hulika

Author Topic: The Scale Modeling Thread  (Read 78564 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: The Scale Modeling Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
There are collectors of these kinds of kits, and the sealed boxes usually sell for top dollar esp. if the particular model has an appeal to vintage collectors. Kind of like those who collect sealed action figure characters. Check out the vintage model kit section of ebay to see comparative pricing of your kits.

Ahhh... MPC... those were the days, along with the AMT cars and dragsters. Try to look out for those crazy Ratfink/Tom Daniel hotrod designs from Monogram. http://www.ratfink.org/tomdaniel/index.html
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
The Kinetic E-2C was missing a couple of parts. Relatively minor, and I could fabricate them if I needed to, but I decided to email Kinetic and was pleasantly surprised with their quick response. It took 14 days to have the parts shipped here, but they sent me an entire sprue that contained the missing parts! Talk about service! All I had to do was pay for postage (only cost me 40 bucks) at the central post office in QC. Kinetic just got a repeat customer in me.

Last time I also needed a part replacement, it was from Monogram's EA-6B kit. This experience renews my faith in excellent customer service.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Aaaaaaggghhhh! Now a Bf-110D-3 is calling out to me... LOUDLY! I must have something like 150 unbuilt kits by now. Last count (and I used excel to organize my list), I was already at 120 kits! For the love of...

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:23 PM »
I have a few unbuilt kits here myself.. haha 2 planes and one car, I think. I have my last build from years ago in my room (a F18). Don't really have the time though.

Offline pototoy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
My first kit was a 1/48 TAMIYA Messerschmitt BG109 E-3 back in 2000. I really spent time in building and detailing it. I got so hooked to the hobby that I built so many models after that mostly TAMIYA kits (from airplanes to cars to tanks to battleships to some weird space stuff - Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, UFO.etc). I also have a lot of unopened kits but I guess thats the norm. My current project is a 1/32 McDonnell F4C/D Phantom II.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
My current project is a 1/32 McDonnell F4C/D Phantom II.

Is this the Tamiya? Beautiful kit! One thing I would love is their new 1/32 Spitfire and Mustang... awesome kits at that. Also looking intently at their big-mouth 1/48 F-16s; Hasegawa botched their F-16C a bit with the small intakes.

I've released my 1/32 F-15E from its storage confines and I'm presently building it. Presently attacking those damned intakes with white primer. Good thing I have retardant ready. Ahhh the fumes of airbrush paint and solvents...

Offline pototoy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »
Yes its a Tamiya kit. It has a pilot figure so there will be more details to it. I'm trying to make it look as real as possible.  :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
Have you tried resin pilots? They're often more detailed than stock pilots. other modelers mod the pilots with different poses and add photoetch buckles. aside from masking tape, i'm looking for a suitable substitute to model straps.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:26 PM »
Started scale modeling back in HS. My first model was a Calsonic R34 Skyline. Most of my models are cars but I've also done a couple of planes and tanks. To name a few, M1A1 Abrams, HMMWV, 747, Apache rtr(not too good with the names though).

For the cars I've assembled a R34 Vspec 2 Nurburgring ed, C class Benz touring car, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6, Ferrari Enzo, Lancia Stratos, and a Corolla rally car which I assembled together with my girlfriend. If only I have more time for this hobby I would definitely pursue this.

Oh and I almost forgot, I've built this small spitfire plane. 1/48 IICR. Beautiful plane.

For everyone who's into this hobby, you might want to check this video out.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:57:19 PM by samishellacool »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
Nice link!

Yeah, I did watch that some time ago. Never knew that James May was a modeler himself. I always wondered how much glue it took to assemble a 1:1 scale model. Now if it was as detailed a Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Vb, those kids would have been in trouble.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
Yeah, though somehow I see him as a purist. At least we're both on the same side. haha.

Well I'm not that very well informed when it comes to WWII planes and the like, but they sure do look cool. I just get really intimidated with  all the really small parts and the detail since it really is a different story when it comes to car scale models.

