hulika

Author Topic: Wolfgang: Semenelin  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wolfgang: Semenelin
« on: February 10, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »
Released: 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Instumental Rock

Tracks:
01. Love & Despair
02. Bought & Sold
03. I...
04. Mata ng Diyos
05. Cathedral of Space
06. Center of the Sun
07. Beast
08. Weightless
09. Semenelin
10. Blue 11
11. Mula sa Kamandag
12. New Mother Nature/Verwirrung
13. Change

After hearing some Wolfgang songs a few times, I decided to go out on a limb and buy this album to see if I'd like it. Basti is an amazing singer, he can hit high and low notes and go from one to the other with incredible precision. Manuel Legarda is, in my opinion, one of the greatest filipino guitarist ever. I can't tell you how good the guitar on this CD sounds. Mon and Wolf excels on bass and drums respectively. And unlike a lot of new rock and metal, you can actually HEAR the bass throughout most of the songs very clearly- which is a good thing, since the bass is just as fast and pounding as the guitar. You've got everything you'd ever want-great singing, incredible guitar playing, fast drums, and a groovy bass. My favourite tracks are "Mata ng Diyos," "Weightless," "Semenelin" and "Center of the Sun."

This second album was more of a statement. A lot of people thought that the first album was of pure luck and that they were riding the 'mestizo' effect and all those things that come with the territory. So, the Semenelin album was their way of saying, **** you all! There's no [gooey brown stuff] in what they're doing. Semenelin showed everyone that they're serious musicians.

I love everything about it. The songs never get boring. If it was stolen, I would buy it again that day.

Rating:5/5
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:57:57 PM »
The thing about Semenelin is... great songs and performance - bad recording. I think even Wolfgang admitted it. The first two Sony albums that Wolfgang recorded (Semenelin and Wurm) were done at Hit productions, an all digital studio ... that didn't really handle digital that well at the time (96,97). So the problem is these albums sounded too trebly, too shrill, too metallic (and that's not metal in a good way).  The drums especiually the cymbals sounded awful.

By contrast the albums recorded by Wolfgang at Tracks studios (Serve in Silence and Black Mantra) have a more organic warmth to them - the drums sound great, warm toms, cymbals are just right, vocals bass and guitars were great. The Engineer was Angee Rozul and when you compare these albums to the ones recorded at Hit, the difference is night and day and you finally know why he gets all those awards. Wolfgang liked his work so much they gave him co-producer status.

Offline cat_eyes_gb

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 12:50:20 AM »
how can i 4get semenelin? I was in highschool and metal was all the rage. Basti is an EXCELLENT< EXCELLENT lyricist, pro ngaun ko lng na realize ung guitar wizardry ni mon legarda...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 08:19:22 PM »
Quote from: cat_eyes_gb
how can i 4get semenelin? I was in highschool and metal was all the rage. Basti is an EXCELLENT< EXCELLENT lyricist, pro ngaun ko lng na realize ung guitar wizardry ni mon legarda...

ahhh. it's MANUEL Legarda... and MON Legaspi...  :D

Offline zteeg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 06:19:27 PM »
i think semenelin was their best record, followed really closely by the first self-titled album. but true, production could've been waaay better.

wurm, although a concept album, didn't really have outstanding songs. i think when it came to black mantra, the band was just repeating themselves.

it was a nice enough exit for one of the best bands in the country  :twisted:
CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Offline negative_ion

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
Quote from: cat_eyes_gb
pro ngaun ko lng na realize ung guitar wizardry ni mon legarda...

Hahahaa. I didn't know Mon Legaspi and Manuel Legarda got married! Are you a fan of Wolfgang? If so, then some fan you are.

Offline zteeg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 11:56:16 AM »
mwhahahahahahaha  :lol:
basti gemora?  :twisted:
CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Offline hks_imprezd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 06:53:22 AM »
man, til this day i still listen to wurm. all the songs there are freaking amazing. pinaka fav ko ay emperor wurm. ang lupit kasi ng solo. gustung gusto ko and mga notes at style na ginamit ni manuel legarda. lalo na ang ending. sa banda ko ako and flip. yung isang gitarista namin favorite rin nya wolfgang. pati mga kanta sa tagalog gusto rin nya :D   sayang ngalang di na sila banda. ni hindi ko  man lang sila na pakinggan ng live :cry:

Offline baby_poly

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 12:35:53 AM »
Wolfgang led me into this kind of music. I used to listen to some crappy songs like some teenagers did. I was 13 then when I first heard them, and instantly, i fell in-love with Basti's voice.
I'm living on the edge of a broken dream.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »
One of the best albums I've heard from a local act.

