hulika

Author Topic: Ely Buendia's "Wanted: Bedspacer"  (Read 17089 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ely Buendia's "Wanted: Bedspacer"
« on: September 01, 2000, 10:27:50 AM »
Ely's new single is up and playing on PhilMusic Netradio! What do you think of it?

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wanted Bedspacer Lyrics and Reactions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2000, 11:52:55 AM »
This was posted by "KatzKulet" on the Eraserheads mailing list:

Date: Fri Sep 1, 2000 3:24am
Subject: WanTeD: Bedspacer-LYRICS!

* * * [gooey brown stuff]..!! hihi.. narinig ko na ang WANTED ni ELY natin!!! ang
ganda!!! (o baka biased lang ako!?!) eh!!! shikes... elyng -ely ang
dating!!!!! parang nakakakilig na nakakalungkot na gusto mo shang yakapen..
haay. anyway... eto ang liriks! hihi... yung simulang tugtog parang
"sinturong pangkaligtasan" pero di naman as in. naalala ko lang.... [yehey!
may radio na ko sa comp! hehe. ininstall ko talaga para lang dyan!]

tiway sa philmusic!!!!!!!! =)
anyway. tama na ang dakdak.. eto...

------
"Wanted: Bedspacer"
words & music by: Ely Buendia
produced by him also

Wanted bedspacer na mabaet
dapat ay marunong magligpet

wanted, kailangan
bakante na naman

wanted bedspacer ngayong gabe
kailangan ko ng katabe

wanted, kailangan
bakante na naman

wanted bedspacer inquire inside
hinding-hindi na makapag-antay

wanted, kailangan
bakante na naman

wanted: bedspacer...

--->
"for d." raw. wow naman... nakakaingget!! biruin nyo, mahal na nga sha ni
ely, tapos dedicated pa sa kanya ang buong album... how sweet is that??? ang
swerte ni D!!! =)
haaaaayyy... inggit ako!! waahhH!!! ILA!! pakinggan mo na!!! dali!!!! at yung
ibang di pa naririnig!! okay sha!!!!
sabi diba kelangan daw nya ng katabe... ako na lang!! ako na lang!!! hehehe..
marunong naman akong magligpet eh!!! mabait naman ako ah?!

shutup ka na nga!
hehe.
-[k][a][t][z][k][L][t][z]-
nanginginig.
nanlalamig.
di mapakali.
tinamaan na naman ni ELY.
tama na ang tortuuuuuurreeee....

Offline Deacon_Frost

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2000, 09:46:16 PM »
Well I've heard it on the radio and what I can tell is this guy needs to stop recycling his riffs and try to write lyrics which has sense.  He is using that Beatlesque sound again and it really shows that he is running out of ideas what to write.

For many years the Eraserheads have been one of the most overrated bands in the philippine music today same with their clones Parokya Ni Edgar.  They have been living with the same five chords in their entire career that finally they have been drained out of their creative juice.

Philippine music today is at it's all time low for the past several years where every band or artist tries to completely copy the image and sound of their favorite artist e.g. Regine-Mariah; Cheese-Greyhoundz-Slapshock;Korn-Limp Bizkit Carlos Agaton-Dj Mo;2pac/Eminem.

There are no famous artist today who can come up with their own sound or image.  The lack of identity whether its from an image point of view or from a musical point of view is what's killing the Philippine Music Scene today.

I hope Our Artist takes some risk; try to expand their horizons instead of just copying the styles of American/European Artist.

If you like Ely's song fine...I dont like it..I'm quite disgusted by it but To each is his/her own right.

Offline frodo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2000, 11:03:56 AM »
Well now we know why the guy has a John Lennon poster in his apartment and always tries to approximate the vocal delivery of "Across the Universe" ... but influences (or rip-offs) aside, I'm really impressed with the sonic quality for a supposed home recording. Does anyone have any info about what's in his home studio?

