hulika

Author Topic: Strap Button Inquiry.  (Read 1501 times)

Offline carlo41786

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Strap Button Inquiry.
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
Good day to all.

I bought an acoustic guitar and it did not come with strap button at the heel though it has end pin jack.

I asked the place where i bought it(Lazer) if they can put a strap button. They said no and they don't encourage it as it may damage the heel of the guitar.

Went to other guitar shops(JB music and RJ) and got the same answer. But i don't want to believe it since i saw strap button being sold in the market and even tutorials on how to do it.

So i bought a Guitar Strap that has strings but it doesn't feel right. (Maybe just me).

Have anyone of you guys tried putting a strap button on your guitar? Did it really damage the guitar? Any recommendation, maybe a place that does this?

Thanks.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Strap Button Inquiry.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »
I've installed a couple of strap buttons on some acoustic guitars. I've never encountered problems with it as long as you do it right and do it cleanly. Drill a small pilot hole on the desired location -- a 2.5mm or 3mm drill bit should do the trick with about 1 inch depth. Then screw in your strap button.

Avoid using nails and a hammer to bore your pilot hole.

Offline carlo41786

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
A guy from one of those stores that ive mentioned said that, it may cause crack or may split the wood at the heel.

I dont want to do it or even try it, any store/shop here down south that can do the job?

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
A guy from one of those stores that ive mentioned said that, it may cause crack or may split the wood at the heel.

I dont want to do it or even try it, any store/shop here down south that can do the job?

People won't really encourage installing strap buttons on the guitars that doesn't have one out of the factory because they don't want to risk.

just look for the desired location where you want to place the strap button but make sure that it must have the capacity to hold the screw very well that it can handle the weight of guitar when carried with a strap. IMO I looked to several guitar that has a strap button installed out of the factory and where it was located. how or why it was located there. if you're acoustic guitar has a laminated heel, then you have to gently drill a hole so you won't make a lot of laminate cracks near the hole that you desire.
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
Ive done it lots of times on like all my acoustics..didnt worry or even thought about splitting the heel...

to be safe just drill a guide slot then wax the screw thread...easy as pie..

I placed mine in the center...I think tayor or martin places theirs on the side..

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:37:59 PM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
Just pre-drill the hole first with a bit that's slightly narrower than the screw of the strap button. Cracking or splitting the heel is more likely if you don't have that pre-drilled hole.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline carlo41786

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:55 AM »
I'm afraid to do it myself. I'm not a DIY guy.  :eek:

Any suggestion on where i can bring it to have it done by a Professional?

Preferably Muntinlupa, Laguna area.

Or maybe, one of you guys who have done it before can help me put a strap button. :-D P.EASE?????

Then my treat of your choice. But limited to these items: kwek2x, fishball, kikiam, isaw, bbq and proben.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:29:02 AM »
Micsis is at sucat

Offline carlo41786

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:13:56 AM »

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »
Ive done it lots of times on like all my acoustics..didnt worry or even thought about splitting the heel...

to be safe just drill a guide slot then wax the screw thread...easy as pie..

I placed mine in the center...I think tayor or martin places theirs on the side..

jun castro did this to my washburn. ok naman sya.

but these days I use the string-wraped-around-behind-the-nut ala bob Dylan.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline carlo41786

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 05:18:30 AM »
Micsis is at sucat

Texted Micsis. Very accommodating. Quoted me 200 petot to put strap button. Like!  :-D