Oh, and how I wish airfix models we're available here in the Philippines. Haven't seen any in Lil's. Their selection of models is just overwhelming

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
Lils carried airfix a  few times, but if you really want to order Airfix as well as other items not readily found here, consider Natalie at JMN hobbies in Harrison Plaza. Talie usually references the Hannants catalogue so specialty items such as Eduards and unusual kits, resin detail sets, and other parts not usually found here can be ordered from JMN. Give up to a month for shipping. Cost is quite competitive considering that bulk shipping of orders brings the overall shipping cost down.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
Took a long weekend and tried working on the intake trunks of my 1/32 F-15E. My perfectionist side took over since its taking my days just to finish them. Coupled with the fact that tamiya acrylics tend to dry real quick in this heat; even with retarder! tried my hand at brush painting gloss white for the intakes. This is gonna be a long out-of-the-box project for me. I'll try to take some pics of the build and post them here.

Played around with some Citadel acrylics too. They're thick acrylics intended for figures, but the metallic sheens look appealing. We'll see how well they respond to airbrushing.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »
Took a long weekend and tried working on the intake trunks of my 1/32 F-15E. My perfectionist side took over since its taking my days just to finish them. Coupled with the fact that tamiya acrylics tend to dry real quick in this heat; even with retarder! tried my hand at brush painting gloss white for the intakes. This is gonna be a long out-of-the-box project for me. I'll try to take some pics of the build and post them here.

Played around with some Citadel acrylics too. They're thick acrylics intended for figures, but the metallic sheens look appealing. We'll see how well they respond to airbrushing.

If it's not too much to ask sir, can you post some pics of the models that you've built or the one's that you're working on.  :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
I'll try to post pics. The problem with having 100+ unbuilt kits is that they all call out for your attention and you only have so much time, not to mention my significant other who needs my driving skills every weekend... hay, the pitfalls of shopping!  :cry:

Good thing I loaded the ipad with lots of pdfs on various walkarounds and aerofax titles. As long as the stores she walks into have a couch, I'm golden. Shopping also gives me a chance to visit my happy place, like Lil's in Trinoma. At least I get to stock up on paints. The quest for the best metallic paint still eludes me... no one sells Alclad locally anymore.

I'm also experimenting with Kosutte Ginsan on a TIE Interceptor that I'm doing on the side. I coated the 'solar panels' with black ink from a felt tech pen, then coated it with Kosutte. I decided against using black paint so I don't obscure the detail in the panels. Next, I'm going to overspray that with Tamiya Smoke and hope it holds; Maybe coat the panels with Future afterwards. I'm trying to get that black sort of metallic sheen that you often see in solar panels. If it works, I'll post pics of that too, and use the same on Darth's TIE fighter also.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
I'll try to post pics. The problem with having 100+ unbuilt kits is that they all call out for your attention and you only have so much time, not to mention my significant other who needs my driving skills every weekend... hay, the pitfalls of shopping!  :cry:

Good thing I loaded the ipad with lots of pdfs on various walkarounds and aerofax titles. As long as the stores she walks into have a couch, I'm golden. Shopping also gives me a chance to visit my happy place, like Lil's in Trinoma. At least I get to stock up on paints. The quest for the best metallic paint still eludes me... no one sells Alclad locally anymore.

I'm also experimenting with Kosutte Ginsan on a TIE Interceptor that I'm doing on the side. I coated the 'solar panels' with black ink from a felt tech pen, then coated it with Kosutte. I decided against using black paint so I don't obscure the detail in the panels. Next, I'm going to overspray that with Tamiya Smoke and hope it holds; Maybe coat the panels with Future afterwards. I'm trying to get that black sort of metallic sheen that you often see in solar panels. If it works, I'll post pics of that too, and use the same on Darth's TIE fighter also.

Haha! Well, nothing you can do about that. She's the boss. It's nice to look at the boxes of the unfinished kits, looks pretty cool IMO. The boxes alone make little kids like me(before) go crazy. That's pretty much how I started which was about 5-6 years back. Never knew what I walked into that time I bought my first kit which is a Calsonic R34 Nissan Skyline. When I saw the parts, most of them were white and I didn't even know where to start. Haha! But I did enjoy it eventually

Cool! Where did you get that TIE Interceptor kit if I may ask? Not too knowledgeable about paints though, only had experience with tamiya paints so I can't compare them to others.