Offline plasid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
back to alternative.. alright
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2000, 09:18:37 AM »
we all know this song has been getting a lot of airtime in nu. it has this distinctly alternative style instead of the sugarcoated , spoon fed , maka-masa pop that we usually get from the eheads.
it kinda sounds like a cross between the "adore" sound of smashing pumpkins and the moby.

anybody know where to listen to the other singles?

Offline Imakuni?

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2000, 08:59:42 PM »
Eto personal honest opinion lang, I really like the instrumentation.  Siguro by this time I will be having a hard time of making-kapa to the song eh.  Ang lupit ng guitars and other tech-effects sa "wanted..." eh.  But I have one thing about the song...almost 35++ times niyang kinanta yung words na "wanted: bedspacer" lalo na sa ending.  Medyo annoying na kasi...sana dinagdagan niya ng lyrics.

Offline maria

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: back to alternative.. alright
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2000, 09:40:02 AM »
Originally posted by plasid
[Banybody know where to listen to the other singles?

I just know BMG approached Philmusic to be the exclusive internet premiere website for the single. Maybe if we all post our requests to have another single available here, BMG will give in.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2000, 11:16:04 AM »
Quote from: Imakuni?
Eto personal honest opinion lang, I really like the instrumentation.  Siguro by this time I will be having a hard time of making-kapa to the song eh.  Ang lupit ng guitars and other tech-effects sa "wanted..." eh.  But I have one thing about the song...almost 35++ times niyang kinanta yung words na "wanted: bedspacer" lalo na sa ending.  Medyo annoying na kasi...sana dinagdagan niya ng lyrics.

I agree, ang galing ng intro, catchy siya, pero nakakasawa yung ending! Pero siguro sadya yun para sabihing "trance" daw yung kanta coz it really puts you in a trance as in nakakabato siya sa huli... hehe

Offline polmags

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2000, 11:21:52 PM »
libre ba ito... as in.... <a href="http://www.rivermaya.net">FREE</a>

Offline wilma

• Netizen Level
W:B Album Review
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2000, 12:11:01 AM »
This was posted by Rody on the Circus Mailing List...

Date: Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:56pm
Subject: (No Subject)

A personal Review on Ely Buendia's new album
By Roddy Cornejo

Wanted: Bedspacer

Ely Buendia, one of OPM's Pioneer Writer and of one of the greatest pinoy band the industry has ever witness finally releases WANTED: BEDSPACER, under Musiko records of BMG Records Pilipinas.

This is Ely's offering for those who still awaits for return of the Bedspacers' (EHEADS) with their next album, also an invitation for the fans who wants to hear the other side of Ely's brilliant writing and so let's see what Ely, with the lending hands of Rommel Sancho and Dex Aguila has to offer for us applicants to his world.

Solo

As we can see, Ely took time out from his head and to his Bed to seek new music, which he would like to get his hands on.

The music got heavier, the lyrics are still the words Ely is best known for, Poetic Justice over his thoughts, ideas and the way he sees the world, Love songs at his touch and also with the touch of different music type. Among the era he used in some of his songs is Techno, what his bandmate Raimund Marasigan had done with the NATIN99 which also suits well with Ely's bass and drumbeats.

The guitar effects had changed into heavier ones and still with the Phaser and delays that Ely can deliver to it's music.

Cover

Cynthia Bauzon's credibility of doing Album covers of Past Eheads album and as well as other BMG artist was a great move for Ely, her style of doing album design fits the artist well with their behaviors and personalities. The cover is a painting (maybe in oil painting) of a house, made up of newpaper ads as what we see in our everyday papers, then inside are painting perhaps of the interior of the house with a hanging pictures of a girl(cynthia kaya?) and of Frannie wei of fruitcake, still with more newspaper classified ad's cuts. i salute Cynthia for her work in the album.

The bedspacer's goodnyt songs

Wanted: Bedspacer

First Single of the Album, All three had put together their modern instrument effects and Technos. The beats goes well with the delays of both Bass and guitar, also with Ely's slow but smooth tone, you could feel the bass go with the flow of the vocals esp. at the last extension lines. A song for homeowner's who puts up a bedspacer offer provided they obey some rules and why he wants to have a bedspacer.

