say, it's so common with strong players.

And oh, do you have an chess youtube channel? I find it fascinating sometimes watching stuff GJchess or MatoJelic posts. Very instructional for a novice like me.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »
Minsan nagtutor ako ng chess.

I check some of your games, and you have lots of game where you got the better position. I think your positional understanding is improving. Unfortunately it's the blunder that messed up your positions. Well making elementary blunders, on frequent basis, is really common among improving/novice players. What's amusing is that you can solve harder problems but make simple blunders right? I think the thinking process is main culprit on why novice players make elementary blunders a lot. You might solve many chess puzzles, but if you can't address the problem of thinking process, you will still see many blunders in your game.

Here are my tips to improve your thinking process:

1. Always look/scan the whole board

If your opponent is thinking don't forget to scan the whole board.Before you make a move,don't forget to scan the whole board(checking the position of your pieces and opponent's pieces). Let say your opponent makes a move on the left side of the board, you have tendency to look only on the area where your opponent makes his move right? What if your opponent has a bishop on the corner right side?Since you are not looking at that side, you put your pieces on its capturing range. As a result you lost a piece. The moral of this?Always scan the whole board.

2. Before you make a move, check if there is a tactical drawback. Before you make a move, check in advance what your opponent might play.

For example, you are thinking to place your queen on a good square. Now if you don't check for tactical drawback(or what your opponent might move before you do yours) it can be costly. What if that square where you will put your queen is a blunder? Because after your opponent makes a bishop move your queen is pin against your king. If you check for tactical drawback before you make a move, blunder such as this can be avoided.

3. Always study your opponent's last move.
4. Don't play bullet games. Reserve this when you are already a better player.
5. When you solve chess problems, try to remember the patterns.

I don't have a youtube chess video. But I will suggest that your try to look at the videos of king crusher, Seirawan and Smirnov as they are instructive. Try to search Kasparov crushing with initiative video(it's also instructive).

If you have setbacks with your quest for improvement, don't be discouraged. Chess improvement takes time.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:24:25 PM by reno_of_the_turks »

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
Good stuff. ^-^  I hope others take time to post some of their games as well.  We could be like chess-aholics anonymous, and support each other by analyzing games together.  The chess.com site has a good games editor, just copy/past the moves list in the PGN viewer.

Resulting in

I think state of mind comes into play a lot as well.  I've learned (/keep learning) bitterly not to play when I'm just bored, pissed off, or feeling too confident.  It's really those times when I pay the price dearly.  Being brash has no place.

On the other hand, being patient, clinical, and malevolent is very much a chess asset.

Case in point.

I admire how he can, from one position, look ahead 3-5 moves with ease, and he can just as immediately, return the pieces to where they all were.  See also, his demeanor when he's talking about it in retrospect, at every turn wanting to do damage to his opponent, and happily considers every means of making him miserable.  Top-level chess players can be the meanest, baddest individuals on earth, they just show it on the board with a poker-face fascination..  ang angas lang nila like that.  :lol:
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »
About returning the pieces to where they all were before. Do you know former world chess champion Alekhine? Alekhine evidently possesses the most remarkable chess memory that has ever existed. It is said that he remembers by heart all the games played by the leading masters during the last 15-20 years(ung kapanahunan niya siyempre).

There are masters who can play more than 20 game simultaneously while being blindfold. Angas diba?

« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2015, 06:21:51 AM »
Chess Tactics Lessons

Chess Tactics: X Ray

Chess Tactics- Windmill

Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Offline dharzfreeman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
PHILMUSIC EQUALIZER

Offline allegria24

• Philmusicus Noobitus
entire chess book library for sale to buy new pedal ... - 09178872298
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
entire chess books library for sale to buy new pedal ... - 09178872298

My great predessesor IV and III, encyclopaedia of chess opening B (sicilian defence,carro khan, french etc). The art of positional play by sammy reshevsky,combination the heart of chess by irving chernev classic to. Rookendings by smyslov classic din. Black is Ok by andras adojan, etc 4500 lang.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:51:44 PM by allegria24 »

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
Learn from the game of current world chess champion Magnus Carlsen.

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2015, 08:48:49 PM »
Deadly Combinations: Boden's Mate

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
alam ko yung mga galaw ng mga chess pawns pero pagdating sa pag analyze ng laro o yung mga chess tactics bokya ako.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
alam ko yung mga galaw ng mga chess pawns pero pagdating sa pag analyze ng laro o yung mga chess tactics bokya ako.

Iyung mga chess tactics hindi naman siya mahirap intindihin. Pero siyempre para mag improve sa tactics, kailangan pag-aralan/mag solve ng mga chess tactics problems.

Iyung sample ng mga chess tactics ay na post ko(youtube) dito gaya ng x-ray.

Eto simple/easy chess tactic example using pin.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:14:36 PM by reno_of_the_turks »

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
Carlsen's blindfold exhibition against 3 opponents. Carlsen is the current word chess champion.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
alala ko tuloy charlie wilson's  war yung guy na tatlo kalaban nya sa chess pinag sabay sabay nya sa park.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »

Nice.