hulika

Author Topic: What Did You Learn Recently?  (Read 15024 times)

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
What Did You Learn Recently?
« on: May 23, 2007, 04:08:20 AM »
I thought this thread would help us all in a very updated and entertaining manner..

for all you guys who have just learned something new in drumming share it here..be it simple as learning the right way to hold your sticks or to the most advanced techniques out there..

may this be the breeding ground for new knowledge and information for all of us..

Happy learning to all  :lol:

Godbless..

-Akira JUMBO
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
Re: what did you learn recently?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
Just last mini eb, master JP shared on how we can separate the left hand(left side brain) from the right hand (right side of the brain) by doin the 4/3 exercise...
left hand doin 4 counts while the right is doin 3's.
mahirap sya gawin.. nyahahahaha... kaya practice slow.

nasa pinoydrums mini eb series thread din etong sinasabi ko..

la lang...

happy drumming sateng lahat... :mrgreen:
We all ROCK, BUT GOD RULES!!!

Offline palolo_worm

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:26:23 AM »
Just last mini eb, master JP shared on how we can separate the left hand(left side brain) from the right hand (right side of the brain) by doin the 4/3 exercise...

hindi ba ung right side ng brain ang nagcocontrol sa left parts na body? :-) wala lang.
can you please explain this 4/3 exercise? naiintriga tuloy ako. paanong 4 counts tapos 3 counts? please?

Offline Harpoon

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »

hindi ba ung right side ng brain ang nagcocontrol sa left parts na body? :-) wala lang.
can you please explain this 4/3 exercise? naiintriga tuloy ako. paanong 4 counts tapos 3 counts? please?

This might help,bro.

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,32745.1005.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:11:15 PM by Harpoon »

Offline Harpoon

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »
To add to the 4:3 execise. There's an exercise that I'm still trying to do right (tamad ako

magpractice eh.hehe :-D) where you do a waltz feel ostinato w/ your feet (Rf,Lf,Lf: Right foot on 

the bass drum & Left foot on the hihat) on a comfortable tempo then playing 2 to 9 equal beats

over it. I think this will help your time and really feel the space between the notes that you are

playing plus developing independence also. Anyone tried this kind of exercise or a similar one?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:43:58 PM by Harpoon »

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 01:03:44 PM »
eto inaaral ko ngayon

jazz is always a good independence/coordination exercise

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 01:08:23 PM »
para sa beginners:

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 02:52:34 PM »
heeya nashbass..haha..i aint no master so no need to call me master hahaha...

lately..it was my left foot that im practicing the most since the left foot is the most unpracitced limb sometimes...

im trying to copy mr. peeves kaliwete practice stuffs...hahaha...kaliwete ka peeves ayt?... :wink:

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »

I've learned that I should practice 'tension-release' approach with my kick..nabutas na yung mufflehead ko sa bass drum eh. I still haven't got a replacement kaya yung left side ng twin peds ang ginagamit ko sa bass, using my left foot... :-D

Di muna ako bibili ng replacement...para mapilitan yung left foot ko na matuto! :lol:
So Be It.

Offline sonnaqs

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:34:43 PM »
yeah asteg!
id like to see that so i can practice it!
"never let the music die down!!"
\m/ ^__^ \m/

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:22:11 AM »
heeya nashbass..haha..i aint no master so no need to call me master hahaha...

lately..it was my left foot that im practicing the most since the left foot is the most unpracitced limb sometimes...

im trying to copy mr. peeves kaliwete practice stuffs...hahaha...kaliwete ka peeves ayt?... :wink:

sobrang O.T. sorry bro Joseph :mrgreen:

master kita jp, kasi ang haba ng buhok mo eh... inggit ako sau.. mahahabol din kita. gang balikat palang buhok ko eh... nyahahaha
We all ROCK, BUT GOD RULES!!!

Offline glynminded

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:39:38 PM »
I just learned the mozambique groove... mejo sumasabit pa pero.. man!! it's so much fun to play!!
I didn\'t know you can watch dreams in a theater?!

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 10:46:27 PM »
some basic portnoy-esque fills..... songo..thomas lang exercises for independence (the best to!!)  :mrgreen:
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 05:44:04 AM »
im taking drum lessons again..got a teacher studying doctorate in music
ive learned linear drumming, the triplet pattern in jazz that kills independence big time
well be studying brushes in the future! wee!

tapos...yung origin ng traditional grip!
tinanong ako nung teacher ko kung bakit may traditional grip, i noticed a dirty finger while playing trad and yun yung sinagot ko.. :lol: try doing the traditional grip, you'll see!

kasi daw nung war days..nakasuot yung snare drum sa army drum corps by using a sling, dahil dun yung isang side ng snare mataas (depends kung left or right handed yung tumutugtog) syempre hindi praktikal yung matched grip kasi ang taas nun! para kang weirdo pag ginawa mo yun  :lol: kaya dun nadevelop ang tinatawag nating "trad grip"!