Monday Maundae

First tagalog song of the album wherein Ely had done all the instrumentals and vocals, one of my favorite of the album, A bit of Jazz with more of Techo.   At first I thought it was "It's Monday out there" an Eheads song during their POP-U days due to its first line of the lyrics which also goes "It's Monday out there' but come to think of it, it also intacts with the way heads lyrics would go. If you're a Sting fan, then you can say it got Ely by his(sting) Influence, The bassline is relaxing. With it's mixture with Techno, who says Jazz can't play to the fast beat? a relaxing song for the stressed.

Kakaiba

Another All-Ely single, This song for me is a Techno way of saying I Love you, with Ely killer love lyrics and with the touch of Techno; the result, a phasertic, Groovy sound with a cool bassline to go along. I like the lyrics too, its touching, a huwag kang matakot aftermath maybe.

Santo

Now, my over-all favorite, a tagalog song with the touch of the 70s stuck in the 21st century's Techno dimension, with the same touch of Ely's love songs writing and arrangement, this song deserves to be a hit, hope to be, after Wanted: Bedspacer. The Drums is awesome, I'm hands down with Dex's Drumbeats, it blends well with Ely's Heavy guitars and lead, the bassline in the stanza mix well with Dex's fast beat. I think Ely used a heavy distortion like maybe BOSS METAL ZONE or perhaps a MARSHALL DRIVE MASTER, whatever it is, it's heavy and had surprised me a lot. I wish for the heads to do this with Lemon doing the drums exactly the way in the album, Sana. a song wherein someone made a decision which he no longer cant regret erasing himself as a saint, i cant find any comparison with other eheads or ely compositions.

Over 18

Another All-Ely track, this is a song with the Delay galore of Ely's vocals. The lyrics is okay if you're going to read it, an 80s track to compare.

Tapos na

Another favorite and another heavy track, this Ely-Sancho tag team partnership has produce a well-arrange song with Sancho's lead and bass, the 2-man arrangement and Ely's Drums could make the song a hit too.

Acid Tongue

Another 2-man arrangement, Ely and Dex had combined Blues with Pop, with Dex's drums, this song can put more blues and pop together in the future. The Guitar intro kinda reminds me of Raymund Golamco of MOJOFLY, the heavy effect and intro can make Ely and Rann combine awesome blues guitar in a Mojofly future song maybe.

Oras

This time, likely easy to compare with a RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE track, this All-Ely track is another tagalog, smooth, haevy, love song, with the touch of Delay, the song can help the album climb at it's height . If you feel biting at SANTO, this can also help you fill up your expectation throughout the whole album.

Shallow Breathing

Another Ely-Dex partnership, it's a slow but heavy track with a great intro.

Hotchik

A 100% dance track for those who love to dance along to, with addition voice of Ely, this can go along with MTV's Party Zone, I can use this for an Ad for a disco or something techno, It's so Groovy, the Basline-Drums combination works perfectly, Keyboards also blended well with this dance track from Ely.

Epilogue

Well, after waiting for 9 days after it's first announced release date, I was surprise and I didn't expect this kind of album, but I'm glad Ely tried to experiment and I have to say the wait is worth it, Ely like what the album credits had mentioned deserved all rights(even all artist), a must for heads fan and a music lover, dont occupy your stereo....put this on.
Circus Mailing List Website: http://www.schizo-archives.com/circus

Offline jazzbo

Re: W:B Album Review
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2000, 01:04:49 AM »
Quote from: wilma
This was posted by Rody on the Circus Mailing List...

Date: Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:56pm
Subject: (No Subject)

A personal Review on Ely Buendia's new album
By Roddy Cornejo

Wahoo!!! Ang gleng gleng naman ni Pareng Rody... o, yung Rivermaya FREE album naman, paki-review plis!

Offline jazzbo

Inquirer Review!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2000, 01:36:56 AM »
http://www.inquirer.net/issues/sep2000/sep16/lifestyle/entertainment/ent_main.htm

Ely Buendia finds a new love
By Poch Concepcion

LIFE ain't easy at the top. Contrary to popular perception, not all rock stars wallow in wealth and enjoy its decadent perks.  