Offline The D

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 10:16:07 AM »
Bought Semenelin back in highschoo. Hanggang ngayon gumagana pa rin yung tape. I think its Wolfgangs best album.

Offline e-leg

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 02:08:53 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika

By contrast the albums recorded by Wolfgang at Tracks studios (Serve in Silence and Black Mantra) have a more organic warmth to them - the drums sound great, warm toms, cymbals are just right, vocals bass and guitars were great. The Engineer was Angee Rozul and when you compare these albums to the ones recorded at Hit, the difference is night and day and you finally know why he gets all those awards. Wolfgang liked his work so much they gave him co-producer status.

Yup I agree, Angee Rozul is one heck of an engineer. He can make the most awful band on earth sound like a pro. As for semenelin vs. wurm, I think wurm sounds better, as far as sound engineering is concerned. But lyrical-wise, both albums are classic!
"drink life as it comes. straight no chaser"

Offline bigtimecommercial

Re: Wolfgang: Semenelin
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 12:56:48 AM »
There's a story behind the songs in the album WURM. Pero if you'll read the SEMENELIN lyrics, may concept story. prophecy about second coming and the future. o siguro misconception ko lang un.
Growing old isn\\\'t bad at all.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »
One of the best albums I've heard from a local act.

Agree!

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 10:07:23 AM »
wtf!... one of the best outputs of any filipino band ever!

one cool thing about this album, is the way it was marketed..

buy the weightless single (which has roadworthy man as b-side) and you'll get the album for free!

how cool is that huh?
LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline AkelleFusion

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 10:16:08 AM »
agree

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »
one of my favorite album of wolfgang. fav na song ko is bought and sold. so addicted with the solo..

Offline mariachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
best album for me too. fave song: Cathedral of Space  :-) blues meets hard rock baby boom!  :-)
That in all things, God may be glorified!

Offline musikanitwist

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
**wolfgang drool**

ailabet so much!
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them.
Louis Armstrong
 http://akibanda.multiply.com  MSG RJUR PATAK BY ABS COMBO to 2959

Offline bassbacx

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 05:45:40 AM »
Bought Semenelin back in highschoo. Hanggang ngayon gumagana pa rin yung tape. I think its Wolfgangs best album.

ako din buhay pa rin tape ko, ung single and album......... wala kasi akong pambili ng CD that time.... wala rin kaming CD player...... kung may CD lng nito ngayon eh.......
she thinks she missed the train to mars, she's out back counting stars...

a kiss that send us off.........

Offline noobie-doobie

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
waa meron ako nitong tape dati pa, asar na asar ako binaha yung ganito ko..

anyways favorite ko d2 yung "bought and sold" wala ako ma-"download" sa limewire nung orig version nito.. puro acoustic nakikita ko..  :cry:

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 04:12:59 PM »
The thing about Semenelin is... great songs and performance - bad recording. I think even Wolfgang admitted it.

Not because I was involved in the recording/production process of "Semenelin", but I think this statement is taken out of context. You have to compare that recording with other albums that came out at that time. Up until the release of "Semenelin" most rock albums were muddy sounding: indistinct kick-drums, weak and distant guitars, boomy bass, poorly applied efx like reverb, unbalanced mixes. "Semenelin" brought the guitars to the forefront, tightened up the bass and finally made the kick cut through the mix.

Of course their succeeding albums sound better.... DAPAT LANG! Aside from being able to use better gear recording and instrument-wise, they have also gained more knowledge and experience in the recording process. They have a more definite vision of how they wanted to sound.

Anyway, I do think that Semenelin raised the bar on how Pinoy Rock recordings should sound. After that album came out, lots of good-sounding local albums followed suit as well.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 08:10:05 AM »
Of course their succeeding albums sound better.... DAPAT LANG!

I'm glad the recording world has someone like Angee Rosul to give bands more bite in their sound.