BTW. There used to be a store in Shangri-la mall that sold other branded kits, too bad it closed even before I could buy my first non tamiya kit. It was on the 5th floor I think. Can you recall the name of the store if ever you've passed by there before to pick up some kits or paint?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »
Believe it or not, I bought the interceptor, as well as all other star wars kits, way back in 1995 when I was in the US. The reason it took me this long to start assembling again was because of work, kids, wifey, and other things that whittle away at one's time. I know I have a star destroyer here somewhere, shuttle Tyderium and the Millenium Falcon! (not the small paltry version, I got the ERTL big box versions)

So here are a couple of pics of what I mentioned earlier:

On the left is one of the "wings" of the TIE Interceptor with the 'solar panels' colored with a black sign pen (not tech pen as I mistakenly called it). On the right is the other wing with the same panels treated with kosutte. I need to get some new Tamiya smoke as my original enamel version dried up already. At least I got an excuse to go to my happy place again!  :-D

I plan to spray some clear blue first over the kosutte -since most solar panels have a bluish tint- then spray over with smoke until I get the dark finish I want. Let it dry for a week and hope it holds, then I mask the panels and spray white or off-white on the framing. I might have to overcoat the entire interceptor with Future before I put on a gray wash to bring out the details. I might weather it a bit before applying a final flat overcoat.

Now the F-15E intake trunks:

On the left is the already brush painted upper trunk while the lower trunk was first airbrushed with tamiya white primer which was sanded afterwards to remove unsightly sink marks and ejector pin indents. When I was happy with the smoothness, I spray painted TS48 (gunship gray) on the front section... first time I used tamiya cans! Came out all right but there I have a little touching up to do. Masking the front was difficult because I can't see the molded line that separates the white and gray portions. Will try to brush paint again this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:13:08 PM by KitC »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
<groan> rain and humid weather... an airbrusher's worst nightmare. sigh...

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »
Yesterday, I got curious about this type of hobby. So I went to the hobby shop I always see at the mall. I was about to get a 1/35 model, but instead, I got these:

hehe, It's dirt cheap. 200 bucks each. I had fun doing it, although I effed up the first one (the hole where I will put the wheels melted.) The fun part was building it, so I can see myself in the future, building bigger kits. :)
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »
Just found out that Lil's will be closing their branch in Trinoma.  :cry:

One 'happy place' gone.

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »
Just found out that Lil's will be closing their branch in Trinoma.  :cry:

One 'happy place' gone.

Heard it too, but I also heard that it will be moved at Pasig.

I remember, after I left Lil's, my hands had dust from the boxes I browsed on their store.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »
Yup! Although they do have some interesting 'finds' there. Over at their main branch, I saw a relatively vintage (circa 1980s I think) 1/48 Monogram F-89 Scorpion. Still have my eye on that Tamiya Block 50 F-16CJ... always wanted a 'big-mouth' F-16 to add to my ever growing collection.

On a brighter note, I saw something called Tamiya panel line accent color.

Got the black one. Just the thing for the TIE fighter's solar panels!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
Another update in the new paints scene, and this is not only for scale models, but for figures too!

I've seen Citadel paints in some of the hobby stores that cater to resin and die-cast figures, but I've recently discovered a source for Vallejo acrylics! It's an art supply shop called Deovir over at the 3rd floor of SM North Edsa. As far as I can tell, this Deovir appears to carry a rather extensive line of Vallejo products! And I just happened to visit them to get a silver pencil! As usual, my first attack is to try out their metallics so I can finally start that 1/48 B-58A that's been languishing in my home.

Vallejo is a 'new-kid-on-the-block' as far as hobby paints go, but their paints are some of the best in the business and their stuff also includes pigments that can be used for dioramas as well. According to some users, you can brush paint Vallejo and not leave any trace of brush strokes - the holy grail of hobby paints IMO. One thing that piques my curiosity is that they have something called metallic medium which imparts a 'silvery iridescent effect' when mixed with other acrylic colors. I'm hoping this can capture the metallic sheen that F-22 Raptor camou has.

Stay tuned.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
matagal ng ginagamit ng barkada ko yung vallejo paints kaso pinagbibilhan nawala na sa isang hobby store tapos nalaman na deovir na distributor.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 09:11:47 AM »
matagal ng ginagamit ng barkada ko yung vallejo paints kaso pinagbibilhan nawala na sa isang hobby store tapos nalaman na deovir na distributor.

interesting... mas mura kaya dun sa hobby shop na yun? anyway, I'd like to hear from users of these paints. matagal na akong gumagamit ng tamiya at gunze acrylics. I'd like to know what caveats there are to using vallejo.