Emptiness
In the view of chief Eraserhead Ely Buendia, probably the worst thing that could happen to a successful musician is to feel haplessly alone in overcoming the attacks of emptiness that sometimes gnaw through his soul.

Four months ago, Buendia told us he was envious of the fact that his bandmates were involved in side projects-drummer Raimund Marasigan as guitarist of Sandwich (and producer of Ciudad's debut album), and lead guitarist Marcus Adoro as occasional sideman and collaborator of Pepe Smith.

When an opportunity to produce a new album for Rico J. Puno surfaced, Buendia lost no time and sat down to write the songs. But, as fate would have it, he said: ''Na-in love ako sa mga kanta, kaya naisip kong dapat siguro ako na lang ang mag-record nito.''

The result is a solo album with the rather mundane title, ''Wanted: Bedspacer.'' A typically deadpan expression for Buendia, although it can't hide the lofty efforts that went into its production.

In most tracks, Buendia plays guitar, bass, synthesizers, drum machine and sings by himself-assisted only on a few cuts by two session players-while recording in the cozy confines of his home studio in Quezon City.

Uneasy feeling
Listening to the album, one can't help but nurse an uneasy feeling about what Buendia has done. We're quite sure some Eraserheads fans are bound to react in a negative manner. What the heck is Ely trying to prove anyway, that he can do it alone, even if all that electronics stuff sounds rather bland and aimless?

This, however, should not faze the earnest listener. If anything, there exists an underlying depth and interweaving relationship between the songwriter and his output.

It's bad to ignore, nay suppress, the inspiration that emanates from personal experience, and this Buendia relies on to give meaning to his newfound condition.

The guy has found a new love, and the accompanying excitement, anxiety, guilt, remorse and resolve that go with it throbs like pulse beats throughout the album.

What one should ignore is that these songs were written for another artist because, for all intents and purposes, Buendia has obviously fashioned a persona that speaks only like him and acts his age.

In ''Santo,'' he intones: ''Kailangan ko siya/ Walang magagawa/ Kung kasalanan ito/ Ayoko nang maging santo…'' It seems like, in this song, not everyone approves of the woman he has fallen for. In any case, the man involved does not want a future haunted by remorse: ''Di nais tumanda na nagsisisi/ Uhaw sa mga dapat na nangyari…''

Romance
Similarly, the themes in ''kakaiba,'' ''Over 18,'' ''Shallow Breathing'' and, to a certain extent, the title track, echo the warmth of romance. Yet somehow, there resides an overbearing coldness mainly caused by a decisive move to wrap the songs' arrangements with synthetic dance rhythms. An act of artistic license, perhaps, on the part of Buendia to deconstruct the mythic sound that has come to be identified with his own band.

Whatever disappointment they may bring to the fans, the seemingly pointless techno sound exercises Buendia has employed in his solo venture are steered back into vibrant textures by guitarist Romel Sanchez, more properly known as Sancho, an executive at BMG Pilipinas and who incidentally shares Buendia's apartment.

The crucial contributions of Sanchez are most appreciated in ''Tapos Na,'' a song that refuses to accept the threat of ending a relationship.

But the album playfully starts with a candid expression of desire, longing and belonging. As the title track posits, ''Wanted bedspacer ngayong gabi/ Kailangan ko ng katabi…''

Firm resolve
Notwithstanding a couple of tunes that stray from the dominant subject (''Monday Mundance,'' ''Acid Tongue''), this is one work which, in the final analysis, demonstrates a firm resolve to cultivate the seeds sown by a stubborn love (''I want to find you a place where we can live in disgrace'').

Never mind the nagging predilection to sound different from the Eraserheads, even as we are almost convinced that the effort is largely influenced, too, by the seductive mating rituals imploded by dance beats most explicit in ''Hotchik,'' the cut that ends the album.

Not quite, really, 'cause another track, untitled and nowhere in the credits, plays on and features a distinct, sensual female voice cooing something about ''midnight.''