sa opinyon ng teacher ko, mahirap yun dahil magkaiba sila ng hawak, yung isa trad yung kabilang side naman pang matched..edi magkaibang tunog ang kakalabasan nun, makes sense  :|
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 06:18:05 AM »
a few days ago, some guitarists pals of mine over here asked me to haul their gears and drive them to a musician gathering (kala ko parang grand eb so ok lang) but when i got there, i noticed several masterclasses specifically for drummers and what caught my attention was 'Emotive Drumming'...for £8 ticket i said what the hell since i was there i might as well do something while my friends were on the otherside of the venue for their guitar thing.

as soon as i walked into the designated hall, i noticed 4 stunning kits: Ayotte, OCDP, DW, SJC Drums. The ayotte looked ready for rock/pop performer, the ocdp and sjc for punk, and a massive dw with loads of cymbals for metal drumming. but what caught my eyes was the bunch of cymbals on the ayotte--Koide Cymbals. these are extremely rare but ultra exotic cymbals from Japan, so exclusive to the point that they dont even allow international distribution. and they sure sounded amazing. after hearing em, i felt like i've been kept in a box all my life with only zildjians, sabians and paistes, i was easily blown away by the look, quality and sound. i even asked the drumtech how they got hold of those. from a japanese zildjian endorser daw, i forgot the name coz it was too japanese and i was still at awe with the cymbals. anyway:

some bits of the masterclass included: stick twirling, body movements, facial expressions, head bangs, sways, theatrics, costumes, kit positioning for effecient executions, the whole shebang regarding drum showmanship. and what was really nice about it was, the genres that were covered were rock, pop, metal, and rnb...i guess they ran short of jazz and samba clinicians. nonetheless, i sure did learn a lot that day. i wish i had a camera with me coz the clinicians really did well and its a unique topic.

la lang just sharing. wish we could also have some clinician cover topics like the above effectively in manila.

:-)

Offline lil.drummerboy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »
bossa nova :lol:

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »
ako pangarap lang tlga yung makasali sa isang be-bop
jazz small band. lifetime of study on and off pag dating sa jazz drumming
but mostly imo you'll learn it in the bandstand kaso mahirap
maghanap ng ganitong grupo.

anyway i still love rock music lalu na yung luma so for me back to the
drawing board so to speak hehe refresh some things up and hopefuly
new things will come up.

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
applying left foot clave in linear patterns. :-)

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
applying left foot clave in linear patterns. :-)

WOW! :-o How do you do it bro..explain mo naman.. :lol:

Offline prjm14

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 02:34:48 AM »
ive learned linear drumming, the triplet pattern in jazz that kills independence big time

tinanong ako nung teacher ko kung bakit may traditional grip, i noticed a dirty finger while playing trad and yun yung sinagot ko.. :lol: try doing the traditional grip, you'll see!

kasi daw nung war days..nakasuot yung snare drum sa army drum corps by using a sling, dahil dun yung isang side ng snare mataas (depends kung left or right handed yung tumutugtog) syempre hindi praktikal yung matched grip kasi ang taas nun! para kang weirdo pag ginawa mo yun  :lol: kaya dun nadevelop ang tinatawag nating "trad grip"!

sa opinyon ng teacher ko, mahirap yun dahil magkaiba sila ng hawak, yung isa trad yung kabilang side naman pang matched..edi magkaibang tunog ang kakalabasan nun, makes sense  :|

makes perfect sense.. kasi nakapag marching band ako sa rotc namin and mejo mahirap pag parehas matchgrip.. cnuggest sakin na magtrad ako sa left hand ko e d pko marunong nun.. hehe kaya wala lang din.. :-D

Offline palolo_worm

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

makes perfect sense.. kasi nakapag marching band ako sa rotc namin and mejo mahirap pag parehas matchgrip.. cnuggest sakin na magtrad ako sa left hand ko e d pko marunong nun.. hehe kaya wala lang din.. :-D

sa bagay. but i think practice would tame both hands to play equally. :)
dun sa history ng trad grip, tama un. kaya ako kapag tumutugtog nakaraise ung snare ko sa left side ko. ahaha. nasanay na.

Offline prjm14

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »

sa bagay. but i think practice would tame both hands to play equally. :)
dun sa history ng trad grip, tama un. kaya ako kapag tumutugtog nakaraise ung snare ko sa left side ko. ahaha. nasanay na.
hehe, ako naman.. ung trad grip ko sa kanan, dko lang talaga alam kung bakit, tsaka kasi mahirap pag sa left hand ko kasi right handed ako.. hehe

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
songs you mean? i learned a couple - lamb of god's "Now You've got Something to Die For," and "Laid to Rest." It took me a while but it was a nice challenging set of pieces to tackle. Now, I am improving my guitar chops by focusing on fingerstlye guitar work.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I am improving my guitar chops by focusing on fingerstlye guitar work.

Ahh..I think you must have entered the wrong thread sir :?

but nice going there on you new songs.. :lol:

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 08:15:44 PM »
I am improving my guitar chops by focusing on fingerstlye guitar work.

Ahh..I think you must have entered the wrong thread sir :?

but nice going there on you new songs.. :lol:

Daimn! kala ko drummer, napa-angat ako sa upuan ko ah! :lol: :lol:
So Be It.