Do we see Buendia hovering in the background, smiling now and thinking all that is nothing but fun?

Offline jazzbo

Another Cool Review posted in Circus
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2000, 01:41:19 AM »
Date: Fri Sep 15, 2000 4:15am
Subject: another W:B review

here's a little review of my own:

as usual, i don't know how to start this, so i'll just review the songs.  
well, here goes! pls bear with me, heheheh...

1.  wanted bedspacer
   well, by this time, i think most of us here have already heard this carrier
single / title track (thanks to boss jim & philmusic!)... and i think it's
safe to say that almost everyone here knows that this track ROCKS!!!  
awesome basslines by ely, cool delay bass & delay guitars by sancho, smooth
drum parts by dex! this is really hypnotizing! the way ely sings/mumbles
"wanted bedspacer" repeatedly at the end entered my subconscious ever so
subtly, that i wasn't even aware i was singing it over & over again too til
my officemates called my attention! heheheh... weird!
special mention:  ely's basslines

2.  moday mundane
   HEY, IT'S MONDAY!!!, according to the little rat in the song.  ely did
everything in this track.  as usual, great songwriting & the bassline was
also good.  you can hear him sing the lines "it's monday out there, i feel
it in the air" among others, the way a really bored man does.  i think ely
hates mondays as much as i do, heheheh!
special mention:  basslines & drum machine

3.  kakaiba
   well, as the title sez: KAKAIBA!  "kakaiba ang feeling ko sa E-yo..." crazy
song!  a techno track, & i don't know what effects ely used for him to sound
that crazy, heheheh!  cool song nevertheless...
special mention:  ely's voice

4.  santo
   "kailangan kita, walang magagawa. kung kasalanan ito, ayoko nang maging
santo..."  a love song disguised as a rock track.  i think the bassline &
drum parts were influenced by "HAWAII FIVE-O".  of course, i could be
wrong... dex on drums, ely on drum machine, and all i can say is "nice mix!"
  (i wonder how they can do it live?)  off topic:  rody, the drum machine &
real live drum parts were overdubbed, so it's hard to figure out w/c is real
& w/c is not.  but i'll do my best =)
special mention:  dex's drums & ely's drum machine parts

5.  over 18
   a love song that will make all the girls cry "aawwwwwwww!" & wish they were
"over 18", heheheh...  in my opinion, the next big thing from the album
after WB itself.
special mention:  lyrics & melody

6.  tapos na
   heavy guitar riffs by sancho, fits perfectly w/ ely's way of singing - low
& melancholic.  ely also did the backing vox on this one (i think).  another
love song of sorts... ely pleading "please, 'wag mong
sabihee-hee-hee-hee-heeing... tapos na-haah", like he was gonna die if she
says goodbye.  mushy stuff, heheheh!  another possible single.
special mention:  sancho's guitar riffs

7.  acid tongue
   kinda heavy sounding, i think ely used delay effects on his guitar here.  a
rock song w/ a blues feel in it.  dex on drums.  sounds a bit like
francism's "PEN & INK" (freeman album) on the verses.  ely being political &
rebellious (i think, heheheh)
special mention:  ely's songwriting & dex's blues-y drum parts

8.  oras
   another love song w/ the typical ely touch in it.  light on the first
parts, building up heavily towards the chorus.  phaser(?) used on guitars.  
ely also did drums here.  nice work!
special mention:  guitar effects

9.  shallow breathing
   dex on drums, evidently influenced by raimund's drum parts in "kaliwete" sa
first part / intro & choruses nung song.  heavy track.  ely wailing "coz i
was shallow breathing..." angrily, wanting to find a place where they can
live in disgrace (hmmm, wonder what that means?)  distorted guitars, heavy
basslines, the works!
special mention:  notice dex's "kaliwete-ish" drum rolls

10.  hotchik
   another dance track.  i don't think i heard any words on this one.  ely's
great on his mixing board!  he can also pass for a bassist in dem disco
mixing groups w/ his danceable basslines.
special mention:  ely's disco dance basslines

11  bonus(?) track
   maybe this is still a part of hotchik, maybe not.  mejo malayo kasi yung
interval e, saka wala yung title nya sa inlay.  cracks me up everytime i
hear it! heheheh! =)  similar to the voice effects used in KAKAIBA, mas
nakakatawa nga lang.  cute filler.  a groovy dance track, sayang ang iksi
lang =(.  hey, anyone here who can decipher the words?  pls fill me in! =)
special mention:  in the midnight... (in the midnight!)

over-all comment, two words:  HAVE IT!

yun lang, thanx for bearing w/ me.

peace, love, empathy...
- marv

Offline bosspeter

• Philmusicus Noobitus
it's good but it's too long
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2000, 11:47:18 PM »
i like it. hindi ko lang sigurado kung ang kanta na to eh tungkol sa taong mahilig mangkama ng iba-ibang tao (notice i used tao cause he could be singing it for guys or gals which is good cause i like sexual ambiguity myself hehehe), or maybe he just can't afford to rent the room by himself...he sounds sad and longing but not desperate, which is good (cause i won't buy it (the cd) if the song is too sad and desperate). btw, so what if he's influenced by the beatles and/or lennon? that's just it those are just his musical influences and nothing more. i'll buy the cd if it's available na dito sa tate. i love imports from the pinas hehehe. lalo na cds. basta ba mas madaming tagalog na kanta kesa ingles eh.

one complaint and it's very minimal: the darn song is too long. there should be an edited version of at least 3.5 minutes long. you know, so that when  i want to make a mix cd including this song it won't hog the space. yun lang.

Offline sushi

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2000, 01:46:57 AM »
too long, too ambiguous, too cramped. it seems that a simple concept nowadays merits a ton of mumbojumbo to get it across. el bimbo out of gas, plenty of steam. four heads sound better than one.

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2000, 02:20:23 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Ely's new single is up and playing on PhilMusic Netradio! What do you think of it?

Ayos! May bago na naman akong pakikinggang cool sounds. How about the latest album of Eraserheads? Patuloy na lang sa pag-awit para sa walang humpay na ligaya!!!

Anonymous

IT'schokey
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2000, 09:29:50 PM »
Itchokey!?@#

Anonymous

to deacon_frost
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2000, 10:23:33 PM »
YOU'RE REALLY ARE A FROST!!!! WHAT KIND OF COMMENT WAS THAT?!! YOU DARE TO CRITICIZE ELY'S ALBUM?!!! WELL THANKS FOR THE CRITICIZM AT LEAST YOU TOOK THE TIME TO LISTEN TO HIS ALBUM AND HAD THE TIME TO CRITICIZE... ARE YOU A DISGUSTED EHEADS FAN??? IF YOU ARE WELL, SAD TO SAY THAT YOU ARE!!!! IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO, YOU CAN LISTEN TO ELY'S ALBUM - WANTED BEDSPACER - AND BLEED YOUR HEART OUT!!!!! ("/)!!!!

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2001, 08:53:09 AM »
Quote from: Deacon_Frost
Well I've heard it on the radio and what I can tell is this guy needs to stop recycling his riffs and try to write lyrics which has sense.  He is using that Beatlesque sound again and it really shows that he is running out of ideas what to write.

For many years the Eraserheads have been one of the most overrated bands in the philippine music today same with their clones Parokya Ni Edgar.  They have been living with the same five chords in their entire career that finally they have been drained out of their creative juice.

Philippine music today is at it's all time low for the past several years where every band or artist tries to completely copy the image and sound of their favorite artist e.g. Regine-Mariah; Cheese-Greyhoundz-Slapshock;Korn-Limp Bizkit Carlos Agaton-Dj Mo;2pac/Eminem.

There are no famous artist today who can come up with their own sound or image.  The lack of identity whether its from an image point of view or from a musical point of view is what's killing the Philippine Music Scene today.

I hope Our Artist takes some risk; try to expand their horizons instead of just copying the styles of American/European Artist.

If you like Ely's song fine...I dont like it..I'm quite disgusted by it but To each is his/her own right.  

well said